Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

This video has some interesting examples of ways to make denser suburbs that are less car dependent but still feel fairly suburban and have lots of green space:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sA2LeHTIUI

It's too bad that there's no way to build stuff like this in the US because a lot of them look pretty nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
there really oughta be a train of some sort going from Westwood under the mountain to Sherman Oaks or whatever and on to noho

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

there really oughta be a train of some sort going from Westwood under the mountain to Sherman Oaks or whatever and on to noho

One would think! Both are fairly densely populated and UCLA and the fed building is a prime destination.

They’re building a station in Westwood now, but it will require you go to Koreatown first and then transfer, which is stupid inefficient and will make it that much less attractive to commuters.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sepulveda_Pass_Transit_Corridor

Looks like it's on the menu but lol but that's probably what, 20 years away?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
that far out its basically "let the next generation figure it out"

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Wolfy posted:

it sounds like sepultura which is a positive

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
gently caress motorcycles too. Loud rear end bullshit. You ever met a quiet motorcycle?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Woodsy Owl posted:

gently caress motorcycles too. Loud rear end bullshit. You ever met a quiet motorcycle?

Yes I own two of them

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

500excf type r posted:

Yes I own two of them

your avatar and username are also based off these things. it sounds like they’re what owns you!

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

mawarannahr posted:

your avatar and username are also based off these things. it sounds like they’re what owns you!

I have like 10 loud ones but the quiet ones have the plates

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

mawarannahr posted:

:iceburn:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

that far out its basically "let the next generation figure it out"

in my dealings with aspiring and up and coming government people in la there are a lot of "gently caress cars" people. but thats probably just my cohort. its nice to believe in a better tomorrow tho

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Wolfy posted:

Admittedly, they have been begging for more money but only a handful of project can built at a time and most of them are light rail lines with mixed traffic.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
lots to grumble about when it comes to CD13 but dan out of that office is cool & is doing a renewal of hollywood blvd which would be pretty neat.

https://heartofhollywood.la/sites/g/files/wph1656/files/2021-02/Walk%20of%20Fame%20Master%20Plan_November%202020%20%281%29.pdf

my suggestion was to remove the car lanes in the middle and replace them with a restored pacific electric red car line but they didnt go for it

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
The harder-core automotive people should also have a huge incentive to get rid of the glut of bad drivers off the road, and reduce a city's footprint. That would leave more space for them to build race tracks and more time to dedicate to their hobby without dealing with traffic, and over all safer conditions because they don't have to be on the road with poo poo drivers. Also if less money can go into buy gas, and general maintenance, more money can go into buying better parts.

Outside of new teenager drivers nobody feel super amped up to take two stops and one drift-o right turn to get a bottle of milk.

There was guy online who asked if his gundam kit building hobby was environmental bad. Nah, Everybody could take all the plastic grind them up into dust and drop it into the ocean, and it would probably be a drop in the bucket, compared to the oil, road pollution, wheel dust, noise pollution, and truck / boat production that was used to inefficiently transport it all.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 02:59 on Apr 15, 2022

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Smythe posted:

in my dealings with aspiring and up and coming government people in la there are a lot of "gently caress cars" people. but thats probably just my cohort. its nice to believe in a better tomorrow tho

where i live a bunch of the lower level employees at the DOT who design the bike lanes and pedestrian improvements have made it pretty clear that they would like to be a lot more ambitious with these projects but they're being constrained by multiple levels of car-brained superiors, up to and including the director of the department of transportation and the mayor

i guess if we arent underwater in 15 years and if these guys dont get burned out by sitting all day between activists who want more and bosses who think bike lanes are pointless at best and actively harmful at worst then maybe some of them will graduate up to more useful positions

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Norton posted:

a really nice 70 year old guy I worked with was the worst driver i've ever known. the boss was usually paying for our lunch so we went out to eat most days. whenever old man's turn was up to drive we'd be white knuckling the oh poo poo handles the entire way to get bbq. he was insane behind the wheel... like just turning around to chat with us going 80 mph down a busy highway. i eventually put my foot down and we banned him from driving us but man, watching him navigate traffic was a great insight into terrible driving.

he told me that while he lived in miami he had an attorney on retainer that could, through im sure entirely legal means, get judges to throw out his hundreds of traffic violations and tickets. he was crashing into people and things basically weekly and apparently you could just pay money and the problem goes away. he said that changed at some point so i guess thats good

i learned that tailgating and constantly changing lanes to pass everyone isn't about actually getting places faster. he just hated having someone in front of him. i think about that a lot

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

in the state of california dui is not a crime if you can afford $1500 for a lawyer

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Just the dumbest people nonstop and all armed

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

That would leave more space for them to build race tracks

Why pay for that when we have publicly funded race tracks to speed on

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2022/04/13/study-todays-ev-tax-credits-might-actually-increase-emissions/

This study says EVs result in more emissions than ICEs if they aren't driven enough miles, because mileage is where EVs become more resource efficient. But EVs are only being bought by wealthy people who don't put many annual miles on them.

quote:

According to Nunes’s model, an average electric car would need to log between 28,069 and 68,160 miles over its lifetime in order to secure it’s so-called “green lead” over an internal combustion engine alternative, depending on household travel behavior and other factors. Those numbers might seem pretty achievable — but only if households hold onto their secondary-use EVs for five to 13 years, which a lot of them don’t.

“Basically, you need to hold onto the electric car for about 10 years in order for it to deliver a substantial emissions advantage, [particularly if it’s not your primary vehicle],” said Nunes. “If you don’t, and the car is scrapped at the end of that time, you were better off driving the internal-combustion engine.”

It's good research I guess -- we need to poke holes in the convenient narrative that EVs are perfect solutions -- but how often are cars actually scrapped before 70k miles? Don't these just enter the used-car market when the original owners replace them?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2022/04/13/study-todays-ev-tax-credits-might-actually-increase-emissions/

This study says EVs result in more emissions than ICEs if they aren't driven enough miles, because mileage is where EVs become more resource efficient. But EVs are only being bought by wealthy people who don't put many annual miles on them.

It's good research I guess -- we need to poke holes in the convenient narrative that EVs are perfect solutions -- but how often are cars actually scrapped before 70k miles? Don't these just enter the used-car market when the original owners replace them?
I guess that is a reasonable point, unless it turns out that EVs don't last as long when they aren't being driven a lot as ICE cars. It still seems kind of weird to encourage that as a policy though.

Just thinking about this, I feel like it's pretty hard to account for all the impact over the life of the car.

Although assuming EVs are going to continue to improve, is it a good idea to encourage them to be bought unnecessarily now when they aren't really going to be used until they're resold in 5 years? I guess if you want to encourage production of EVs the answer is yes, although that feels sort of weird?

If you expect that something is going to change and Americans will somehow become less car dependent (as unrealistic as that seems), then that might be less good.

mystes has issued a correction as of 16:31 on Apr 15, 2022

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

What's the lifespan of the batteries themselves? I'd imagine that could serve as a hard upper limit to how long an EV could be expected to kick around on the used market like ICE vehicles can

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/kendrahurleynyc/status/1514936945251602433?s=21&t=ksnNLHXLzJcpINZELKsNLA

This is nice news, please do not interpret this post as an endorsement of the NYT overall. I see a lot of cargo bike parents around my neighbourhood, usually flying past the line of giant SUVs there to pick up their kid at a school <2 miles from home.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/DavidBarondeau/status/1514356404144033801?s=20&t=GyHaO2rtEwZjj4GFaFs6Xg

This is a hard one for people to swallow because it's outside of the norm to have to pay your employer for parking on their own property, but I'm proud of universities for sticking to their guns. Thread is full of nominally progressive people dropping their progressivism for an issue that's inconvenient for them personally.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/Mtnsbeyondmtns/status/1514667424586473473?s=20&t=GyHaO2rtEwZjj4GFaFs6Xg

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

https://twitter.com/DavidBarondeau/status/1514356404144033801?s=20&t=GyHaO2rtEwZjj4GFaFs6Xg

This is a hard one for people to swallow because it's outside of the norm to have to pay your employer for parking on their own property, but I'm proud of universities for sticking to their guns. Thread is full of nominally progressive people dropping their progressivism for an issue that's inconvenient for them personally.

thread says this guy makes 140k/year lol

I wonder if he thinks it should be free for everyone else too (but of course there aren't enough spots for everyone anyway)? i doubt it

the only free parking at the u of minn is for some on call physicians like ER docs or surgeons (not at all times, just if they are called in in the middle of the night or wherever, time can be of the essence)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Big universities can't provide parking for everyone. That's tens of thousands of spots. Mine spent a decade building parking decks all over campus, but climbing enrollment just cancelled it out. There are waitlists for parking now, and lots of people are paying for private parking spots off campus. Anyone who's complaining about the cost of parking should instead be complaining about the lack of alternatives, because there's no solution to the parking problem.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the most popular parking areas here (one is a very centrally located ramp, the other is a garage) have like a 10-20 year wait list lol

I knew a guy in college who knew someone that worked for the university transportation department, and got one of those passes that let you park literally anywhere, haha. like the ones employees who fix poo poo around campus and such have. you can park in restricted areas, you can even park right next to campus buildings in areas that are typically closed off to cars.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I still say the solution to all parking problems is just giant subterranean garages, but wah wah they cost too much

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/stanveuger/status/1514387061796659205?s=20&t=fj4a49xkyQGY6ckwPmGeHA

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I still say the solution to all parking problems is just giant subterranean garages, but wah wah they cost too much

Elon???

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Yup, let's just keep tooling along, pretending that induced demand isn't a thing, and that we should be spending our finite resources on more car infrastructure.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

do this, get all the cars in 'em, then just fill them with concrete. bing bong, so simple

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mount Doom has really affordable long term car parking

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

do this, get all the cars in 'em, then just fill them with concrete. bing bong, so simple

you have to put one of those long-term nuclear waste warning designs on top or future civilizations might dig it up and conclude that private car ownership is a good idea

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SK8PHILE6s

More "Silver Zones" in cities, please.

Infact, make the entire city a "silver zone" while we're at it

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Clark Nova posted:

you have to put one of those long-term nuclear waste warning designs on top or future civilizations might dig it up and conclude that private car ownership is a good idea

This is not a vehicle of honor... no highly esteemed mode of transportation is commemorated here... nothing valued is here.

What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.

Electro-Boogie Jack has issued a correction as of 18:40 on Apr 15, 2022

someusername
Jan 26, 2015

Norton posted:

a really nice 70 year old guy I worked with was the worst driver i've ever known. the boss was usually paying for our lunch so we went out to eat most days. whenever old man's turn was up to drive we'd be white knuckling the oh poo poo handles the entire way to get bbq. he was insane behind the wheel... like just turning around to chat with us going 80 mph down a busy highway. i eventually put my foot down and we banned him from driving us but man, watching him navigate traffic was a great insight into terrible driving.

he told me that while he lived in miami he had an attorney on retainer that could, through im sure entirely legal means, get judges to throw out his hundreds of traffic violations and tickets. he was crashing into people and things basically weekly and apparently you could just pay money and the problem goes away. he said that changed at some point so i guess thats good

i learned that tailgating and constantly changing lanes to pass everyone isn't about actually getting places faster. he just hated having someone in front of him. i think about that a lot

I had an old consulting client like that. He'd insist on driving us both to his various properties (I was putting mesh wifi, keyless entry and surveilance in his rental properties as he became a airbnb mogul, section 8/ county homeless motels on the side). He wanted underwater cameras in the pools, I declined to be part of it, he had to call his/my backup guy for that.

90mph on back roads on the phone the entire time. He estimated that he saved 30 minutes a day 6 days a week and that his time was worth $500/hr, PLUS what I was gonna charge him for travel time anyway so he might as well get to talk to me on the clock the whole time.

So $500 here and there to get a ticket dropped was a cost of doing business, I'm pretty sure it got written off taxes.

e: he'd go from upstate NY to Pensacola nonstop except gas, make his wife and daughter pee in gatorade bottles, and drove off with the fuel nozzle still inserted, from the same station, twice.

All this was sober thankfully

someusername has issued a correction as of 18:36 on Apr 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
https://twitter.com/benbolliger/status/1508954714540425217?s=20&t=2BCcqdQFaynCDeW4bJzk6A