Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

The wording on this is interesting:

Compared to Squadron Hawk it's Alchemy-proofed, suggesting that they may be looking to use this card as a power level lever by conjuring Gathering Throngs somehow.

I like that they tried to make Naya go wide without producing multiple creature tokens, but I don't think it generally worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Compared to Squadron Hawk it's Alchemy-proofed, suggesting that they may be looking to use this card as a power level lever by conjuring Gathering Throngs somehow.

It's also relevant for limited where you could have 10 of them

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Devor posted:

It's also relevant for limited where you could have 10 of them

Ah that's true.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Pointing out that Luxior can't be attached to planeswalkers under the current rules is about as useful as pointing out it doesn't state if it's a poly, mono, or continuous artifact. Every set with new abilities will alter the rules of the game somewhat.

That's true. It's also relevant. At the very worst, it's an inoffensive and ignorable thing someone might comment on. There's a handful of people in this thread who seem to think relevant, inoffensive posting about the ephemera or miniutia of magic: the gathering is worthy of directed scorn. They're incorrect.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Leperflesh posted:

That's true. It's also relevant. At the very worst, it's an inoffensive and ignorable thing someone might comment on. There's a handful of people in this thread who seem to think relevant, inoffensive posting about the ephemera or miniutia of magic: the gathering is worthy of directed scorn. They're incorrect.

How many times can I point out the same non-thing before it stops being content and starts being threadshitting? Because he didn't catch so much poo poo before he kept going back to the well. I understand you don't regularly follow the thread, but the context matters.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Jesus I'm sorry I brought it up again, but my point wasn't "ehuhuhu this card doesn't work i am a rules lawyer spock."

It's that they're willing to do something concise and intuitive even if it means a rule change rather than the completely unparsable to a casual player mtg programming language code on Lagrella, so it was weird that couldn't word her in a less confusing way.

Hell the O-ring effect is such a regular go-to for removal in white you could probably keyword it and make more room for explaining the particulars of each o-ring more elegantly.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 15, 2022

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In a thread that gets a hundred posts a day, I don't see one or two posts per release observing that a card's rules text will require some kind of alteration to the game's rules is ever going to amount to threadshitting.

If he or anyone else spams the thread with identical content, feel free to report it, though. There's definitely a threshold. I don't want to set some kind of specific number, but mods will call balls and strikes as we see them.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Thinking of brewing Mardu Rally with the new power doubling guy for Pioneer. He only needs 5 triggers to be super lethal!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

It's a shame they re-templated the o-ring effect, because we'll never get another card that can just completely stall the game if there's 3 of them on the board.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I like that they tried to make Naya go wide without producing multiple creature tokens, but I don't think it generally worked.

It's been done before

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I feel like I would prefer 3/1's over 2/2's though.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I recall those played way better in limited than they read. Sure thet were vanilla and behind rate body but tutoring a few guys guys in a relevant tribe off one cast was good enough

But I don't know if these dudes will be as good because IXN was way more linear and tribal than this set looks to be, but 3/1 potentially trades and keeps attackers at bay better than 2/2

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Elvis_Maximus posted:

It's a shame they re-templated the o-ring effect, because we'll never get another card that can just completely stall the game if there's 3 of them on the board.

I'm pretty sure this still happens.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
it may be worse in this limited since, for some reason, creatures in this set have big butts

I think I saw one "big butts matter" card, so it isn't a theme and might be a number crunching artefact

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Will the change mean planeswalkers can only be equiped with a equip-planeswalker cost or can you put any equipment on pw's now? The latter seems like it would add a lot of potential complications

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Both of those seem very good? Sticky Fingers especially with the additional card draw payoff.

The tap clause on the dog hinders it a bit, but the fact that it is an artifact has some upside for decks that care about Delirium or that sort of thing.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 15, 2022

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

boblemoche posted:

Now, THAT's a bear.

:swoon: :love: :swoon:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Sickening posted:

I feel like I would prefer 3/1's over 2/2's though.

There's a bunch of 1/1 tokens running around (fish, citizens) in this set, so if we're talking limited, I disagree.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I recall those played way better in limited than they read. Sure thet were vanilla and behind rate body but tutoring a few guys guys in a relevant tribe off one cast was good enough

But I don't know if these dudes will be as good because IXN was way more linear and tribal than this set looks to be, but 3/1 potentially trades and keeps attackers at bay better than 2/2

It's basically "draw a card" but the card is another copy of that same creature. My main mans DA SQUAD from IKO were fantastic in that set since they were cheap, great as sac fodder to Bushmeat Poacher, there was a human tribal subtheme, and you could get them super late.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

Both of those seem very good? Sticky Fingers especially with the additional card draw payoff.

The tap clause on the dog hinders it a bit, but the fact that it is an artifact has some upside for decks that care about Delirium or that sort of thing.

The dog might make an eater of virtue deck kinda work. Two nice keywords to grab and it can maybe sometimes sac itself in response to exile removal.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
Question about shield counters : if my opponent has an attacking 3/1 with a shield counter, and I block with two vanilla 1/1s. Does that kill the attacking creature?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Goa Tse-tung posted:

it may be worse in this limited since, for some reason, creatures in this set have big butts

I think I saw one "big butts matter" card, so it isn't a theme and might be a number crunching artefact

I think that it will be better in limited this go around conversely, because it fits really well with 2/3 of the white shard mechanics:

Obscura wants nonlands to loot away when conniving.

Alliance wants lots of creatures entering the battlefield

Casualty wants extra one and two power creatures to sacrifice (though isn't in white)

We'll see.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TacoNight posted:

Question about shield counters : if my opponent has an attacking 3/1 with a shield counter, and I block with two vanilla 1/1s. Does that kill the attacking creature?

It only counts as one instance of damage, so no

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

TacoNight posted:

Not unless one of them has first strike.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

I'm pretty sure this still happens.

oh no it definitely does for O-ring

I just mean they'll (probably) never print another mistake card where that could happen. I just want to live the dream in a paper draft somehow

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like this guy will be a powerhouse build around:

Blitz, Casualty, and especially especially all these turbo mode treasure tokens.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I just mean they'll (probably) never print another mistake card where that could happen. I just want to live the dream in a paper draft somehow

Borrowed Time does the same thing but you'll need your opponent's help.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Blitz, Casualty, and especially especially all these turbo mode treasure tokens.

rakdos artifacts/sac deck addition mayb?

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
I get it that in a world without blocks they're using mechanics to tie sets together over a rotation, but DFC's sure as hell overstayed their welcome and now it feels like Treasures are doing the same

It's a fine mechanic when used in moderation, but after AFR they've leaned so hard on Treasures that now every other card creates Treasures and is basically ramp, which is just dumb but I guess that's going to be an issue with any mechanic that stretches through a year or more worth of sets

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I don't think that is likely. Its 3 mana and the activation requires untapping and a mana investment. Maybe if it was 2 cmc and the activation was free it might have seen a small amount of play and even that is doubtful.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Oh I should have said limited. Who knows about constructed what you said is probably right idk.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Doesn't the 3-ring infinite loop still happen with modern templating? That loop didn't rely on the instant-speed gotcha stuff, it's just the side-effect of a mandatory trigger with only one target.

For content, here's LSV's video

For value

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGXG5rNe_tI

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Devor posted:

Doesn't the 3-ring infinite loop still happen with modern templating? That loop didn't rely on the instant-speed gotcha stuff, it's just the side-effect of a mandatory trigger with only one target.

For content, here's LSV's video

For value

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGXG5rNe_tI

Video is still great!

I thought it didn't for some reason related to the way they template the cards, but I'm absolutely not that up on the way new versions of O ring effects work so that might just be completely wrong

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Wait, don't most of the newer ones also say "you control" which means you need 4, and two of them to be controlled by your opponent?
And use 'may' so you can just choose to stop?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

I get it that in a world without blocks they're using mechanics to tie sets together over a rotation, but DFC's sure as hell overstayed their welcome and now it feels like Treasures are doing the same

It's a fine mechanic when used in moderation, but after AFR they've leaned so hard on Treasures that now every other card creates Treasures and is basically ramp, which is just dumb but I guess that's going to be an issue with any mechanic that stretches through a year or more worth of sets

I feel like there were barely any in the Innistrad sets and not that many in Kamigawa either. I think they said Treasures are basically like Cycling or Kicker where they’re not going to be in every set, but any set that needs it can use it, and a 3 colour set with a crime theme seems like a great spot to use treasures.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

fadam posted:

I feel like there were barely any in the Innistrad sets and not that many in Kamigawa either. I think they said Treasures are basically like Cycling or Kicker where they’re not going to be in every set, but any set that needs it can use it, and a 3 colour set with a crime theme seems like a great spot to use treasures.

Yeah I'm fine with Treasure as a perennial mechanic that smooths out mana fixing in a pinch and sometimes has some other narrow utility depending on how much any given set cares about artifacts, tokens, etc.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Are commander decklists spoiled yet? I guess I need the one with smugglers share.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Owlbear Camus posted:

Are commander decklists spoiled yet? I guess I need the one with smugglers share.

They've been leaked but I think its supposed to be offical tomorrow.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Old Capenna is actually Serra's Realm, calling it

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I don’t mind treasures being evergreen, so long as they’re pretty careful with them, obviously.

I also have no fatigue around MDFC, in fact, I think it’d be cool if Pathways were more or less permanent in standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Tbh clues, food, and treasures should all be used as needed imo, i think they all have mechanical reasons to exist