Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

Is it better to leave winter tires on too long, or put summer tires on too early? It's the dumb season for weather here, yesterday was 91 this morning it's 33.

Winter tires in warm weather get very soft and wear quickly.

Summer tires in cold weather get very hard and lose all grip.

The former is the preferred problem in my estimation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Iowa-ish?

We’re done this time for sure. I swear. Third false spring has passed.

Just across the border in Lincoln, and this is the first time swapping to summer tires and not all seasons so I'm getting some crazy whiplash.

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah this is the right call. I've got new wheels that haven't been on the GTI yet and I'm anxious to see them, but I can wait another few weeks.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If you can scrape some of it off with your thumbnail it sounds like an excuse to get a pressure washer, see what that does to it. I've never tried it on a truck bed but I have made the shocking discovery that an engine wasn't originally the color of burnt oil and carbon.

Ooooh, that might work. I already have a pressure washer and need to wash the truck this weekend anyways.

Here's the pic of the hosed up bed. It's a 2004 Dodge Dakota and the liner is 10+ years old I would guess.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Have you tried touching it with something solvent-y like brake cleaner or gasoline on a rag? Some bedliner materials, especially the DIY kinds, have very little resistance to solvents.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Enos Cabell posted:

Is it better to leave winter tires on too long, or put summer tires on too early? It's the dumb season for weather here, yesterday was 91 this morning it's 33.
Thirding to leave the winter tires on. I drove on my winter tires all summer once when I didn't have the money for a new set of summers. It's not like it ruins them, they just wear faster. Maybe don't go to the track or go canyon carving, especially on hot days, but normal driving is fine.

Summer tires on the other hand will harden up at low temperatures which significantly reduces traction and in extreme cases can even result in damage to the tire from simply driving. Their tread pattern is generally also pretty much useless on snow or ice with large tread blocks and little to no siping.

I feel your pain, here in NE Ohio it's currently mid-60s with a high for the day in the low 70s but it's been barely over a week since the last freeze and we might get one more this upcoming weekend so the steelies are going to stay on for another week.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
How bad is driving on rough roads for the wear + tear on a car and its wheels?

I put a lot of miles on my Fiesta ST in Massachusetts, and the roads here are just a complete mess.

Every day I probably hit 2-3 potholes/crags/manhole covers hard enough to seriously rattle the car.

I’m on the super thin stock rims. I haven’t had a blowout or puncture yet, but it’s only a matter of time. At some point when money allows I’d love to downsize to 16” or maybe even 15”, just to get back some sidewall.

In the meantime I’m worried about the stock wheels. Aside from curbing, can you seriously bend or crack a rim without also bursting/puncturing the tire?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Do you have steelies with hubcaps or are they cast aluminum? Are you hitting the bump stops on the frame ("bottoming out") when you hit the pot holes? If you're not hitting the bump stops most of the energy should be absorbed by your tires,shocks and springs. I'd need looking at your bushings as they're probably taking a beating

Dunno about Ford but Toyotas typically have two bolts where one is needed and takes a lot longer to develop a rattle as a result. I doubt a budget model like a fiesta has that kind of durability at that price point

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Do you have steelies with hubcaps or are they cast aluminum? Are you hitting the bump stops on the frame ("bottoming out") when you hit the pot holes? If you're not hitting the bump stops most of the energy should be absorbed by your tires,shocks and springs. I'd need looking at your bushings as they're probably taking a beating

Dunno about Ford but Toyotas typically have two bolts where one is needed and takes a lot longer to develop a rattle as a result

They’re cast- 17” but since the car is so small they’re functionally like the equivalent of 18s or maybe even 19s.

I’m probably bottoming out. It’s honestly kind of hard to tell. I’m on the stock FiST suspension which is notoriously stiff, and there’s not a ton of travel there

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I have a Fiesta ST and can confirm that it rides so much smoother on the 15" winter wheels with sidewall than the factory 17" wheels with rubber bands. That first drive after putting the summer tires back on every year it's like The Princess and the Pea, I can feel EVERYTHING.

If you bottom out you'll know it, these things are surprisingly good at not doing that for how little travel they have.

Yes you can bend a wheel without destroying the tire, I've potholed three of my winter wheels, though only one badly enough to lose air (which was a hit hard enough it actually dented the wheel bearing). Easy enough for a tire shop to bend back steel wheels though. Somehow never damaged one of the stock wheels beyond a bit of curb rash.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 13, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah you'll know when you hit the bump stops. Feels like God himself flicked the car

If you're really worried about it yeah switch to 15" steelies with taller tires

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Pretty sure I hit the bump stop this morning when I felt it rattle the driver side door and go into my shoulder.

Is 16” a solid compromise? Will I fail to notice enough difference? I’d go for 15 but the rims I want aren’t in stock in the color I want in that size, but they do come in 16.

Might do 16” summer and 15” winter. I really like the look of the stock rims but they ride rough.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
16" is pretty popular in the FiST community as a compromise size for summer to get some more sidewall and open up a lot more tire options without sacrificing handling in any meaningful way. I've seen some people even do 15" wheels year round and say it still drives great but it's uncommon, most people running 15s are doing it just for winter.

If I ever decide to get a new set of summer wheels I will definitely be going to 16".

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

wolrah posted:

16" is pretty popular in the FiST community as a compromise size for summer to get some more sidewall and open up a lot more tire options without sacrificing handling in any meaningful way. I've seen some people even do 15" wheels year round and say it still drives great but it's uncommon, most people running 15s are doing it just for winter.

If I ever decide to get a new set of summer wheels I will definitely be going to 16".

rad

I’d love to do 16” Sparco Terras in white for the summer, but 15” in black or gunmetal for winter

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

wolrah posted:

16" is pretty popular in the FiST community

not for beginners

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’d love to do 16” Sparco Terras in white for the summer, but 15” in black or gunmetal for winter
:hfive: I totally agree, the Sparco Terras look great on these things. If I go 16" they're likely going to be my choice. Gunmetal for me though, the idea of white wheels on a car that produces this much brake dust is lol.

That's the stuff right there.

spankmeister posted:

not for beginners
Just make sure to use enough (tire) lube :goatsecx:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wait apparently I have not been keeping up on my hot hatches, is the fiesta a rename of the focus, or is it actually distinct? Did they release a domestic version of the international fiesta?

spankmeister posted:

not for beginners

:laugh:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hadlock posted:

:
Wait apparently I have not been keeping up on my hot hatches, is the fiesta a rename of the focus, or is it actually distinct? Did they release a domestic version of the international fiesta?

:laugh:

oh buddy- :(

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

As reminded by the previous post I replied to: if you're driving around on rough roads all the time, your car can go out of alignment pretty quickly too. I've had a mechanic recommend annual alignments in the worst cases.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Thanks guys, I will get that alignment!

As far as replacing the tyre goes, I'm guessing it's past the point where it could be rotated.

How feasible is it to replace it with a similar used one? While I'm not up to the drama of working on my brakes, last I checked (admittedly a few years ago) there's a wrecker near me that has a big ol' mountain of tyres in the corner of their warehouse you can rummage through for $20 each. If I found one of the same size and similar tread would that work, or just likely cause problems? I'm probably only going to have the car for another 8-12 months tops.

Wanna be clear that I've got the money for a new tyre, this is more to give myself something to do over the upcoming holidays and feel 0.5% better about environmental waste.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Thanks guys, I will get that alignment!

As far as replacing the tyre goes, I'm guessing it's past the point where it could be rotated.

How feasible is it to replace it with a similar used one? While I'm not up to the drama of working on my brakes, last I checked (admittedly a few years ago) there's a wrecker near me that has a big ol' mountain of tyres in the corner of their warehouse you can rummage through for $20 each. If I found one of the same size and similar tread would that work, or just likely cause problems? I'm probably only going to have the car for another 8-12 months tops.

Wanna be clear that I've got the money for a new tyre, this is more to give myself something to do over the upcoming holidays and feel 0.5% better about environmental waste.

If you have a FWD car I'd just rotate that tire/wheel to the rear and not worry about it too much unless you're doing track driving. It's got plenty of tread and with a proper alignment it's not going to be using that outside edge anyways.

Otherwise if you're replacing tires there's stuff to think about like you don't want two different diameter of tire on the same axle if there's a differential between them.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

PBCrunch posted:

Have you tried touching it with something solvent-y like brake cleaner or gasoline on a rag? Some bedliner materials, especially the DIY kinds, have very little resistance to solvents.

Nothing yet, I just sold my old car and made this my daily driver on Sunday and this is one of the first projects I want to tackle this weekend.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

After living in Texas and California, it was a real wake up call moving to the east coast and finding out people pour good money down the drain buying domestic cars out this way. In Texas you sort of felt bad for the guys buying F150s who were obviously doing it to keep up with their friends and coworkers. I can't remember the last time I saw a domestic 4 door sedan in California.

Trying to think back to the last time I rode in a Ford that wasn't an airport shuttle, must be when I drove my buddy's 2004 Ford focus to a dealership in 2007 to be sold

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Ok Comboomer posted:

rad

I’m a big fan of 15” for sticky tires.

205 50 15 is inexpensive and has a huge selection of 200tw/300tw

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

Leaving winter tires on is definitely the way to go, because these effects are not equal-but-opposite. Winter tires won't outperform a summer tire when it's warm and dry, but they won't be unsafe at all and the level of extra wear really isn't going to be noticeable. Case in point, Road and Track flogged them on a track and found no issues other than just not being as fast.

Summer tires in truly cold temperatures? There's some out there now that are so sensitive to cold that you can't even move the car on a sub-40-degree day without damaging them. The lack of grip from summer tires in freezing temperatures, even on otherwise perfectly clean and dry asphalt, is frightening.

Run the winters long if you're ever unsure.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Hadlock posted:

After living in Texas and California, it was a real wake up call moving to the east coast and finding out people pour good money down the drain buying domestic cars out this way. In Texas you sort of felt bad for the guys buying F150s who were obviously doing it to keep up with their friends and coworkers. I can't remember the last time I saw a domestic 4 door sedan in California.

Trying to think back to the last time I rode in a Ford that wasn't an airport shuttle, must be when I drove my buddy's 2004 Ford focus to a dealership in 2007 to be sold

my dude, teslas are all the gently caress over the place

also chevy volts and bolts

also the occasional ford fusions and chevy cruzes and malibus. the usual boring poo poo

idk what to tell you

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Enos Cabell posted:

I still have mine on, probably doing them over this weekend as it will be the best time for a few weeks. Had some nice weather (nearly 70 degrees yesterday!), today it's in the 30's and raining, so I'm glad I still have them.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

also the occasional ford fusions and chevy cruzes and malibus. the usual boring poo poo

idk what to tell you

lol seriously.
goon probably last came here in the 90s before evs became a thing

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Raluek posted:

Oh I meant like, Honda, Toyota, Acura, Lexus, to a lesser extent Nissan etc regular imports, and in the nicest neighborhoods BMW Mercedes etc

I haven't taken a formal survey of my street but I'd say 8/10 cars I can see from my front porch are domestic cars, also mostly what I've seen on i-95

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Hadlock posted:

Oh I meant like, Honda, Toyota, Acura, Lexus, to a lesser extent Nissan etc regular imports, and in the nicest neighborhoods BMW Mercedes etc

I haven't taken a formal survey of my street but I'd say 8/10 cars I can see from my front porch are domestic cars, also mostly what I've seen on i-95

what i am responding to is "I can't remember the last time I saw a domestic 4 door sedan in California." and all the cars i mentioned are regular 4-door sedans

looking at my street, i just recently sold my impala so i dont have a sedan anymore, but all my vehicles are american. my neighbor has a chevy truck. my other neighbor has an oldsmobile sedan. the others on my street are mostly SUVs, but again mostly ford and chevy. the house across the street has mostly japanese cars, but they're also mostly priuses so if we're saying hybrids/electrics aren't "regular" (they are), then im not sure if we can count those either

the work parking lot is mostly teslas, audis, and challengers (why are challengers so over-represented? there's only like one mustang and one camaro, but tons of those). most of the sedans are teslas (american)

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
2000 honda accord, driver's door won't open. happened out of nowhere, no external damage or anything. just got out, went into a store, couldn't get back in. acts like it's stuck locked, wondering if anyone has a trick for getting the door open so i can pull the panel off to fix the latch that opens the door. tried a locksmith, they told me slim jims "weren't really a thing anymore" and didn't know anything beyond how to use an air shim.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Hadlock are you somehow confused about what the word "domestic" means?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Leperflesh posted:

*Sees a Tundra in Texas*

"NEW york CITY????"

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

a domestic car is one that is used primarily within the confines of domestic life (shopping, family chores, commuting to work, occasional road trips, etc) as opposed to a Working car, whose primary role is to serve the operations of some kind of business or service

duh

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ok Comboomer posted:

a domestic car is one that is used primarily within the confines of domestic life (shopping, family chores, commuting to work, occasional road trips, etc) as opposed to a Working car, whose primary role is to serve the operations of some kind of business or service

duh

No, it’s a car that has been domesticated, like livestock, something something CAN’T TAME A MUSTANG

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

No, it’s a car that has been domesticated, like livestock, something something CAN’T TAME A MUSTANG

a common misconception is that testicles on vehicles are a cosmetic gimmick added afterwards by the owner.

not so. In fact all vehicles are born with sex organs at the factory. the vast majority of cars have their gonads removed after weaning, either right before they are given a VIN or when they arrive at port.

this practice is so widespread and established that most Americans don’t even know that cars have sexes.

you can help end this barbaric practice by heading to petacarfacts.com and learning how to reach out to your congressperson today

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

If I remember correctly the biological definition of domestication is that human involvement has altered the genetic makeup of the species. So every car is domestic I think.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah I guess it meant "designed and built by the 'big three'" are we going to go down the rabbit hole of "this car is built in America with union labor, but the profits go back to Japan" or what

Pretty sure the biggest car exporter in the US is now BMW but regardless of what metric you use a company named "Bavarian motor works" and hq'd in Germany for the last 100 years is still a German car to me but yes let's hash over the minutae

Extra points if you can form your response(s) without using the words "stellantis", "multinational", or "conglomerate"

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I guess it meant "designed and built by the 'big three'" are we going to go down the rabbit hole of "this car is built in America with union labor, but the profits go back to Japan" or what

Pretty sure the biggest car exporter in the US is now BMW but regardless of what metric you use a company named "Bavarian motor works" and hq'd in Germany for the last 100 years is still a German car to me but yes let's hash over the minutae

Extra points if you can form your response(s) without using the words "stellantis", "multinational", or "conglomerate"

ok but i still fail to see why tesla isn't domestic. why's it have to be the big three? is my Javelin not domestic, because American Motors hadn't been consumed by Chrysler yet when it was made?

anyway, i took a look at my street on my way in today, and of the four-door sedans here, there was a ford, an oldsmobile, then a honda, lexus, and toyota. from where i parked in my work parking lot today, the sedans i could see were four teslas, a hyundai, bmw, and a toyota.

they might not be a majority of sedans around here, but certainly there is some american representation

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Raluek posted:

ok but i still fail to see why tesla isn't domestic.

I guess they are? I haven't mentioned them once in this thread so i'm not sure what point i'm defending here. They exist in california but I dunno if I'd call them prolific, except in Palo Alto, and I guess SF and Berkely. I guess they're building more than half a million cars a year now? I guess their total global production puts them squarely in line with BMW american sales, based on some cursory searches for US sales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

How do I spray paint metal? Talking flat black out of a can, not fancy automotive paint.

Once my bumper is done, I will need to paint it. I didn't do the existing paint, but I believe it's primer, then flat black, both out of rattle cans. It's held up fine. The primary goal is to prevent surface rust (SF Bay Area car, so major structural rust won't happen even if left unpainted).

When I repaint it, do I need to strip all the old paint off first, or will the etching primer stick to the old flat black paint? Anything else I should know before I start?