Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

sneakyfrog posted:

if i could get the yaris i would but freedomland doesnt sell that one.

Ah yes forgot these aren't in :911: Did they ever say why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

queef anxiety posted:

no. but more than likely not crossovery enough

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

queef anxiety posted:

We don't get the regular Yaris because Americas don't buy small cars, so it's way too expensive to federalize the GR Yaris on its own.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtu.be/f9i7Kmpa8LY

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Roundup Ready posted:

Awesome, the epc light just came on in my gti and I start my work week at 5 tomorrow.

Update, looks like two of my coils were pretty much shot, causing misfires. Getting all four replaced. Also have carbon buildup, but that was going to be something like 1300 bucks for the deep clean, so putting that off for a while. All said, about 500bux for the deep dive inspection and four new coils. Could have been a lot worse.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Roundup Ready posted:

Update, looks like two of my coils were pretty much shot, causing misfires. Getting all four replaced. Also have carbon buildup, but that was going to be something like 1300 bucks for the deep clean, so putting that off for a while. All said, about 500bux for the deep dive inspection and four new coils. Could have been a lot worse.

I’m glad it worked out alright. I’d definitely see how things go with the coils and call around about the carbon cleaning before paying up.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I have a regular Corolla hatchback and I really like it. Hopefully the prices aren’t too bad so I can trade up.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

LMAO you have to upgrade to a more expensive package on the new integra to get a manual transmission.

e: wait, you have to get two upgrade packages to get a manual. God drat Honda is loving this up.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 6, 2022

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Dr. Lunchables posted:

LMAO you have to upgrade to a more expensive package on the new integra to get a manual transmission.

e: wait, you have to get two upgrade packages to get a manual. God drat Honda is loving this up.

Yeah but have you seen that new GR Corolla :swoon:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

it’s only one package, AFAIK. After that the manual option is no-cost vs the auto.

But yeah, lol.

According to a couple of the YouTube channels that went to the recent press event, including Demuro and Kriefels, Honda isn’t really placing the Integra against the hot hatches and sports cars in the ~$30-40k range, but rather entry-level luxury sedans and liftbacks on one end and small luxury crossovers on the other.

According to the Honda marketing flacks it’s less about competing with stuff like BRZ/Corolla/Civic/GTI/etc and more about competing with the base model 2 Series and A3 and Infiniti G37 and whatnot and/or stuff like Q3/Q5, Taos, etc.

In order to get the same creature comforts and tech features you generally have to option these cars into the high $30s or low-to-mid $40’s. Some of the SUVs into the 50s.

Honda hopes that the combination of tech+leather+historic name+the option of a manual, along with the practicality of a liftback and Honda’s reputation for reliability+fuel economy, might entice people to spend $5-15k less on an A-Spec Integra with Tech Package.

I don’t know how much of that strategy is real vs marketing spin on a car that everybody knows had a lukewarm launch, but it seems somewhat kinda sorta sound. If you squint.

Like if you want a GTI but hate the Mk 8 enough to get a less sporty car, or you are hardcore and uncompromising about reliability. Or maybe you’ve convinced your spouse to go for a manual but they want something way cushier and less firebreathey than a Corolla GR. Or like you want a GR86 and they want a Taos and this is the compromise.

I just don’t know how much of a market exists that is ‘yes’ on a sporty manual but also ‘no’ on the other options that currently exist or will exist. Like if your spouse is on board with a manual IDK why you wouldn’t just go for something like a GR Corolla or WRX or GTI or whatever.

Or if you’re gonna start spending close to Type R money on a sporty manual Honda hatch, why not just get a Type R? Or spend a bunch more but get AWD along with the nice upholstery with a Golf R?

I don’t think that there are that many junior management #JalopnikDads out there. And this is a total throwback dad car.

But also I think there’s something nice about this car (it’s the old school dadness). It’s nice that there’s a decently sporty, decently practical car with a manual and a luxe enough interior that isn’t just GTI. It makes me want to go hug my E36 325is.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 7, 2022

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It really seems like there’s about two or three other cars currently eating the Integra’s lunch. They’re also currently available (with the supply chain caveat) right now. And at $35k without offering much in the way of luxury, why pick this FWD civic Si hatch over like… anything else? GTI does what this car does but better and cheaper with a similar level of interior luxury. Golf R does everything better while only costing marginally more.

Honda just feels woefully unprepared for the 2022 market. They might want to compete against Audis and BMWs and Benzes, but I don’t think anyone outside of their sales team believes that.

e: grammar

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 7, 2022

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Corolla GR is what I wanted the Integra to be.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Midjack posted:

The Corolla GR is what I wanted the Integra to be.

And it isn't relying on a 4 foot vinyl decal, it's instead a new vehicle, new name, just done in a throwback nostalgia style and selling itself so much more effectively.

It's really neat to see Toyota do what everyone else claims isn't worth doing.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

KakerMix posted:

And it isn't relying on a 4 foot vinyl decal, it's instead a new vehicle, new name, just done in a throwback nostalgia style and selling itself so much more effectively.

It's really neat to see Toyota do what everyone else claims isn't worth doing.

Nothing about the GR says "nostalgia" to me. It's very much a modern hot hatch that's selling itself on its performance credentials.

EDIT: Honda is the one relying on nostalgia by using the Integra name!

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 7, 2022

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Nothing about the GR says "nostalgia" to me. It's very much a modern hot hatch that's selling itself on its performance credentials.

EDIT: Honda is the one relying on nostalgia by using the Integra name!

That's exactly what I am saying though? Toyota has made a brand-new vehicle in the style of stuff they used to make without relying on a nameplate (or paint color) that Honda is for the new Integra. The guiltiest Toyota is on flexing nostalgia is the GR-FOUR/GT-FOUR callback in the moulding:

Otherwise yeah, Toyota is doing it the 'hard, impossible, companies would never' way by making a bespoke turbo hot hatch only available in manual transmission. It isn't lifted, it doesn't have black plastic cladding, it doesn't have a CVT, can't be had in a sedan. This is cool and good, I agree.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KakerMix posted:

That's exactly what I am saying though? Toyota has made a brand-new vehicle in the style of stuff they used to make without relying on a nameplate (or paint color) that Honda is for the new Integra. The guiltiest Toyota is on flexing nostalgia is the GR-FOUR/GT-FOUR callback in the moulding:

Otherwise yeah, Toyota is doing it the 'hard, impossible, companies would never' way by making a bespoke turbo hot hatch only available in manual transmission. It isn't lifted, it doesn't have black plastic cladding, it doesn't have a CVT, can't be had in a sedan. This is cool and good, I agree.

Is Honda actually leaning on a paint color (or decal, as a previous post mentioned) though? Like they’re not even doing that right.

Last I checked the Integra is only coming in blue, red, and silver (and maybe white?).

Definitely leaning on several old design elements, like the cutout-style handle on the rear hatch and the molded-in ‘INTEGRA’ on the bumper

Apparently the Honda Integra sedan that’s coming to Asia (visually split the difference between the Si and the Acura Integra hatch) is getting all the fun colors—way better colors than the Si got here, in fact.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Also worth keeping in mind that they may be reviving the Integra name just for the sake of having it back in the mix when they switch to all hybrid/electrics next gen. It may not make a ton of sense in the current lineup but internally that may not be the real point -- maybe the civic line is going to lose the Sport/Sport touring trims when they go to hybrid?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I think it’s pretty likely that we’ll see at least an Integra Type S—one that shares the drivetrain with the Civic Type R

In my wishful thinking world I’d love to also see an Integra Type R halo car, maybe one that’s powered by a V6hybridized version of the Civic Type R power plant to compete with stuff like the 3.0 Supra and Z.

Joking aside it would be cool to see Honda/Acura really distinguish themselves a bit in the space, and leaning on the company’s experience making hybrids like the CRZ or NSX (or the manual Insight and manual hybrid Civic, lol) might be a unique and accessible way for them to do it. Also I think that even if Honda wanted to stick a 6cyl in there, and it wasn’t entirely antithetical to their current MO, they’d have to either make a totally bespoke engine or reengineer the car’s front end to make a V6 fit.

The Gen 10 Type R distinguished itself by making stupid power through the front wheels. I can’t imagine them doing a Toyota and putting real AWD in a car like that when the rest of the lineup is solidly FWD but maybe adding electric power to the existing setup—or to the back end (although lmao at the idea of a sporty 400hp car aimed at enthusiasts sending 75% power to the front and 25 to the rear)—is more their thing?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It seems like this is a lackluster model to allow an R or S type to be built off of it. I don’t think too many people will buy into the “Acura family” because of it when you could get a frustratingly stripped down Civic si with the same drivetrain for a whole lot less. Sure, you lose power seats, but those aren’t worth $10k.

Seems like they purposefully de-featured the civic to justify the price gap here, but I don’t know how many people will bite. It just seems like they took a bunch of stuff off of a good car to make a mediocre one seem better.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 7, 2022

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Seems like they purposefully de-featured the civic to justify the price gap here, but I don’t know how many people will bite. It just seems like they took a bunch of stuff off of a good car to make a mediocre one seem better.

I'm not sure which youtube car reviewer said it, probably Demuro or Farah, but he was guessing that it seems to be super targeted at the people who are already going to be buying Civic Si's but can easily be persuaded into spending a bit more for an "upgrade". Sounds about right to me.

You're already at the Honda/Acura dealership talking to some salesman about leasing a Si for $300 a month or whatever. Hey before we sign the deal let's check out this brand new cool Integra over here which has everything you absolutely loved so much in the Civic Si but you get these fancy power seats, updated design choices, cool throwback name, these nicer interior touches, wireless charging pad, etc all for just $50 extra a month!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

100% Dundee posted:

I'm not sure which youtube car reviewer said it, probably Demuro or Farah, but he was guessing that it seems to be super targeted at the people who are already going to be buying Civic Si's but can easily be persuaded into spending a bit more for an "upgrade". Sounds about right to me.

You're already at the Honda/Acura dealership talking to some salesman about leasing a Si for $300 a month or whatever. Hey before we sign the deal let's check out this brand new cool Integra over here which has everything you absolutely loved so much in the Civic Si but you get these fancy power seats, updated design choices, cool throwback name, these nicer interior touches, wireless charging pad, etc all for just $50 extra a month!

It also goes the opposite way and makes the Si seem like an even better deal. The Si was already undercutting most (all?) of the competitors in that segment. Now you have this LUXURY SPORTS CAR with the same powertrain that costs $8-10k more. Somebody who wants to feel frugal and smart can forego the creature comforts and get “basically the same car! 90% of the experience!” for like 30% less.

And since the Integra looks like it’s going to be priced in line with GTI, etc, and therefore cross shopped against them, it also makes the Si seem like a better deal against those cars.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/toyota-to-build-exactly-6600-gr-corollas-for-2023.html

Goddammit, they're only going to make 6600 GR Corollas for 2023, 1500 of which will be the Circuit Edition. Prepare for absurd markups.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
How many Type Rs did Honda make for year 1?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I don't know model year breakdowns, but total production was about 50k with about 20k of those being sold in the US.

They aren't THAT rare.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
My dealer said within 48 hours of the announcement they had another 50 deposits.

Let's hope they keep making this thing for a nice long run.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Those are just Fiesta ST numbers. It’s about what the market will buy. Wait til the hype dies down next year after a new Type R comes out and you should be able to get one without crazy bullshit

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

sold my totally stock '06 mkv GTI today

its only done 67000 miles XD

couple years ago insurance was only covering it for 3000 AUD. in this ridiculous day and age it sold for 10000 AUD, instead of the 13000 it could get if the paint on the roof wasn't oxidised and the remote locks weren't all fucky. think its a great deal for the buyer given how unfucked the car is mechanically and how good that model is.

hope the guy thrashes the thing and sends it to carlhalla like it deserves

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Those are just Fiesta ST numbers. It’s about what the market will buy. Wait til the hype dies down next year after a new Type R comes out and you should be able to get one without crazy bullshit

That's assuming that Toyota decides to not make it a 1 MY wonder.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Neo_Crimson posted:

That's assuming that Toyota decides to not make it a 1 MY wonder.

Toyota is bringing a manual transmission to the Supra, I don’t think they’re going to spend over a year hyping the GR Corolla to sell it for a year.

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.
My 2005 WRX was stolen, totaled and abandoned at a seattle homeless encampment back in December 2022. Called 20+ washington dealers in early january attempting to line up a refundable deposit on the GR Corolla. No dice on the deposit but several dealers put me as "first" on "the list", I didn't put much stock in it.

Reaching back out to these same dealer contacts since the reveal, several said I'm :airquote:still first on their list :airquote: and I was told to expect a call when they start taking deposits.

I'm not gonna hold my breath, but I hope to get my hands on a GR Corolla this year.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Alzabo posted:

My 2005 WRX was stolen, totaled and abandoned at a seattle homeless encampment back in December 2022. Called 20+ washington dealers in early january attempting to line up a refundable deposit on the GR Corolla. No dice on the deposit but several dealers put me as "first" on "the list", I didn't put much stock in it.

Reaching back out to these same dealer contacts since the reveal, several said I'm :airquote:still first on their list :airquote: and I was told to expect a call when they start taking deposits.

I'm not gonna hold my breath, but I hope to get my hands on a GR Corolla this year.

Damned time traveling car thieves

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/a2fj19lXiqc

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Alzabo posted:

Best I got was Toyota of Seattle telling me I'm "on the list." Will see. Gotta sell my 2004 WRX soon. Hopefully it doesn't get stolen and end up in one of the homeless camps!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Still FWD, pack it in Hondailures

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

prom candy posted:

Still FWD, pack it in Hondailures

Better than being another AWD terminal understeer car

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

FiST? More like FitS

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Imperador do Brasil posted:

FiST? More like FitS

not enough anime graphic

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
How do people with recaro seats and that drive a manual, position their seat? In general, are there any ... guidelines? Personally, what I have been experiencing for the last few months is that my right leg's thigh tends to "rest" on the seat's wall (dunno how to call it) and the muscle starts to hurt after a while. I'm thinking that I must not be sitting right. Or maybe I'm just too fat for a recaro seat (180cm @ 110 kg, definitely on the obese side).
I'm experimenting right now with moving the seat a bit back and as low as possible. To fully press the clutch I now extend my left leg almost fully. Brakes and gas pedals are still easy to reach, but I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing here.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

FitS? More like Si!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Imperador do Brasil posted:

FitS? More like Si!

Digging that plate