Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Thanks Ants posted:

I want to talk to the person who knows the phrase "zero trust" and achieves it with an always-on tunnel

"Zero Trust" applies to the workers, not the hardware or applications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm reminded of the discussion about local admin on user endpoints a while ago. Surely nobody who argued against any level of local admin capability are arguing for unfiltered access to random internet sites when off the corporate network.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Surprisingly, there are other ways to do web filtering then sending all traffic back to your LAN.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
A port switch broke down so we need to order a new one. Since there's no stock anywhere in Europe (first availability date 26 June) and the port switch being means people at the line have to enter stuff manually on the printer, I recommended ordering 2 so we have a spare.

Reply from management: "Go ahead but since we're ordering two, please see about getting us a volume discount". :shepicide:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Don't do it, but say you asked anyway

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

Don't do it, but say you asked anyway

I was thinking about shooting them a mail asking how many we need to order to get a volume discount and then relaying that number to him. This is also the guy that exclaimed loudly "The guy that costs me money all the time" to the office upon seeing me, just because I'm responsible for IT purchasing. He's also one of the owners so there's not really much I can say or do.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

sixth and maimed posted:

A port switch broke down so we need to order a new one. Since there's no stock anywhere in Europe (first availability date 26 June) and the port switch being means people at the line have to enter stuff manually on the printer, I recommended ordering 2 so we have a spare.

Reply from management: "Go ahead but since we're ordering two, please see about getting us a volume discount". :shepicide:

In five years people will be dealing with 16 port netgears in every other closet

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

sixth and maimed posted:

I was thinking about shooting them a mail asking how many we need to order to get a volume discount and then relaying that number to him.

Ask how many you need to get a volume discount, then order that many. When the shipping container full of switches arrive, claim you got a great deal and saved the company $big_number.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Do y'all call m.2 drives "m dot 2" or just m2

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

Mmm bop 2

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Everyone around me calls them nvme drives.

Which is objectively wrong but that's how language works, stuff catches on anyways. But I guess ide and sata drives were normal language too so what do I know.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Don’t even known what that is, gently caress disks

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Boomers call SSD's 'static drives'

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Bob Morales posted:

Boomers call SSD's 'static drives'

One guy I worked for couldn't remember the acronym so he called them stainless steel drives.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Rexxed posted:

One guy I worked for couldn't remember the acronym so he called them stainless steel drives.

i'm ok with this

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

Rexxed posted:

Works pretty well to differentiate them from spinning rust.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

regulargonzalez posted:

"m2 form factor" for clarity

I keep getting burned by people who confuse it for nvme protocol

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Not pissing me off: Not having to use 2-factor to login or unlock my workstation. Required for a handful of things, just not everything

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

TYOOL 2022 and we still got people that echo in group meetings or don't know how to turn their camera on/off

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Bob Morales posted:

Not pissing me off: Not having to use 2-factor to login or unlock my workstation. Required for a handful of things, just not everything

As the Duo admin, I may or may not have put myself into bypass mode.

It's probably a good thing I'm not a cop or senator or anyone with real power and authority, I'm so amenable to being corrupt.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

As the Duo admin, I may or may not have put myself into bypass mode.

It's probably a good thing I'm not a cop or senator or anyone with real power and authority, I'm so amenable to being corrupt.

The credentials with admin access rights to your two factor are definitely the ones you don't need two factor enabled on, right?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

KillHour posted:

The credentials with admin access rights to your two factor are definitely the ones you don't need two factor enabled on, right?

Our domain admin accounts are separate from our VPN and rdp enabled accounts, and the duo admin account uses yet another login. Security through obscurity pain-in-the-assity.

E: and the duo console requires 2fa via text message.

The real disaster is how every user has local admin on their machine, because reasons. Hoping to fix that in the next few months.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 14, 2022

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

It's fun how duo doesn't matter because you can just PS remote and all sorts of other things to get rid of/around it.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 15, 2022

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Polio Vax Scene posted:

TYOOL 2022 and we still got people that echo in group meetings or don't know how to turn their camera on/off

When doing the handover to our India team (24hr coverage) I have to mute myself while talking because it always echoes back from them

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Bob Morales posted:

I finally get to work on Hello for Business on biometrics. We're going to go the virtual smart card route as it's basically compatible with anything and everything

I have wanted genuine, actual SSO for years

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
A teams message came through this morning from an idiot wanting to get help right away.

“Hey I got a new phone last night and now I can’t get into anything because of MFA.”

Me: The service desk has processes to assist you with that.

“Ok yeah but I can’t log in to submit a ticket because of the mfa”

Me: 800-555-5555

I’m not your personal help desk go away. This guy burned his bridges years ago when he was working with our team on the initial version of our informatics platform.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
We got audited this week and it seemed like the inspectors didn't have to try and find stuff that was wrong. Unauthorized USB drives laying around, computers left unlocked, computers that none of us in IT had any record of existing and were just kinda running the building's HVAC system. I feel like we might get some poo poo that gets dropped to us that we have no control over. And instead of backfilling our 6th spot that's been open for months they're gonna not hire anyone until the contract gets rebid on.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

devmd01 posted:

I’m not your personal help desk go away.

:hmmyes:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We have this wonderful software that we upgraded the license from 2021 to 2022. Contacted the vendor last week, they sent us a new license file the next day.

It's a text file that looks something like this:

code:
[license]
port 5000
company BIG_CORP
version 2022
secret_key 2j429s8d92323h232ot38923n5nlkxfsoefpwe
We noticed the new file they sent over was a different port than our current file (let's say 6000), so we changed that and copied it to the license folder, and removed the old file. Server starts up with no issues but then when you check out a license, it complains it can't connect to the server.

I put the old license back so it would keep working and then reached out to the person that sent me the license, telling her exactly what we changed because that's the port the old license file was set up for.

She emailed me back:

"Whats the issue here as this is still a vm lets comment that in the license. if it is something else please recut the license. support can you comment on the ports"

Not sure what that means. Then from support tech 1:

"Hi Bob. I believe you should just change the line from port 6000 to port 5000"

And that's exactly what I said I did and included the screenshot showing.

Support tech 2:

"Please note that you are allowed to customize the port numbers without corrupting the license. In this case you should fix the issue by setting the same port in the new license file"

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

There's a team of two brand new minted junior developers trying to push out a new application, and they have basically no leadership helping them get other teams to do things. Because I helped them out with one thing they seem to have imprinted on me and want me to make decisions for them their leadership or working agreement really should be making.

I'm an SRE, every single review I explicitly say I don't want to be management. I don't want to just abandon these poor guys but I really did not sign up to be Server Mommy.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sailor Video Games posted:

There's a team of two brand new minted junior developers trying to push out a new application, and they have basically no leadership helping them get other teams to do things. Because I helped them out with one thing they seem to have imprinted on me and want me to make decisions for them their leadership or working agreement really should be making.

I'm an SRE, every single review I explicitly say I don't want to be management. I don't want to just abandon these poor guys but I really did not sign up to be Server Mommy.

Congrats on your promotion to managing engineer.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

what if we all just quit our jobs at the same time

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

what if we all just quit our jobs at the same time

I have rent

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

You know, I've never really liked paying bills so I don't think I'm going to do that.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
I'm all for quitting but I'd preferably like another job lined up that pays better

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You all are no fun.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Pissing me off: getting submitted to a senior database engineer role after being told it's a mid-level cloud database engineer role, and then also finding out during the call that I would basically be given complete control over the database infrastructure. I have worked with databases as part of my job working on software, but I am in no way shape or form qualified to be on a team of senior database engineers, let alone the primary, that was a waste of an interview.

And that's not imposter syndrome, that's me thinking that a normal cloud DBA role is a stretch but I'll try it and then finding out that it's not just a stretch, it's full on goatse.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Pissing me off: getting submitted to a senior database engineer role after being told it's a mid-level cloud database engineer role, and then also finding out during the call that I would basically be given complete control over the database infrastructure. I have worked with databases as part of my job working on software, but I am in no way shape or form qualified to be on a team of senior database engineers, let alone the primary, that was a waste of an interview.

And that's not imposter syndrome, that's me thinking that a normal cloud DBA role is a stretch but I'll try it and then finding out that it's not just a stretch, it's full on goatse.

I would figure this is blend of a few mistakes as well as purposeful deceit. The person needed to fill that role is really, REALLY hard to find. I would also wager a lot of orgs fit into needing someone for this but also not having the scope to justify the cost and effort to recruit them. Everyone gets the bright idea "Hey, lets just get a cloud person to learn this for our small scope.".

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I mean that would be nice, it would be nice to get a job paying $130k with a bunch of discretion in how I do stuff, but I'm not holding my breath. It's weird that the interview didn't even really include database questions but it was very short (1/2 hour interview slots are dumb), but the manager interviewing me came from a DevOps background rather than a DBA background.

Actually I'm going to laugh my rear end off if I get this one because once I realized what was happening I basically stopped trying to impress them and just rolled with it. If I office space my way into a $50k raise then loving lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I mean that would be nice, it would be nice to get a job paying $130k with a bunch of discretion in how I do stuff, but I'm not holding my breath. It's weird that the interview didn't even really include database questions but it was very short (1/2 hour interview slots are dumb), but the manager interviewing me came from a DevOps background rather than a DBA background.

Actually I'm going to laugh my rear end off if I get this one because once I realized what was happening I basically stopped trying to impress them and just rolled with it. If I office space my way into a $50k raise then loving lol.

They are looking for fill the role because probably very few people in the org have any experience with databases and the few that do don't want it to be their baby.

Also hiring someone for that for 130k is a loving steal just FYI. I would expect it to be closer to 160.