Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I kind of assume it’ll be close to whatever the manual take rate is on the frisbee twins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
BRZ is like 80% manual, Toyota 86 is like 35%

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I maintain that you should need to present a note from a doctor to buy a BR-Z, 86, or Miata with an automatic.

I'm part of the Supra problem, in that while I'd never buy the automatic, I don't want the manual either. The car just says nothing to me.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Im dying thinking about the people that rushed out to get one and did all the leg work of doing a manual swap. And now this is finally coming out.
Poor souls.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Franco Caution posted:

Im dying thinking about the people that rushed out to get one and did all the leg work of doing a manual swap. And now this is finally coming out.
Poor souls.

I think think the 6 people who would buy a brand new, almost 60k, sports car then immediately manual swap it are well off enough to take the hit.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

gonna buy the manual supra to swap in a cvt

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Neo_Crimson posted:

I think think the 6 people who would buy a brand new, almost 60k, sports car then immediately manual swap it are well off dumb enough to take the hit.

:colbert:

The Supra is the biggest automotive yawn of the past ten years, imo.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

MrYenko posted:

They're releasing a GRMN one with the M3 engine but tuned even higher to 530HP. I think that's the one to get if you can get over how weird it looks.

https://carbuzz.com/news/toyota-grmn-supra-coming-with-530-hp-bmw-m-engine

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

MrYenko posted:

I would have agreed if they left it at what it was, but the power bump, getting a manual, and looking way better in person makes it a legit competitor to a C8.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Toyota, paint the loving A Pillar.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Neo_Crimson posted:

I would have agreed if they left it at what it was, but the power bump, getting a manual, and looking way better in person makes it a legit competitor to a C8.

When it first came out and everyone complained about it there was definitely some engineer thinking "But it's the base model if only we could tell you about all the cool stuff we have planned! :("

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

KillHour posted:

They're releasing a GRMN one with the M3 engine but tuned even higher to 530HP. I think that's the one to get if you can get over how weird it looks.

what a tacky model name lmao

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

article from carbuzz posted:

The "Gazoo Racing Meister of Nururgring" (GRMN) title

Tell me more about this "Nururgring".

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
Idk, I’m kinda thinking a base manual supra would be sweet. Normal struts/springs, all the weight savings is from loping off first two cylinders and pushing the weight balance between the axels, 3100lbs, 250hp/295ft lb

2022 msrp for base is ~44k

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

BraveUlysses posted:

what a tacky model name lmao

Supra GERMAN!!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Full Collapse posted:

Toyota, paint the loving A Pillar.

I actually kinda dig the black A-pillar, but I think the front end is so gently caress-ugly that I just can't bring myself to give a poo poo about the car.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I actually kinda dig the black A-pillar, but I think the front end is so gently caress-ugly that I just can't bring myself to give a poo poo about the car.

This is where I disagree. I feel like the black A Pillar on all colors throws off the visual balance of the car for all colors not black. If it was a wrap-around windshield, sure, but it's not.

Cars are emotional and the current Supra's A Pillar is a hill I will die on.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

no lube so what posted:

Idk, I’m kinda thinking a base manual supra would be sweet. Normal struts/springs, all the weight savings is from loping off first two cylinders and pushing the weight balance between the axels, 3100lbs, 250hp/295ft lb

2022 msrp for base is ~44k

New brz/86 is coming in at 215whp and 250 less pounds. Yeah it loses out on torque but can't have it all.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Carbuzz posted:

The Supra didn't really need more power, yet here we are.

Shut the gently caress up Carbuzz.

The supra to me was a huge blown opportunity at launch until today. I've never met a single person who was seriously considering one. I think I've seen maybe 2 in the wild, ever.
Hopefully this helps it out because i dont hate the looks of it.

Toyota must be reaching that part of the cycle where it's "oh poo poo we have sold as many of these as we are probably going to, time to walk back that no one wants a manual speech"

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

BraveUlysses posted:

New brz/86 is coming in at 215whp and 250 less pounds. Yeah it loses out on torque but can't have it all.

Yeah, and you can throw the dog in the back seat. I'm still drooling for one. I think the gr corolla is my plan but I'd love any of them.

Your car looks dope as hell. The other dude with the gr86 in Trueno Blue looks dope as hell.

Toyota is putting out cool cars.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Franco Caution posted:

Shut the gently caress up Carbuzz.

The supra to me was a huge blown opportunity at launch until today. I've never met a single person who was seriously considering one. I think I've seen maybe 2 in the wild, ever.
Hopefully this helps it out because i dont hate the looks of it.

Toyota must be reaching that part of the cycle where it's "oh poo poo we have sold as many of these as we are probably going to, time to walk back that no one wants a manual speech"

They were always going to release a manual and special editions and power bumps and little changes etc. For low volume cars like this you gotta save stuff to goose the numbers once they start slowing down.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

My favourite bit about this GR Supra is it has the TRD aero part on the door which replaces the one with the fake vent from launch. :v:

But of course all the rest of the vents are still there doing nothing and even if they were opened up the entire car would need to be hacked up and re-engineered before they did anything (and they would mostly do nothing useful).

Adding a pedal it should've had from the beginning is just showing you that they didn't have a clue what to do with this car from the start.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Adding a pedal it should've had from the beginning is just showing you that they didn't have a clue what to do with this car from the start.

Neither is exactly a massive seller but the Supra has outsold the GT86/BRZ twins in the US in both full years it’s been available so evidently people care less about light weight and manuals than you’d think.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Pretty sure it was because they knew exactly what they were doing. Release the automatic, be coy enough about the manual that people that really want that will still buy one, then release the manual later just in time for their leases to start to expire so now they have a great reason to get a new one.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

As everyone is saying they knew exactly what they were doing.

Additional WILD SPECULATION. Toyota didn't want the rubbery manual that BMW has so they said, hey the ZF works great, that's what we launch it with and we'll take a couple years to modify/design a manual that is really good and meets all the specifications for ~Toyota longevity~ (that the B58 benefitted greatly from). So what I'm trying to say is, this is the best possible situation.

I'd love to try the lighter base version with a manual.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Russian Bear posted:

As everyone is saying they knew exactly what they meets all the specifications for ~Toyota longevity~ (that the B58 benefitted greatly from).

Is there any actual evidence that Toyota had anything to do with developing the B58? It existed for a few years before the Supra was released.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Is there any actual evidence that Toyota had anything to do with developing the B58? It existed for a few years before the Supra was released.

I have no idea where the source is now, but I know during its development there was a video with some of the BMW team saying they were impressed by how stringent Toyota's "stress testing" requirements were on even the most mundane poo poo IIRC

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sab669 posted:

I have no idea where the source is now, but I know during its development there was a video with some of the BMW team saying they were impressed by how stringent Toyota's "stress testing" requirements were on even the most mundane poo poo IIRC

I can't think of a recent Toyota that has had oil consumption or dilution problems, while pretty much every manufacturer has at least one engine family that has become known for that. Most BMW engines will drink a quart every 3k-ish miles, and many consume much faster than that. The Ford Coyote engine family consumes oil, and there's been several rounds of TSBs to attempt to repair it. Kia/Hyundai have a giant class action lawsuit going on right now about oil consumption, and the new Hondas have all sorts of chatter about oil dilution, which apparently isn't any worse in Hondas than it is most other turbo DI engines, but with Honda's reputation people are concerned about it.

Which modern Toyotas consume oil? My wife's terrible 3-speed 2002 Corolla drank a ton of oil, but I assumed that was because of poor maintenance practices before her ownership, and the non-overdrive transmission plus Texas freeway speed limits meaning it spent an excessive amount of time over 5,000 RPM.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

I can't think of a recent Toyota that has had oil consumption or dilution problems, while pretty much every manufacturer has at least one engine family that has become known for that. Most BMW engines will drink a quart every 3k-ish miles, and many consume much faster than that. The Ford Coyote engine family consumes oil, and there's been several rounds of TSBs to attempt to repair it. Kia/Hyundai have a giant class action lawsuit going on right now about oil consumption, and the new Hondas have all sorts of chatter about oil dilution, which apparently isn't any worse in Hondas than it is most other turbo DI engines, but with Honda's reputation people are concerned about it.

Which modern Toyotas consume oil? My wife's terrible 3-speed 2002 Corolla drank a ton of oil, but I assumed that was because of poor maintenance practices before her ownership, and the non-overdrive transmission plus Texas freeway speed limits meaning it spent an excessive amount of time over 5,000 RPM.

The N55 wasn’t really know for consuming oil. It’s common problems we’re the turbo wastegates, water pump, and hpfp.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
What recent Chrysler engine consumed oil?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

After "poaching" my Bronco reservation and me emailing all the Ford bigwigs that people regularly complain to, the local dealership called me and apologized and they put my order in 99 (hold) priority because I wanted to wait for a manual sasquatch which wasn't available first year.

Fast forward to a little while ago and I got an email from Ford corporate saying my order had been updated. I figure this meant they had essentially re-poached it i.e. added it back into the order queue in the hopes I had abandoned it. Stopped in today and sure enough, that's what had happened. Just random color and equipment, not at all what I'd ordered. So I had them fix the order to what I want. They have it in as Priority 10 which IIRC is the highest normal priority you can do. We'll see if they make it a lower priority now that they know I haven't abandoned it so they won't be able to as easily put it on the lot with a big ADM.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
i mean manufacturers have absolutely blown it with regards to cars that shouldnt have been priced or positioned as halo cars(hello Chevrolet SS) but the Supra is not one of them. Toyota knew exactly who they were marketing to and they bought it

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

The SS was born to die though, for many reasons including being named the SS.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

bird with big dick posted:

After "poaching" my Bronco reservation and me emailing all the Ford bigwigs that people regularly complain to, the local dealership called me and apologized and they put my order in 99 (hold) priority because I wanted to wait for a manual sasquatch which wasn't available first year.

Fast forward to a little while ago and I got an email from Ford corporate saying my order had been updated. I figure this meant they had essentially re-poached it i.e. added it back into the order queue in the hopes I had abandoned it. Stopped in today and sure enough, that's what had happened. Just random color and equipment, not at all what I'd ordered. So I had them fix the order to what I want. They have it in as Priority 10 which IIRC is the highest normal priority you can do. We'll see if they make it a lower priority now that they know I haven't abandoned it so they won't be able to as easily put it on the lot with a big ADM.

This is awesome. Are you "guaranteed" one at MSRP?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I have the order that has the spot where they have the ability to add ADM and it's set at 0.00 and I believe some people have effectively used this to get the dealer to knock off ADM but nothing is guaranteed imo no matter what you have. Like you can't call the cops and make them sell you a car at MSRP if they decide to be shitbags once the car actually shows up.

And who knows when it'll even be built. Maybe they've got 50 orders in priority 10 and only 20 allocations this year or something.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Throatwarbler posted:

What recent Chrysler engine consumed oil?

Dunno if it counts as 'recent' but the 2.4 in my brother in laws Renegade has used oil from quite a low mileage.

Apparently it's a distant cousin to the Theta-II in my Hyundai so I guess that makes sense (although my car uses barely any oil at 85,000miles)

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I think the 2.4l in my '09 Corolla, which I think was also used in the Camry and maybe some other stuff too was known as a bit of an oil burner.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Not oil consumption, but didn’t the Toyota 3.0L V6 have a problem with oil sludge?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

Not oil consumption, but didn’t the Toyota 3.0L V6 have a problem with oil sludge?

Yeah the 1MZ would sludge the hell up if you didn't stay on top of oil changes. But they were fine if you did, my wife had her dad's old 99 Camry and he was anal about maintenance; the engine was spotless internally (when I was changing valve cover gaskets) and drat near silent still at 150k when we sold it. Seriously once of the smoothest engines I've ever heard.

I still wanted to drop a TRD supercharger on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Toyota's 2AZ 2.4L four cylinder had oil consumption problems due to poorly-designed oil control rings drain holes in the piston. The fix was new pistons and piston rings.