Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I switched from Chunky to Panels and it seems pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

hatty posted:

I switched from Chunky to Panels and it seems pretty good

I looked at that on the App Store and it has in app purchases. Are those required to use the app in any meaningful way?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I don’t think so? I paid a one time $7 two years ago and I don’t know what any of that new subscription garbage is

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Jose Oquendo posted:

I looked at that on the App Store and it has in app purchases. Are those required to use the app in any meaningful way?

These are the premium features and prices. I just keep the comics in cloud storage and “share” them to Panels. Works awesome!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I need USBC hub help, not sure if this is the place to ask, but here we go.

I’m looking for the following:

3 USB A ports minimum. 2.0/3.0 doesnt matter as this will mainly be for MIDI over usb.
1 audio jack for wired headphones
Power passthrough

Nice to have: SD Card reader

I dont care about HDMI, ethernet, DP, or anything else. I’m losing my mind looking through Amazon trying to find this. I’d be using this mainly for iPad music stuff.

This is for an iPad pro 2021, I know thunderbolt is an option but honestly thats a shallower rabbit hole that seems to cost a lot more.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Power passthrough and headphones is easy, but getting those usb-a ports is gonna be hard. If you can force yourself to tolerate the hdmi ports getting a docking station is your best bet. The cablematters one reviews highly, but you're gonna pay for the privilege.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

xzzy posted:

Power passthrough and headphones is easy, but getting those usb-a ports is gonna be hard. If you can force yourself to tolerate the hdmi ports getting a docking station is your best bet. The cablematters one reviews highly, but you're gonna pay for the privilege.

Yeah, Ive seen those, but I’m trying to avoid another power cable here. Thanks though!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

Yeah, Ive seen those, but I’m trying to avoid another power cable here. Thanks though!

But you want power passthrough right? You'd need a power cable anyways, and the docks I've looked at just use the one power cable.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

xzzy posted:

But you want power passthrough right? You'd need a power cable anyways, and the docks I've looked at just use the one power cable.

Yep, youre right, but im trying to use just a USBC cable. It sounds silly but im keeping travel in mind here too and not having to keep another cable with me. I think I’m just going to have to settle on 2 usb ports at this point.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

I need USBC hub help, not sure if this is the place to ask, but here we go.

I’m looking for the following:

3 USB A ports minimum. 2.0/3.0 doesnt matter as this will mainly be for MIDI over usb.
1 audio jack for wired headphones
Power passthrough

Nice to have: SD Card reader

I dont care about HDMI, ethernet, DP, or anything else. I’m losing my mind looking through Amazon trying to find this. I’d be using this mainly for iPad music stuff.

This is for an iPad pro 2021, I know thunderbolt is an option but honestly thats a shallower rabbit hole that seems to cost a lot more.

Why not just add a usb-a hub onto the dongle you buy?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm getting an iPad Air. Do you think the Smart Keyboard Folio and Apple Pencil 2 are substantially better than third-party alternatives?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Pencil yes. Keyboard no UNLESS you only want to use it exactly in a laptop position and not as a more mobile tablet you can rotate and all normally. I much prefer a folding stand and wireless keyboard but if you mainly use it like a laptop the keyboard is really nice.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Matt Zerella posted:

Yep, youre right, but im trying to use just a USBC cable. It sounds silly but im keeping travel in mind here too and not having to keep another cable with me. I think I’m just going to have to settle on 2 usb ports at this point.

Would this work? It seems to have the things you want, plus a lot of stuff you don't

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerExpand-Adapter-Delivery-Ethernet/dp/B08NDGD2V5/

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Bobstar posted:

Would this work? It seems to have the things you want, plus a lot of stuff you don't

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerExpand-Adapter-Delivery-Ethernet/dp/B08NDGD2V5/

Yep. That'll work! There are so many of these hubs I must have missed it. Thanks!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I just wish I knew how the Brydge Air attaches. Is it all magnetic? Do I have to use some dumb case for it to work well?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm getting an iPad Air. Do you think the Smart Keyboard Folio and Apple Pencil 2 are substantially better than third-party alternatives?

I just got an iPad Air a couple weeks ago and had the same questions. The Apple keyboard /trackpad thing is really loving nice and absolutely worth the premium.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

The keyboard completely changed how I interact with my iPad, for the better. Both this and the pencil are fantastic.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's weird how keyboard support is app dependent. Discord for example has some bugs that make it unusable.

I would have assumed that all keyboard input would be handled by the OS, the app just gets data from it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

JNCO BILOBA posted:

The keyboard completely changed how I interact with my iPad, for the better. Both this and the pencil are fantastic.

It definitely makes it to where I use it instead of my MBA 99% of the time.

That said, if Apple dropped an 11 inch M1 MBA I'd buy it in a heartbeat. There's a few things MacOS does that are better for my needs.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

If you are getting AppleCare+, the first party keyboard and pencil are covered under it. the third party ones are not.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

pencil's great, keyboard's so-so

people arguing that the keyboards are good enough that they're willing to use the iPad over a Mac laptop makes me scratch my head

it's a compromised keyboard setup and iPadOS limits what you can do with keyboard entry

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I use an Apple Pencil 2 all the time. I also like my Logitech k380 with my iPad Mini. I can't use an official Apple keyboard w/ the mini, but I as I understand it the official keyboard adds like 1.5x the weight on top of the Air for stability. Idk if you're going to keyboard it a lot, but to me that's a lot of weight. I think if you are going to go caseless with your Air, this might be ok because you can just remove the Air from the keyboard, but if you want a case it's kind of like playing dressup w/ your iPad everytime.

anothergod fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 17, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone know why USB-C headphones wouldn’t work correctly with the iPad Pro? I have a pair of AKGs that intermittently work and I’m not sure why.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I use the adapter so I couldn’t say. Can you swap the cable or is it hardwired

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hatty posted:

I use the adapter so I couldn’t say. Can you swap the cable or is it hardwired

It’s hardwired. The adapter works fine it’s just weird that the straight usb c ones are kinda flakey.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Okay, I'd like an iPad, and the new iPad air seems really nice, but the whole Apple upselling structure is stressing me out in regards to storage space. I'm very unlikely to ever be editing video on the thing, there's a small chance I could at some point use it for recording audio down the line (although would probably still prefer to edit audio in Audacity on my PC), but otherwise it'll mostly for google docs/sheets/setting pdfs/watching things/reading books and comics, and this seems like it'll last a fair number of years before I have to worry about multitasking that stuff making things chug. Would I be fine with 64 gig? Is my stubbornness over not wanting to play the game and creeping up to the next tier/ipad pro/etc just aggravate me down the line?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
To me, it’s just worth it to pay the extra 70-150 and future proof my purchase for awhile. It saves on future hassle and frustration.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

To me, it’s just worth it to pay the extra 70-150 and future proof my purchase for awhile. It saves on future hassle and frustration.

I've just looked on UK Amazon, and the 2021 128GB iPad pro is the same price as the 256 2022 ipad air. Is there any reason to get this year's air over last year's pro, save for that cool blue body?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The only things the Pro will add are FaceID (but no TouchID) and 120 Hz screen.

The screen is nice, but I'd take the storage.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Won't you have the thing in a case anyway?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Endless Mike posted:

It's also 100 nits brighter, has double the speakers, and the port is thunderbolt instead of just usb-c

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Won't you have the thing in a case anyway?

No because I am a fool and I like the sleek feel of naked technology

I'm leaning towards the pro as I don't think I'd need that much storage what with cloud stuff and I'm used to my high refresh rate phone and monitor. But is there an argument for getting the air in terms.of longer term support/updates from Apple? Is there an argument for waiting a couple months to see if a new pro lands?
I feel like my brain is poisoned by the opinions of a thousand YouTubers and tech blogs.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The Grumbles posted:

But is there an argument for getting the air in terms.of longer term support/updates from Apple?
Is there an argument for waiting a couple months to see if a new pro lands?

Nope. (same CPU gen in Pro 2021 and Air 2022)
Maybe.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Valid points , but honestly I disagree , the 120Hz screen alone is worth the price difference for the Pros.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

No because I am a fool and I like the sleek feel of naked technology

I just can't justify having a thousand dollar device without some sort of protection, even if it's minimal

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The extra brightness on the pro is only useful in the sun, if you crank it to max at night with the lights off it's painful to look at. Even during the day sitting on a desk it's in the "why is this so loving bright??" tier. I don't think the screen alone justifies the purchase, you have to need the extra processing power and memory to justify it.

If the workload is watching video and web browsing the Air is the play and will give many years of use.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

xzzy posted:

Even during the day sitting on a desk it's in the "why is this so loving bright??" tier.

Open your curtains once in a while

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

xzzy posted:

The extra brightness on the pro is only useful in the sun, if you crank it to max at night with the lights off it's painful to look at. Even during the day sitting on a desk it's in the "why is this so loving bright??" tier. I don't think the screen alone justifies the purchase, you have to need the extra processing power and memory to justify it.

If the workload is watching video and web browsing the Air is the play and will give many years of use.

The 1:1 display for letter paper and extra brightness were the whole reason I bought the 12.9” Pro myself. Makes it an excellent lightbox for tracing and other art. Otherwise I keep it below half brightness.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Feels weird that a year later the new iPad is a Pro with a worse display for the same price unless you can live with 64gb of storage. Anyone who bought a launch M1 Pro 350+ days ago wins the value wars.

It’s been interesting watching you go through the exact same process I did Grumbles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’d buy a 12.9in air in a second. But I guess if I wanna go big I gotta go all out and get features I don’t really need