Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
lol I guess someone at Xbox was as baffled about their refusal to port P5 to PC as everyone here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
GIVE ME THE GAME ATLUS WINDOWS

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Finally finally boxed off p5 royal. That last month is a lengthy one isn't it, my goodness.

If I hadn't played vanilla first and loved it I'd have loved this one. Liked the quality of life stuff they added and some absolute bangers added to the soundtrack as expected.

Obnoxious spoiler box:

If I didn't know Dr Maruki was a new character who was obviously integral to the plot it would have been a more interesting reveal but that can't be helped. would be interesting to know how people who played royal only felt about it.

Liked the way they did the 'new years but everything is slightly off' reveal. They made me care about akechi. Liked sumire, didn't feel like she was shoehorned in there too much.

Still has the same problem as vanilla where Shido isn't the ultimate mastermind you've been working against the whole time, he's just incidentally been doing his own thing while both parties have been ignorant of the other so it's not really a cathartic boss fight, especially when the real villian turns out to be 'er, god I guess'.

I like it when a bad guy is in plain sight the whole time and I feel like you could have done that with him, maybe joker can't remember what he looks like from the assault, popping up on TV or at madarames exhibition in the background etc. Or set him up to be completely clueless about the whole thing and he's just been improbably in the right place to benefit from all these mysterious deaths and make Akechi the main villain pulling the strings? Idk

And then the final final this time we mean it boss isn't really a bad guy either. Bit underwhelming but its stylish enough that it gets away with it

Overall 8 or 9/10, GG would play again (but not for a while, 108 hours Jesus Christ)

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The thing is Shido is the mastermind, he's planned all the political stuff out and is the one using Akechi as a weapon. Akechi can't be the mastermind because it kind of breaks the themes of the game around abuse of power. Shido is a politician who wants to be emperor and that's the point. After he falls, Yaldabaoth's rigged game is completed, because nobody cares that Shido was a terrifying mastermind, they just wanted stability and to have their lives dictated for them the way Shido was going to do.

He's thematically the result of the mortal version of what Yaldabaoth represents. Which for the record, Yaldabaoth isn't a god, he's a being born of the collective subconscious desire for control that the Phantom Thieves rebel against, because he's rigged the game in his favour as soon as he was created. The insiduous nature of fascism I guess.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 16, 2022

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
All very true! Would have just preferred it if Shido kept popping up throughout the game rather than one meeting in the hotel where unless you skipped the intro where you saw the one bald character in the game you can obviously tell he's going to be important later. I loved that in 4 it just gave you a list of everyone you'd met in the game and asked you to make your shot - and that adachi was there the whole time and there was a chance you might not have suspected him if you weren't switched on.

also shooting Adam kadmon in the head and saying 'checkmate' was a bit anti climactic. he's your counselor he doesn't even play chess or discuss chess at any time! at least give me a 'looks like the doctor *blam* is out' smh

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

the sex ghost posted:

All very true! Would have just preferred it if Shido kept popping up throughout the game rather than one meeting in the hotel where unless you skipped the intro where you saw the one bald character in the game you can obviously tell he's going to be important later. I loved that in 4 it just gave you a list of everyone you'd met in the game and asked you to make your shot - and that adachi was there the whole time and there was a chance you might not have suspected him if you weren't switched on.

also shooting Adam kadmon in the head and saying 'checkmate' was a bit anti climactic. he's your counselor he doesn't even play chess or discuss chess at any time! at least give me a 'looks like the doctor *blam* is out' smh

But Takemi isn't in the fight!

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

The problem with the ending of vanilla P5 isn't who the final boss is - it's that they don't do anything specific with who the final boss is. Yaldabaloth is fairly tedious as a final fight. The interesting and resonant part that never once gets brought up and should have made the final fight amazing isn't that you are fighting the Holy Grail - it's that you are fighting Fake!Igor, the person who has imprisoned you in your dreams and has been leading you into a rigged game where he is also playing the other side. It could and should have been amazing with Velvet Room imagery and the fusion tools being used against you.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Oh man, is it finally going to happen????

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Almost certainly just attention-seeking behavior by some dumbass social media intern.

The nvidia leak revealed every major new release and port coming to PC in the next two years, including stuff like the Demon's Souls remake, Horizon:FW, Returnal, an as-yet unnamed new game by Respawn, etc.

Persona 5 was not on the list (and nor was Bloodborne for that matter). Almost certainly not happening before 2024 if ever.

e: I pulled the two year timeline out of my rear end but that's probably a reasonable estimate for the time horizon for planned upcoming releases.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

remember Persona x Arby's

https://twitter.com/arbys/status/982286829528453121?lang=en
https://twitter.com/arbys/status/849275376962478082

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Seems like the April announcement was the new live concert in October (but they tend to announce things at those concerts and there's apparently an announcement scheduled for that month and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa)

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I've decided to dip my toes into my first JRPG, Final Fantasy doesn't count does it? Anyway, Persona 5 Royale was on sale and from what the OP states, it looks like a decent jumping point with quality of life improvements, which I'm all about.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Welcome. Hopefully the length of P5R doesn't scare you off.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Finally got the 100% Thieves Den achievement, and the rewards are appropriately OP.

Summoning Personas being free but fusing for high level Personas still costing money is bullshit though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

obi_ant posted:

I've decided to dip my toes into my first JRPG, Final Fantasy doesn't count does it? Anyway, Persona 5 Royale was on sale and from what the OP states, it looks like a decent jumping point with quality of life improvements, which I'm all about.

Final Fantasy absolutely counts. P5R is a heck of a game but it's also a LOT of game. Best advice I can give is don't get bogged down in the details and just enjoy the ride.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

obi_ant posted:

I will give the opposite advice. If you want to see everything on a single playthrough, use a spoiler free guide. There’s plenty of missable stuff.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm slowly getting back into watching the LP of P5R I was before and I know something is supposed to be fishy about the principal, but I can't get over him getting angry at a 16 year old girl for not bringing down the loving mafia.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's a cultural thing, standards are just different over there. Taking down a criminal syndicate is like going to prom or getting your license. It's just something that happens for highschoolers

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm slowly getting back into watching the LP of P5R I was before and I know something is supposed to be fishy about the principal, but I can't get over him getting angry at a 16 year old girl for not bringing down the loving mafia.

I think technically Makoto's 17. Which obviously CHANGES EVERYTHING.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Atlus is doing a consumer survey in English. If absolutely nothing else, tell Atlus to port all of their games to PC and also to remake Persona 2.

https://p-ch.jp/enquete2022/na/

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

DemoneeHo posted:

Atlus is doing a consumer survey in English. If absolutely nothing else, tell Atlus to port all of their games to PC and also to remake Persona 2.

https://p-ch.jp/enquete2022/na/

Robot lady telling me my answers was creepy
I have demanded P5R and Ogre Battle ports

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ogre Battle? Isn't that Squenix?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I asked for Tycoon on my iPhone. I already willed one game into existence this year might as well make my second request something smaller

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Commander Keene posted:

Ogre Battle? Isn't that Squenix?

Ogre Battle 64 was published by Atlus back in the day and I think that was my first Atlus game I ever played. Loved the hell out of it until the ending because I didn’t understand the liberate/capture mechanics. That didn’t bode well for me

Also pretty sure Tactics Ogre gba was Atlus as well and I think I clocked in more hours on that game then any other on the GBA

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Atlus is an older company than you'd think and their publishing library is full of random poo poo.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Funky Valentine posted:

Atlus is an older company than you'd think and their publishing library is full of random poo poo.
I know that they've been around a while (IIRC they're at least as old as the Famicom), and that they did a lot of publishing, especially in the US where they'd handle localization for a bunch of small-scale Japanese studios that didn't have US localization arms of their own. But I think the Ogre Battle franchise is part of the Squenix umbrella nowadays, I don't even know if Atlus could do anything with it if they wanted to?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

square enix seems to be having constant fire sales for all non-dragon quest/ final fantasy ips. Atlus probably could make a new ogre battle extremely easily.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

square enix seems to be having constant fire sales for all non-dragon quest/ final fantasy ips. Atlus probably could make a new ogre battle extremely easily.

Not only that but considering how they sold the Tomb Raider IP for Metaverse/NFT utilization, if they do own ogre battle I’m sure they could get it on the cheap.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
One of the baffling things to me is why do they even need so much capital to get into NFTs anyway, I thought it cost basically nothing to "make" them which is part of why everyone has been doing it. Is it just the costs of the exorbitant waste of electricity involved to "mint" JPEGs of Final Fantasy characters to bilk to idiots?
Though if we get a new Deus Ex or a good new Thief game it might be the only good thing to come out of all this outside of the schadenfreude of people getting hacked and losing their six figures of apes.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Item Getter posted:

One of the baffling things to me is why do they even need so much capital to get into NFTs anyway, I thought it cost basically nothing to "make" them which is part of why everyone has been doing it. Is it just the costs of the exorbitant waste of electricity involved to "mint" JPEGs of Final Fantasy characters to bilk to idiots?
Though if we get a new Deus Ex or a good new Thief game it might be the only good thing to come out of all this outside of the schadenfreude of people getting hacked and losing their six figures of apes.

I kinda doubt they go into em now that a major crash is occurring but I imagine they were/are thinking of a triple A axie infinity clone

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Item Getter posted:

I always assumed that a lot of the perceived value of NFTs to people who bought them were things like that one series of tweets about "imagine buying an in-game asset, then being able to use that forever going forward, in ANY game!!!!"

which of course ignores almost everything about how games work, copyrights, IPs, and about a million other issues which would prevent that use-case from EVER happening.

I assume there are similar nonsense lines of thinking in other areas which are not gaming.

But to people who pay $500 for a hat in a video game, the idea of getting to wear their cool hat IN EVERY GAME EVER was a big draw, and jacked up the price?

I'm just guessing, tho.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

The teacup set is pretty tempting to me.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

HaB posted:

I always assumed that a lot of the perceived value of NFTs to people who bought them were things like that one series of tweets about "imagine buying an in-game asset, then being able to use that forever going forward, in ANY game!!!!"

which of course ignores almost everything about how games work, copyrights, IPs, and about a million other issues which would prevent that use-case from EVER happening.

I assume there are similar nonsense lines of thinking in other areas which are not gaming.

But to people who pay $500 for a hat in a video game, the idea of getting to wear their cool hat IN EVERY GAME EVER was a big draw, and jacked up the price?

I'm just guessing, tho.
The reason NFTs are valued the way they are is because the market is almost completely unregulated and so basically every crypto business is the equivalent of three kids in a trenchcoat pretending to be an adult except instead of kids it's scams.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Iirc a lot of NFT sales were people "selling" them to themselves to make it look like there was huge demand for them.

Or as the analogy used for crypto in general goes, I have a dog and you have a dog. I say "I'll sell you my dog for a billion dollars," you say "I'll sell you my dog for a billion dollars," and now we claim that our dogs are worth 2 billion dollars.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

How does Strikers perform on Switch? Weighing up whether to get it on PS4 or Switch - and would rather have it portable, and prefer to collect Switch cartridges because nostalgia.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's obviously better on PS4 at 60fps but I had a good time with it on switch. it's not enough of an action game where the lower framerate really bites

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://youtu.be/dUxzbnKKzf8

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

After years of playing Persona 3 through 5 over and over again, I finally worked up the courage to play Persona 1. It just looked intimidating and dated, but it's actually not at all! Started a few days ago and right now I just finished the Lost Forest, and Mana Castle dungeons. For sure going to play Persona 2 next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

I said come in! posted:

After years of playing Persona 3 through 5 over and over again, I finally worked up the courage to play Persona 1. It just looked intimidating and dated, but it's actually not at all! Started a few days ago and right now I just finished the Lost Forest, and Mana Castle dungeons. For sure going to play Persona 2 next.

I'm really curious about how you feel about the story and ideas in the first one. I came into the series sequentially as it was released, rather than starting in the Hashino trilogy.