Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
My personal rankings so far:
1. Sophie - queen, I am in love with her. Playing the Morgana role, that lipstick painting task jeeesus.
2. Chris - trying a bit too hard but good in the tasks
3. Ardal - sweet but kinda boring
4. Judi - a bit out of her depth so far but I want to her to do well as I've been following her for years and she's a friend of a friend. I think she will shine more as the series goes on
5. Bridget - just finding her very annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I fuckin knew Dukes was gonna be amazing

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bridget is great so far. Judi's the only one that's grating a bit.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
The only place I knew Bridget from was an episode of Off Menu but it was the funniest episode of that I've heard. Check it out for an awesome squirrel story.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Pablo Bluth posted:

The first couple of episodes of TM Portugal have been pretty good.

Agreed. I think the TM and assistant are an existing partnership, but the surprising choice of making the younger one the TM has really worked. It's like the Prince Regent getting his faithful courtesan to lay on some entertainment. Toy's take on delivering the task in a dramatic fashion was a real classic. And while the tasks aren't original, there have been some nice twists - like setting the target weight on the scales in Imperial units when the country operates strictly in Metric.

If I had one criticism it would be the final task. Partly it suffers due to the higher number of tasks a 90 minute show demands. When the finale happens after four tasks, it's quite likely that second place is still within 5 points of first, giving it some stakes. After seven tasks, there's much more chance of having an unassailable lead. Another oddity is that they seem to be exclusively awarding points to the winner of each live task, even when it's possible to rank all the contestants (e.g. in the sticky tape task). While writing this, I did wonder if the latter is a choice to try and counteract the former effect - it's easier to come from behind if you deny first place any points when doing so.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Wafflecop posted:

My personal rankings so far:
1. Sophie - queen, I am in love with her. Playing the Morgana role, that lipstick painting task jeeesus.
2. Chris - trying a bit too hard but good in the tasks
3. Ardal - sweet but kinda boring
4. Judi - a bit out of her depth so far but I want to her to do well as I've been following her for years and she's a friend of a friend. I think she will shine more as the series goes on
5. Bridget - just finding her very annoying

The sofa debate between Sophie and Greg at the beginning was such a perfect depiction of the generational divide, they should show it at corporate diversity trainings.

EDIT: Watching the episode in real time. Yeah, Bridget is a lot.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 16, 2022

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Sophie was the only one to actually use the time to DESIGN A DUEL. That it would even be a moment of consideration... :confused:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

AzureSkys posted:

Seeing all these other countries being successful at their own Taskmaster series makes me extra ashamed of the US attempt.

Really enjoyed this 1st episode. It felt like Alex was excited for the rap duel given how The Horne Section often goes. I'm not sure how much he improvises on that, but it seems a type of thing he enjoys doing. It's fun seeing him enjoy participation since typically whatever he ends up being made to do is quite awkward.

I feel like we deserve another shot, not on comedy central, not with Alex backseat Taskmastering, but our own sassy taskmaster and their goober assistant. We've got plenty of comedians who can handle the roles, honestly I think give it to the Comedy Bang Bang and CBB adjacent players because they seem like they'd get both the vibe of the show and the spirit of the tasks. Lot of things to be embarrassed about in the USA, but "couldn't handle taskmaster" isn't something I want dragging my nation down.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Part of the difficulty with roles is that the 'assistant' isn't there just as a comedic foil, they're the producer actually running the show and doing all the work, with the Taskmaster just there to fill in the presenting charisma. That's why they pulled Alex across for USTM, because they had him produce it.

Dunno if you were here last time it came up in the thread (it comes up pretty regularly) but most people ended up agreeing on Marc Evan Jackson being a pretty great idea for Taskmaster.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 16, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Good point, I can think of american alex hornes to fill the show-rule but not so much people who could also produce and keep things running. really, alex did a fine job in the circumstances, it's just Reggie is the absolute last person on Earth who should've been in the throne, he was definitely contestant material. Scott Auckerman is the host who comes to mind who knows how to be jovial and antagonistic in the right amounts to suit the situation. Anthony Anderson might also be good, or maybe even mama Doris lol.

In any case, at least we'll always have Katherine Ryan

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Khanstant posted:

Good point, I can think of american alex hornes to fill the show-rule but not so much people who could also produce and keep things running. really, alex did a fine job in the circumstances, it's just Reggie is the absolute last person on Earth who should've been in the throne, he was definitely contestant material. Scott Auckerman is the host who comes to mind who knows how to be jovial and antagonistic in the right amounts to suit the situation. Anthony Anderson might also be good, or maybe even mama Doris lol.

Joel Hodgson might have made a good assistant.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Speaking of American adaptations, Would I Lie to You just started on the CW in the past week. I liked it.

Richard Kind absolutely steals the show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDybLPcD7uo

itry
Aug 23, 2019

oh jay posted:

Speaking of American adaptations, Would I Lie to You just started on the CW in the past week. I liked it.

Richard Kind absolutely steals the show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDybLPcD7uo

Hmm... Based on past adaptations I assumed the US version will be terrible, but this isn't bad. For a pilot.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I discussed it in the UKTV thread. I'd say it was a reasonable foundation to build on rather than being brilliant from the off, with the exception of Richard Kind absolutely nailing it. The main downfall is the lack of run time due to the crazy amount of adverts they have to cram in.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Part of the difficulty with roles is that the 'assistant' isn't there just as a comedic foil, they're the producer actually running the show and doing all the work, with the Taskmaster just there to fill in the presenting charisma. That's why they pulled Alex across for USTM, because they had him produce it.

Dunno if you were here last time it came up in the thread (it comes up pretty regularly) but most people ended up agreeing on Marc Evan Jackson being a pretty great idea for Taskmaster.

I still think Conan and Jordan Schlansky would be a great pairing for TM.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

matt walsh is a really good core cast member for this kinda thing, also looked at a trailer and there's Julie Klausner and Chris Gethard in some of the other episodes, seems promising

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Organic Lube User posted:

I still think Conan and Jordan Schlansky would be a great pairing for TM.

Nearly perfect.

Conan and Jack McBrayer.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Khanstant posted:

She's Canadian, and not really in any way that's relevant, I think her entire comedy career has been in the UK.

Speaking of which, I could see a Canadian Taskmaster working. We're usually slightly better at pulling off British adaptations (our bakeoff, dragon's den), and there's the tiniest little glimmer of panel shows being a thing here.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
A Canadian TM has just been announced. Or should I say, a Quebecois TM has been announced.

https://www.lapresse.ca/arts/television/2022-04-12/le-maitre-du-jeu/un-nouveau-jeu-tele-anime-par-louis-morissette.php

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

MikeJF posted:

You spelled Conan O'Brien wrong :huh:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The World Inferno posted:

You spelled Conan O'Brien wrong :huh:

Weirdly, I could see him better in the Alex role.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I can see Conan as Taskmaster in terms of antagonistic host, but I have a harder time seeing him muster the "give a poo poo" for many of the tasks.

enki42 posted:

She's Canadian, and not really in any way that's relevant, I think her entire comedy career has been in the UK.

Speaking of which, I could see a Canadian Taskmaster working. We're usually slightly better at pulling off British adaptations (our bakeoff, dragon's den), and there's the tiniest little glimmer of panel shows being a thing here.

She talks regular and besides, Canada is basically the reserve USA state just in case, for now we just use it as a place to breed our actors and musicians.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

He'd be great but I'd still go for Paul F Tompkins as my top choice. I can really see him delivering the cheerful sadism the role requires.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Khanstant posted:

I can see Conan as Taskmaster in terms of antagonistic host, but I have a harder time seeing him muster the "give a poo poo" for many of the tasks.

I think the most important quality is that from his shows he recognizes what a joy it is to be the 'king' of a little domain.

The_Doctor posted:

Weirdly, I could see him better in the Alex role.

This is crazy talk.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Pablo Bluth posted:

A Canadian TM has just been announced. Or should I say, a Quebecois TM has been announced.

https://www.lapresse.ca/arts/television/2022-04-12/le-maitre-du-jeu/un-nouveau-jeu-tele-anime-par-louis-morissette.php

Does "animée" mean something different in Quebec vs France or are they actually making a Taskmaster cartoon?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

ookiimarukochan posted:

Does _____ mean something different in Quebec vs France...?

Safe to assume yes

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Khanstant posted:

She talks regular and besides, Canada is basically the reserve USA state just in case, for now we just use it as a place to breed our actors and musicians.

Olga Koch talks american style but she hasn't done Taskmaster yet.

Katherine Ryan is fine, but there's a touch of snobbery there that puts me off, similar to Natasha Leggero (she's okay on that new cooking show but her last sitcom was poo poo).

I give preference to the goofballs, like Lou Sanders. Strong manic pixie energy.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

I think Ali Wong could pull off that Asian parent nothing you do is good enough vibe as taskmaster. I also think Thomas Middleditch (gently caress this guy) or Ben Schwartz would make great assistants. No matter who, I think you need people with good improv skills. And it should be on either Netflix, cause they generally let creative people do their thing, or some no name company willing to take a risk. Comedy Central or HBO or whatever are going to edit it to hell and back and just try way too hard in the wrong ways.

Edit: ok I did some googling

sim fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 17, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

might wanna google thomas middleditch

sim
Sep 24, 2003

eke out posted:

might wanna google thomas middleditch

Ugh, thanks. Last I heard about him was the open relationship stuff, didn't realize he was accused of sexual assault. God drat Hollywood needs to burn.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

fuckdamnit

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
gently caress him, but the sentiment remains for the good improv comedians who aren't pests, that comedic sensibility and quick thinking and banterability seem to be the closest natural way to evoke the UK Gameshow spirit that just never evolved in the US, and which seems integral to the formula's success. Probably doesn't help that american media spread out across east coast, west coast, south coast, Canada. Seems like you need some kind of field-narrowing to get some sense of natural bullshitting around among contestants.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Olga Koch talks american style but she hasn't done Taskmaster yet.

Katherine Ryan is fine, but there's a touch of snobbery there that puts me off, similar to Natasha Leggero (she's okay on that new cooking show but her last sitcom was poo poo).

Oh she's definitely got that fancy lass mean girl vibe, same as Natasha, but I've always had a soft spot for that archetype when it's funny and intentional rather than just, someone from a real housewives kinda life making a joke while being themselves.

Just looked up some Olga stuff and she'd definitely be good on TM, she's also been in lots of things with other folks who already have

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Tim Baltz would be a great assistant. More in a Paul Williams style than Alex Horne.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Khanstant posted:

gently caress him, but the sentiment remains for the good improv comedians who aren't pests, that comedic sensibility and quick thinking and banterability seem to be the closest natural way to evoke the UK Gameshow spirit that just never evolved in the US, and which seems integral to the formula's success. Probably doesn't help that american media spread out across east coast, west coast, south coast, Canada. Seems like you need some kind of field-narrowing to get some sense of natural bullshitting around among contestants.

I feel like in the US you do have some pretty localized entertainment scenes, with New York and LA being the huge hotspots, but what seems to always happen is you'll get these comedy groups that emerge from The Second City or wherever and might go on to do a successful sketch series on HBO, or they join SNL, or even just get big on YouTube, but then after that they seem to all just kind of go their separate ways and none of it has really coalesced into a larger comedy circuit the way that panel shows have in the UK.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's probably a lot easier to organize a comedy scene for tv when your country is the size of Washington state and all the comedians are under the same agency representation.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah that's what I mean, gotta narrow it way down to even get a chance of roping a good banterable group together.

Lauren Lapkus, Paul F Thompkins, Tawny Newsome, Adam Scott, Andy Daly. Could pretty much pick cbb guests out of a bag and get a good vibe.

Joel McHale, Gillian Jacobs, Yvette Nicole Brown, Ken Jeong, Danny Pudi (just can't imagine Donald Glover or John Oliver showing up but they'd be great too)

Just gonna have to stick to comedians who already worked together for years one way or the other. In any case, the comedy central attempt casting must've been some deliberate effort to pick exactly six people who would have the least synergy between themselves, the show, and alex.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Talent isn’t the problem. The problem is the overproduced poo poo that 99% of any nonscripted tv show ends up as in the US.

“Previously on Mountain Dew Presents Taskmaster: bleeeeeep bleep, dramatic sound effects, bleep. And that’s all the time we have, tune in next week for another 18 minutes of show”

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Wasn't a big problem with the original taskmaster USA that it had only a half hour slot, so with that plus stupid long us ad breaks there was barely any time for the show to happen?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Mainwaring posted:

Wasn't a big problem with the original taskmaster USA that it had only a half hour slot, so with that plus stupid long us ad breaks there was barely any time for the show to happen?

As much vitriol has been spilled about the show, that's like 95% of the reason it didn't work. Make it 42 minutes, get somebody besides Alex to be the Alex, and you'd probably have a minor successful show that might eventually turn out a decent season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'd certainly be down for basically "Comedy Bang Bang presents Taskmaster." I'm a big PFT fan, and I think if he were involved as the Taskmaster awarding points or as a contestant it'd be very hard for that show to not be entertaining as hell to me. There's such a deep bench of comedians with an improv background as well that would make them very suitable to the Taskmaster dynamic. I know Conan involved as the Taskmaster has been brought up more than a few times as well.

I think my "this can't fail to be entertaining and is probably affordable/realistic" dream team for American success would be (and I'm sure I've chimed in to share similar thoughts before, though I think some names are different this time around):

-Conan as Taskmaster, as both a big name to bring attention to the project and a history of being a drat good host who can think on his feet.

-Ben Schwartz in the Alex Horne/assistant to the taskmaster who's around to supervise the various tasks.

-for contestants I'd go with Paul F. Tompkins, Tim Baltz, Tawny Newsome, Jason Mantzoukas, and Nick Offerman (I read his memoir and between that and everything else I've seen and heard about him, I can basically guarantee you he'll break Tasks in fun ways and end up winning the season). This would also give a mix of people who have teamed up often on comedy stuff and some people who don't have that instant natural synergy, which oddly enough is more interesting to me than if you went full CBB with it and put together a crew of people who've all done improv or general podcast stuff with each other dozens of times in various combinations.

-The right showrunner/writing crew who gets that they aren't trying to make traditional reality TV here, but also knows how to appeal to American audiences.

I also think one or two younger contestants would be great, but it tends to take awhile for comedy people to really take off and get onto anyone's radar. Or conversely, they become too successful to be likely to want to do the show, with Bo Burnham being my go-to example of that kind of dynamic where he seems like he'd be a fun fit but I don't see him wanting to do it.

Ironically, a show like this seems right up Seeso's alley, but alas they went under on us. Netflix gave Murderville a shot, so maybe they'll be open to giving something like a fresh TM a try. There's also that razor thin 1% chance that Taskmaster or something very similar to it is what Conan wants to do in his future HBO Max show, maybe something with the same vibe and persistent guests but with more of a travel/remote angel to it, but that's pretty clearly a pipe dream.

I take some solace in the fact that more and more TM stuff keeps being produced in various countries and the U.K., and when something has that level of international popularity it becomes more tempting to take another swing at it in the U.S. It also seems like a concept where a successful comedian in the U.S. (as in former late night host or comedy movie star) can look at it and envision how to do it right, then basically showrun the adaptation and probably finance it as well. Of course, that does open up the Monkey's Paw answer of Jay Leno finally using his Tonight Show money to make this show happen with him as the host.

I also like that Alex Horne has to be wildly rich from Taskmaster at this point, since he just seems like generally a nice guy.

Also, just to throw out a random prompt: I've read and engaged in plenty of speculation about what a great U.S. Taskmaster cast would look like today, but I don't think I've seen many instances of what a person's "All time, living or dead, price is no object" U.S. version of Taskmaster might look like. I obviously have my own thoughts about it, and I'll probably share them in another post since this one's already long, but I'm curious what people might come up with there.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Apr 18, 2022