Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Ringo Roadagain posted:

they would probably also have to completely rework monk if they did that.

Dragoon too kinda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Every time people say they wish pve had one button combos I am thankful that goons aren't the ones designing this game.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I wouldn't mind my 1 2 3 combo to be made 1 button when am going to want to go 1 2 1 2 1 2 over 1 2 3 1 2 3

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Zeruel posted:

I wouldn't mind my 1 2 3 combo to be made 1 button when am going to want to go 1 2 1 2 1 2 over 1 2 3 1 2 3

You're not, the fact that you're not going to want that introduces a "failure" state for performing the combo. This is the game working as intended.

Going 1 2 1 2 1 2 is wrong, and the possibility of doing it wrong is part of the design to make doing it right more complicated, whilst also doing boss mechanics, sometimes you lose your place and gently caress up your combo, and that's a place to improve that the game is intended to have.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Cleretic posted:

I was told to play healers because they're helpful, and I assumed that meant they'd heal.

Not only are you right and they're basically budget DPS with some incidental healing, but it is horribly awkward to try to use any heal that isn't WHM's Cure III.

I've been playing primarily PLD, DNC and BRD, so when I finally gave WHM a go the only thing I've struggled with is remembering that moving cancels cast times.

To help with buffing and healing, I set up macros to automatically throw those actions on my party since there's so few buttons in PvP. Here's my WHM setup, for example. (I use ESDF to move, so that's why things are shifted over a row.)

It's drastically improved my ability to use them in combat. As long as I remember to stand still for Cure II.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I was told to play healers because they're helpful, and I assumed that meant they'd heal.

Not only are you right and they're basically budget DPS with some incidental healing, but it is horribly awkward to try to use any heal that isn't WHM's Cure III.

Not in PVP. Everyone there should be able to take care of themselves now. Getting a heal from someone else is always nice, but no one should rely on that.
If you wanted intense PVP healing, you should have tried Feast before they got rid of it. I got my 60 wins for the previous Garo event with healers, and that was lots of fun.

SirSamVimes posted:

Every time people say they wish pve had one button combos I am thankful that goons aren't the ones designing this game.

And the same people complain about healer gameplay being boring because they only get to press one DPS button instead of 1-2-3 :shrug:

Tamba fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Apr 16, 2022

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010

Tamba posted:

Not in PVP. Everyone there should be able to take care of themselves now. Getting a heal from someone else is always nice, but no one should rely on that.
If you wanted intense PVP healing, you should have tried Feast before they got rid of it. I got my 60 wins for the previous Garo event with healers, and that was lots of fun.

And the same people complain about healer gameplay being boring because they only get to press one DPS button instead of 1-2-3 :shrug:

what's this "same people" thing. I like that healer only has 1 button most of the time for dps. I like being able to make that like that on my DRK and reaper even if it hardly uses those buttons. I have enough trouble keeping my eyes on everything while also doing a rotation, anything to make it simpler. The fun for me is the mechanics not inputs and my brain can't memorize rotations very well.

So glad reaper is so simple, first DPS I can actually play ok.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

There are a limited number of abilities you can add to a job before the keybinds start to become very cumbersome. Why waste 3 of them on an uninteresting 1-2-3 combo when you could condense them to 1 and use those other 2 keys on something else? I want more dps buttons on healers but I sure as gently caress don't want them to be a generic 1-2-3.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Combo discourse is always fun. I''m happy the plugin exists for people who want it and the people who don't don't have to use it :shobon:

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Apr 16, 2022

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Combo discourse is always fun. I''m happy the plugin exists for people who want it and the people who don't don't have to use it :shobon:

I would use it if I wasn't playing on console.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016

HackensackBackpack posted:

I did MSQR on WAR today and got the Ultima fight for the first time since the changes. I was quite impressed with how they dressed it up. Really made it much more interesting and quite powerful feeling.

And I was also happy SUCH DEVASTATION was retained. I wonder if we were in the same group.
Probably not since I'm certain I had a DRK as a Tank.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

First time doing the raid last night kicked my loving rear end. I have to get dnc to 90 to learn fights then BLM it. My poor healers...I promise I wasn't standing in anything I could see, I'm not a jerk :negative:

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
/vpose
/wait
/sheathe

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Pyro Jack posted:

Probably not since I'm certain I had a DRK as a Tank.

I figured it was unlikely, but it was so similar to my experience I wondered, lol. I'm glad folks are enjoying it. I really liked the new Ultima fight.

Re: PvP healer chat -- I haven't dipped my toes into that role yet, but does anyone have any comments on SGE and SCH in CC? Those are probably the ones I'm looking to try next, Sage because I could level it that way and SCH because I want to use their EW artifact set for something and I'm not much of a healer normally.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ultima's new Citadel Buster is loving rad.

Citadel Buster is also a sick name for an attack.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Zeruel posted:

I definitely had times where I was hammering Keen Edge->Brutal Shell as fast as possible trying to stay alive as a Gunbreaker.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Warmachine posted:

I'll probably spend time tomorrow trying to reorganize my UI and hotbars, along with hitting target dummies to see if I can't figure out something more intuitive.

I've come back to old classes and been aghast at my old hot bar setups. There's almost always room for better bar setups that suit your brain and hands.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

sassassin posted:

I definitely had times where I was hammering Keen Edge->Brutal Shell as fast as possible trying to stay alive as a Gunbreaker.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Keen Edge -> Brutal Shell is incredible I once had to do it after surviving a multi-stack hit with Superbolide to keep myself ahead of the boss autos.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Once again we must thank ff11

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, unfortunately, tab targeting means you gotta be really fast on your feet in terms of switching from ally targeting to enemy targeting in addition to all the positioning that they have to handle.

That said, healers have strong utility outside of their healing and damage as well. One of the reasons why WHM is considered the strongest healer (and close to must-take currently) is because they have one of the few un-Purifyable CCs (polymorph) and it happens to be a non LB, for example.

Again, if you have trouble with the healer intricacies, but still want a more supportive nature, RDM is probably your best bet. White Shift-Verholy and RDM LB is easy healing without the targeting issues, although you do still sacrifice a lot of the utility or normal healing over time that healers can bring.

quote:

Re: PvP healer chat -- I haven't dipped my toes into that role yet, but does anyone have any comments on SGE and SCH in CC? Those are probably the ones I'm looking to try next, Sage because I could level it that way and SCH because I want to use their EW artifact set for something and I'm not much of a healer normally.

SGE is unusual amongst the healers. They don't have direct targeted heals, but they have Kardia. This means they have an unusual learning curve, because their clutch power is a lot more in their Phlegma/Haima effect (even if their overall healing over time is quite reasonable). They also lack some of the more traditional utility other healers have, but have the only possible disengage amongst the healers and overall good damage. They're overall good, but their learning curve is pretty rough, especially because you need to change Kardia often to help allies (something that normal SGE's never have to do).

SCH is a bit more straightforward; apply buffs, apply debuffs, spread them with Deployment Tactics. Lots of AoE buffs/debuffs and actually quite strong healing with LB up. So you are more of a teamfighting kind of character, and a lot of your strengths will center on how well you can setup your allies, but you have to be careful to hit a lot of opponents at once, while not gtting nuked yourself. Especially because you have no true CC and no disengage. Expect to get jumped on a lot, stick more with your team, attack what they're attacking (yeah, these are PvP fundamentals, but SCH emphasizes them more than most).

AncientSpark fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 16, 2022

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

E: nevermind, too grumpy.

Mind over Matter fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 16, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm sad they didn't use this version of the song for the ultima fight especially since they use part of it in the musical portmanteau of the final fight in endwalker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv_klDrSwMU

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm sad they didn't use this version of the song for the ultima fight especially since they use part of it in the musical portmanteau of the final fight in endwalker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv_klDrSwMU

uwu privilege

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Still no house for me this day :(

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Macaluso posted:

Still no house for me this day :(

The ward my main's FC bid in was bugged, it said no one won and gave us all our money back. :(

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
LOL

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

AncientSpark posted:

Yeah, unfortunately, tab targeting means you gotta be really fast on your feet in terms of switching from ally targeting to enemy targeting in addition to all the positioning that they have to handle.

Seriously, setting up macros completely removes this difficulty. Using a macro'd ability doesn't even change who you're targeting, it just throws it out there.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

IIRC Ultima Warrior from Fractal Hard also had a Citadel Buster attack, and since it was presented as a prototype it actually fits as an attack for Ultima Weapon!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I do not envy SE's support desk right now

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Thundarr posted:

IIRC Ultima Warrior from Fractal Hard also had a Citadel Buster attack, and since it was presented as a prototype it actually fits as an attack for Ultima Weapon!

Citadel Buster itself is an oblique FFXI reference since that MMO's version of Ultima also used it. I haven't checked to see if it goes further back than that, but knowing Final Fantasy's love of self-reference I bet some earlier versions of Ultima use it too.

Specifically, early in the FFXI raid fight against Proto-Ultima it'll start using a high damage attack called Armor Buster that you just have to heal from. Under 25% it'll start a countdown before using Citadel Buster, an attack with a mitigation strategy that boiled down to "move literally everyone who isn't the tank out of the fight arena and into the hallway so they outrange the attack... and maybe raise the tank who stayed".

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/hotmomXIV/status/1515354888854978563

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Countblanc posted:

I do not envy SE's support desk right now

Yeah, this is a huge mess. Rumor is that it's an off-by-one bug, so the lottery result is one lower than it should have been. Meaning that the last person to sign up had no chance at all for that lot. There needs to be some kind of compensation for those people, but I'm not sure what and how big it would be.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Roluth posted:

Yeah, this is a huge mess. Rumor is that it's an off-by-one bug, so the lottery result is one lower than it should have been. Meaning that the last person to sign up had no chance at all for that lot. There needs to be some kind of compensation for those people, but I'm not sure what and how big it would be.

That would be incredibly frustrating, given that the winning number on mine was 7, and I was #8.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Happy Easter, support team

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Abhorrence posted:

That would be incredibly frustrating, given that the winning number on mine was 7, and I was #8.

I should be given a 15th of the winner's house to decorate. It's only fair.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
From what I've heard, some final bids won, which seems likely as an ex-programmer because the mistake is more subtle. My pseudo-code guess is ...

what they should have done: integer(random(#entrants))+1
what they probably did: integer(random(#entrants+1))
how to get the final bid never winning: integer(random(#entrants))

That game developers dealing with random numbers constantly would make a basic mistake like that is baffling, and that they never caught something so replicable in testing is even more baffling.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Roluth posted:

No, the bug is just straight up there's a dummy 0 bet on every lot. So someone who is the only participant in a lottery had a 50/50 chance to win. My guess is it's an issue with how they're adding entrants into the array of participants in the lottery, so that the first entrant is entered at array position 1 (instead of array position 0 the actual start in a computational array in most code). Which means that array entrant 0 remains an empty dummy even as more people are added, and thus a valid random winner when the lottery is rolled.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Somebody in QA is getting a very unpleasant talking-to right now. That should have been an incredibly easy bug to find before going live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

AngusPodgorny posted:

From what I've heard, some final bids won, which seems likely as an ex-programmer because the mistake is more subtle. My pseudo-code guess is ...

what they should have done: integer(random(#entrants))+1
what they probably did: integer(random(#entrants+1))
how to get the final bid never winning: integer(random(#entrants))

That game developers dealing with random numbers constantly would make a basic mistake like that is baffling, and that they never caught something so replicable in testing is even more baffling.

Yeah as I said right after it's probably an issue with entrants, not the actual randomisation. Simply because if it was randomisation than the nobody winning thing wouldn't happen, that there's an entrant number 0 who is winning says it's an array entry issue.

Although this would also cause weird winners, it would not allow a non-entrant dummy 0 to win.

Coding is such wonderful fun, especially when it goes wrong.