Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I'm going to try to avoid looking up endings or routes or anything until my first playthrough.

I saw some of the stuff about everything carrying over on NG+. Do enemies also scale up, or will you just steamroll everything on NG+?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Yeah I'm going to try to avoid looking up endings or routes or anything until my first playthrough.

I saw some of the stuff about everything carrying over on NG+. Do enemies also scale up, or will you just steamroll everything on NG+?

Scale up. The toughest fight in the game is probably the first fight in the game in NG+ on Hard difficulty. But you can crank up and down difficulty anytime you want.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Huxley posted:

Scale up. The toughest fight in the game is probably the first fight in the game in NG+ on Hard difficulty. But you can crank up and down difficulty anytime you want.

Awesome. I really like the idea of getting to do a second playthrough with all my levels and units from the first one and still being able to be challenged.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

To be clear, by "scale up", the enemies continue to get stronger with each battle, but they do not match your level in any capacity. So if you somehow leveled to 50 in your first play through, the enemies won't be 50 when you start NG+. Heck, you might even be a few levels behind (I was). But, I played on normal...

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, every fight has a prescribed level. You earn lots of XP for being far below that level and almost none for being over it, making it really tough to overlevel. The main game ends around level 30 and NG+ starts around 30 (and I think the level hard cap is 50).

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Yeah and then there's NG++ where everything is at level 50.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
An important thing to note is that you won't be able to get enough resources to max out every character on the first playthrough so just spend them on the characters you use most.

Also don't upgrade mage weapon damage. It doesn't increase their magic damage, only melee.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You're going to have to use Serenoa, so definitely give him a little extra priority, though.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Also don't upgrade mage weapon damage. It doesn't increase their magic damage, only melee.

I thought this wasn't definite?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Taear posted:

I thought this wasn't definite?

I mean, you can try it yourself.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Harrow posted:

Finally escaping Elden Ring's gravitational pull so I just bought this. Been looking forward to it, especially after hearing positive impressions.

Anything to know before going in? I get the feeling this is probably best experienced fairly blind story-wise for a first playthrough but I'm curious to know if there are any spoiler-light tips or pitfalls to avoid or anything like that.

The game is quite slow going at the start but it does improve later.

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is wrong, I think there's a UI issue or something IIRC but it definitely does upgrade skill damage.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Elephant Ambush posted:

An important thing to note is that you won't be able to get enough resources to max out every character on the first playthrough so just spend them on the characters you use most.

That's actually not true.

I got about a 4% damage upgrade from upgrading weapons from tier 1 to tier 2.

Anyway basic notes.

Silver is a premium weapon upgrade resource and is highly in demand. Keep one or so in stock until you're at the point of no return.

Beyond that weapon upgrades get significantly more expensive each time you upgrade on the same tier, so generally pick one upgrade you want on the tier, take it and then upgrade everyone else.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Cephas posted:

oh also, Really good game! I think it was probably my favorite tactical RPG experience since FFT. The writing was consistently intelligent and the characters acted rationally but still had human emotions. The writing felt very mature for a political fantasy war story--the strategies and turns that happen in the plot generally felt uncontrived. There are a couple times when the game takes control of things away from the player to say "this gambit is going to happen and it will succeed" like when Benedict fakes Roland's death, but for the most part they feel pretty plausible. It never feels like the writer has lost the reins on the story, which I think is a significant accomplishment for a political fantasy

I was glad they avoid the AAA political pill where every faction is a douchebag and every outcome ends in a lovely manner for who you help, there are downsides to each faction but it's not like it has its benefits either. Sure you can fight for the optimal outcome but is earned by doing your homework and not because of some magic macguffin

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Fangz posted:

The game is quite slow going at the start but it does improve later.

This is wrong, I think there's a UI issue or something IIRC but it definitely does upgrade skill damage.

Welp

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I'm coming to realize that I don't super love how your raw conviction values let you pretty much brute force all the votes in NG+. I get that it's useful as a gameplay concession to let you see the other paths more easily, but tbh I never had much trouble getting my desired outcome even the first time around, and I think the story feels better when you have one or two dissenters every once in a while even after your attempts at persuasion.

Maybe this'll change as I get further in and the expected conviction values start to catch up to what I've accumulated, idk. Mostly it just seems weird when the dialogue for the option I pick makes it sound like I hosed up, but then they vote my way anyway.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I know we have all complained that the stat boosts for class promotion were lackluster but I just got a new recruit at lv 50 and promoting them to Elite gave them massive stat boosts like 8 strength. So the job promotion stat boost seem small when they’re at a lower level but at higher levels their stats go up a ton.

Also, picking Hyzante at the end is even worse than giving up the Roselle earlier, what the gently caress game. I assume it’s only gonna get worse from here… I feel gross.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I beat this yesterday on the Peacing Out with the Roselle ending and I know it's not the "true" ending but I kinda loved it so I don't even know what I want to do with NG+. I think I will continue to ignore the conviction stats and just opt for whatever the most instinctively incorrect choice is at every juncture to see what happens.

So much of this game is crisp as hell: music, interface, graphics, narrative, and maybe most importantly, opportunities to feel cool. In Chapter XIII I had a moment where I used Milo's Moon Jump to leap OFF of the ship onto the dock to backstab a guy and it was one of the most memorably rad things I've ever done in a grid-based game.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The character you get for giving up the Roselle then visiting the village later is pretty great. If you bring both Travis and Trish to the mine cart battle they both get their special dialogue, it’s kinda… cute?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Convincing everyone to give up the Roselle is the most hosed up thing in the whole game. I’m literally sick to my stomach while I convince Frederica that it’s the only way. Ridiculous that I have to go through this just to recruit Travis but I guess it’s thematically appropriate since I’m planning to side with Hyzante for the finale :barf:

Edit: hahaha they make you fight two battles if you choose to give up the Roselle to punish you for being a huge dick. Nice!

A lot of the decisions, even if I'm leaning one way, I wonder what happens on the other path.

That is one I will never do.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I completed my third playthrough (:barf:) and thought I would change the difficulty to Hard for my golden path run. But uh… what kind of psycho designs a game where the first battle is insanely hard?! The enemies can kill me in like two hits on hard, wtf!!!

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Important Maxwell discovery I made last night: Two Birds One Stone procs when he uses a ranged healing pellet to heal multiple people; I assume attack items would work too.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Cattail Prophet posted:

Important Maxwell discovery I made last night: Two Birds One Stone procs when he uses a ranged healing pellet to heal multiple people; I assume attack items would work too.

Interesting--I'm sure that has implications for similar abilities, but I cannot think of any. Medina's skill with those items is so amazing.

I was theory-crafting how you might make use of moves I figure most people rarely use.

Like Fire Eater. I never use it. But, perhaps if you cast it on Erador and move him onto a fire tile, it'd be useful? Fire does higher proportional damage each turn than poison, so I imagine it'd heal quite a bit? The setup is a pain, since you would likely need 2-3 people (or a few turns) to set it up.

But surrounding Erador in flames and forcing all of his taunt victims to get torched is an interesting prospect.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Enemies avoid fire even if they have Fury, I think. So they’d just end up doing nothing on their turn.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

First run, doing golden route (sorry, looked it up and saw I had managed to follow it already til chap 10 so figured why not just finish it), hard mode.

The tower battle has been topped for difficulty as my firmly B team tries to fend off Hyz from eating the town. Anyone know if there's a bonus for not burning down the village this time around? I think I'll have to, as this team just doesn't have the damage output to keep up, but curious.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I managed to do that and as far as I can tell, no. Maybe the dialogue is a bit more incredulous; I haven't seen what happens if you go about it the expected way.

Boy did it take forever but feel satisfying, though, after failing to accomplish that on the regular map in my original playthrough. Also the 283 kudos I earned were a godsend for making the subsequent maps a fair bit more bearable.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ok I beat the first battle on Hard with judicious use of oil and Sunfall. I think I will be okay going forward.

Edit: you can cheat a little by letting Roland die and revive him next to the other characters.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Ok I beat the first battle on Hard with judicious use of oil and Sunfall. I think I will be okay going forward.

Edit: you can cheat a little by letting Roland die and revive him next to the other characters.

Ch. VII on hard without destroying any houses took me an insane amount of tries until I found a strat that worked

Every chapter since then, and I'm up to 12, took me anywhere from 2 to 10

Flops
Mar 28, 2010

Look at all these lovely posts!
Hey so this is an "I'm an idiot" question, but is there any possible way to get medals of bravery in a NG+? In my first playthrough I bought 3 from the kudos store but sold two leftovers since all the new recruits were showing up at the veteran level. I then went down the opposite path for Chap 3 and realized that the recruit from that chapter will always be at the recruit level, even on NG+. I'm hoping that I didn't mess up as I want to use Roland in this playthrough.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Yeah, the kudos shop will restock and you will get more as exquisite spoils in battle.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
This game has a lot of fantastic voice acting, but I think the record has to go to the dog in the golden recruit's side story. Literally just a guy going "woof! ruff!" in a not-even-Scooby-Doo voice. Ten stars.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So I picked this up after finally getting Elden Ring out of my system and it's very good. I've only done (2) battles in a couple hours of playtime but I actually really enjoy how wordy this thing's script is, and how eager they are to build the setting from the get-go.

Only thing I'm having trouble with is the archetypes my responses seemingly correspond to are completely inscrutable - no clue whether a response promotes "freedom" or "utility" or whatever, just kinda answering how I want. Will this ever bite me in the rear end Mass Effect 2-style where refusing to be anything less than a pure good/evil caricature will punish you by removing potential choices?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
your conviction points will supposedly make it easier to convince people to take your approach during the scales of conviction phases. it will also affect unit recruitment. but when i played the game, i never once lost a scales of conviction verdict, even if there were one or two folks i couldn't persuade. I think that if you do the exploration phases and get all the info you can, and make the right arguments, your conviction won't matter too much.

i think "utility" tends to be about thinking through the consequences of your actions. "morality" tends to be about being true to your principles and acting accordingly. and "freedom" tends to be about respecting other people's rights to choose for themselves.

it's not like mass effect's renegade/paragon system where the game encourages you to pick a path and stick to it. in fact the game does everything in its power to obscure the conviction mechanics so your playthrough can be more naturalistic.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Deified Data posted:

Will this ever bite me in the rear end Mass Effect 2-style where refusing to be anything less than a pure good/evil caricature will punish you by removing potential choices?

There's four ending paths and it seems like only one of them is hard-locked by your choices. The choices the 4th "perfect ending" is locked by are pretty obtuse in some ways to where you probably wouldn't stumble on all of them naturally if you are just going along making choices and not following a guide. You definitely don't always have to try and follow a certain conviction, however some characters are locked behind extremely high conviction levels and story paths so be prepared for a few NG+ runs if you're a completionist.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Okay I'll just keep winging it then and see what happens. Already the game is giving me very cozy FFT vibes. I love that they let you explore towns and enter people's houses, I always wanted that kind of thing in FFT's cozier maps.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Conviction does two things: makes it easier to sway people during the Scales of Conviction phases, and affects which optional party members you get.

Just picking the answer you like is exactly the correct way to play. No matter what you pick you'll get new party members at roughly the same rate, and all it really does is inform your friends what kind of person you are. If you've been championing Morality, your party members will be more willing to take risky actions that benefit a third party, et cetera.

My first playthrough I ended up agreeing with Frederica on every choice that came up, which meant it was easy for me to get the party on board with her ideas and hard to make them root against her.

If you get to new game+ the game strips away all the mystery and tells you exactly what your scores are, to what each dialogue choice corresponds, how to get more points, and how many points you need to get the remaining party members. You can look this up if you want, but I recommend against it, the system is set up in a way that feels organic and rewards all choices equally.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

There's four ending paths and it seems like only one of them is hard-locked by your choices. The choices the 4th "perfect ending" is locked by are pretty obtuse in some ways to where you probably wouldn't stumble on all of them naturally if you are just going along making choices and not following a guide. You definitely don't always have to try and follow a certain conviction, however some characters are locked behind extremely high conviction levels and story paths so be prepared for a few NG+ runs if you're a completionist.

It's not that obtuse, there is only one thing that the game doesn't really hint at and everyone tries to do it anyways. Everything else the game rather loudly signposts for you.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

This is a good good game with a stupid stupid name.

Boss battle on the golden route is really clever. Took multiple attempts before I realized what I could even do to get a swing in. Beaten on hard mode, and hey, managed to snag Maxwell somehow right before the last couple battles, so feeling good diving into NG+.

Do the other routes have unique boss battles at the end of em' along those same lines? I'm assuming all routes don't lead to you fighting the same old dude. Shame if that's the case.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 16, 2022

Flops
Mar 28, 2010

Look at all these lovely posts!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yeah, the kudos shop will restock and you will get more as exquisite spoils in battle.

That's good to know! I finished the C7P2 battle in the Falkes Demense and got it after the battle so thankfully the game won't screw you over for a mistake like that.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Are the mock battles at the tavern infinitely repeatable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Deified Data posted:

Are the mock battles at the tavern infinitely repeatable?

Yes. New ones even become available in NG+ and NG++.