Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Just the dumbest loving species

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
wrap it up dolphinailures

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Homeless Friend posted:

goons ambling around the wasteland with gigantic gourds at their waist, flicking their sleeves at the water beggars

New gangtag "the lords of gourds"

Morbus
May 18, 2004

IAMKOREA posted:

Man it would be great if society was a bit more community oriented and we could organize like reusing all glass containers, recycling all metal containers, and make sure that things like plastic packaging were illegal - only paper packaging, etc... Of course this communal society would need a strong central authority that could organize everything. Has anyone ever thought of anything like this before?

u could probably implement radical space communism as long as you passed it off as an HOA

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Karach posted:

My partner and I have both watched the Marketplace video where they go to Malaysia to track recycled plastic from Canada and they find out that most of it is just being piled up or burnt. Which means putting your plastic in the recycling bin is objectively worse than landfilling it locally or burning it. But I can't stop her from washing out every piece of plastic and putting it in the recycling bin. It's been drummed into us so hard that Good People Recycle.

Now here's a form of carbon sequestration I can get behind *throws all my plastic bullshit directly into the trash*

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

No you idiots, you're supposed to get a big steel barrel and burn plastic in it also you can cook rodents over the fire.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Is lack of containers the real bottleneck for humanity?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

quote:

As the clock ticks, the private sector is forging ahead with developing biotech solutions like gene editing and transgenics, which rely on genetic resources in publicly funded gene banks and naturally occurring biodiversity to provide the raw material. Just four agrochemical companies control 60% of the global seed market (and 75% of the pesticides market), and so have a vested interest in making farmers dependent on them for the full shebang.

naturally, any hint that perhaps these should be low cost or free or that the revenue be shared will be met with screeching about how the poor, poor industrial agriculture companies seeing yearly record breaking profits have to see a return for the pioneering, independent research that had nothing to do with public resources

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Morbus posted:

u could probably implement radical space communism as long as you passed it off as an HOA

Plumps
Apr 21, 2010
i will simply rediscover the ancient egyptian technique for making stone vessels and rule the wasteland over all the clay and gourd using peons.

if your vessel isn't fit for purpose five thousand years after manufacture i dont want to hear about it

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Complications posted:

naturally, any hint that perhaps these should be low cost or free or that the revenue be shared will be met with screeching about how the poor, poor industrial agriculture companies seeing yearly record breaking profits have to see a return for the pioneering, independent research that had nothing to do with public resources

Especially hilarious that the article talks about the Irish potato famine but fails to mention the fact that Ireland remained a food exporter throughout the episode. As one politician put it: "Nature created the blight, but man created the famine." This has also been true in parts of Africa suffering from famine.

Number must go up! All hail the profit!

:thermidor:

I went to a seminar that featured Dan Jason, the owner of the Salt Spring Seeds company. They're a bit unusual for a seed house in that they don't seem to farm their seed production out to producers in the southern hemisphere. Very old world hippy in their approach. He mentioned that small subsistence farmers in places like Ethiopia will plant a half dozen varieties of something like wheat every season, from varieties developed and saved locally. A particular variety might do well during cool summers while another variety does better in excess heat, providing a buffer against total crop failure if the weather doesn't cooperate.

Obviously not a thing for the Canadian Durham wheat crop, given the face plant it did last year. I'm wondering what's going to happen to southern Alberta - it wasn't suitable for agriculture until the early 1900s when the right wheat variety was developed and extensive irrigation systems built. Ah well, I'm sure all the R&D they're funding with dilBit will save them (and us).

I've been reading old soil reports from the 50s through 80s for southern Vancouver Island. We have some good soil on the SE Vancouver Island lowlands but I hadn't really appreciated the drying effect of the glacier deposited gravel beds they're sitting on. This has always created a problem for agriculture in late summer and I guess is a contributing factor to the serious tree die-offs from summer drought the last 10 years. Expanding the summer drought period is not a happy thought.

We are so hosed. :rubby:

I'm a west coaster, so my vessels of choice will be bentwood cedar boxes and cured seal bladders. I wonder if there will be a market for sex toy gourds?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Samuel Glompers posted:

Just the dumbest loving species

Honestly if any species deserves it it's dolphins, they do the same thing to each other

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i'm willing to bet some of those lone wolf serial murderer-rapist dolphins went crazy because they watched their whole pod die in a fishing net or something. I would also probably get pretty homicidal if there were radar pings and ship engines bouncing sound waves all over loving everything and directly into my earholes at all times as my habitat got more and more inundated with plastic, trash, unrefined oil, and toxic chemicals.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Hexigrammus posted:

I'm a west coaster, so my vessels of choice will be bentwood cedar boxes and cured seal bladders. I wonder if there will be a market for sex toy gourds?

Always_has_been.jpg

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

God Hole posted:

i'm willing to bet some of those lone wolf serial murderer-rapist dolphins went crazy because they watched their whole pod die in a fishing net or something. I would also probably get pretty homicidal if there were radar pings and ship engines bouncing sound waves all over loving everything and directly into my earholes at all times as my habitat got more and more inundated with plastic, trash, unrefined oil, and toxic chemicals.

Frame that thought of mankind becoming an objective enemy of.natural balanced life with our increasing rates of mental health crises and general societal failures. We are connected to this world.. We are a marvel and could be nature's most powerful advocate if we correct.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

The plastic industry made the same play years before, it's how we got the crying Indian on the side of the road commercial. Guy was actually Italian. Anyway it shifted the perception of plastic litter to be the responsibility of individuals rather than the petrochemical companies creating massive amounts of nonbiodegradable garbage.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

God Hole posted:

I would also probably get pretty homicidal if there were radar pings and ship engines bouncing sound waves all over loving everything and directly into my earholes at all times as my habitat got more and more inundated with plastic, trash, unrefined oil, and toxic chemicals.

I mean, essentially the land equivalent is in fact true for you

munce
Oct 23, 2010

https://paulbeckwith.net/2022/04/15/huge-atmospheric-rivers-triggered-collapse-of-antarctic-peninsula-ice-shelves-larsen-a-and-larsen-b/

quote:

Atmospheric Rivers Triggered Collapse of Antarctic Peninsula Ice Shelves Larsen A and Larsen B
Now, this new paper I discuss shows that ARs are responsible for over 60% of large ice sheet calving events in the last two decades since they:
—bring extremely warm temperatures to the ice sheets
—cause extensive surface melt, followed by ice fracturing via hydrofracking forcing
—remove significant sea-ice in the proximity of the ice shelves
—cause large ocean swells to destabilize the ice shelves
–Basically, Atmospheric Rivers are hammering the glacial ice in both the Arctic and Antarctic, greatly increasing ice calving and melt losses.

Rapid collapse of polar ice caused by rain transported by atmospheric rivers seems to be happening, potentially leading to large near term sea level rise.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Hexigrammus posted:

Especially hilarious that the article talks about the Irish potato famine but fails to mention the fact that Ireland remained a food exporter throughout the episode. As one politician put it: "Nature created the blight, but man created the famine." This has also been true in parts of Africa suffering from famine.

Number must go up! All hail the profit!

:thermidor:

I went to a seminar that featured Dan Jason, the owner of the Salt Spring Seeds company. They're a bit unusual for a seed house in that they don't seem to farm their seed production out to producers in the southern hemisphere. Very old world hippy in their approach. He mentioned that small subsistence farmers in places like Ethiopia will plant a half dozen varieties of something like wheat every season, from varieties developed and saved locally. A particular variety might do well during cool summers while another variety does better in excess heat, providing a buffer against total crop failure if the weather doesn't cooperate.

This is actually a really big deal. We are putting more and more of our ability to produce grain in the hands of huge vertically integrated corps like Cargill and Bayer, while defunding and stripping away legal protections from those who do public spirited research, like developing non patented crop varieties. Which means there is an ever-diminishing number of grain cultivars for farmers to choose from. Pair that with a grain handling system that demands that crops like wheat conform visually with specific standards, and it's a recipe for disaster: we've ensured that our food system lacks resilience. A crop disease which strikes in Alberta will soon spread to Manitoba, because the farmers are growing the same cultivars in both provinces. There's a similar story in vegetable farming too: there aren't that many varieties to choose from commercially, due to corporate control of seed production, as well as the time consuming nature of seed saving at the commercial scale.

We need farmers to be developing landrace varieties of crop suited to local conditions, especially as the climate becomes more extreme. We're going in the opposite direction instead.

If you garden, start seed saving from your heirloom crops.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
That can video :eyepop:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Cloks posted:

went to the shores of lake erie today and everywhere i looked, plastic waste on the beach

:(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-S3G1c31y0

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I mean, essentially the land equivalent is in fact true for you

so it's the ultimate deserving fate of all life on earth to be tortured to death by spring breakers

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 10 days!)

the dolphin thing is extremely sad. creatures dying for any reason is dreadful, but there's something particularly disturbing about it when they're not killed out of malice or necessity but by a bunch of stupid humans getting so excited about seeing an animal that they lose all their empathy and common sense. (this often happens with baby animals in particular.)

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://www.iema.net/articles/sir-david-kings-offers-a-final-warning

quote:

“The main message is that, unless we make the transitions necessary, we are going to lose what we understand by our civilisation over the coming decades,” he says. “If sea levels continue to rise, the map of the world will be dramatically changed, because 80% of our cities sit on coastlines – so we’re going to see a massive transformation. I’m not saying it’s the end of humanity, but it’s certainly the end of humanity as we know it.”
Good, good...

quote:

“The strength of the lobby system in the US political system is simply amazing. It’s undemocratic and, quite frankly, the fossil fuel companies – led by the coal industry in particular – have been feeding the propaganda against climate change, and they’ve been doing it very effectively, with billions of dollars,” he says. “Biden is showing us a way forward, and I know John Kerry well and admire his position on climate change, but they are still constrained by their Senate and Congress. They’ve got a tiny majority, and because some Democrats are likely to vote against real climate action, I’m not sure that leadership is there in place yet.”

He draws comparisons with China. “Even though its emissions are rising due to its growing economy, its use of fossil fuels as a percentage of total electricity production has dropped from 75% just 15 years ago to around 56% today. The US can’t claim anything like the effort that China has put in.”
You'd think the elderly of all people would be willing to fully embrace the decay, considering they won't be around to see it. Maybe they're guilty over their wasted, predatory lives and have to end with some kind of hopeful declaration?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

T-Paine posted:

https://www.iema.net/articles/sir-david-kings-offers-a-final-warning

Good, good...

You'd think the elderly of all people would be willing to fully embrace the decay, considering they won't be around to see it. Maybe they're guilty over their wasted, predatory lives and have to end with some kind of hopeful declaration?

lol at giving Joe Biden any credit for anything while his administration actively crushes any chance at meaningful climate policy

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

munce posted:

https://paulbeckwith.net/2022/04/15/huge-atmospheric-rivers-triggered-collapse-of-antarctic-peninsula-ice-shelves-larsen-a-and-larsen-b/

Rapid collapse of polar ice caused by rain transported by atmospheric rivers seems to be happening, potentially leading to large near term sea level rise.

I know science and when it gets 1.5c hotter over the next 78 years the ice will slowly melt to increase the sea levels gradually

temperature and ice. we need low temperature to save ice.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

God Hole posted:

thankfully not all of our plastic goes to Malaysian villages to be burnt: a bunch of it ends up in the ocean on the way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r7_SFdSdE4

this is why you do not use a soda can to smoke weed

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhcKuMjvcCk

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ydDNU3-ay8

Lol sweet I didn't know it demands literally no new fossil fuel infrastructure whatsoever.

"We can do this we just need to force governments and companies into action"

But number goes down slightly so welp, we're p much hosed. Also that's p much a great way to get assassinated, injuring number on purpose is far worse than being an incompetent business doer who fucks up number accidentally.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
It's complete lunacy to think that some minor examples like the Ozone later or green tech getting cheaper provides any kind of glimmer of hope that we'll instate the substantive systemwide changes needed to even mitigate the coming apocalypse

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

T-Paine posted:

“Biden is showing us a way forward, and I know John Kerry well and admire his position on climate change, but they are still constrained by their Senate and Congress. They’ve got a tiny majority, and because some Democrats are likely to vote against real climate action, I’m not sure that leadership is there in place yet.”

Who the hell is this idiot and do his handlers know he has escaped from the hospital? It is unfathomable to me that someone would sincerely claim biden is "showing us a way forward" or praise john kerry.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

the dolphin thing is extremely sad. creatures dying for any reason is dreadful, but there's something particularly disturbing about it when they're not killed out of malice or necessity but by a bunch of stupid humans getting so excited about seeing an animal that they lose all their empathy and common sense. (this often happens with baby animals in particular.)

i remember being exited and happy as a small child finding a nest full of baby birds

i pet them and even held one before putting it back and running home to tell my mom about them

she told me that mother birds will abandon a baby bird if it was handled by a human (or something similar)

i cried all day. still dunno if what she said was true or not, but ive left baby birds alone ever since

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
it's been a moment but maybe we should reflect

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/sep/27/rare-white-stag-killed-by-police-after-running-through-merseyside-streets

we replaced slippery lead with slippery plastic

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
caveat deer are a menace and a hazard where i live but seeing them reclaim streets and migrate during lockdown is a thing of beauty

drive slower

or not at all

face reality

plant a lovely garden and yourself beside it

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Raine posted:

i remember being exited and happy as a small child finding a nest full of baby birds

i pet them and even held one before putting it back and running home to tell my mom about them

she told me that mother birds will abandon a baby bird if it was handled by a human (or something similar)

i cried all day. still dunno if what she said was true or not, but ive left baby birds alone ever since

It's a myth that they'll smell humans on them. In fact I believe most birds barely have a sense of smell. If it's a naked one, put it back in the nest. If it's got feathers it's a fledgling and should be able to get back - but if it's in a stupid or exposed place you can move it somewhere safer.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's a myth that they'll smell humans on them. In fact I believe most birds barely have a sense of smell. If it's a naked one, put it back in the nest. If it's got feathers it's a fledgling and should be able to get back - but if it's in a stupid or exposed place you can move it somewhere safer.

next you'll be telling us lemmings don't migrate to the fjords

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

the frog under my water pot has multiplied into two frogs of the same species :getin:

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Strom Cuzewon posted:

thank you. i will now pet every bird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Raine posted:

that puts your common sense so far above the average child's (and adult's), you have no idea :unsmith:

as other posters said, the adult birds continue to love the chick even if it's been touched by a human, so you didn't harm the baby and they probably went on to have a long and happy life.