Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It perplexes me that they added the ramps at all, given how Mithrix totally shits the bed the moment you get onto one. They're the only terrain in the arena for most of the fight, did none of the playtesters ever notice that he completely breaks when you step on one? Did they know, but just decide that it was fine how it was??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
There was a good six months where captain and engineer literally could not leave after the mithrix fight without dying. There was a big fall to leave the fight and it was impossible to go down it without a hoppoo feather, a lucky roll with a teddy bear, or a red item (head stomper). So, idk hard to say about playtesting.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Pretty sure the Mithrix arena always had the teleporter things.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Pretty sure the Mithrix arena always had the teleporter things.

Nah, it just opened up before the remake and you could jump down and haul rear end across the map.

No Wave posted:

There was a good six months where captain and engineer literally could not leave after the mithrix fight without dying. There was a big fall to leave the fight and it was impossible to go down it without a hoppoo feather, a lucky roll with a teddy bear, or a red item (head stomper). So, idk hard to say about playtesting.

Fall damage cannot be lethal unless you enable an artifact doing so.

That being said, yeah the moon is kinda tedious. It wouldn't be as bad if it wasn't so slow to go through, despite of your build. A loop 2+ character has to spend a similar amount of time as a loop 0 character, and that is just not fun. I guess you can loop until you reach that critical mass and just skip to the fight, but it isn't always viable in multiplayer, where everyone's build will be different. Unless someone gets the Quantum Tunnel Bottle so everyone can skip right to the end.
Eh I dunno, at least now the game has 3(4) objectives you can go for as the "ending" and they all have their ups and downs, so it's not like the ending is always poo poo.

What is always poo poo is loving Collapse. It sucks so bad on enemies I don't believe it was unchanged. The worst part about it is the fact that it varies in damage depending on the enemy that put it on you. 1 Collapse from a Wisp and you live but one Collapse from a Beetle Guard and you just die. And at the later stage of the game you don't get to see what applied it to you so you just die to bullshit and curse the game. Sucks so bad.

I would also like for the game to add some sort of elemental or pierce mechanic so I can deal with shielded assholes and Perfected enemies easier. It's one thing to slowly grind down a Celestial or Malachite enemy, but having to grind down an Overloading or Perfected one, without breaking because they will regenerate to full is another pain in the rear end. Even if they don't get as much of a health boost.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I forgot it was an eclipse 3+ issue.... that makes a lot more sense.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Kikas posted:

What is always poo poo is loving Collapse. It sucks so bad on enemies I don't believe it was unchanged. The worst part about it is the fact that it varies in damage depending on the enemy that put it on you. 1 Collapse from a Wisp and you live but one Collapse from a Beetle Guard and you just die. And at the later stage of the game you don't get to see what applied it to you so you just die to bullshit and curse the game. Sucks so bad.

The problem with collapse is that it works off of the enemy's base damage, the same way it works for survivors. So it doesn't matter if you took a full slam or just got tickled by a tiny attack, they collapse for the same amount. And yeah, that seems like a mistake. The enemy version should probably be reworked with an entirely separate calculation.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Collapse chat is reminding me once again that Ben's Raincoat is simultaneously one of the best legendary items in the game and also the most boring.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Shere posted:

Collapse chat is reminding me once again that Ben's Raincoat is simultaneously one of the best legendary items in the game and also the most boring.

I love to get one, but I hate to see two. Wish they could have figured out something slightly more interesting for a stacking bonus than just a flat HP boost.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Anyone else messing around in Simulacrum mode noticed that they're still getting empty stages since the patch? For me it's happened multiple times whenever it picks Abyssal Depths. It's like the directors all fail and nothing happens. No enemies, not even any chests or other interactables. I tried letting it play out to the last empty wave, but even then the portal for the next stage won't spawn, so it's a soft lock.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Collapse is so stupid. By far this game's biggest problem has been going from 100 to 0 in half a second with little recourse and Collapse just exacerbates this.

Why yes, I just got killed by my own squid turret.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I will say now that I have a bunch of rounds of the expansion in the bags I can see complaints from people just starting out. The game is a lot harder than it was especially since they added more types of enemies that collapse when they die (they really need to change drone AI so they run away when this happens). The Xi Construct is harder than most of the normal bosses and you can get one pretty early on.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

The Void Reavers definitely seem to be spawning a lot earlier and more frequently now. And the expansion added one with a slow moving projectile thing that does the same thing. Really doesn't feel great to get caught in.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yeah Jailers are a death sentence for Artificer with no unlocks, there literally is no escape.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kikas posted:

Yeah Jailers are a death sentence for Artificer with no unlocks, there literally is no escape.

I had a Captain run that like 99 percent of the time would've ended up as a god run pre-expansion and got owned by one of those guys.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I have been jamming this game a whole lot and am pretty reliably breaking it over my knee on Monsoon. it's maybe my favorite FPS ever, at least since Goldeneye, to play with a group of friends.
I cannot recommend enough going into the text files and giving yourself all the unlocks--once I did this I went from almost uninstalling to having tons of fun. it's also fun to spend a few runs with max lunar coins fishing for gestures of the drowned. last night I did 130 million damage on Mul-T!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I honestly love the new Void enemies for godly runs where you basically stop taking damage because they're genuinely threatening and keep the game interesting, but Void Elites can go gently caress themselves forever for how early they can show up and Void Seeds need to ramp up in intensity and coverage instead of denying 1/10th of the stage (or more, if multiple spawn) on the second level.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Just popped a void chest and died to my own squid turret I forgot I had because it got corrupted. Never had the illusion of being on a good run destroyed quite like that before.

A humbling experience.

EDIT: Breaking voids need a better mission than just searching the map and killing purple dudes. They float everywhere and it takes loving ages if there's more than one.
Wish they had more requirements on positioning as well. I lost a run the other day on stage 2 because I spawned inside a void next to a voided out stone golem. Dude one shot me but even if he didn't I lost so much health just dropping in I probably couldn't crawl out in time.

ErKeL fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 17, 2022

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

It really sucks how the expansion basically dumpstered two existing items into total uselessness (repulsion plate and squid turret).

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

My pet peeve is the DLC broke the ability to delete cloud profiles. I tried a bunch of poo poo to force them to delete and now I have a bunch of profiles that are corrupt that I still can't delete.

Vooze
Oct 29, 2011

Kith posted:

It really sucks how the expansion basically dumpstered two existing items into total uselessness (repulsion plate and squid turret).

Haven't squid turrets always been terrible? I avoided that cheevo for like two years.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Squid Polyps were one of the worst items in the game even before they could be mind controlled to shoot the player, yes. The thing is that they were a harmless filler item before, an intermediate step to a green scrap.

Now they are just an outright liability to be avoided at virtually all costs.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I will say now that I have a bunch of rounds of the expansion in the bags I can see complaints from people just starting out. The game is a lot harder than it was especially since they added more types of enemies that collapse when they die (they really need to change drone AI so they run away when this happens). The Xi Construct is harder than most of the normal bosses and you can get one pretty early on.

The Xi Construct is definitely overtuned, but otherwise I'm still undecided. Like, I do think the average difficulty went up, but also a lot of the new items are crazy strong. I think the biggest underlying issue is that a lot of subtle balance points aren't quite right. Like how the stupid void capsules eat into your credit budget so you can get void seed(s) with a whopping single void cradle and a million capsules, etc. Basically if the game gives you an appropriate amount of cool poo poo to work with, the difficulty curve flattens right out, but if you get screwed on stage generation (to say nothing of luck) you just get squashed. See also, my previous complaints about busted enemy spawns and possible dilution of the item pools.

Kith posted:

Idgi, what's wrong with repulsion plate?

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Used to reduce void fog damage.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Squid turrets being corrupted may be unintended. Last patch changed the mechanic that could corrupt your drones, so maybe they just forgot about the squids. I've also noticed that the goo clone from that one equipment can get corrupted. I found this out on a railgunner run when one got summoned by that chaos bottle item, ate a void corrupter, and promptly flipped around to headshot me to death. :hellyeah:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

John Murdoch posted:

As Vonnie mentioned, they used to reduce Void Fog damage. They were effectively an additional path to get through to the Void Fields so you could risk getting your rear end kicked for items earlier. Now that they don't, early Void Fields are all but out of the question - it's extremely unlikely that you'll have enough mobility or sustain to make it through until you've got several stages under your belt, and by then you're probably powerful enough to do the Void Fields without any trouble.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

BobTheJanitor posted:

Squid turrets being corrupted may be unintended. Last patch changed the mechanic that could corrupt your drones, so maybe they just forgot about the squids. I've also noticed that the goo clone from that one equipment can get corrupted. I found this out on a railgunner run when one got summoned by that chaos bottle item, ate a void corrupter, and promptly flipped around to headshot me to death. :hellyeah:
it was called out on their twitter that they can still infect squid polyps so it seems intentional, just another really silly decision to nerf an item people already didn't use

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I never really get hopoo's balancing decisions. It's not even like they consistently punish or reward certain playstyles, things seem to be just occasionally useless with no rhyme or reason

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Kith posted:

As Vonnie mentioned, they used to reduce Void Fog damage. They were effectively an additional path to get through to the Void Fields so you could risk getting your rear end kicked for items earlier. Now that they don't, early Void Fields are all but out of the question - it's extremely unlikely that you'll have enough mobility or sustain to make it through until you've got several stages under your belt, and by then you're probably powerful enough to do the Void Fields without any trouble.

i dunno, even with a mid-late game setup, void fields can spawn stuff that will just kick your rear end. and now that time ticks in there it just doesnt seem worth it

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Last night I had a happy mask rez a clay dunestrider who promptly gave everyone in my group The Succ as we weren't paying attention waiting for the TP and ended a great run real early. Had no idea that could happen and I had already gotten 3 red and a yellow item by stage 3.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I had a run end last night because I had no idea how strong Col. Droneman is (I had two and at least a half dozen drones) and they set off a nearby Grandparent’s low HP AOE burn and I wasn’t close enough to burn it down myself.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
void fields isn't worth it at all anymore for the time and risk. repulsion plate still gets good mileage at reducing beams and other dots. it's also worth more on eclipse 8

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Void Fields is now the way to do the 3rd/4th ending for free-ish. Nothing else.

Nothing mods can't fix tho.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Void fields are useless except when playing with sacrifice on. In that case all you need is decent healing and at least one razorwire, and you can jump around in the void fog getting endless loot. The void fog there (at least currently) doesn't have the ramping damage that the fog in void seeds or simulacrum uses, so as long as you can outheal the steady tick damage you can just live there until you get bored with stacking items.

But sacrifice is kind of a gimmick artifact that makes everything way easier anyway, so it's not exactly that interesting of an application.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Voxx posted:

repulsion plate still gets good mileage at reducing beams and other dots. it's also worth more on eclipse 8

Yeah this is why I was confused. Armor is just...good, not just as an anti-void fields measure. Obviously its relative value drops over the course of a long run, but early on being able to shrug off stuff you can't otherwise dodge or sustain through is a big life saver.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
the plates being applied after armor is very good. also shout out to opal and safer spaces for being some of the biggest defensive power spikes from the expansion

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
If you want to easily grab the "30 weak point in a row" alternate secondary for the rail gunner, repulsion plate + artifact of kin + restarting until you get all wisps makes it very easy.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Kikas posted:

Void Fields is now the way to do the 3rd/4th ending for free-ish. Nothing else.

Nothing mods can't fix tho.

This is what I thought too, until I started ignoring the void fields and realized that a portal directly to the boss at the end of the void fields shows up if you start looping, I usually see it around stage 8-10. I got both it and the celestial portal once. Now my opinion is why waste time with the void fields?

rarbatrol posted:

If you want to easily grab the "30 weak point in a row" alternate secondary for the rail gunner, repulsion plate + artifact of kin + restarting until you get all wisps makes it very easy.

I do also recommend artifact of kin for the 30 in a row, but it's pretty easy without the plate, and you can do it with a number of different enemies. Stone golems are easy too, they don't move much and they're stationary when spawning in.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

A lot of enemies are pretty easy takedowns for railgunner. Wisps, beetles, golems, jellyfish, contraptions, etc. Basically anything that doesn't move too much. Lemurians I've found to be surprisingly frustrating. I never noticed it with any other survivor, but they just love to jerk back and forth constantly. I've lined up so many perfect shots on them only to watch them twitch out of the way the instant I click.

Also, the weak points on the wandering vagrant are really stupid. Their tentacles move almost constantly, and spend half the fight clipped through the ground. And while gameplay is more important than realism, I mean come on what species would have their most vital organs at the end of long manipulator appendages? I usually just spam body shots on them, because it ends up being way more average DPS over trying and failing to line up weakpoint hits.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

BobTheJanitor posted:

And while gameplay is more important than realism, I mean come on what species would have their most vital organs at the end of long ... appendages?

have you heard of men, perhaps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

BobTheJanitor posted:

A lot of enemies are pretty easy takedowns for railgunner. Wisps, beetles, golems, jellyfish, contraptions, etc. Basically anything that doesn't move too much. Lemurians I've found to be surprisingly frustrating. I never noticed it with any other survivor, but they just love to jerk back and forth constantly. I've lined up so many perfect shots on them only to watch them twitch out of the way the instant I click.

Also, the weak points on the wandering vagrant are really stupid. Their tentacles move almost constantly, and spend half the fight clipped through the ground. And while gameplay is more important than realism, I mean come on what species would have their most vital organs at the end of long manipulator appendages? I usually just spam body shots on them, because it ends up being way more average DPS over trying and failing to line up weakpoint hits.

But then on the other hand, they somtimes line up, so you can go for the supercharged blast on 2-3 weak points at once, and that damage stacks.
Bascially delete Vargant.