Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

therattle posted:

I’ve always said that comedic actors can play straight because that’s part of comic acting, whereas straight actors can’t always do comedy because comedy involved a whole extra set of skills which straight actors often don’t have. Ergo comedy actors can often be better, more versatile and have a wider range than straight actors.

Heh

"Is he, you know... a comedian"

Hollywood Superstar Caught With His Pants Around His Ankles In Slapstick Sting
he has consistently denied rumours about his personal life despite driving a tiny car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
My only experience of catching the bus in London was to jump on the middle door, not pay, then jump off a few stops later. Isn't that what everyone does?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Scottish Tory election poster.

Featuring former leader.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
One of the things I find most depressing, and I know it's a small thing, is that as a practicing designer who got his start in graphic design there is some oval office in my profession sitting there and churning this stuff out. Stuff like that ScotCon nonsense and Priti Patel's loving announcement banner. Someone is sitting there at a screen with Photoshop and Illustrator and they're putting this poo poo out into the world.

e: also we should find a good portmanteau for the that Scottish Conservative and UNionisT party. ScotC... Un... oh I just can't find it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

therattle posted:

I’ve always said that comedic actors can play straight because that’s part of comic acting, whereas straight actors can’t always do comedy because comedy involved a whole extra set of skills which straight actors often don’t have. Ergo comedy actors can often be better, more versatile and have a wider range than straight actors.

For me it's the opposite, straight actors are almost always funnier than comic ones (with the exception of outright clowning) because at least in good comedy the characters don't know what they're doing is funny. For a textbook example, look at Leslie Nelsen since Airplane, he only got less and less funny as he tried harder and harder to be funny.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

For me it's the opposite, straight actors are almost always funnier than comic ones (with the exception of outright clowning) because at least in good comedy the characters don't know what they're doing is funny. For a textbook example, look at Leslie Nelsen since Airplane, he only got less and less funny as he tried harder and harder to be funny.

Depends on the nature of the character as a comic presence, of course. A joker/trickster on a mission to liven the world up can absolutely be as much fun as they're trying to be, provided their actor has the chops to sell them.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The reason public transport is so poo poo in not-London is you all insist on being able to pay for a bus ride with groats and cats teeth, and on having a half-hour long conversation with the driver as you get off.

I think this might not in fact be the reason

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
if not-london wants the same investment as london it can try being london instead of not-london

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Why does the rest of England not simply use a tube network to get around?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

if not-london wants the same investment as london it can try being london instead of not-london

Rename London to Mega City 1

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
We need worm hole tech.
That poo poo would solve 90% of the world's problems instantly.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
For a good recent example check out Severance, which is mostly comedic actors who all knock it out of the park

I mean, just watch it anyway, it's phenomenal

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

That loving Sned posted:

Its Brit-Cit in the comics.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

happyhippy posted:

We need worm hole tech.
That poo poo would solve 90% of the world's problems instantly.

Ukraine thinks about the prospect of the Russian army using wormholes to avoid the mud and disagrees with this statement.

Then again if the Russians just spent billions and only got a cardboard box with two glue on buttons with the words "Wyrm Whole" on it, maybe things would be the same.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

That loving Sned posted:

build 100-storey high density apartment blocks everywhere within the m25 and move everyone into london to avail themselves of public transport and other amenities. then leave the rest of the island to rewild itself.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's a growing body of research showing that kind of living, in academic terms, does your loving head in unless combined with serious pollution reduction and the political imagination to build communities around better things than ethnic or sectarian matters.

Probably a good idea to work on those first before everyone goes into the mega blocks rather than after.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

kecske posted:

build 100-storey high density apartment blocks everywhere within the m25 and move everyone into london to avail themselves of public transport and other amenities. then leave the rest of the island to rewild itself.

It wouldn't actually have to be *that* mega. The GLA area is 1600 km2, give or take, and Islington and Tower Hamlets both have a population density of around 16,000 people per km2, so that alone would be 25 million people at what's actually a fairly livable density - both boroughs have some nice big parks and the majority of their housing is low- to mid-rise.

As of the last published census in 2011 (which excludes almost all of the high-density development in north Millwall (I'll be cold in the grave before I calls it Canary Wharf, but having the M-word in there isn't ideal either)) and Blackwall And Cubitt Town wards, the densest-populated ward in Tower Hamlets was Shadwell, with 22,400 per km2, dense enough to fit 36 million into London. What does this sort of high-density hell look like?

In fact there are only 8 high-rise buildings in the entire ward - although admittedly the reason why it has quite such a high density is that it's the only ward in TH that doesn't have a decent-sized park, it has very few non-residential properties, and the vast majority of the stock is pre-war mansions which are *tiny* (and very overcrowded).

To get 60 million people to stop worrying and love the Oyster Card we'd need a population density of 37,500 per km2. But of course that's if we convert *everything* into housing, leaving no space for offices or other commercial space, let along parks and leisure. What about if we go Sim City on this and have one square for housing, one for commercial, and one for industrial leisure? Well that would need a population density of an eye-watering 112,500 per km2. Surely nowhere in the world has a population density that high? Well in fact a few places do - bits of Hong Kong, Tokyo, and several Chinese cities - but we actually have a much closer-to-home example, the romantically-named Tower Hamlets 032D which has an *estimated* current population density of 106716 per km2.

So what does this look like from ground level?

https://twitter.com/CouncilCulture/status/1436289376917540882

poo poo architecture aside, you wouldn't actually believe it was the densest area in London by quite a distance - there's only one >10 storey building, the Carbuncle Cup-winning Lincoln Plaza, and there's even a teeny tiny green area. The adjoining areas are as densely-populated in real terms but lose out because the Millwall Docks are included in their area which are populated mainly by people who'd took diabolical liberties, locked in the boots of Jags.

Weirdly enough, considering where we started this conversation, it's also the only LSOA in Tower Hamlets that has literally zero public transport - South Quay and Crossharbour DLR, and the bus stops of Westferry Road and the main terminus at the Asda about five minutes away.

(Just for clarity because some people seem not to get this when I start LBTH-posting - I'm not actually saying this is a desirable state of affairs, just that it's a *possible* one)

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Oh hey, my MP got back to me after I wrote him a big email ages ago demanding to know what we're going to do to help refugees from Ukraine. The answer? Not much, but I do wish the rhetoric here was the public Labour stance.

Clive Betts posted:

Dear Mebh

Thank you for your email.

Vladimir Putin’s attack on Ukraine is an unprovoked, unjustifiable outrage and a heinous violation of international law that will have tragic consequences. It is a heinous violation of international law that breaks multiple treaties and commitments, including the fundamental principles of the UN Charter. The Labour Party stands with our allies and partners in condemning it in the strongest possible terms, and we must maintain and strengthen our unity and resolve. We stand in complete solidarity with the Ukrainian people as they bravely resist this assault.

We must now match our rhetoric with action. The hardest possible sanctions must be taken against all those linked to Putin and against the Russian government’s interests, working in a coordinated and unified way with our allies to ensure the Putin regime faces the severest possible consequences. Russia must be cut out of the Western economic system.

This must include extricating the influence of corrupt Russian money from the UK. Despite warning after warning, the Government has been asleep at the wheel and failed to act, leaving Britain as the destination of choice for kleptocrats who hide their wealth under our noses The moves to finally clampdown on dirty money, repeatedly demanded by Labour for years, are long overdue. It is regrettable that it took so long, and the invasion of a sovereign state, for the government to act. We must ensure these steps finally expunge corrupt Russian money from the UK.

Moreover, the UK must also play its part in offering protection to those fleeing a war zone and must make sure that people can reach family and friends in a desperate time. That is currently not happening.

The Government have failed to plan for this crisis, even though British intelligence have been warning about likelihood of invasion for many weeks. The Home Office has also been trying throughout to respond to this crisis through the existing visa system, with just limited changes. That is wrong and fails to recognise the gravity of the crisis or the urgency of the situation. It has led to the shameful situation of family members fleeing war in Europe being asked for their finances or their English language skills, elderly parents being turned away in Paris, and Ministers even suggesting that Ukrainians should use the Seasonal Agricultural Workers Visa to come to the UK.

Labour has called from the start for the Government to set out a clear, simple route to sanctuary in the UK for people fleeing Ukraine. So far, our pressure has forced the Government to make a number of changes to their approach, but there is a huge gap between their rhetoric and the reality which means we do not believe much needed sanctuary will be delivered in practice, and a new approach is needed.

We are calling on the government to urgently introduce a simple Emergency Protection Visa for all those fleeing Ukraine who want to reach the UK. This would provide a quick, simple and safe route to sanctuary for all who need it – going beyond the current family provisions and ensuring that those fleeing war are not forced to apply through standard visa channels. It would allow people to work and access public services. It would also lift normal visa conditions other than biometrics and security checks which can be swiftly done on route. And it means the Government also has the information to coordinate support particularly for children arriving in the country. As you may be aware the Refugee Council have been calling for an emergency humanitarian visa, and this follows that same approach.

More broadly, we have consistently pressed the Home Secretary to urgently set out a safe sanctuary route - one that supports those Ukrainians fleeing conflict who wish to come to the UK to reach safety. We know that most people will continue to want to stay in neighbouring countries close to other family and home, but the UK must also play our part in helping get people to safety and support.

Thank you again for writing to me to express your views on this matter, and I hope this has helped to outline my position to you. However, if you have any further comments or concerns regarding this or any other matter, please do feel free to email me once more.

Kind Regards,
Clive Betts MP

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I miss living in a city with good public transport. London was not my favourite place in many respects but the tube is magical and really not that expensive if you use contactless and you guys do not know how good you have it compared to most British cities.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The reason London boroughs have such a high population density isn't because people are living in high rises, it's because bedrooms (and living rooms converted into bedrooms) in the low rise houses are rented out separately.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

By the same logic, there's a big difference between ex council high rises crammed with tiny flats and some of the huge glass monstrosities with spacious multi floor apartments for oil tycoons to launder money via property sales occasionally murder hookers [error: purpose not found]

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

you guys do not know how good you have it compared to most British cities.

Wouldn't be too sure, your average young Londoner wasn't born here.

Edit: using the very inclusive definition of young that includes my freshly 45 year old self, even!

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 16, 2022

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

this is a local shop mass transit system for local people

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
strangely enough people who live in London do sometimes actually go to places that aren't London

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

And they are generally unbearable about how much better London is.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

strangely enough people who live in London do sometimes actually go to places that aren't London

Only inside a casket of thames mud.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

And they are generally unbearable about how much better London is.

I love being out of London until I have to travel anywhere that isn't next to a train station.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

Mebh posted:

Oh hey, my MP got back to me after I wrote him a big email ages ago demanding to know what we're going to do to help refugees from Ukraine. The answer? Not much, but I do wish the rhetoric here was the public Labour stance.

Seeing this gave me a thought:

Has anyone put it to the Tories, that if shipping asylum seekers to Rwanda is the loveliest thing we can do for them: will they be sending Ukrainian refugees there as well? Or do they recognise that it's a hosed up thing to do to anyone?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

Wouldn't be too sure, your average young Londoner wasn't born here.

Edit: using the very inclusive definition of young that includes my freshly 45 year old self, even!

Same as it ever was, really - apart from the between-war years London has always been reliant on incomers to keep the population even stable, let alone growing. Mind you I think that's the case for just about any big city anywhere in the world, for public health reasons until the 19th/20th century and for suburban reasons afterwards. Yes, I'm calling Surbiton the modern-day cholera.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

That loving Sned posted:

When I went up to London the other day for the first time in four or so years, the entire stretch alongside the railway between Battersea and Vauxhall - endless new glass 'n' cladding high-rises crammed so close together people on one building's balconies could easily talk to someone the next block over, with the US embassy lurking behind them - was only missing some Chopper graffiti and a Manta tank or two for that full dystopian vibe.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Once been to London once, and that was on the tube omw to Oxford for a job interview.
loving place was full of Londoners! Couldn't believe it.
Something should be done about that.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
In the opposite of london and trains, I drove 20 km along a muddy forest road that looked a lot like those muddy roads russian tanks got trapped in last night. Could go like 30 kph at most. Spring and frost heaving is really bad on gravel roads.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Mourning Due posted:

Seeing this gave me a thought:

Has anyone put it to the Tories, that if shipping asylum seekers to Rwanda is the loveliest thing we can do for them: will they be sending Ukrainian refugees there as well? Or do they recognise that it's a hosed up thing to do to anyone?

No, you see the Ukrainian refugees are generally women, and therefore we can force them to stay in one bedroom flats with men who can't afford a respectable mail-order Eastern European bride.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I went up on Harford Moor today, it was glorious.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Lungboy posted:

Looks delicious :)

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

Lungboy posted:

This poo poo country is also quite beautiful sometimes. Almost makes you think better things might be possible.

I do appreciate how many walking routes and beaches are open to the public in this country & I'm grateful to the workers who fought for the right to roam.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

happyhippy posted:

Once been to London once, and that was on the tube omw to Oxford for a job interview.
loving place was full of Londoners! Couldn't believe it.
Something should be done about that.

tbh it sounds like the m25 containment zone is holding up surprisingly well for a piece of british infrastructure

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I get free buses now because my eyes got real bad. It's pretty sweet tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I get free buses in Wales (and cross border so long as the bus route goes through Wales at some point - or starts/ends not 100% sure) because I'm an old biddy.
Shame there are SFA buses most of the time especially evenings.