Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "156 - Jucika Is Late"

"157 - Jucika's Beaus"

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (April 19, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 16, 1938)

Out Our Way (August 8-10, 1938, timg'd because Ick is back)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

EasyEW posted:

Mutt and Jeff

Mutt and Jeff must be hammered.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

I hope this story ends right here. This is a nice ending. Overexplaining would kind of ruin it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/15/02

Double Collins, both political and on the same topic

Brenda Starr 7/22-24/48

Smokey Stover 5/11/47

Everyday Movies 1/18/35

"I've got so I can do my hair in two hours and the curls stay in for days. The only trouble is you got to sleep on your face every night or you'll spoil them."

Bonus Ad! Buy a new car or your kid will die!

Selachian fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 16, 2022

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

:3:

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

How the hell does someone use a narration box with an explanation of what is happening in a visual medium in this day and age and not immediately think of that Nedroid comic about "Show don't tell"? How do they not immediately feel like a goddamn hack fraud?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

"So, we're going to have to kill my sisters' husbands, my sisters' children if they have any by then, and possibly my sisters. Be ready."

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

How has Toby stayed married for so long if this is how she responds to a minor crisis? Is Ian secretly some horrible abuser who belittles her behind closed doors? This level of anxiety seems beyond the scope of the friendly neighbor to help with.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

I grew up with dogs. Laughed out loud at this one, then felt guilty for laughing, then laughed again at my own reaction.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Twelve by Pies posted:

How the hell does someone use a narration box with an explanation of what is happening in a visual medium in this day and age and not immediately think of that Nedroid comic about "Show don't tell"? How do they not immediately feel like a goddamn hack fraud?

Holy Hell that Panel 3, lmfao. I can't do it. I can't be polite about the art anymore.

At this point Jules had Mark decide that the two entrepreneurial tech-bro millionaire/billionaires must be abusing their funds somehow to afford *gasp* a single SUV, which any average income or low income person with a loan could afford, let alone two spoiled stereotypes of rich upbringing brats. So he decides that they're doing it through lumber(legal but mean), NFTs(legal but mean/stupid) or filching Mark's Dad(the only real stakes we'd have, actually shady.) Of course Mark's Dad is a big business owner himself and would just have an accountant immediately notice money vanishing or going to anything not outlined in a contract but... whatever, all the new Mark Trail storylines started at average at best(the first) and rapidly fell into a dumpster from there. If one had to read this strip(or was hate-reading/doing it out of habit) then at least "Mark has to show his Dad that he can't trust these Tech Bros" is a story with a clear goal and motivations.

Then todays tirelumber fire happened. Look, at this point I don't think Jules actually knows how to write a story. And I mean that in the most literal sense. Actual cause and effect and any logic are too rich for New Trail. It'll make do with whatever it can find lying around in the metaphorical kitchen cabinet.

In the 2nd storyline Mark and Cricket hated each other. 20 years of it. We also had a money burning silicon valley computer office with the money for laptop docking stations rigged to overnight alarms to hinge an entire plot point on whether or not two goons could take a camera pic of Mark and his idiot thief friends with their personal phones.. instead of Cricket just having cameras installed in his office and siccing the police on Mark. Then in the 3rd storyline Cricket forgot he hates Mark(and hates him even more with a recent reminder of Mark having just bamboozled him) because he was so desperate for a NFTs partner(???) and now in the 4th storyline Cricket and Other Bro want to.. befriend the Trails, but they still hate and mock Mark, but they look to him for help?

"Do you know anything about lumber mill fires?" What? Why? Call the fire department. There. Done. These guys are wealthy. They have resources. They don't ask these questions in the first place. And it's a lumber mill. It's not Moe's Tavern and letting smuggled pandas out of the back because the feds are having a drink. gently caress. Seriously. I know I go on the ol' insane rant about new Trail pretty often as is but I've been sitting on this disbelief for about a month now because it just gets worse with every story and I'm fascinated just to see how bad it'll get. Since the art is now matching the writing I have to assume each Trail strip is hastily thrown out the door minutes before deadline.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, I've pretty much given up on NuTrail because I find it nearly impossible to keep the storyline or any of the non-Mark/Cherry/Rusty characters straight -- they're all so thinly drawn and their motivations and personalities seem to change on the fly.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Selachian posted:

Everyday Movies 1/18/35

"I've got so I can do my hair in two hours and the curls stay in for days. The only trouble is you got to sleep on your face every night or you'll spoil them."

Heh

Mercury Hat posted:

How has Toby stayed married for so long if this is how she responds to a minor crisis? Is Ian secretly some horrible abuser who belittles her behind closed doors? This level of anxiety seems beyond the scope of the friendly neighbor to help with.

It has been many years, but I feel like there was a plot where she got her identity stolen and her biggest reaction there was also, "Ian can't find out! He's going to think I'm such a goddamned idiot!"

Bernice is the horniest person in this comic and also the judgiest prude.

Accurate.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

maltesh posted:

"So, we're going to have to kill my sisters' husbands, my sisters' children if they have any by then, and possibly my sisters. Be ready."

Arf: :allears:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

:yeah:

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (double Annie edition)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Doomykins posted:

We also had a money burning silicon valley computer office with the money for laptop docking stations rigged to overnight alarms to hinge an entire plot point on whether or not two goons could take a camera pic of Mark and his idiot thief friends with their personal phones

Oh man you writing this caused me to remember something even loving dumber about that storyline, and further proves your point that Jules has no idea how to write a story. I went in last year's thread to look it up:

The woman in the dinosaur hoodie shows up while Mark and Cricket Bro are fighting and says "I will upload the source code for this app I created to the internet, ruining your plans to make money off it!" Then she throws the laptop at his face, saying "I don't need this anymore," and her and Mark Trail run off together.

Then, later on, Mark Trail comes running up to Dinosaur Hoodie woman and Glasses Guy as if they were somewhere else not with him. Then he asks if they got the laptop, and Dinosaur Hoodie woman says she had to give it back. Then Mark Trail is like "Wait the heist failed?"

But it succeeded! They got the loving source code uploaded to the internet! And Mark was with the Dinosaur Hoodie woman when it happened! He should know she doesn't have the laptop because he saw her loving throw it at Cricket Bro's face! And he should also know she uploaded the source code and therefore doesn't need the laptop anymore because he watched her do it!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave
I love the sign on the door. :3:

quote:

Heart of the City

Yes!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oh man you writing this caused me to remember something even loving dumber about that storyline, and further proves your point that Jules has no idea how to write a story. I went in last year's thread to look it up:

The woman in the dinosaur hoodie shows up while Mark and Cricket Bro are fighting and says "I will upload the source code for this app I created to the internet, ruining your plans to make money off it!" Then she throws the laptop at his face, saying "I don't need this anymore," and her and Mark Trail run off together.

Then, later on, Mark Trail comes running up to Dinosaur Hoodie woman and Glasses Guy as if they were somewhere else not with him. Then he asks if they got the laptop, and Dinosaur Hoodie woman says she had to give it back. Then Mark Trail is like "Wait the heist failed?"

But it succeeded! They got the loving source code uploaded to the internet! And Mark was with the Dinosaur Hoodie woman when it happened! He should know she doesn't have the laptop because he saw her loving throw it at Cricket Bro's face! And he should also know she uploaded the source code and therefore doesn't need the laptop anymore because he watched her do it!

Don't forget the completely incoherent car chase in that storyline either.

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

:stonk:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Boy, did that set of Docks strips age poorly.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Every Docks strip has aged poorly, just in different awful ways.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Zereth posted:

Don't forget the completely incoherent car chase in that storyline either.

Oh you mean the one where they're chasing Mark Trail and then stop him by magically teleporting in front of him?

NRVNQSR posted:

Every Docks strip has aged poorly, just in different awful ways.

Nah a few of them have aged pretty well, just that the ones that aged poorly are the vast majority.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oh you mean the one where they're chasing Mark Trail and then stop him by magically teleporting in front of him?

Yeah that one.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Oct. 15, 1950)

Frankly, Ollie seems to have her poo poo together and I fully expect her to be running things with or without Arf.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Nah a few of them have aged pretty well, just that the ones that aged poorly are the vast majority.

It is astonishingly early-2000s in every single way. I'm still enjoying it, but it's also wild just how much things have changed since then. And then you get the ones like this series which... oof.

Dinky and Jenny Sunday Jan. 19, 1941

The Sundays for Dinky and Jenny are separate from the dailies, Dinky is standalone gags and Jenny has a different story. Currently she's the nanny and pilot for just the loving worst little rich snot. A lucky rabbit's foot with a metal core set too close the the compass put them off course and they had to stop and get directions.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jenny's being straight-up negligent here and it's 100% her fault if they all die. This was not simple human error (like a bad weight estimate) which would at least be understandable; she outright stated that this would overload the plane to the point that they might not even be able to take off. But then she went ahead anyway, with a "welp, not my fault". No, Jenny, it IS your fault. Assuming this fuckup doesn't kill you, it's severe enough that you should lose your drat pilot's license over it.

Edited to add: I've crossposted this to the Aeronautical Insanity thread. I'm curious to see what actual pilots have to say about it...

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 16, 2022

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Bobbins

John Allison posted:

I drew today’s comic in the grip of a great sickness, but God willing, as it runs 19 days on, the poisons have passed me.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: The palace ghost (16/1937)

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Murdstone posted:

Apartment 3-G

I hope this story ends right here. This is a nice ending. Overexplaining would kind of ruin it.
And deny the young lovers a kiss? Have you, at long last, no romance left in your soul?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Look, people fall in love every day.

But a duck on a skateboard? That's a once in a lifetime event. Jeremy and Pierce know what's up.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Big Nate Year 1 (Mar 14-15, 1991)

Old School Peanuts (Jun 30, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 25-26, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Those Carnivores In Congress, What A Bunch of Vultures!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Goya champuru really is very good, although it's easy to screw up as there's a very fine line between "nicely bitter balanced by the other flavors in the dish" and "extremely bitter what the gently caress how do you eat this".

Night Visitors

Monya the Grey

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 7/22-24/48

This comic is endearingly stupid in a way that surprises me, given that most bad comics in this thread are enragingly stupid. Hm, I guess Computoon and Overboard also qualify, albeit for completely different reasons

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

What the gently caress, straw man?

(comic is good)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof