Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Pollyanna posted:

The market is so insane right now that buyers are waiving both inspections and mortgage appraisals. I’m honestly not comfortable doing the former. If I’m living in a house for at least 5-7 years, it drat well better be one I’m happy with and comfortable in. Finding out after I buy it that the I-beams are all cut up or that there’s a big enough termite infestation to count as first contact will ruin the whole thing.

Am I being overly picky? Has anyone here waived inspections, especially in the Greater Boston area? How annoyed will sellers get or how badly beaten will I be if I make inspections a mistake-have? Are any inspections reasonable enough to do and fix after purchase, or are they all big ticket items?

We've been looking and just bought in the Worcester area, and waiving inspection seems to be standard procedure these days. It's loving crazy, but that's how it is out here. If you do, gather whatever backround info you can and make your best assumption. One house we made an offer on, the sellers were both Bio-Med engineers with kids, so we figured the house was probably OK. Waived the inspection contingency and offered 52 over. We ended up being one of 19 offers made that day and we didn't get it!

Anyway, we know the condition of a bunch of big items, like roof, chimney, septic, well, heating, windows... other than that? We close in May and they just did the inspection yesterday so fingers crossed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Biomedical engineers in the Worcester area of child-rearing age? Christ, I mighta went to college with them. I hope they got their money’s worth.

Inspection forgiveness sounds worth doing, especially if I’m going to buy inside-95 where things are somehow jankier than Worcester. I’m not gonna lie, I’ve considered leaning into it all and turning a colonial into a setpiece out of Shadow Over Innsmouth. Greater Boston wants to look rundown, damp, and unhealthy? Why the gently caress not, I’ll give it the Classical Salem siding treatment with the requisite dead trees wrought iron gates and fog machines and it’ll get its fuckin wish. Just call me Herbert West!!!

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

When we bought our condo we waived inspection contingency, but we walked through with an inspector before we submitted an offer. It wasn’t a full inspection, but enough to make us comfortable putting in an offer.

As for appraisal, our realtor put in a clause that we would cover the first $25k of any appraisal shortfall.

This actually helped us out a lot, as we had a fairly large shortfall (the neighboring condo was listed at the same and had a cash offer, so was much closer to list than our offer). When the appraisal came in we countered with appraisal + $25k, and the seller came down significantly.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

This is weird; in the SF Bay Area the realtors normally provide a documents package that includes inspections (by their inspectors, obviously). Especially in a bidding situation, this is vital.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The selection in the Greater Boston area is old, decrepit, outdated and scarce enough that dismissing properties outright because of failed inspections will not only make you uncompetitive, it’ll heavily limit what you can even consider. Massachusetts houses are some of the biggest pieces of poo poo you’ll find that still go for north of $700k~$1m and what someone in California or Colorado considers a hovel gets snatched up within 24-48 hours here. You want something without lead, knob-and-tube, dirt floor basements, Bussman fuses, crumbling plaster walls, or doors to nowhere, you get a condo or an apartment or you move out of state.

Supposedly, the state being one of the oldest in the country is to blame (I don’t buy it). Honestly, I wouldn’t feel bad just gutting a 1900s-era colonial over a decade or so - not out of pride in homeownership, but because the house loving deserves it like the disgusting pit it is.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 15, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This is weird; in the SF Bay Area the realtors normally provide a documents package that includes inspections (by their inspectors, obviously). Especially in a bidding situation, this is vital.

Of the 15-20 bids we put in on condos in that area, only one had a professional inspection. It was nice because we were able to waive inspection contingency with a clear mind

Also, most condos with a halfway decent reserve fund and HOA minutes, as well as walk though of the building, could tell they were well taken care of, with a document trail to match

We got a disclosures packet for an SB800 building still in litigation and it was :lol::lol: like 250 page report with color photos of nit picky stuff, "roof crane was supposed to be GRABBER XLXL2501. builder installed GRABBER XLXL2499" and I guess their flashing installer was drunk or something it all had to be redone and it was one of those "biggest building on the block, by a lot" kind of situations with hundreds of infractions

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah our condo building has a mid 5 figure contract with a masonry repair company due to flashing issues. So builders can do totally substandard flashing and there is no recourse if water damage / leaking doesn’t start showing for 10-20 years right? We are just paying the 5 figures out of reserves but it’s crazy the builder seems to have zero financial responsibility after a few years. I have no idea how that stuff works though, I just want my windows to stop leaking so I don’t have to worry about a 5 figure flooring job that the HOA won’t cover.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If you want your living space to always have the option of fixing major problems and improving what’s already there, your only option is to own the whole thing. That’s why I’m getting a single-family detached. I don’t want anyone else to have a say in what can and can’t (or won’t) get fixed.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

If you want your living space to always have the option of fixing major problems and improving what’s already there, your only option is to own the whole thing. That’s why I’m getting a single-family detached. I don’t want anyone else to have a say in what can and can’t (or won’t) get fixed.

You are in for a rude awakening :(

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

When searching for hours we definitely had "no HOA" as pretty much dealbreaker #1, but we entertained the idea for one house that seemed super nice (until we read the disclosure report whoops!)

That's definitely something to tell your REA though. "Don't show me any houses in an HOA" is probably a pretty common request.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Pollyanna posted:

*laughs in AHJ/HOA*

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

brugroffil posted:

*laughs in AHJ/HOA*

And historic districts!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If a HOA tells me I’m not allowed to fix my windows or upgrade my HVAC then HOAs are a dealbreaker. I told my REA that and she agrees that SFHs are a good fit for that in Mass, cause they generally aren’t part of HOAs.

Everything I’ve heard of HOAs makes them out to be petty bullshit full of mismanagement and grift, anyway. gently caress em.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

If a HOA tells me I’m not allowed to fix my windows or upgrade my HVAC then HOAs are a dealbreaker. I told my REA that and she agrees that SFHs are a good fit for that in Mass, cause they generally aren’t part of HOAs.

Everything I’ve heard of HOAs makes them out to be petty bullshit full of mismanagement and grift, anyway. gently caress em.

Contractors are also a bunch of jerks with their own ideas. Then there's materials, currently "supply chain problems" but there's always going to be some challenge in that department too

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

At a certain point you can accept the realities of the market you're buying in or continue to decry it while also not buying a house. It sounds harsh, but it is what it is. If you live in a market where waived inspections are standard, then you either accept that (and have cash reserves to cover any repair eventuality, learn about the age of the typical big ticket items that have shorter lifespans, or be prepared to get an inspection anyway and forfeit your earnest money) or you don't buy a house.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pollyanna posted:

The selection in the Greater Boston area is old, decrepit, outdated and scarce enough that dismissing properties outright because of failed inspections will not only make you uncompetitive, it’ll heavily limit what you can even consider. Massachusetts houses are some of the biggest pieces of poo poo you’ll find that still go for north of $700k~$1m and what someone in California or Colorado considers a hovel gets snatched up within 24-48 hours here. You want something without lead, knob-and-tube, dirt floor basements, Bussman fuses, crumbling plaster walls, or doors to nowhere, you get a condo or an apartment or you move out of state.

Supposedly, the state being one of the oldest in the country is to blame (I don’t buy it). Honestly, I wouldn’t feel bad just gutting a 1900s-era colonial over a decade or so - not out of pride in homeownership, but because the house loving deserves it like the disgusting pit it is.
Huh. How far outside Boston are you looking? I used to live in Hudson, and most of the housing stock was '60s colonials. They certainly have their own problems, but you're not trying to rehab century-old wiring or dealing with plaster.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

As was mentioned upthread, do ask the realtor if it's in any kind of historic district. Repainting your house in (say) Concord is a living hell.

e: Yipes, sorry for doublepost.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Huh. How far outside Boston are you looking? I used to live in Hudson, and most of the housing stock was '60s colonials. They certainly have their own problems, but you're not trying to rehab century-old wiring or dealing with plaster.

I am in my current Slummerville apartment! :negative: I’m carrying a lot of renter baggage into this because of my current experience, which I’m sure I’ve posted about before.

Waltham/Malden/West Medford for near Boston, Framingham/Natick/Ashland for further out. Better selection outside, better commute and easier to meet people inside. Tough choice.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Ah Slummerville, because a lot of students rent there everyone has to live in student quality apartments. My now wife was living in a student slum in Allston and she ended up moving in with my in Arlington after the rat infestation left the lower floors and they were running across her bed at night. The one in the bread bin when she opened it one morning was the final straw.

Melrose is nice but :10bux: :10bux: :10bux:

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Pollyanna posted:

This depends entirely on the HOA.

Some HOAs DGAF and are just there to maintain some level or order and, more importantly, collect money to pay upkeep on common areas. They won't give you poo poo for having a stupid "My child is on the <SCHOOL> honor roll!" sign in your yard, but they won't let you park a dozen busted-rear end cars on your lawn on cinderblocks either.

Other HOAs are jam packed with retired busybodies who think they're god and will smite you for having a dandelion in your yard. Our local NextDoor blew up last year because a local neighborhood (not mine) cracked down on a 9/11 survivor who had an unauthorized :911: garden banner in their yard.

If there is any amount of common area (amenities like playgrounds, pools, etc.) then a HOA is absolutely necessary to keep those up. For condos and townhomes, you also need a HOA. For SFH without any of that crap, they're largely unnecessary.

HOAs can be fine, or they can be godawful. But they can always change, for better or for worse, so you have to stay vigilant and get involved if things go sideways.

I wouldn't write HOAs off completely, but you need to be aware of what the HOA is like.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I have an apartment with a coop/hoa setup and I can just replace whatever whenever, except for the front door which has to match the other front doors from the outside

I should replace some windows but I’m waiting for them to do it with the stacked communal funds

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Update on my mysterious orange yard rod!

It's unfortunately just a boring orange polymer rod :geno:

Approximately 20" long I'd say, definitely been there for many years, I had to break through old roots to get to its base.

Motronic you're probably correct that it's some kind of marker, but it's just in such a weird spot I don't know what it's supposed to be marking.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Pollyanna posted:

Good lord. This is truly one of the worse times to buy, isn’t it?

Do never buy is the Home Ownership threads evergreen mantra

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Waltham/Malden/West Medford for near Boston, Framingham/Natick/Ashland for further out. Better selection outside, better commute and easier to meet people inside. Tough choice.
Yeah, it really, really is. Add on "it's a substantial hike to get to events in the city".

The thing about HOAs is that they can change, rapidly. All it takes is for a couple of busybodies to win an election, and before you know it, people are on your lawn measuring the grass height.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That was the only marker of an old grave, hope you like haunted houses

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DaveSauce posted:

Some HOAs DGAF and are just there to maintain some level or order and, more importantly, collect money to pay upkeep on common areas. They won't give you poo poo for having a stupid "My child is on the <SCHOOL> honor roll!" sign in your yard, but they won't let you park a dozen busted-rear end cars on your lawn on cinderblocks either.

Other HOAs are jam packed with retired busybodies who think they're god and will smite you for having a dandelion in your yard. Our local NextDoor blew up last year because a local neighborhood (not mine) cracked down on a 9/11 survivor who had an unauthorized :911: garden banner in their yard.

The problem is it's borderline impossible to tell as a buyer which HOA is which - and it can vary over the years.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Hadlock posted:

That was the only marker of an old grave, hope you like haunted houses

:ghost:

I wish, but if any spoopy occurrences happen I'll be sure to update the thread.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is there anything special about this valve:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Apollo-3-4-in-Bronze-FIP-Pressure-Vacuum-Breaker-4A504A2F/307723093

That would prevent me from installing it myself? It looks like a portion of mine is cracked (presumably since the water wasn't turned off to our sprinkler system last year in time). Looks like I just need the valve and some teflon tape?

edit:

Dumb question, but how do I get it on? Looks like it's pretty tight against the house.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 17, 2022

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Everything you see that was threaded together was done first and then the pipe was sweat together. Look at it a bit closer and think about how you could unscrew it.

It helps save you from having to heat up and sweat thick bronze fittings.

So considering your asking this question I assume you don't want to braise copper pipe.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
I’d cut both copper vertical runs and sweat simple couplings back on after separating the threaded parts.

Definitely add some unions for the benefit of future you. Or, you know, don’t.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

mr.belowaverage posted:

I’d cut both copper vertical runs and sweat simple couplings back on after separating the threaded parts.

Definitely add some unions for the benefit of future you. Or, you know, don’t.

This guy knows

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists
I have a septic system with a pump tank and a sand mound. We just noticed today what looks like a geyser of water shooting out of the far end of the sand mound. I already put a call into the septic company to have them come out and look at it, but given it's easter sunday I'm not expecting a call back until Monday. The geyser went away so I assume it was from the pump system.

Is this my septic system failing, or is this something that is likely fixable?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

If the pump is before the leech field and it cannot push the water and instead is firing it out a relief valve then it might be time to replace the leech field. Do you know how old it is and what type of construction? I had a new pipe and stone system put in which has the longest life and it wasn’t much more than the cheaper plastic chamber type with like 1/3 of the life span.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists
The pump is before the sand mound, the sand mound is up a large hill from the septic tank/pump tank. It's firing out the far end of the sand mound, which I assume is the "end" of the pump line.

I assume it was installed in 2003 when the house itself was built. The only things I really know about it's construction is that it has a two chamber septic tank, and a holding/pump tank that pumps up to the sand mound when that gets full.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

The sand mound systems have about a 20-25 year lifespan so it might be reaching EoL depending on how much it has been used. I suspect that the sand needs to be replaced so it becomes porous again.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

The problem is it's borderline impossible to tell as a buyer which HOA is which - and it can vary over the years.

Requesting the meeting minutes and knocking on a few doors in the building to ask goes a long way to filling in the blanks on this.

My HOA experience has been a good one...but it's also just 3 households so there's basically no bureaucracy, gridlock or isolated decision-making.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Pollyanna posted:

The market is so insane right now that buyers are waiving both inspections and mortgage appraisals. I’m honestly not comfortable doing the former. If I’m living in a house for at least 5-7 years, it drat well better be one I’m happy with and comfortable in. Finding out after I buy it that the I-beams are all cut up or that there’s a big enough termite infestation to count as first contact will ruin the whole thing.

Am I being overly picky? Has anyone here waived inspections, especially in the Greater Boston area? How annoyed will sellers get or how badly beaten will I be if I make inspections a mistake-have? Are any inspections reasonable enough to do and fix after purchase, or are they all big ticket items?

we bought late last year in the south shore, we waived everything but our realtor came up with making the inspection "fyi only" so it was effectively waived from the perspective of the seller. our inspector spent six hours going over the place in a lot of detail and it was super helpful planning out what we needed to do on our way in. both our realtor and our real estate lawyer told us they could get us out of the process if they found a serious red flag even with the fyi only.

also, we ended up winning out of 8 other bids and we were not the highest one, the thing that distinguished us is we offered a two month rentback so they could get their poo poo together before they left instead of going in a rush

i feel your pain though on the innsmouth layouts, we jumped hard on the three normal layout houses we saw over a year and a half of looking and finally got the third one, i think my favorite weird MA house was the one with the water heater in the kitchen, the clothes washer on top of the fridge, and the dryer four doors down through three additions of different heights (it was a frankenranch in braintree)

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Why do all my doors have this black powder around the hinges? From quick online research, I'm thinking it's graphite powder lubricant. Do I just wipe it up every couple weeks or is there a long term fix? I'm assuming it's not dangerous or hazardous?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Yeah, it's just lubricant working it's way free from swinging the door. Wipe it up from time to time. Eventually it'll be dry and then it will start squeaking and you can take it apart and clean and lube it again!

Edit: I'm glad I picked up dark hinges this time around. Supposedly oil rubbed bronze but they look black to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We had ventilation... vents to the outside for air exchange purposes, and were downwind from a high air pollution area in a major city. I ended up blocking these off but we'd still get black soot in the spots where the air leaked through that looked like this.

If you have an air return on the back side of that door and you're pulling in outside air that could be soot collecting? Especially if it keeps returning