Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
My favorite Arnold threat is the following.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC4XwpmJGi0

I also unironically love Last Action Hero and watch it whenever I see it pop up on TV.

*comes home and shoots the armed assassin in his closet*

"Jeez, how'd you know there was a guy in there?"

"There's always a guy in there."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_M-uhGKvJ0

Fuckin' classic Arnold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

movie critics are morons in general but it's really pathetic how they were wrong about both last action hero and starship troopers basically back-to-back

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

MrMojok posted:

He's done a lot of stuff, but to me Commando is kind of the Action Movie of Action Movies.

Commando is probably Top 3 for me in terms of 80's Arnold action films.

Him being surprised that Rae Dawn Chong knew how to shoot the RPG and then her saying it was because she read the instructions is a terrific line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xXr3NRQzZk

And who could forget one of the best Arnold lines ever?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8JFVSNxkEI

Don't even get me started on Commando. An infinitely quotable film.

"Don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired."

"Let off some steam, Bennett."

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Gonz posted:

My favorite Arnold threat is the following.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC4XwpmJGi0

I also unironically love Last Action Hero and watch it whenever I see it pop up on TV.

*comes home and shoots the armed assassin in his closet*

"Jeez, how'd you know there was a guy in there?"

"There's always a guy in there."

Fuckin' classic Arnold.

Right! And then he thumbs through a wardrobe that consist entirely of that same brown leather jacket, and same t-shirt

E: “Arnold Brownschweiger. Pleased to meet you.”

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

MrMojok posted:

Right! And then he thumbs through a wardrobe that consist entirely of that same brown leather jacket, and same t-shirt

E: “Arnold Brownschweiger. Pleased to meet you.”

Last Action Hero getting a 2 second cameo out of Sharon Stone (from Basic Instinct) and Robert Patrick (as the T-1000) were, IMO, two of the best throwaway gags i've ever seen in a movie up to that point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs-iNAak1yU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Can’t talk about 80s action movies without talking about Shane Black, I reckon.

There had been a a couple of cop-buddy movies prior to Lethal Weapon. There had been the French Connection, maybe one or two others? Beverly Hills Cop, and 48 Hours, I guess?

But in 1985 or so freshman screenwriter Shane Black blew things up with a spec script (Lethal Weapon), back in the days when people in this town were looking for spec scripts, and it lit the town on fire.

Started a huge bidding war and I believe sold for a million or a bit more, which was huge at that time.

The catch is, his script is a hell of a lot darker than the movie we all know. The framework/spine survived, as did a lot of the dialogue and plot beats, but his script was a lot darker than what they ended up filming.

Several years later he wrote The Last Action Hero, and this script was most *definitely* much darker than the movie we got, and had huge differences. The basic idea is there, but it’s a whole different film. I think I remember Black kind of disowning the final film, which was rewritten by a few people.

I wish I could summarize the differences but I can’t check them right now. I think I have both his original Lethal Weapon script and his original LAH script, or at least very very early versions of both.

PM me if you want to read them.

e: the LAH scripts I have are by Zack Penn and Adam Leff, not Black. These are the initial changes from what Black wrote, I guess. One is dated Sept 1991 and the other Oct 1992.

The Lethal Weapon script I have is by Black, and I am pretty certain this is the one that drove everyone crazy in the mid-80s. Pretty much the same story, just darker.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Apr 16, 2022

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Commando is great because it's the peak of the 80s action film style. Just like with Cobra released the same year, after this there's nowhere else to go.

Then two years later Die Hard creates a very different kind of action film, and becomes the definitive action film until The Matrix is released and changes things up again.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Wasn't the original Last Action Hero screenplay called something like Gratuitous Violence?

Have a feeling I said this upthread, but so many of LAH's gags that were meant to be ridiculously excessive satire of contemporaneous action movies have been used without apparent irony since then. Jack Slater would be too ordinary and restrained to exist in the Fast & Furious universe, for instance, and as for Bayworld...

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Arnold just laying waste to everyone with heavy weaponry at the end of Raw Deal, and then shooting the old man, only to dump a bowl full of candy on top of him, was such a weird tonal choice, but because it was the 80's, it worked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTCW9710uMQ&t=241s

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gonz posted:

Arnold just laying waste to everyone with heavy weaponry at the end of Raw Deal, and then shooting the old man, only to dump a bowl full of candy on top of him, was such a weird tonal choice, but because it was the 80's, it worked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTCW9710uMQ&t=241s

The movie is missing an epilogue where it shows that he has gone full Commando now and can't go back, and that he loving loves it. As it is, the movie starts with this One Last Mission that tears him from his... drunken wife and lovely boring small-town life? And he gets to rough up people and wear nice suits? Where is the raw deal? Arnold gets to indulge himself in being a slick unstoppable juggernaut, everybody around him gets the raw deal but he is kind of living the life.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

MrMojok posted:

What's the thread opinions on action movie GOAT?

I see there are a lot of Jackie fans here, and that's totally understandable. As someone who became a teenager in the 80s, personally I definitely have to go with Arnold. He's done a lot of stuff, but to me Commando is kind of the Action Movie of Action Movies.

Like, it takes everything the genre was about at the time and combines it and amps it up to eleven, and it has fun doing it with this wry, almost tongue in cheek approach. I mean, it's not at all a spoof or a comedy, but it knows what it is, it knows it's over the top, and it loves doing it.

Then, Predator is not only a great action film, but a great film overall IMO. Kind of a unique blend of action, sci-fi, and horror.

Then you've got The Last Action Hero which a lot of people hate, but I've always loved because it's a great send-up of the whole genre, and it pokes fun at Arnold himself. Plus, you've got Charles Dance as the villain, and that can never be bad.

Arnie of course did a ton of other stuff besides, and he's the one for me.

Then, I know he's been a joke for a long time but the very end of the 80s through the very beginning of the 90s, Seagal was really quite a revelation. His early three-word-title films, the first three, are all great action flicks IMO. He doesn't top Arnie or even come close but he really stood out for me, for a few years there.

Arnold is definitely up there but I think you also need to include Chow Yun-Fat in the conversation for overall impact since his Hong Kong movies had such a huge impact on action films all over the world. Arnold has some absolutely amazing movies (and commando is one of my all time favorites) but Chow Yun-Fat's influence is so wide spread and continues to influence movies today.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAtxZHuJNW4

:toot:

Thirty years of two-gun hospital trollying :cool:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MrMojok posted:

Then, I know he's been a joke for a long time but the very end of the 80s through the very beginning of the 90s, Seagal was really quite a revelation. His early three-word-title films, the first three, are all great action flicks IMO. He doesn't top Arnie or even come close but he really stood out for me, for a few years there.

Feels like with Seagal, he was carried by the production and actors around him. He's this weird squinty dude flapping his arms around and running hilariously while Tommy Lee Jones or Henry Silva actually carry the movie.

Lol found this on the Above the Law wiki:

It has been reported that Seagal was asked to make the film by his former aikido pupil, agent Michael Ovitz, who believed that he could make anyone a movie star. It was set and filmed in Chicago, Illinois, over 60 days between April 27 and June 26, 1987.[6]

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 16, 2022

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The Dollop just did a three parter on Seagal and they cover that stuff. He was also mobbed up so the movies might have been favors/money laundering as well.

Shageletic posted:

Feels like with Seagal, he was carried by the production and actors around him. He's this weird squinty dude flapping his arms around and running hilariously while Tommy Lee Jones or Henry Silva actually carry the movie.

His movies never did feel like they needed him over someone else in that role.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I feel like there's some unfortunate revisionism going on since Segal turned out to be such a piece of poo poo, but in the 80s, Hollywood fight scenes were pretty simplistic before Segal, basically big haymakers and occasionally a high kick. Segal's joint locks and throws were a huge leap forward in terms of fight choreography.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
True. I also remember how visceral the fight scene where he puts a cue ball in a bar towel felt at the time, for Hollywood it must have felt like the first time Bruce Lee pulled out nunchuks on screen

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

dokmo posted:

I feel like there's some unfortunate revisionism going on since Segal turned out to be such a piece of poo poo, but in the 80s, Hollywood fight scenes were pretty simplistic before Segal, basically big haymakers and occasionally a high kick. Segal's joint locks and throws were a huge leap forward in terms of fight choreography.

I would argue lethal weapon started it before he did. The end fight with Gary Busey was one of the first times Gracie Jiu Jitsu was used in a film.

Edit. I do think Segal's fight scenes are pretty fun to watch but he also ends up being significantly larger than everyone he fights and his fight scenes tend to take advantage of it and he never seems to be in actual danger.

B-Rock452 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 16, 2022

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Speaking of Seagal, I missed this when it aired live in 1991 and to this day I’ve never seen any footage from it until this tweet.

The reply downthread that has a video of Bob Odenkirk is well worth a watch, too

https://twitter.com/scottgairdner/status/1515371814632886275?s=21&t=Ruk8U-vKYeykSGqAcP7Jpw

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Speaking of formative 80s(ish) film figures, Walter Hill's directoral run of Hard Times, The Driver, The Warriors, The Long Riders, Southern Comfort, 48hrs and Streets of Fire (plus a hands on producer role on Alien) is incredible, then after that you can really start to see him struggle with the way Arnold and others changed the action landscape.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Payndz posted:

I've know I've seen the second Reacher film - I must own the DVD, because I didn't see it in a cinema - and I couldn't tell you anything about it. So that may answer your question.

Struggling to remember a single moment, and... it's in New Orleans? Tom Cruise jumps between upper floors of buildings at night? Beyond that, sorry, got nada.

I happened to just catch this on cable.

It was in fact, Not Good.

It ended thirty minutes ago and I’m already starting to forget things about it.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

MrMojok posted:

What's the thread opinions on action movie GOAT?

Then you've got The Last Action Hero which a lot of people hate, but I've always loved because it's a great send-up of the whole genre, and it pokes fun at Arnold himself. Plus, you've got Charles Dance as the villain, and that can never be bad.

Charles dance is great, i listened to a podcast he was on where they talked about his Hollywood stuff and his instant reply to being asked about working with Arnold on Last Action Hero was "The catering was fantastic".

And yeah I think Arnold probably has to be the goat, though my go-to 80s/90s action movie will forever be Demolition Man.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Last Action Hero is great but the only thing that bugs me is when he's in the real world and tears the door off its hinges

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

Last Action Hero is great but the only thing that bugs me is when he's in the real world and tears the door off its hinges

He's still built like Arnold

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Yeah that's really not that far fetched, I watched a guy miss a heavy squat and he got super angry and ripped the door to the utility closet completely off it's hinges like it was nothing.

I do feel like I need to watch last action hero though. I remember seeing part of it when I was way younger and I didn't like it. Might not have understood it

B-Rock452 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 17, 2022

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

MrBling posted:

And yeah I think Arnold probably has to be the goat, though my go-to 80s/90s action movie will forever be Demolition Man.

Demolition Man is almost too clever for Stallone. He pulls it off but it still feels like it was meant for Arnold.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Demolition Man is easily one of the best scifi dystopia action films ever made. And it should never, in a million years, be remade.

I’ve heard unsubstantiated rumors for a long time about there being a sequel script being collaborated on, but another George R. R. Martin GoT book will be released before that sees the light of day, i’d imagine.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I found out the other day that the reason for the near future setting rather than further ahead was that originally there was a sub plot of Stallone finding his daughter.
It never made sense to me that the world could change that much in 36 years but that does explain it.

Of course, it doesn't explain why they didn't just change it later on once they had that plot out.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

An early version of the script allegedly had Huxley revealed as his daughter.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Mantis42 posted:

movie critics are morons in general but it's really pathetic how they were wrong about both last action hero and starship troopers basically back-to-back

Last Action Hero was a weird one because it came at the very height of Arnold. Post T2 he was literally the biggest thing out there and reaching peak exposure. Stories of the film being advertised on the side of rockets going into space set it up for a fall as it was all so extravagant. It was a tonally weird film, too. Personally I love it and it gets so much right but you can't deny it's an uneven film.

For me the problem was that the "action world" was too cartoony. For me the perfect level of self awareness in an Arnie film was True Lies. It was insane, violent, cool and tongue in cheek but it took itself JUST seriously enough that it didn't wink at the camera too much. Last Action Hero felt like a Loony Tunes cartoon in places. There was a literal cartoon cat character in there, actual steam came out of the police chief's ears and every joke was held up to the audience like it was saying "huh? huh?". This action world didn't actually feel like a world that would be an Arnold movie.

Ironically, if they'd toned down the action world to True Lies levels it would be a perfect film. Charles Dance is amazing, some of the gags are perfect, the real world felt genuinely shocking after the action stuff, the sequence with meeting the real Arnold was perfect and even the kid wasn't as annoying as most child actors were at the time.

I still giggle at the car chicken scene in the real world. The kid shouting "You are going to die!!" and there's no Hollywood angles, no fast editing. Just Arnold's car revving off and pummelling into the other car in an utterly real crash in the distance. Perfect moment and had me and a buddy crying with laughter for way longer than we should have been.

For the record, the perfect Arnold movie is The Running Man and I will die on that hill

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The Running Man is tremendous.

“Hey Killian! Here is Sub Zero. Now….Plain Zero.”

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Gonz posted:

The Running Man is tremendous.

“Hey Killian! Here is Sub Zero. Now….Plain Zero.”

I was 9 when that film came out and I loved it. Yeah, even at 9 I thought the concept fell apart (how is this supposed to work live?) and spotted the silly things like the in-show credits being clips from the film still to come - but it was instrumental in making me question the world and the media, showing a kid how TV could be used to push whatever angle you wanted.

An absolute classic 80s sci-fi soundtrack that still gives me chills, prime Jessie Ventura, memorable villains, a deep plot (for an Arnie film being watched by a 9 yearold) and so many amazing Arnold lines and a main bad guy who gets plenty of his own lines in.

My favourite line in the movie isn't even an Arnold line. It's Killian.

"I know you... you're the rear end in a top hat off TV"
"Funny, I was thinking the same thing..."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

dokmo posted:

Yeah Seagal is an absolute pile of poo poo but he was the real deal at that point in time action wise.

Dog_Meat posted:

I was 9 when that film came out and I loved it. Yeah, even at 9 I thought the concept fell apart (how is this supposed to work live?) and spotted the silly things like the in-show credits being clips from the film still to come - but it was instrumental in making me question the world and the media, showing a kid how TV could be used to push whatever angle you wanted.

An absolute classic 80s sci-fi soundtrack that still gives me chills, prime Jessie Ventura, memorable villains, a deep plot (for an Arnie film being watched by a 9 yearold) and so many amazing Arnold lines and a main bad guy who gets plenty of his own lines in.

My favourite line in the movie isn't even an Arnold line. It's Killian.

"I know you... you're the rear end in a top hat off TV"
"Funny, I was thinking the same thing..."

This movie has my favorite instance ever of people looking at "surveillance footage" that's actually just some prior footage from the movie replayed verbatim.

Which is fine because The Running Man absolutely fuckin' rules. It's incredibly fun thanks to Arnold even before he enters the campiness holds up really well to me. Like you say it's not super deep but it accomplishes its goal of showing the ouroboros of brutal violence being presented in a wholesome way to TV audiences to keep the military/etc. looking good that TV shows keep doing because ratings.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Running Man is the first cinematic depiction of a Deepfake, isn't it?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

One of the many ways in which it's still relevant now. I think you could argue the earliest possible example might be in Demon Seed when the computer runs footage of her saying everything is fine to get the boyfriend to not come in. But I forget if that's something completely constructed by the computer and not it replacing existing footage, but like the intent and the damage is the same.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I guess Arnold as the Terminator mimicking Sarah Conner's mother, but that's only audio. The only other film I can think of is Rising Sun in the early 90s (where the Japanese may as well have been aliens with how they were portrayed).

Running man had that whole "re-jig a few details to make Richards the bad guy in a major massacre" thing which my 9 yearold self was raging about. To a kid who was used to villains being plain evil blow-up-the-world types it was eye opening to see a gameshow host as a powerful enemy that simply held all the cards. Until "they're betting on Richards, for Christ's sake".

"I can pick anyone I choose... and I choose Ben Richards"
<leans into mic>
"That boy's one mean motherfucker"

Man, everyone remember's Arnie's lines, but there's so many classics from other characters.

"Guess I'll go take some more steroids"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Sven Ole Thorsen is a treasure in all those Arnie movies. He also has fun cameos in The Quick and the Dead and Gladiator.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Dog_Meat posted:

I guess Arnold as the Terminator mimicking Sarah Conner's mother, but that's only audio. The only other film I can think of is Rising Sun in the early 90s (where the Japanese may as well have been aliens with how they were portrayed).

Running man had that whole "re-jig a few details to make Richards the bad guy in a major massacre" thing which my 9 yearold self was raging about. To a kid who was used to villains being plain evil blow-up-the-world types it was eye opening to see a gameshow host as a powerful enemy that simply held all the cards. Until "they're betting on Richards, for Christ's sake".

"I can pick anyone I choose... and I choose Ben Richards"
<leans into mic>
"That boy's one mean motherfucker"

Man, everyone remember's Arnie's lines, but there's so many classics from other characters.

"Guess I'll go take some more steroids"

For real Richard Dawson was just the absolute best possible casting for that character.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

For real Richard Dawson was just the absolute best possible casting for that character.

"Get me the Justice Department... Entertainment Division..."

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

High Warlord Zog posted:

Speaking of formative 80s(ish) film figures, Walter Hill's directoral run of Hard Times, The Driver, The Warriors, The Long Riders, Southern Comfort, 48hrs and Streets of Fire (plus a hands on producer role on Alien) is incredible, then after that you can really start to see him struggle with the way Arnold and others changed the action landscape.

Just watched 48 hours and most of Another 48 hours for the first time and other than the first movie's insane amount of racist dialogue (INSANE), there was a deep drop off in the quality between the two, and I'm not sure why. Same director, same set-up, I guess there's more of a focus on inert bad guys? I don't know.

Also Eddie Murphy's arc in the first movie is to get laid, with him just barking at random women to gently caress him and trying at one point to pretend to be a lawyer to gently caress some ladies in a closet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Yeah 48 hours gets pretty uncomfortable, wasn't a huge fan so didn't watch the sequel. However, if anyone reading this threat hasn't seen "Streets of Fire," just go and watch it right now. Don't even see a trailer or read anything about it. It rules.