Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Saxophone posted:

Oh man, Stardew has me trained that my crops are just gonna poof at the start of a season so this whole time I’ve been laughing like I got away with something.

Welp.
They do not poof, the only difference is that crops will grow more slowly in bad seasons for them and faster in good seasons (it's in the crop description)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
With one exception Starfall crops.

Mechanically, they do have different field sizes. Ice dragon has the largest total field, but the first dragon has the biggest without taking into account terra crystals.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Before rune factory 4 the crops all died on season change too.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I feel like in four (and probably five) they took a severe health hit but could tank that

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

They do not poof, the only difference is that crops will grow more slowly in bad seasons for them and faster in good seasons (it's in the crop description)

It took me awhile to figure out my crops would not just insta-die between seasons. It's... honestly really nice? Cuz lately I've been getting quests from Eliza to grow out of season crops, and it would honestly be really annoying to be unable to complete those until the season changed over! Especially considering those quests are directly tied to being able to buy better stuff at the shops.

... Speaking of that, I saw a quest from her that I have not the faintest, foggiest clue how to do. Something about growing a freaking dungeon in my crop field like it's a turnip?! What? Literally what? It doesn't tell me at all HOW I do such a thing, just that I can do it.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
There's a place in the autumn road where you can get dungeon seeds. They grow into a randomized dungeon.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Field dungeons are in 5? I swore those were cut?

Edit forgot Silver is playing 4.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

FrickenMoron posted:

There's a place in the autumn road where you can get dungeon seeds. They grow into a randomized dungeon.

:psyduck: Well I have another quest to go kill things in the Hill dungeon that's near there, so I guess I'll grab my horse husbands and go do that. I just gave Dylas a fully upgraded Veggieblade to use and some better armor.

Mokinokaro posted:

Field dungeons are in 5? I swore those were cut?

Edit forgot Silver is playing 4.

Yeah sorry usually I remember to specify that I'm on RF4 but I forgot this time.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Alright, I knocked out the first Sharance maze and I’m guessing at this point it’s time to start breaking the game over my knee?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Silver Falcon posted:

It took me awhile to figure out my crops would not just insta-die between seasons. It's... honestly really nice? Cuz lately I've been getting quests from Eliza to grow out of season crops, and it would honestly be really annoying to be unable to complete those until the season changed over! Especially considering those quests are directly tied to being able to buy better stuff at the shops.

... Speaking of that, I saw a quest from her that I have not the faintest, foggiest clue how to do. Something about growing a freaking dungeon in my crop field like it's a turnip?! What? Literally what? It doesn't tell me at all HOW I do such a thing, just that I can do it.

Do you know where Demon's Den is? If not, it's to the right of Sercerezo Lake. There's a simple puzzle and a boss fight which awards dungeon seeds.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Silver Falcon posted:

So, in RF4 a bunch of the obtuse mechanics and hidden items are explained by the random tourists who appear in town every day. Or you can just go look it up because there's a ton of random stuff hidden about.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
replaying rf4 and it's so much better than rf5

but uh, now I gotta trigger Memories, so wish me luck goons

(at least I realized I can raid Leon Karnak for Orichalcum beforehand because my weapons and armor are starter crap + all level 10 Iron upgrades to get me over the hump)

edit: holy poo poo, in RF4 Special they made it so Memories is guaranteed to be the next Town Event after you finish act 2?!?!?! this rocks

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 11, 2022

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Managed to get married just before Christmas. If you cut out all the mistakes I made from not understanding the system I bet you could do it before the first winter

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How do you guys think the Mineral Town remake compares to Stardew?

I haven’t completed a year of Stardew but I’m really enjoying the Mineral Town remake. I like the brisket pace. I hate how loving slow you move in Stardew. I’m playing both on Switch so no mods for me.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 15, 2022

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Is there a reliable source of withered grass anywhere? I’d like to mass produce some Formula A.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

brainwrinkle posted:

Is there a reliable source of withered grass anywhere? I’d like to mass produce some Formula A.

There's some at the base of trees in town -- in particular, one on the path south to the beach just east of the great tree plaza, and another right next to where Simone usually stands during a festival.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
it's a bit of a gimmicky trick, but when the seasons change, any starfall seeds you have planted will turn into a stack of withered grass and then refund the seed

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Metis of the Hallways posted:

There's some at the base of trees in town -- in particular, one on the path south to the beach just east of the great tree plaza, and another right next to where Simone usually stands during a festival.

In Summer at least these are Weeds and not Withered Grass.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Oh lol, I'm sorry. I'm in winter so I guess they withered up by then! There's also a bunch in the first cave on the right after the wall in Gadeus Grasslands. Only four at a time. Otherwise I know they pop up in dungeons but I can never remember where.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
You will eventually be able to buy Formula A from the flower shop once it opens. Often it's the better alternative to trying to brew the stuff up yourself.

Alternately, while it's either quite expensive or takes a while to farm, spending 5 of the red dragon crystals on a farm dragon increases the growth speed of every single plot on that dragon by 2.0x, which is effectively 4 Formula A's at once for every single plot. It can also be done twice in a row if you have the resources to immediately max out growth rate on every plot in a farm dragon.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I am annoyed at my current dungeon in RF4 Floating Empire. I lowered 2 of the three barrier things by exploring all the rooms, but the last wing of the dungeon is one of those "You get warped all over the goddamn place and better hope you have a good sense of direction, lol!" Yeah well guess what? I DON'T! :argh: I hate this kind of poo poo. I warp around until I'm thoroughly lost and then I get to a room with three different colored pillars, gray switches in the floor, and a colored switch in the top left corner. Obviously I need to hit the switch, but I don't know how to get to it. Stepping on a gray switch lowers one of the colored pillars, but it needs to be weighed down. I can grab a box from the next room and weigh down one of the switches, but there are three of them in that room, and they all need to be weighed down at once. I bring my monster friends with me, and they can weigh the switch down, but there doesn't seem to be a command to tell them to "Stay" like a dog.

What do I dooooooooooooooo?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Silver Falcon posted:

What do I dooooooooooooooo?
Take an item out of your inventory, then put it down on the switch. Literally any item, stack of 1 ok.

(also, I don't remember if you have to throw an item over an impasse to land on a switch at some point in the dungeon, but be aware you can do that too.)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Take an item out of your inventory, then put it down on the switch. Literally any item, stack of 1 ok.

(also, I don't remember if you have to throw an item over an impasse to land on a switch at some point in the dungeon, but be aware you can do that too.)

:doh: Can't believe I never thought to try that. Thanks! You got me unstuck.

... And then the boss of the place just wiped the floor with me. I'm level 120 or so and I thought my gear was up to date, but he does this AoE attack that's just like "Hi HP, bye HP!"

Using the shield magic didn't help... So how am I supposed to deal with that? I figure there has to be something I'm supposed to do, because I am just getting insta-melted.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Silver Falcon posted:

... And then the boss of the place just wiped the floor with me. I'm level 120 or so and I thought my gear was up to date, but he does this AoE attack that's just like "Hi HP, bye HP!"

Using the shield magic didn't help... So how am I supposed to deal with that? I figure there has to be something I'm supposed to do, because I am just getting insta-melted.

Have you been crafting gear, and what difficulty are you on? Level means very little by that point and you should have at least semi-decently crafted and upgraded gear even on normal.

You're also very close to the end of Arc 2.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
i think rune factory 3 might be one of the best video games ever made

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
pia is the best

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

She's not bad, I grant you.

But she's no Carlos who is a series best.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

You get access to platinum in the dungeon you're in, so it's probably worth making a better set of armor/boots/etc. using it.

(Also farming tools)

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Dirk the Average posted:

You get access to platinum in the dungeon you're in, so it's probably worth making a better set of armor/boots/etc. using it.

(Also farming tools)

Yeah there's plenty of cheap plat recipes that you can 150. Even with just seeds as upgrades you can get decent stats.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Platinum loving sucks because it's only from the boxes in Floating Empire until arc 3, but it's the way to go, unless...

if your forging/crafting skills are over 50 you can get a huge jump in power by just stuffing level 10 seeds in every empty slot both while creating and while upgrading - there's a stat buff based on total level of items used in an item, and the final buff for 150 total levels is +700 atk or like + 500 def (body armor only). note that the highest total level possible is also exactly 150 (six level ten ingredients, nine level ten upgrades) so the best gear you have access to is actually a Broadsword made from level 10 iron + a loooot of level 10 turnip seeds (or whatever random level 10 crap you have lying around, because the stats literally do not matter)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Wait what? The level of the material make a difference when upgrading? Well son of a BITCH I didn't know that! Yeah I have level 10 turnip seeds thanks to the Eliza quests.

Also my forging level is around 50, and my crafting is... mid-40s or so. If I'm so close to being able to make better tools I'll just go nab some turnip seeds and get to it.

I'm playing on normal difficulty. Oh! Also, since I was getting so thoroughly wrecked, I did real quick look up a guide for that boss just in case there was something obvious I'm missing and yeah. There was. That AoE that kept murdering me? It's an insta-party kill. You're not meant to tank it. When he starts charging it up you have go to the edges of the arena to avoid it. Once I started doing THAT he was cake, so it wasn't my gear that was the problem.

I will go make some better stuff now, though! Onto Arc 3????

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Apr 18, 2022

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Oh! The AOE was the giant light ball from the old dude? Yeah, that poo poo is awful and will basically always oneshot you. Just avoid. Take the little teleporter in the opposite corner to end up behind him and beat him up!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Yeah! That was it. What made me think that there was something I was doing wrong, was it wasn't just wrecking me, it was also insta-wrecking my pets. I had Thunderbolt and a green fairy with me, and they usually tank things pretty well.

Getting close enough to smack him wasn't a problem cuz I've been using magic for ages. I have this sweet wind spell and this also pretty sweet dark spell. The magic staves don't seem to do as well as the magic attacks themselves, I find. But spamming the screen with wind sickles works a treat!

I am bad at this game but I love it!

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Mysticblade posted:

She's not bad, I grant you.

But she's no Carlos who is a series best.

wow, first time I see someone liking the fish guy.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
He has some insane pec cleavage not surprised he has fans

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

I am bad at this game but I love it!

And honestly, this is the best way to approach the game. You'll eventually learn the crafting system once you get into the postgame, and learning how to break the game over your knee takes all the struggle out of the early portions of the game.

I would highly recommend doing some research on how the crafting system works after you get a bit further though; the system is incredibly deep and there's a hell of a lot you can do to optimize your gear and customize it in any way you want. For instance, I eventually ended up with a sword that I could use with the cyclone weapon art to hit the entire screen and inflict every single debuff (including instant death!) at a fairly high % chance. There's also ways to increase your resistances to all damage, boost stats into the stratosphere, stack multiple accessory effects into one accessory, etc. etc. etc.

Granted, most of the materials to do what I talked about are things that show up in the postgame, so you're pretty close to when all the options start opening up.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Dirk the Average posted:

You will eventually be able to buy Formula A from the flower shop once it opens. Often it's the better alternative to trying to brew the stuff up yourself.

Alternately, while it's either quite expensive or takes a while to farm, spending 5 of the red dragon crystals on a farm dragon increases the growth speed of every single plot on that dragon by 2.0x, which is effectively 4 Formula A's at once for every single plot. It can also be done twice in a row if you have the resources to immediately max out growth rate on every plot in a farm dragon.

I unlocked the flower shop shortly after posting.

You're correct, the crystals are extremely powerful. It is actually not all that difficult to farm crystal shards either. I was able to expand the earth dragon twice, upgrade the speed, and finally increase the number of crops harvested. I'm swimming in cash from a bumper crop of corn. I'm nearing completion of my level 10 turnip plan after purchasing 48k of Greenifier+. I don't yet have time to manage two dragons at this level yet with mostly silver tools.

A few places I've noticed crystals in the world:
* Under the bridge near SEED HQ
* Volcano region: just sitting in the bushes not far from the entrance
* Volcano region: on top of the large boulder near the skeleton
* Volcano region: in the lava

Also: holy poo poo the farm on the wind dragon is small.

Are people using Gaia crystals to heal their soil or corn on the dragons? What are the best cash crops partway through Act 2? I have onions, bok choy, oranges, grapes, etc unlocked.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
once you upgrade crystalabra once, you can also just buy the crystals directly for 50k each and save some time

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

brainwrinkle posted:

I unlocked the flower shop shortly after posting.

You're correct, the crystals are extremely powerful. It is actually not all that difficult to farm crystal shards either. I was able to expand the earth dragon twice, upgrade the speed, and finally increase the number of crops harvested. I'm swimming in cash from a bumper crop of corn. I'm nearing completion of my level 10 turnip plan after purchasing 48k of Greenifier+. I don't yet have time to manage two dragons at this level yet with mostly silver tools.

A few places I've noticed crystals in the world:
* Under the bridge near SEED HQ
* Volcano region: just sitting in the bushes not far from the entrance
* Volcano region: on top of the large boulder near the skeleton
* Volcano region: in the lava

Also: holy poo poo the farm on the wind dragon is small.

Are people using Gaia crystals to heal their soil or corn on the dragons? What are the best cash crops partway through Act 2? I have onions, bok choy, oranges, grapes, etc unlocked.

I reserve the first dragon to grow crops that I'm leveling. Any other dragons I have animals water the fields for me. I don't have animals work the first dragon so that they don't harvest crops that I'm trying to grow large versions of. I really should just have them work the middle and right sides of the field and reserve the left side for my individual experiments, but whatever.

Growing crops that regrow is usually a good idea. Strawberries are probably my go-to crop for farming early on because they level up every aspect of a soil plot, regrow quickly, sell decently, and strawberry jam makes good gift for at least three villagers. Pumpkins are my go-to restoration food because boiled pumpkin is incredibly easy to make and they grow very quickly and in large numbers.

I use Gaia crystals if I need to heal an entire dragon at once, which if you're growing a massive field is probably going to be the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I have the fully upgraded earth farm dragon with a full field of lvl 10 pineapples. that'll do for now until I can plant lvl 10 golden crops and emery flowers.