Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Jordan7hm posted:

I really like the hard case imprint. Classic crime books presented really well.

Yeah, they're great. They've published some long-lost classics and fantastic new crime novels as well.

It's a passion project by Charles Ardai (who funds the whole thing), and he has pretty good taste in books/ authors. I like when rich people actually use their money for good things. It's pretty fuckin' rare!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

So far, so good!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gentlemen Bones
Jul 22, 2014

I HAVE FEELINGS! I CARE! IM SO CONFUUUUSED!

This books actually pretty sick and all the ads are wonderfully of-their-time. Taschen puts out some quality poo poo.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Gutter Phoenix posted:

So far, so good!

Please give us a report when you've read it!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Gutter Phoenix posted:

So far, so good!

I just realised that she photoshopped herself into that picture and it wasn't some heirloom snapshot that she had taken while she was working for them.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The modern luggage is wigging me out.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

~Coxy posted:

I just realised that she photoshopped herself into that picture and it wasn't some heirloom snapshot that she had taken while she was working for them.

The background is also a drawing. And she presumably would have been much younger when she was with them.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
So lately I've developed a minor obsession with old Penguin Classics "black spine" paperbacks from the '60s and '70s. I don't know if this line has an official name, but I go thrifting pretty often and I pick these up every time I find them if they're in readable shape. They're usually quite cheap (often under $2.) Something about them just tickles my brain, and they're pretty well-built, so in spite of their age they tend to hold up fairly well getting knocked around in my backpack while I read them. They use a lot of classical art for their covers, so I also end up seeing a lot of cool pieces I didn't know.

There are a few orange spine ones as well -- these seem to be reserved for either specifically English classics and non-fiction. The mint green ones are "modern" classics, although they're rather less modern now than they were.

The one that kicked off this obsession is this insanely hosed up copy of Don Quixote:

This one did an extended tour of duty in my backpack because this book is long as hell. It's basically crumbling to pieces now and the covers have, but for two pieces of packing tape I applied, made a desperate attempt to separate themselves from the book. The corners have entirely rounded, the pages are a lovely shade of toast, and it smells like a musty library, and everything about it made for a wonderfully cozy reading experience for someone who generally prefers books in better physical condition and has historically avoided trade paperback prints. I think most of all I love the art on the cover, "Don Quixote" by Daumier, a perfect representation of the character of the Don, not least of which because he gets his face hosed up every six pages or so. I loved it so much that I bought a second copy for an eventual re-read because I don't think this one will survive a second. This copy has even deteriorated a bit in the three years since I've read it simply from being on the shelf.

I am very much looking forward to reading Gargantua and Pantagruel, and that's probably the most prized one I've yet found, since it's in near perfect condition, almost untouched, aside from a loose title and publisher page, which I will have to figure out how to reinforce without mucking it up too much (I suspect the front cover binding will start to deteriorate too, so I'm being careful with it.)

Yesterday I picked up an orange spine copy of Charles Reich's "The Greening of America" (as far as I can tell, a British printing, interestingly enough)

A book from the late '60s/early '70s describing the cultural revolution and its malcontents, presenting a very optimistic picture of the potential of the Baby Boomers to affect positive, utopian change both at home and abroad, and, to my Millennial eyes, a crushingly depressing survey of a movement's catastrophic failure to thrive. In my skimming of the book, much of it looks like it could have been written today, describing in lucid detail many of the same problems that the current left-youth rail against, in terms often just as dire, a sort of "look where we're headed" klaxon with the added benefit of still believing sincerely that there is something to be done about it, and that there will be.

Incidentally, reading things like this is a big part of why I get so irked by the "Boomers ruined everything" memes that rage on the internet nowadays, not so much because I believe their failures don't deserve credit, but moreso because there's the implication in all of it that we are fundamentally different, and that given all of their opportunities, we would not have done the same, because reading these things out of context I think one could be forgiven for assuming that they're describing the 2010s as much as the 1960s, which is to say that for all of the failures of our parents, we are not faring much better, and I fear that history is going to look back on subsequent generations as poorly as we do on them.

I think I'm going to try to give this one a thorough reading if I can stomach it. I used to absorb 60s counterculture writing readily when I was a teen and in my 20s, but as time goes on it gives the same feeling that I get driving through a Midwestern countryside town and seeing all the dilapidated barns and rotting farmhouses poised on lush farmland that is now owned and maintained by a giant agribusiness. Decay is hard to look at for too long.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Penguin classics are so fuckin' good. I have a ton of them. They always have decent translations and plenty of notes, which are often helpful, and lead me to discover other bizarre obscurities.

Edit:

Also, Gargantua and Pantagruel is one of my all time favorites!!!

I learned a lot from Rabelais. Also Voltaire. And Cervantes.

Classical literature is fun and wonderful.

I also like reading those old "where the world is heading if we don't fix poo poo" books. I have a bunch of them. Utopian and Dystopian fiction and non-fiction are both a lot of fun.

People are people, and labels like "Boomer" or "Millennial" are silly. Don't just blame other people for the world's problems. Start working to fix them. Otherwise you have no business complaining.

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Apr 14, 2022

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Come for the great prices on socks, stay for the blessings of sweet liberty!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

That looks awesome!!!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Making out with Hitler, feeling Hitler's luscious rear end & tits

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Wow!!!!!

Well, I guess I'll just have to track down a copy of that then. It sounds relatable.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix posted:

There was a copy of this on ebay recently, but it sold for $80, which is too rich for my blood these days. I need a better paying job. Or cheaper van books to buy. LOL!!!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
(Beach Party)

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Neon Noodle posted:

(Beach Party)

(Fast, Loose, and Lovely)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

[everything about it]

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Lol this is a crazy book. Hitler has his brain transplanted into a hot countess in the bunker right before "he" kills himself and then the protagonist gets involved in 70s Franco Spain, there's a compound where all the Nazis are hiding hot Hitler and the protagonist has sex with him before realizing the sexy Countess is actually Hitler!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Lol this is a crazy book. Hitler has his brain transplanted into a hot countess in the bunker right before "he" kills himself and then the protagonist gets involved in 70s Franco Spain, there's a compound where all the Nazis are hiding hot Hitler and the protagonist has sex with him before realizing the sexy Countess is actually Hitler!

Dear Penthouse,

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Heath posted:

Dear Penthouse,

The narrator gets the story sitting on a park bench from the protagonist, and then some orderlies come up and take him back to the mental hospital!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Well thanks a lot for spoiling it. I guess I'll cancel my order.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Well thanks a lot for spoiling it. I guess I'll cancel my order.

Now I only want to read it more!!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Now I only want to read it more!!

It's a great gonzo novel!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Make money wrestling the police in your spare time!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

In a different America this would be anti-antivaxxer propaganda

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

In a different America this would be anti-antivaxxer propaganda

Good thing anti-vaxxers don't read!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013