Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I'm honestly surprised Lala didn't get a portrait in royal. Oyaha's S Link mas well be called "Oyaha & Lala"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Lala deserves a raise.

Also, update on the previous page.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

rannum posted:

I'm honestly surprised Lala didn't get a portrait in royal. Oyaha's S Link mas well be called "Oyaha & Lala"

Most of us wouldn't be ready for the majesty of Lala's portrait.
It'd be the image version of the speech from this Dr. McNinja page.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

Anyway, if we head over to the library, we can pick up Speed Reader now. This isn’t due to us having finished all the other available books, for the record. It just unlocks naturally after 6/31. Much easier than the laborious process to get it in the original game.

It is a much appreciated change as in the base game it just seemed like a cruel joke as by the time you actually read the book you would have already read almost everything in the game.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

Arist posted:

Anyway, if we head over to the library, we can pick up Speed Reader now. This isn’t due to us having finished all the other available books, for the record. It just unlocks naturally after 6/31. Much easier than the laborious process to get it in the original game.

Wait, aren't there only 30 days in June?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

uh oops

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

S.D. posted:

Wait, aren't there only 30 days in June?

that's day/month notation

Thruptempruary 6th

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

(Male Host) Here’s what we’ve got for you today! Take a look at this! The Body Building Set! It’s a tough world out there, so be tougher and get those muscles! 1 Imported Protein, 3 Moist Protein, and… 3 Protein! All in one! How fantastic is that!?

Akihiko is doing backflips right now.

"Moist Protein" still sounds so fuckin' gross. I suppose it's supposed to be like protein shakes? Still, what poor wording.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 73: 7/4: The Only Change That Matters (New)

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain (Instrumental Version)

Buckle up, folks. We’re headed back to Mementos, and this one’s gonna be a doozy.

First, we need to confirm our requests.

Let me check our intel… We’ll start with this one first… Apparently the Phantom Thieves inspired a larceny group that steals from shops in Shibuya. On top of that, it seems their leader has been physically abusing his younger brother. We can’t let these people go around tarnishing the Phantom Thieves name.
I must agree, even more so if we are being asked for help. Let us put a stop to this madness.
I’m for doing this too! We need to trigger a change of heart in them.
There are still more. This intel is on a cowardly kid who carries out atrocities using bullies under his control. He’s the one behind that guy Takanashi whose heart we changed before as well. Anyway, it seems like he’s been blackmailing people with videos they don’t want made public.
Sure thing. Let’s break that bastard.
It seems tough, but I think we can accomplish this if you say we can!
There are still more. This intel is on a sadistic student. It sounds like she’s been treating a particular male student as a slave against his will. For example, she’ll give him degrading orders, or berate him in public…
So she’s acting like a dominatrix to a guy who doesn’t want that… That’s horrible. I think we’ll need to whip her heart instead, okay?
Very well. I will go along with this.
There are still more. This intel is on a heinous convenience store manager. Not only does he steal money from the register, but he gets away by blaming his part-timers for it. He probably just does whatever he wants because he owns the store.
Let’s take him down. Even though he owns the place, it’s drat clear what’s right and what’s wrong.
Very well. I will go along with this.

You said that last time, Yusuke.

There are still more. This intel is on a man who’s been abusing his girlfriend. This man named Uchimura has assaulted her countless times. That fortune teller even predicted she’d be badly hurt if left alone. Those fortunes often come true…

Uhhhh….
Yo, ixnay on the fortune stuff, you sound like a lunatic.

Fortunes aside… we can’t let this guy use violence against her! I don’t want her getting hurt. We should change his heart.
I agree. It’s only natural for us to change the heart of a person like that.

Huh? Oh, you’re here too, Makoto. You freaked me out, you’ve been so quiet this whole time.

Okay, it looks like we’re all ready to do this! I already left the calling card at our target’s home.

What? I thought Mishima was responsible for these calling cards.

There are still more. This intel is on an elderly man who’s been harassing people at Harmony Alley in Kichijoji. He snatches people’s orders, picks fights, and causes a scene by claiming he got hit and demanding money…
Man, the list goes on, huh? Sounds like he ain’t nothin’ but a nuisance.
I haven’t actually seen him do anything, but people really seem to be fed up with him. And the more people complain about him, the happier the old man gets.
So his purpose in life is to harm others… His behavior will probably continue to decline if we don’t intervene. I’d say changing his heart is the right course of action.
One more thing. Sounds like he gets severe joint pain on rainy days.

Well, what a coincidence! It’s raining today!

I wonder why he doesn’t just stay at home and behave himself if it’s really that bad…
So he still goes out and hurts people despite all the joint pain…? That’s intense. Okay, let’s change his heart so that he can relax already!
I posted the calling card in Harmony Alley. I’m sure the old man’s seen it by now! No objections, right? Mm… we’re good to go if you’re okay with it. That’s a unanimous decision! Okay, all that’s left now is to take down the target in Mementos!

Jeez, that was a lot. I seriously filled 10% of the post character limit on just what I’ve transcribed so far.

Music: Mementos

Really? It seems the same to—Hold up. It looks like the Nav’s reactin’ to something…

What’s this?
It sounds like we can go further down now. It’s because we made Madarame’s Palace disappear, right?
Most likely… I think.
You seem rather uncertain. How far does this… Mementos run, anyway?
Uhhh… *pause* It’s huge…! Extremely.
You’re always so vague when it comes to the important stuff.

We’ve been over this, dude. The cat talks a big game, but he doesn’t actually understand any of this. At least, not any more than the rest of us.

You’ve got some nerve, you two!
There, there…
I don’t fully understand, but Mementos and the Palaces are related to each other, correct? Then all we must do is continue changing the hearts of evildoers to ascertain its full expanse. I don’t believe there’s a need to quarrel over it.

Oh… Come to think of it, it’s raining today. That might have an effect on Mementos…
That means today’s our chance to get ahead!
Well, I don’t think we can expect the rain to have that much of an impact…
Guess we’ll just have to explore and find out. Let’s go!

Before we do anything else, we’ll head into the Velvet Room.

Music: Aria of the Soul

We never took on that Level 20 Trial Battle, so let’s give it a shot. Though, honestly, I think this is the last one I did in my personal playthrough of this game. I’ll try to keep up more in the future.

So, we need to defeat the enemies in 28 actions while making heavy use of Nuclear and letting Fox get as many finishing blows as possible. We already have Fox and Queen in our party, and Joker has an accessory that lets him use Frei equipped, so we should be good already.

Our rewards are a Silver Lump we can sell for a tidy profit, a Dodge Ice skill card, and finally a Heat Wave Belt, which is an accessory that lets whoever has it equipped use the skill Heat Wave. Let’s give this a shot.

Music: Prison Labor

Oh, right. This is our first battle since getting these Confidant abilities, so we’re going to get a tutorial on them, naturally. Shadow Calculus is completely useless in special battles, though. It shows no information on skills or the (non-existent) item drops whatsoever. Though on the subject of the analysis screen, the game just outright tells you what affinities the Shadows will have, which is nice. Party switching is more useful in theory I suppose, but until we get Togo System and can swap on anyone’s turn, it’s more of a burden to throw Joker’s turn away.

Anyway, the fight. I’m not going to post a video of it because, spoiler alert, I don’t succeed at getting the top prize, but I’ll recap my tactics anyway. There are, as you might expect, quite a few enemies weak to Nuclear here (and only one weak to Ice, meaning we have to be smarter about getting those Fox takedowns by Baton Passing to him and letting a Rising Slash rip). There’s going to be a lot of Baton Passing. A good strategy here is to let Queen knock a Nuke-weak enemy down with Mafrei to maximize the number of x4 Nuke attacks and then just Mafrei again to double up.

Thanks to Fox managing to kill two of the first round’s enemies himself, we end it with a respectable 7,204 score with plenty of time left to make up the rest. Unfortunately, we kill the second round too quickly and Fox doesn’t land any takedowns, leaving us with 10,156 at the end of Round 2. The bonus for finishing within 28 turns is 15k, so we need to get at least 20k by the end to get the top prize for 35k. Part of the problem, honestly, is that I’m using Skull at all outside of hitting weaknesses, because he has no way to inflict Nuclear. He can maybe Shock an enemy and get someone else a Nuke Technical that way, but it’s just thinning the remaining health of the enemies for very little point return.

When it’s just the last enemy in Round 3, a Take-Minakata, I switch Joker’s Persona to Leanan Sidhe and knock it down with Psio, then Baton Pass to Fox for a 506 damage Rising Slash. That’s enough to get my final score to…

Ehhh.

We can do better.

Not very much better, apparently! One more go!

Nice! First try!

If you want to see the successful attempt, here it is.

All right, let’s head into Mementos proper then.

We choose to start from the very first floor and head downward from there because we never collected the two stamps in the first area.

With that out of the way, we can work through our requests.

christ I have so many lockpicks

Ooh, a Hiranya. I’m a bit low on status cure items at the moment, so that’s handy.

After killing a Shadow with Insta-kill, the door to the Velvet Room suddenly appears glowing red, disappearing just as quickly…

Oh, it just means that the Fusion Alarm is active again. Neat.

Music: Desire

That’s the first thing out of his mouth… But it seems like this is the old guy who’s making trouble in Kichijoji!
Nice, I can tell you’re annoyed even with your masks on! That shows how interested you are in me, Heiji Ono, right? Riiight?
…He’s certainly disturbed. Let’s end this, Joker!
Yes, yes, get mad! Look at me, Heiji Ono!

Music: Keeper of Lust

Ow… My body aches! It always hurts like this when it’s raining… but for the sake of causing trouble, I can ignore the pain!

This, if it wasn’t clear, is the reason I ended up delaying this Mementos visit. They so conspicuously mentioned that he gets aches on rainy days that I figured I might as well save fighting him for one. And, wouldn’t you know it…

He has to sit every second turn out because of his debilitating joint pain. Yikes.

And Fox takes him out with a follow-up attack.

Queen learns Energy Shower.

Music: Sunset Bridge

Whenever I’d do something stupid, my family would worry about me. My son usually treats me like I’m worthless, but he would care for me in those times… It felt so good that I started seeking that kind of affection everywhere. I ended up causing so much trouble…
An unfortunate consequence of isolation…
*sniff* I’ve caused so much trouble… How am I supposed to live like this?

You speak with some brutal honesty, kid… But you’re right. I’ll start by making up for what I did.
I’m certain that’s what your family wishes as well. And from now on, instead of taking it out on others, you should communicate your needs directly to your family. Tell them that you’re “lonely” before it’s too late.
…… Yeah, I’ll do that…

We’ve resolved one (1) request… so time to take a break and head to the Velvet Room!

The first thing we’re going to do is create a Godsent Dress from Phoenix. This is a very slight improvement over the non-alarm version of this armor, which has 5 less defense and only gives Magic +4.

The next thing we’re going to do is fuse Setanta from Archangel and Nigi Mitama.

If anyone dares bring you trouble, I’ll gladly choke them to death.

Kinky.

Setanta is the given name of Cu Chulainn, a younger version of the Irish mythological figure who has not yet obtained the name Cu Chulainn by killing Culann’s guard dog in self-defence.

Giant Slice is a good skill, but we don’t have a lot of Gun skills so I still consider this a worthwhile trade.

Then we replace Diarama with Charge.

Next up, Naga from Shiki-Ouji and Rakshasa.

If two of the Personas involved in a fusion have the same Trait, the game will generate a new possible Trait for the recipient Persona to keep the options at 3.

Ah nuts, the guillotine stopped. You know what that means!

I will become your new mask and free your heart from the chains that keep its power in check…

Take-Minakata is one of the sons of Okuninushi who had his arms cut off my Take-Mikazuchi after a big sumo match. Then he ran away and married the goddess Yasakatome, becoming the guardian god of Suwa. Sure, whatever.

You’ll have to take your leave while the equipment undergoes maintenance.

…And I forgot to fuse the alarm result Persona again. poo poo. We’ll do that next time, I swear!

We need to head back into the Velvet Room for a second real quick.

See, we actually have the required Persona for the current Strength request! I didn’t plan this out, it just happened by amazing coincidence! At least, that’s how I vaguely remember it happening, I recorded this almost four months ago. …Four months ago? Christ, I’m going slow.

Heh… Not bad. That’s another one done.

Strength Rank 5: Part 75

This list really is quite magnificent. The tasks are designed to push your strength further and unlock your true potential.
What do you think about their difficulty, Inmate?
Honestly, they’re pretty tough and the only way I can really figure them out is trial-and-error. Please make them easier.
Yep, exactly, they’re perfect!

Oh well. We should give him the next one. Let’s see here…

Wait, wh-what!? I’ve seen this writing before…
The penmanship?
Yeah… I can’t remember where I’ve seen it…
This is your handwriting, actually. It says to “compliment the inmate after he completes his next task—but firmly, like you practiced.”
Not that! Those are my notes!
My, it seems you’ve enjoyed the inmate more than you let on…
Stop loving with me! I obviously mean the handwriting for the tasks!
To be honest, I also feel I’ve seen this handwriting before… and I get a sense of déjà vu just looking at this list. What purpose does this list serve?
Isn’t it to train the inmate? Rehabilitation and what-not.
But that is our master’s goal. If he did not write this list, then what are these tasks for?
There must be some reason we’re doing this. It can’t *just* be mindless busywork for the inmate. Though, that would be pretty funny. If we’re right, the purpose will reveal itself once he completes the whole list, so let’s just wait for now.

…I suppose you have a point. Hearing something logical from you is like a cool rush of air amidst the sweltering heat of summer.
You don’t need to say that!
Now then, let us reward you for successfully completing our task. We will now grant you access to the Special Treatment.
We hereby permit you to create Personas you wouldn’t normally be able to handle! But the catch is, you’ll still have to pay the price for it!
Make sure you use this to the fullest so your rehabilitation comes to fruition. Do not disappoint us.
I feel like my bond with Caroline and Justine is growing deeper…

So, this one’s a surprise. They moved Special Treatment down to Rank 5 from Rank 10, meaning we can fuse above our level that much sooner. It’s still going to cost an arm and a leg, but hey, it’s really handy.

Please note that the next privilege we provide for you will be quite powerful indeed. Therefore, we will require that you complete three tasks before you can receive it.
*chuckle* All right, here’s task number one!

You need only speak with us once you obtain it. We will be able to tell.
See if you can live up to our expectations!

Okay, let’s roll.

Uhhh… Which one was this guy again?
The double bully.
Right, right.

Raaaaaar I’m gonna blackmail people into bullying nerds and there’s nothing you can do about it!

This dude will never get to make good on his threat to vore us, because he goes down like a chump.

Not terribly difficult, this guy.

I’m sowwyyyyy…
Christ, there’s still four more of these to go, huh?

And… this one?
The sadist girl.
Thanks. Wasn’t she like a dominatrix or something?
Yeah, sure, if you wanna get weird about it.

Raaaar I’m incredibly sadistic and controlling!

Music: Keeper of Lust

Here it comes!

Let’s go!

Looks like Queen’s going to knock some sense into Shimizu.

Video: Queen and Skull’s Showtime (Watch this)

We never saw the normal version of this one, so here it is.

Time to get a little crazy!

Stay focused!
Gah, sorry!

Hyaaah!

Go for it!

Haaaaa… ATATATATATATATATA!!!

Hyaaaa!

Skull runs up and hands Queen a… soda?

Thanks, ma’am!

Queen then crushes the can in sync with the Shadow erupting into black goo. Ooze? Gooze.

Yikes!
As if I need it.

Not quite sure what that last bit was about, honestly? I think it’s supposed to be, like, Skull bringing Queen a refreshment after all that strenuous exercise killing the Shadow, and her crushing the can to show she’s still in top form, but it doesn’t quite scan. Still, one of my favorite Showtimes. I’m really glad we got the one where she goes full Kenshiro because the lines can be slightly different and she doesn’t always do the ATATATATATA.

I secretly liked him, but I heard this “tsundere” thing was in vogue so I started just bullying him! It’s weird, I realize now!

This is because more people believe in us now, right?
That has to be it. Now then, let’s get in there!

Woo, let’s go down to the next block!

Music: Mementos – Upper Layer (Listen to this)

Holy poo poo, they fixed Mementos. That’s right kids, Royal actually made it so that more than one track plays for the entirety of Mementos! There’s actually a good handful now, varying depending on how deep you go. It works more like Tartarus now, which if I was saying that about anything else would be a massive problem, but here it’s fine! Hooray!

Anyway, we’re not actually going to hear this track very much, because I’m two-thirds of the way to the character limit with about 90 images worth of commentary to go, so I’m gonna need to blitz through the rest of this. Also because, you know, even improved Mementos is still Mementos and there’s just not a lot to say about most of this!

Looks like it’ll be a new area from here on. I’m starting to understand how this place works…
Yes… It is quite a marvel to find the subway system down here.
Uh, Earth to Yusuke! It’s always been like that.

Codenames, goddammit!

Uhhh…
It’s the shop manager who was stealing and blackmailing his subordinates.

I loooooooove embezzlement!
Your racket is honestly a little small-time to be called “embezzlement,” you’re just, like, stealing from the register. Also, you’re drawing a lot of attention to yourself by involving your employees. Sloppy work all around.
I’ll show you!

I’ll give you three guesses how this goes for this dude.

What? No. Of course not, you idiot. You were blackmailing people.

4 down, two to go. Man, these are blending together…

Music: Mementos – Upper Layer

New area, new stamps.

The last floor had seven areas, but the one before that only had two, right?
I suppose it varies, depending on the location…
Guess that means it ain’t easy to tell how much of a floor we got left to cover, huh?
That’s right. We won’t know how many areas are on a floor until we make it to the end. But judging by the vibe I’m getting from the Shadows… this floor isn’t any smaller than the last.

Sweet, a Jose floor.

Hey mister, is that a crystal you’ve got there? Lemme see it!

And then put that there… Nice!

Here you go, mister. Let me know if you find any others like it, okay? Learning about warped cognitions also teaches me about humans.

We’ll get to what this thing does in a moment.

A new area of Mementos opened up, so I went around and gathered more stuff to trade. Hopefully I got something you like, mister.

Music: Have a Short Rest

From his current selection, we’ll take one each (the maximum he’ll let us buy of those in a single visit) of the transmutation items Model Gun and Black Robe. We still have about seventy flowers left after that, so we’ll need to spend the rest before we leave. I’ll save up just in case I want something bigger, though.

We’re also going to put one point into Item Rewards Up, increasing the multiplier from x3 to x4.

So, the Ring of Gluttony is kind of absurd. The Crystal of Gluttony’s original skill, Marakukaja, has been replaced by Vault Guardian, which has a passive effect of straight-up repelling one non-Almighty attack for the entire party. This effect is applied automatically at the start of battle. I’m not the biggest fan of the Tetrakarn/Makarakarn family of Repel skills, but even I can see that this thing is kinda ridiculous, even if you can’t reapply the effect. Vault Guardian, for what it’s worth, can also apply the Marakukaja effect, and for 4 SP less than that skill normally costs.

Open another locked chest, get an Exorcism Water.

Are we still doing “Phrasing”?

Fox learns a new skill. In Persona 5 vanilla, this was Mind Slice, which inflicted Confuse, but they replaced it with Dormin Rush, which inflicts Sleep.

Ryuji, this is the guy who was going to put his girlfriend in the hospital.
I remember this one!

poo poo! I’m out of money! Because I am a cartoon villain, I will respond to this with domestic violence!
Hey, uh… don’t beat your girlfriend.
Huh? Where do you get off, lecturing me!? Don’t you know how hard I work? She loves it, anyway!

He literally says “Beating her is a right that only I have! I’ll have you know that she loves it too!” in the script here, because this game… is not subtle.

Uh yeah, I’m sure, dude.

Again: Not subtle.

Mona learns Garula, which we slot in to replace Dia.

I’m superior! I’m the ultimate lifeform!

This is one of the only Shadows in the game to show zero remorse. It’s an interesting perspective that some people are just so twisted that they don’t even understand what they’re doing is wrong, but… it’s also pretty concerning! What’s the effect of the change of heart actually going to be here?

And now we’re skipping straight to the last one.

I started doing recreational breaking and entering because I hate my brother so much!
What? I don’t understand your story at all, the motivation here seems a little thin. You have like, a pamphlet or something properly explaining your deal?
Why, yes! Please buy my overpriced backstory explanation on Blu-ray so you can witness the riveting tale of a guy with an extremely melodramatic inferiority complex!
Will it help me understand any of this?
Not in any way that matters!

I did not terribly care for THE DAY BREAKERS.

Huh? Oh, right, this guy summons help.

Gonna be honest with you guys, none of the combat in this update required anything of me. I might as well have literally fallen asleep holding the controller and been pressing random buttons every twenty minutes due to unconscious contractions in the muscles of my hands.

Did my brother… send you to do this?
What? Uh, I think? I don’t actually remember the details, we got this one a while ago.
He does care about me… Take this key and give it to him. Tell him to get rid of the stuff in the chest in my room. Burn it if he wants.
Uggghhh, more errands…

God, even the reward for this one is just a useless bullshit tie-in to the OVA.

I’ll sneak it into his brother’s house.
What? Is his first reaction when finding a strange key to stick it in every lock in his home? Is his life Dark Souls?

I’ve been wondering, is there a possibility that we will find our own Shadows within Mementos?
That’s not possible. Our Shadows are always by our sides, remember?
Oh, right… Our Personas…
Acknowledging, facing, and becoming able to wield your own Shadow is what makes you a Persona-user. That’s why we can’t have Palaces. It’s also why our Shadows can’t exist in other people’s Palaces.
Uh, but we saw Panther’s Shadow over in Kamoshida’s Palace.
Hey, that thing was NOT mine!
That was just a cognition formed by Kamoshida’s mind. It was nothing like Panther’s actual Shadow.
So wielding a Persona involves acknowledging one’s Shadow… Considering that fact, Joker’s abiity to control multiple Personas is truly special.
Right? That just proves my judgment of him was correct!
Uh, you were real surprised too when it happened…

That’s just a neat little side conversation I wanted to show off, even if I’m rapidly running out of space in this update.

Another locked chest, this one with a Snuff Soul.

Our goal may be close.

Another fusion alarm, nice.

Don’t ask questions you don’t want the answers to.

Unfortunately, upon reaching the final floor of this block of Mementos, we’re missing a stamp. This bodes poorly for future blocks, because you know that the number of stamps per block is only going to increase.

Hm? Is it not opening?
I guess we’ll need to get more of the public to accept us…
So that means we’re still not so popular, huh…?
Oh… Is that a surprise?
Yes, perhaps somewhat…
She was askin’ me!

Thankfully, when we return to the previous floor, we find not only the final stamp, but Jose as well. This time, we buy the Black Kotagana, an Ambergris MA, and all the Blank Cards we can afford. Which is seven.

We also use our whopping ten stamps to boost the parameters of Mementos. Still almost certainly going to save the EXP scaling for as late as I can because I don’t want to break the level curve.

Well, that’s all we needed to do today in Mementos. But before we go, we should really take care of that fusion alarm.

The first thing we fuse will be Sudama from Obariyon and Anzu.

I’ll be your mask, man! I’m gonna stop skulking around!

Sudama are mischevious mountain and river spirits from Japanese folklore that dwell in old trees and rocks. They’re not evil, nor do they cause trouble, so I’m kind of left wondering how they got labeled “mischevious,” but whatever.

Looks like Snap and Lucky Punch are about to change. I’ll allow it.

Ooh, Double Shot and Miracle Punch are both straight upgrades over Snap and Lucky Punch. Nice work.

Next up, we’re going to make Fuu-Ki from the Sudama we just fused and Take-Minakata. Now, we’re fusing an alarm result Persona, so this should get wild.

Guillotine stopped again…

Here comes the chainsaw…

Oh! Izanagi Picaro! …Oh. Izanagi Picaro. When I had already promised myself I wouldn’t use any of the DLC Personas because they’re all loving busted. Dammit.

Anyway, Izanagi is a creator deity in Japanese mythology. He and his sister-wife (that is the literal term Wikipedia is using here, goddammit ancient cultural oral traditions, be less creepy) Izanami are in the middle of something of a tiff at the moment, mostly because Izanami is dead, so Izanami is killing 1000 people and Izanagi is giving birth to 1500 more every day. You probably recognize Izanagi and this design in particular because it’s the Persona 4 protagonist’s starting Persona in that game. I don’t know what the relevance of “Picaro” is, I think it’s just a recolor to pad out the DLC while being a reference to the word “picaresque.”

I don’t know what people were talking about, this doesn’t seem that wei—

Oh. For the record, I did not choose to make that happen, it happened on its own.

Now, if you look at these skills, you might notice they seem very… intentional. This skill list is clearly designed to maximize a specific skill interaction. That’s what happens when you fuse an alarm result Persona. The resulting accident (YOU WERE AN ACCIDENT!!!) gets all of its skills replaced with a new “build.” I don’t know if each potential accident has one specific “build” it can change to, but this one is designed around inflicting the Shock status ailment as often as possible, then capitalizing on that with a Nuclear Technical. Even its Trait, which increases the chance of inflicting Shock to downed foes, contributes to this.

Gee, you think?

Well… it’s complicated, Caroline? It’s not not useful, it’s actually kind of so ridiculously useful in a way I wasn’t ready for that I really can’t use it or I’ll gently caress with the balance. You understand.

Well, we have to fix all the equipment now, so get outta here! Go!

Well, that’s gonna do it for this update, then. I honestly cannot believe I fit all this into one post.

Arist fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 4, 2022

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Arist posted:

Queen then crushes the can in sync with the Shadow erupting into black goo. Ooze? Gooze.

oo

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

That... sure looks like a one-trick Persona, yep

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
I think my favorite fusion alarm skillset is the one that maximizes Fear, the way this one maximizes Shock. Didn't know you could fuse up the DLCs from them, though!

(Also, Mementos Upper Layer is an absolute jam of a track, and it ended up in all my relevant game playlists the moment I got wind of P5R's OST dropping on Spotify.)

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
We can't talk about my favorite Mementos track yet, but Arist is right that this did a lot to break up the monotony of this place. We haven't quite retired from "da da da, da da da da" yet, but it is used more like leitmotif than theme, and some of the things that are done with it are really, really good down the line. So I do recommend listening top the tracks to see how they develop, if you are able.

And... yeah, I feel your if-not-pain-then-mild-annoyance at that Persona, because i tried to avoid the DLC stuff too for the same reason, because jesus, it is so broken. Some parts of SMT are really hard in a way that isn't called for, so a helping hand here and there isn't a bad idea, but come on now.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

The last thing you see before you die.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

SMaster777 posted:

I think my favorite fusion alarm skillset is the one that maximizes Fear, the way this one maximizes Shock. Didn't know you could fuse up the DLCs from them, though!

The first one I ever got was built for maximizing critical hits and baton passes. Carried me through two full dungeons.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

Ann, we’re about fifty yards away from where we just standing.

How would a high school student in Japan have a sense for imperial units? Also I think this sentence is missing a word.

Arist posted:

Well… it’s complicated, Caroline? It’s not not useful, it’s actually kind of so ridiculously useful in a way I wasn’t ready for that I really can’t use it or I’ll gently caress with the balance. You understand.

Well you could always change the difficulty to Merciliess to bring things back to balance.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

He's really into American football.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 74: 7/4-7/6: Poster Boy

After School → Evening

Music: Beneath the Mask

Yep, it went perfectly! Nice work as always!
…All this stuff about family had me worried about Yusuke, but it looks like things worked out okay.

What did any of this have to do with Yusuke?

I’m kind of happy too.

>Oh, is it already time for us to pointlessly worry about what if *this time* it’s all going to poo poo? Because if it is I’m going to jump out a window.
You are acting too relaxed. Just because they took in Kaneshiro does not mean that the mafia itself will disband.
Right. If someone else got ahold of the photos, we might have further problems.
>You guys are jumping at shadows. Kaneshiro already told you he got rid of the photographs, and even assuming his arrest doesn’t completely gently caress up their operations, wasn’t he trying to extort you directly? There’s no guarantee his cronies even know how to contact you oh poo poo wait I just thought of something
What is it?
>You said your sister and her team were the ones who took Kaneshiro into custody, right? What if she finds out you’re involved?
But… he got rid of the pictures…
>He must have some ledger or something where he keeps track of his blackmail targets, though. Your number is also likely in his phone. Or what if Kaneshiro, remorseful from his change of heart, just *tells* her about blackmailing you? It’s not implausible, we already know that he knows you’re related!
You’re right, that is worrying. What are we going to do about this?
>Uhhh…
>Oh! I’ve got it. We’ll hide under some coats and hope that somehow, everything will work out.
Why do I even ask…?

There’s the incenses we ordered.

More Thieves’ Den unlocks. We’ll head in there soon, promise.

(Sharp Detective) …I meant “dying message.”
(Suspect) Was that a Freudian slip just now, defective—I mean, Detective?
Oof, that was brutal… Even that hard-boiled detective flinched when he heard that.

We’re going to read Speed Reader, which will let us just chew through books in the future.

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

Woah, that’s a pretty scientific approach. At least the illustration makes it easier to understand.

You started flipping pages much faster towards the middle, so I thought you were skipping parts. I can already see that you’re able to read with more efficiency now!

Anon: if ur so good, show ur face

Early Morning

By the way, Kaneshiro’s deadline is this weekend, isn’t it? His change of heart draws near…

Okay, Yusuke, first off: the deadline is arbitrary. It’s just been a massive, bullshit coincidence that both times so far the change of heart has coincided with the exact day it needed to happen by for our purposes. Second, he already had a change of heart. He turned himself into the police. I’m not sure what else you want to happen here.

The Phantom Thieves will be even more renowned than before when this goes public.

If we get any credit at all, you mean. The cops sure aren’t gonna want us getting linked to this arrest, so we’ll only have word-of-mouth from people who saw the posters.
Hmm, I suppose. Even still, we should prepare for an influx of requests just in case.

I think we should take care of all the cases we have now, while we still have the chance.

Yusuke, we did that yesterday. What the gently caress are you talking about?

Early Morning → After School

Music: Tokyo Emergency

Let’s talk to Ann again today.

Oh, do you want to go somewhere? If you have the time, I mean.

Unfortunately, Ann isn’t ready to rank up, and we haven’t even started Chihaya’s Confidant yet, let alone unlocked Affinity Reading, so we can’t just pay to raise Ann’s Confidant affinity. That’s a problem, because it means if we want to increase Ann’s Confidant rank, we’ll have to wait quite a bit to not waste a day, which is a problem.

Now, I say it’s a “problem,” and that it would be a “waste” of a day, but… that’s not actually true. Because there’s something very, very important we can actually accomplish by spending time with Ann today, and our other options aren’t that much more appealing, so we’re going to do it anyway.

Hm, what should we do today?

Okay! Where should we go?

This part is vital. It absolutely must be Harajuku.

Even just going for the people watching is interesting. Anyway, let’s go!

Music: What’s Going On?

But all the people are such a pain… What gives them the right to be here!?

You know, Ann, we are also people who are here.

Anyway, let’s get through quickly so we don’t get caught by the salespeople!

A bit later…

In any case, there are so many different types of people here. It’s fun just watching them. People might think I’m weird if they see me staring at them alone…

As opposed to when you do it as a group and they just think you’re in a cult.

But I’m sure it’s fine as long as I’m with you.

And I mean, things are half as fun if you don’t have anyone to share that fun with, right? I wonder what all these people are thinking about right now… Some of them might even be sad beneath those happy exteriors, and we’d never even know… Hey, don’t you get fired up when you’re thinking about helping them out!? Oh, um… never mind. That’s not what we were talking about…

Are you interested in this stuff? You can have it if you want.

SCORE! Got what we came for, folks!

Oh, that’s right, I have something Ann might like…

Normally I wouldn’t even bother with the gifts but I can tell Ann’s still not ready to rank up from the way the notes (failed to) sparkle earlier.

Wow, that’s so thoughtful… Thank you.

All right, we’ve sorted that out.

After School → Evening

There’s a laundromat next to the bathhouse, right? If we’ve got spare time, maybe we could wash them.

Yeah, how about no?

(Newscaster) Today, we’ll be sharing the story of a woman who was a victim of such fraud. After she was scammed out of her money, she became emotionally unstable.
Emotionally unstable? Those scammers are relentless…

Let’s head upstairs. We’ve got important business to take care of up there.

HELL. YES. It’s looking lively in here between the plant and the poster! What else could you want!?

(Besides the chocolate fountain, of course, but I’m not sure we’re going to be able to swing that one because it requires a different outing with Ann when she can’t rank up. Man, Ann gives all the good decorations, huh?)

I’m just gonna stand here and look at this thing for hours like I’m Steve Carell.

What do you think? Wanna hear more?

We’re not going to hang out with Mishima tonight, but it’s good to remember that we can again now that we’ve taken care of his latest request.

We’re going to spend tonight unlocking Chihaya’s Confidant instead.

Fine, let’s hear it. Please sit down.

Fortune Rank 1: Part 68

Wait, you’re saying you did it!? Her boyfriend stopped abusing her?
Yep. Though, now that I think about it, she did seem to have some fairly pronounced dependency issues. Probably would have been better to get out of that relationship entirely even if the dude is no longer going to beat her.
I can’t believe this! No, wait, I *don’t* believe this. That’s the word I was looking for. Even if you somehow got him to stop, her fate shouldn’t have changed. A miserable future still awaits her!
You seem rather upset that I saved a woman from abuse. Were you that invested in being right?

I mean… look!

What!? The sequence of arcana has completely changed! “Death” has moved far off into the future…

Not to toot my own horn, but I know a thing or two about tarot and that’s not what the Death arcana signifies…
Shut the gently caress up. Who’s the fortune teller here? That’s right, it’s me.

Nrgh… No, no, no! This must be some sort of trick. What are you, a scam artist? You made a deal with her boyfriend or something, didn’t you?

What are you even proposing I did here? Do you think I, like… paid her boyfriend to abuse her? What the gently caress is wrong with you? Also, pretty weak fortune-telling if it’s that easily deceived.

Then what did you do? Did you plunge him into Tokyo Bay, or cram him into a metal drum and dump insects on him? You must’ve taken some sort of extreme measures!

*furiously taking notes* Wait, were those options!?
Hmm… You don’t seem to be lying… But it’s impossible for you to have changed her fate… especially without breaking the law. How could an ordinary high school student…?

…Fine. I’m just going to have to verify your power. The very power that reversed my tarot card prediction!

Wait, what?

This is quite a serious situation for a fortune teller like me. I need to get to the bottom of this.

Do I get a say in this?
No. Don’t worry though, it’s easy. Just sit here while I read fortunes and I’ll test your power to defy fate.
Hmm… And what does this job pay…?
I’ll read your fortune.
Oh, sweet. Score. All the fortunes I want for free. What a sweet loving deal for me. Christ, this sucks.
Oh, they’re not free. You still have to pay for them.
Even better!
Pleeeeeeeeeeease! I need this! I can’t go on not knowing if fate can be changed…
Ugggggghhhhh. Fiiiiiiiiine. Just stop nagging me.

You will? Really? OK then, I look forward to verifying your “skills”! Please don’t blow me off, OK? We made a deal, after all.
I’ve made a deal with Chihaya…

Music: Interrogation Room

You must’ve been pretty lucky to elude the police so consistently.
I mean, considering everything I’ve already told you about our methods, not really. Sorry, where’s this going?
Or maybe it was more than just luck. Maybe you consulted someone who gave you advice and forewarning. Isn’t that right!?
Wait, what the gently caress!? Are you asking if I know any wizards???

Music: The Spirit

Is fate… really something that can be changed? If it’s really possible, then… ……

Um… You okay?

Oh, it’s getting late! Let’s close up shop for today. It’s past your curfew…

I’ll be contacting you soon, so please come for the verification test, okay?

Sorry for taking up so much of your time. Please be careful on your way home.

Anon: i dont buy into that stuff.

Morning

Music: My Homie

*intercom bell*
(Woman’s Voice) Um… Mr. Inui, please come to the faculty office at once.
Oh? …I’m going to the faculty office, so make sure you take this time to study.

So, what’s the plan?

Let’s read in double-time.

This isn’t making any sense to me. Does the author even understand what they’re saying…?

I’m getting information overload… *groan* I’m sure you gained a lot of intelligence from that.

Maaku gains Knowledge +3.

Sweet, we ranked up.

Phew, that was close. Kawakami helped up get a good chunk of free time though!

Morning → After School

Music: Layer Cake

Let’s make a brief stop over at Untouchable to sell our haul from Mementos.

Other than that, we really just buy Ryuji some new armor.

You hear about it? It’s called the Tarantula. People made a big deal about it, but the rapid-fire mechanism was too complex for a model version… Until now! They’re finally making one! I’ve waited for this for so long! It’s been so long, I almost tried making it myself! But no, I don’t have the skills for that. I can’t wait to have my own Tarantula! Man, being patient is rougb.

We’re going to spend today working at the flower shop.

Instead of bouquets happening every other workday like in the original game, now it’s only on Wednesdays and Saturdays where you’ll be asked to make bouquets.

I’ll be having you choose the flowers for the bouquets too. I might even bump up your pay if the customer really likes your arrangement!

Music: Everyday Days

This request is for large, brightly-colored flowers. I bet light colors or white would even work too.

There’s our three.

Well, here’s your pay for today! I gave you a little bonus because of how well you did!

This is the most unrealistic depiction of bosses in history. Giving me a bonus? For doing a good job? Ridiculous!

Maaku gains Kindness +3.

After School → Evening

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain-

(Newscaster) As before, the ISP has confirmed that this was the result of an external attack. After examining the methods used, it’s likely the attack was by an anonymous hacking group.
An attack by hackers? Does this kind of thing happen often around here?

We need to grab a Star Persona for Hifumi, so we’re heading into the Velvet Room real quick. Also, Justine is outside because there’s an outing with the twins available.

To free up room, we’re going to fuse this Pisaca from Orthrus and Isis.

You look kinda delicious, but I guess I can pass on eating you since I’m your new mask and all…

Pisaca are demonic creatures that devour human meat, especially corpses. They are believed to be the physical incarnation of will-o’-the-wisps, and the origin of their names is believed to have come from the demonization of Hindu tribes by the Aryan people, oh wow, okay, jeez.

Okay, that’ll do. Let’s head to the church.

Music: Time to Repent

Do you remember our promise? You become my playing partner so that I can research new moves… In order to do so, I would like you to start off by learning the basics of shogi.

What!? B-But I already know how to play! Haha, right?
……
Not foolin’ ya, huh?

Would you like to play a match?

Well then, I look forward to the match.

Star Rank 2: Part 64

Music: Wicked Plan

Why waste your final moments in futile defiance?
Uhhhhhh…
Weary wanderer—you’ve no fight left to fight! No life left to live!
We’re in a church. There’s people, like… praying and poo poo next to us. Please stop yelling.

Awaken, dragon! Let your shadowy hellfire consume them all! Dark Inferno Rook!

Rise up in madness and fury! Devour the vermin infesting the land which is rightfully ours!
This got really weird all of a sudden and it’s making me kind of uncomfortable…

With an incompetent king, a soldier cannot show his true bravery. Time for you to suffer!

I summon forth the forbidden move that shall bring your end… Ultimate Excalibur Attack! …Check.

I drain 1500 of your life points, sending you directly to the Shadow Realm.

This is some hardcore chuunibyou bullshit and I’m eating it up. Though as this Confidant progresses I’m most likely going to rapidly run out of things to reference.

I’m just going to assume you’re talking about the whole *everything* that was just going on. So, uh… what’s up with that, eh?

It’s an embarrassing habit I have. During a match, I, um… I tend to get very aggressive. It’s as if I assume the role of a queen of a kingdom…

Eh, I’ve seen weirder rituals. I knew a guy once who the night before exams just *had* to—wait, nevermind, I can’t actually tell that story here, it’s absolutely filthy. But anyway, don’t worry about that habit. It’s, uh… endearing, let’s say.
R-Really? You’re so strange…

My father had me do image training exercises when I was younger, to help me learn the rules… I gradually began to view the shogi board as if it were my own kingdom… I had fun coming up with stories and strategies for my, um, subjects…

Not gonna lie, that’s completely fuckin’ adorable.

However… I’ve heard that people make fun of me on the internet.

They say I’m weird, or some otaku, or just that I’m crazy… And they’re not totally wrong, are they? I agree with them, even. I’m definitely weird.
Yeah, it’s tough dealing with people badmouthing you online. I mean, uh, wouldn’t know anything about that! But you should really have more confidence. Your odd habit has gotten you this far, hasn’t it? Embrace it.

Your positivity is… a welcome relief. I may be able to learn more from our matches than I thought.
I can sense a deep bond of trust from Hifumi…

Absolutely had to grab this shot of Maaku stretching his fingers here. It’s just so weird to me for basically no reason.

Do you read weekly magazines…?

Do I *read* them? *begins staring off into the distance, suddenly filled with melodramatic melancholy* No… I suppose I don’t…
Oh… Well, then it’s not importa—
*completely back to normal* I do enjoy the pictures, though! Why’d you bring it up?

Um, well, I’m doing a photoshoot for one…

I sense there’s a problem. You don’t want to?

You’re quite perceptive…

I just didn’t want you to be surprised if you saw it on a newsstand, so I wanted to let you know.

In all honesty, I’m very reluctant to do it… But… if I can draw more attention to shogi, maybe the sport will become more popular… At least, that’s how I’m justifying it to myself…

Oh, Hifumi. You’re so wonderfully naïve.

I have an interview scheduled for tonight as well, so let’s end here for today…
I feel like playing shogi with Hifumi has helped sharpen my Knowledge

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

Until our next match. Goodbye…

For that event, we chose options 1 (+2), 1, 3 (+2).

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

God I love Sae's dumb interview questions. You can tell they didn't know how to use the framing device to introduce most of these confidants but the decision must have been final because some of them are stretches.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
It all really does suggest that the protagonist is fully aware of the meta-benefits to hanging out with this gaggle of weirdos. Like some of them are a stretch to imagine wanting to be around at first without getting the 'thou art thee art thou here's extra magic powers for being social you shut in'

I mean Chihaya, of course. Hifumi's magical kingdom is worth suffering church a bit for.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

I drain 1500 of your life points, sending you directly to the Shadow Realm.

This is some hardcore chuunibyou bullshit and I’m eating it up. Though as this Confidant progresses I’m most likely going to rapidly run out of things to reference.

I am here for it. I was about to make a Yu-Gi-Oh reference myself if you did not.

Drakenel posted:

It all really does suggest that the protagonist is fully aware of the meta-benefits to hanging out with this gaggle of weirdos. Like some of them are a stretch to imagine wanting to be around at first without getting the 'thou art thee art thou here's extra magic powers for being social you shut in'

I mean Chihaya, of course. Hifumi's magical kingdom is worth suffering church a bit for.

The big nose does explain the concept explicitly. In other Persona games, it is made clear that the protagonists can hear the ballad of friendship.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh, hey. It's the two-year anniversary of me starting this LP. And we're... 74 updates in. Oh god.

I was planning on putting out an update to commemorate the occasion, but it's not looking like I'll finish it by tonight, because I've been absolutely swamped lately. If not today, then hopefully tomorrow. I'll likely have more time in May, and I'll eventually finish 13 Sentinels at... some point, so maybe things'll pick up then. Fingers crossed. Just wanted to say, thanks for sticking with this for as long as you have.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 75: 7/7-7/8: Mental Break

Early Morning

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

Kaneshiro’s deadline is drawing near. We did all we could. I hope we can avoid problems now…

ARSÈNE: [Medium: Success] Something breaks in you upon hearing the words “we did all we could.” How many times have you already had this exact conversation? How many more times will you be forced to relive it? No more! No more reassuring these nattering imbeciles! You can feel your personality splitting from the strain, each of your Personas forcing their way to the surface…
SUDAMA: Woo! Let’s have some fun!
NUE: Me tired. No yelling…
LEANAN SIDHE: Hello, everybody. I’m the uncomfortably horny one. Nice to meet you all.
SETANTA: Hey, you. Human. Why haven’t you read the new One Piece chapter yet? I need to use your eyes to read it and I don’t want to get spoiled first.
PISACA: I’m hungry…
TAKE-MINAKATA: I wanna fight something, but I don’t have any arms. Please let me use yours, human.
NIGI MITAMA: Let’s all settle down, now…
KIN-KI: Please don’t make fun of my name. I’m very sensitive about it.
KODAMA: Hey, man. Sorry about all the noise. I’m pretty chill, though, we’ll get along great.
IZANAGI PICARO: Curious. The disparate mental archetypes of this vessel appear to have balkanized. My *old* master would never have let this happen, hmph.

*nose bleeding*
…Are you all right?

Early Morning → Morning

Music: So Boring

SUDAMA: School!? Booooooooring!

Shhh.

Not like that means I’ll put up bamboo decorations and write my wish on a piece of paper though. I’m not feeling it this year.

LEANAN SIDHE: Curious. This is the teacher who visits you in the fetish costume, correct? She seems so… dowdy at the moment.

Oh, but there’s a traditional food associated with Tanabata, just like chocolate for Valentine’s Day. All right, Takamaki-san. Tell me, what is traditional Tanabata food? I’ll give you a hint—it’s based on a certain motif in Tanabata’s myth…

Huh!? Oh, uh, yeah! I mean—
Hey, Lady Ann is obviously panicking! Be a good guy and help her out!

Sorry, Maaku. Help me out…!

SETANTA: The girl is in need of rescue. Assist her!
PISACA: Have you tried solving the problem through cannibalism?
NUE: No eat corpse.
PISACA: Then I’m all out of ideas.
NIGI MITAMA: Just answer the question.

LEANAN SIDHE: Ooh, star-crossed lovers!

NIGI MITAMA: Are these really the only three things that popped into your mind? Well, of these, it seems most likely to be the Milky Way.
NUE: Maybe answer—
KODAMA: Sorry, buddy, but I don’t think that the traditional food of Tanabata is a candy bar.

Oh yeah! They gotta cross the Milky Way to get to each other! So if the traditional food is something inspired by the Milky Way…

IZANAGI PICARO: What the gently caress are these options!? Are you an idiot!?
SETANTA: I know a few of these words.
PISACA: I prefer rotting flesh, myself.
ARSÈNE: You’re pretty sure the answer is “soumen noodles,” but only because it’s the only thing that’s both Japanese and not literal candy.
KIN-KI: Anyone else think it’s weird that the devil magician guy is talking here? He’s not one of the Trickster’s masks right now.
SUDAMA: Yeah, butt out! This is our show!
ARSÈNE: I am always with him. Just say “soumen noodles.”

Yeah, I could see that! The Milky Way’s like a long white bundle of them, right? The traditional food of Tanabata’s gotta be soumen noodles!

The traditional food for Tanabata is soumen noodles. Originally, in China they ate a baked good that we call sakubei in Japanese to appease demons. Over time, that pronunciation went from sakubei, to sakumen, to soumen—a wholly different food.

IZANAGI PICARO: So it had nothing to do with Takamaki’s idiotic rationalization, then.

Going with the theme of calming demons, soumen on Tanabata is sometimes called “demon guts.” Go restore your strength with some seasonal food and get ready for your exams.

Nice! Lady Ann seems really relieved!

Maaku gains Charm +1.

LEANAN SIDHE: Well, aren’t you a little casanova?
KODAMA: Please don’t make this weird.

You’re really good at studying… I’m impressed.

NIGI MITAMA: You should probably keep the process through which you actually came to that answer to yourself.

Morning → After School

Music: Tokyo Daylight

Chihaya contacts us about her fortune-telling hours.

(Doting Father) Okay, I can buy that for you. Where do they sell it?
Huh? You don’t know? …I guess you’re too busy at work.
O-Of course I know!

Meanwhile, I am here to observe the public in an attempt to refresh my mind. Do you need something?

We’re going to check out Yusuke’s skill card deal, since we haven’t made use of it yet.

So you wish to take advantage of our deal. I understand.
What are you gonna ask Yusuke to do today?

What type of card do you want Yusuke to duplicate for you?

We don’t actually have that many skill cards yet, but I’ll pick Psi to duplicaste. We don’t have a lot of Psychokinesis skills at the moment.

So you want him to duplicate a Psi card for you?

Very well. Hand me the card. I will spend the rest of today working on it. Come back tomorrow or later to retrieve it.

Well, you can’t spend the *entire* rest of today on it, because I actually wanted to hang out with you.

I am still unsatisfied by what happened at the exhibition. I have thought a great deal about it… And, well… there is something I would like to try painting. Do you think you would be free to help?

IZANAGI PICARO: Say no. This boy seems strange.
KIN-KI: You’re strange.
IZANAGI PICARO: Yeah, well… That’s… accurate.

I am in your debt. It would be rather difficult to go by myself. Now then, our destination is Inokashira Park. Let us go.

Which event was this again?

Emperor Rank 4: Part 68

Music: My Homie

Oh, right, it’s the one with the Incest Boat™.

Oh, okay, whew. It’s an art thing. Really thought I was gonna be murdered for a while there.
Why would you believe that?
I dunno. You’re still kind of an enigma to me, man.
This body of water is far too small and well-trafficked to conceivably dispose of a corpse, anyway.

PISACA: Maybe he was planning on eating it. That’s what I would have done.
KIN-KI: Yes, we know.

(Young Man) Hahaha, don’t get so excited. You’ll fall off, you know.

Ah, exactly what I was looking for! Mere desire is not enough to paint a complete picture of the heart, but the burning passion of love will surely reignite my artistic spirit!

KIN-KI: I’m kind of afraid of this guy.
KODAMA: …Yeah, same.
LEANAN SIDHE: Oh, you guys are no fun. I’m fond of this one, myself. But artists have always liked me. I give them inspiration, they give me their remaining lifespan… It’s win-win, really. And I’m interested in his subject. What’s not to love about young passion?

You will have an important role to play here today as well. While I draw, ensure the boat remains as steady as possible amid these devilish ripples.

Yeah, that’s probably the reason people don’t often paint on rowboats.
Ah, yes! This is the perfect angle! I can see the overflowing passion in their eyes! They’re akin to Adam and Eve… And even if one day, they are forced to separate, love will endure! That is the truth of the human heart! Yes… yes! This painting will be marvelous! They’ll see! They’ll all see!
Hm? Who’s that strange boy yelling over there? Wait… is he drawing us?
Please, just remain still… I’m capturing your blazing love for artistic purposes!
Uhhhh…
We’re siblings, dude.
Ah, jesus!
This did not go as I foresaw…
Wait, isn’t this rowboat thing for couples? Why are you doing it if you’re not dating?
Why are *you* in a rowboat? Are you dating that guy? No? Well then gently caress off!
I mean, I could be. You don’t know.

LEANAN SIDHE: Hm. Well, that’s unfortunate. This seemed interesting at first, but you should probably just leave now and forget this ever happened.
NIGI MITAMA: Yes. I agree. Especially the part where you wipe this from your memory.

I see. Love comes in all forms. I was biased and mistook one form for another. Though, perhaps depending on one’s point of view, romantic and familial love may be indistinguishable…
No, I think they’re pretty different, dude.
Anyway, I feel like I’ve learned something today.

I can sense a quiet resolve from Yusuke…

We should probably go home before they call the cops on us.
A wise decision, Maaku. Please row us back to shore, then.

For that event we chose options 2 (+2), 1 (+3).

Music: Alright (Elp Version)

It would seem I understand nothing of love after all. Though I’ve progressed by one step, there is no doubt I will face many difficulties moving forward. When will I fully understand the heart? Even if I ever do understand it, will I truly be able to draw it…?

Anyhow, today was a significant use of time. Impressive oarsmanship from your end, as well. I hope I can count on your help next time as well. For now, farewell.

After School → Evening

IZANAGI PICARO: Dare you challenge your feeble brain?

IZANAGI PICARO: You’ll earn no praise from me, boy. That was a pathetic trial.

It really was!

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

Another Thieves’ Den award for solving a bunch of crosswords.

(Reporter) On these irregularly broadcast specials, we share limited-edition items that are all the rage! Today we’ll talk about Melon Pan, which is made by using lots of fresh, seasonal melons! Apparently they’re the pride of Yon-Germain, the bakery over in Shibuya Station.

I tried buying one of those sandwiches once but some gross freak had already poked their finger through the wrapping. So unsanitary.

(Pundit) Oh, that looks like quite a luxurious snack. I’d love to try one next time I’m in Shibuya.

That sentence doesn’t make any sense, Sojiro. What helps?

Whatever, let’s just hang out with Fake Dad.

But wait! We don’t have a Hierophant Persona! We’ll have to remove a Persona from our stock to summon one from the Inmate Registry. Goodbye, Sudama!

SUDAMA: Bogus!

And hello, Anzu!

ANZU: Hey kid, wanna set some stuff on fire? I’m totally not a cop.

Back to Sojiro, then.

I’ll teach you how to make good coffee. Its taste all depends on you though.

Hierophant Rank 4: Part 50

These beans are Colombian, a medium-fine city roast. Oh, and don’t let the water boil too much.

Oh god oh poo poo I’m gonna gently caress this whole thing up and then he’ll disown me…

…You’re gonna be fine. I’ll be here the whole time.

You won’t be able to make an actual blend with just dumb luck, though. You can’t mix beans at random, you need to take the flavor profile and acidity into consideration. It’s all about the bean ratio!
Hmm… Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Oh, somebody’s enthusiastic. If you’re really that interested, feel free to try out whatever combinations you want to.

Don’t touch the expensive stuff, though, or I’ll cut you.
I don’t even know which ones are expensive!

Next up is the curry. There’s something special about its flavor. The truth is, a scientific genius actually came up with the perfect spice combo to complement my coffee. Something about the quantification of taste… There’s no formula for flavor, but it IS pretty drat good.

NUE: Food sound good.
IZANAGI PICARO: Wait, did he just say a “genius scientist” created his curry recipe? What!?
KODAMA: I don’t think that’s how taste buds work…
NIGI MITAMA: It’s completely absurd. He’s clearly playing a practical joke on you.
SETANTA: Yeah, call him out!

That’s… really weird and I don’t think I believe you.
Believe what you want, kid, it’s the truth.
Just saying, this sounds extremely made up.

Anyway, we don’t make compromises when it comes to food service. Our stuff’s gotta wow the customers.

I mean, it better, considering that you serve precisely two things here.

This is a tiny shop, after all. Self-satisfaction is the only thing that keeps me going.

Music: Suspicion

Haven’t I already told you I don’t have the money? Look at this place. You see many customers in here?

(Cheerful Elderly Man) Oh, I’m sure that’s not true, Sakura-san! You spent a long time working in government, you must have *something* squirreled away… Especially if you’re taking care of that employee there out of the goodness of your heart.

I wish you’d show me the same kindness you show others.

Wait, what? Kindness? Is that what you think this is? Dude feeds me one thing and keeps leaving me alone to get some tail.
Just stay quiet, kid…

If you’re not planning on buying anything, can you please leave? I’m expecting a phone call, so I don’t have time to chat with you.

Go ahead, take the call. I don’t mind. It’ll give me some time to take with your friend here. Does he know about her? I just have so much to share, where to begin…?

Well…

TAKE-MINAKATA: Fight him!
KIN-KI: What!?
TAKE-MINAKATA: Challenge him to a sumo match!
NIGI MITAMA: No. Do not do that. Just call Sojiro’s phone or something. Give him an excuse.

Oh, there’s that social services call I was waiting for. They come ‘round pretty often to make sure this guy’s not getting in any trouble. Want me to introduce you?
…Oh, that’s right! I have some business I need to take care of myself! I’ll come back later!

So, uh… What’s up with that guy?

*sigh* I guess I should explain what’s going on. He might try and drop by when I’m not around.

He’s an old acquaintance who needs money. That’s all you need to know. Just don’t fall for his nice-guy act.
Oh, trust me, I didn’t. It was a pretty thin act.

I have to say though… I’m surprised you were quick-witted enough to pull that stuff off. You really saved me back there. Thanks.
I feel like my bond with Sojiro is growing deeper…

I wanted to unlock Leblanc Curry before the next Palace, but unfortunately I forgot that getting Chihaya’s Money Reading is absolutely a much higher immediate priority for that Palace, so I feel like I wasted a night here. Oops!

I’m pretty dumb.

I guess that’s just the kinda person you are though, huh…

*sigh* I’d report him to the cops if he wasn’t related to her…

I get it, you’re getting laid. God, stop rubbing it in.

Oh, uh… never mind that. Anyway, that’s it for today. Go… study or something after you close up.

You’re gonna help me clean up, right? Because we’re *both* here?
Good night, kid.

I can see the compassion hidden beneath Sojiro’s actions… I feel my Kindness growing…

Maaku gains Kindness +2.

For that event, we chose options 1 (+3), 2 (+3).

Sorry about today. Didn’t mean to get you wrapped up in my problems. I probably don’t have to say it, but if that guy shows up while I’m out, just try to ignore him, okay? Just let him do his thing, and get on with the job. Got it?

You’re still under probation, so don’t cause a scene, yeah? All right, I’m trusting you on this. Later.

TAKE-MINAKATA: I still think you should fight him.

Anon: Don’t be fooled, everyone!

Early Morning

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

We’re going to read this book on ~cinema~ so we can stop being utter loving philistines.

Music: Everyday Days

Mize…wha? I-Is this a French term or something…?

Mise-en-scène… I thought film was all about story, but I guess every visual detail on the screen means something. This triggered a whole new perspective for me! I’m ready to watch all kinds of movies and DVDs now!

Thankfully, the stat point boost from this book also applies to rented DVDs.

Early Morning → After School

Music: Tokyo Daylight

There’s one that hints of death. …M… E… D… J…?

Keep going, maybe we’ll get the whole word soon.

I can’t make out anything else… but you will need to be careful.

We’re going to get a fortune reading from Chihaya.

IZANAGI PICARO: Boy. You understand that she’s preying on you, correct? Fortune telling is a ruse. If my old master was here, he’d assemble a disparate group of teenage stereotypes and get to the bottom of this instead of blithely acceding to it.

Well then, shall I read your fortune in detail…?

Okay. Please take a seat.

This is the only option we have at the moment, so we’ll just go with this.

Reading your luck improvement fortune will cost you 5000 yen.

All right, please think of some area in which you’d like to increase your luck.

We’re going for Charm today, because there’s a movie at the Shibuya theater that boosts Charm and we don’t have much better to do today. I should probably have boosted Guts and gone to the movie at the Shinjuku theater, though, because I really need to start Iwai’s Confidant ASAP.

That’s all for today’s improvement reading. I hope you’re happy with your fortune. I look forward to your next visit.

Well, that’s done. Let’s head to the theater.

It’s a story about a man who struggles to tell the woman he loves how he truly feels.

LEANAN SIDHE: Sounds *racy*.
KODAMA: It really doesn’t.

Since you’ve finished reading The Craft of Cinema, I bet you’ll appreciate this movie even more.

Music: Swelling, heart-wrenching film score

KIN-KI: Are you seriously taking up two seats with your bag-slash-cat? That’s not cool, man.

Lovesick man: Help her! Please, help her! I don’t care about the money or my social status! Please! I just need to… tell her how I feel!

LEANAN SIDHE: Booooooooring. Where’s the fuckin’?

Yeah, nice try. You still owe me that 7500 yen you borrowed. How did you even *spend* it?

I feel like I was able to learn about love… Thanks to The Craft of Cinema, I was able to enjoy the film on a deeper level…

Maaku gains a boosted Charm +3.

Our Charm didn’t go up. I just wanted to show what it looks like when you have a social stat bonus.

All right, let’s go home.

After School → Evening

NIGI MITAMA: Oh, jesus christ.
KODAMA: *This* poo poo again?
IZANAGI PICARO: Tell him to gently caress off.
NUE: Yes, tell shut up.
KIN-KI: Normally, I’d be against this, but… it’s extremely annoying, so I concur.
TAKE-MINAKATA: Or just fight him, either/or.

>Ryuji, my brain is mad at you.
Huh?????
…Anyway, it’s possible that Kaneshiro might be released from custody, but I think that’s unlikely. My sister actually told me she wouldn’t be home tonight.
So it might have worked!? Oh man! I’m gonna stay up all night watching the news to find out!
>No you’re loving not, who are you kidding here?

Many claim the government’s response is inadequate—this will likely affect approval ratings.
I guess that means we’re the only ones who can fight back against someone like Kaneshiro.

We’re going to call Kawakami tonight, but first we need a Temperance Persona.

We’ll fuse this Jikokuten from Leanan Sidhe and Nue.

NUE: Me say bye.
LEANAN SIDHE: Oh, such a shame… I would have liked to see whatever you were going to get up to with that maid in your room…
ARSÈNE: She spends most of her time there sleeping. Trust me, you would have been bored out of your mind.

Peace and security are my duties… I shall be your mask and grant you my power!

Jikokuten is a guardian deity who protects the east of Buddha’s realm. He is regarded as harmonious and compassionate in China.

JIKOKUTEN: Hello, everyone. Pleasure to meet you all. I hope we get along well.
ANZU: Hey, this guy’s definitely a cop. You should get rid of him. I just, uh… have a feeling.

While I’m in the Velvet Room, I also summon Shiki-Ouji for some reason. I wish I could say why, but I recorded this five months ago and do not remember my state of mind!

SHIKI-OUJI: Oh, you want me? Uh… okay. Wasn’t really prepared for that, but I’m down. Just gimme a sec to get cleaned up, all right?

You know, I’ve been hearing Shibuya’s getting more dangerous lately. I’ m sure you pass by that area on your commute to school, but don’t make too many detours, okay?

Would you like that for 5,000 yen?

Well then, please wait for me till I get thereee!

Temperance Rank 6: Part 64

ANZU: Um…
JIKOKUTEN: My word!
SHIKI-OUJI: Not really a fan of the way this is going down, gotta be honest.
KODAMA: You get used to it.
NIGI MITAMA: No. No you do not.

You listened to… my secret. I’ve never been able to tell anyone about it, so… I figured I should actually do some housekeeping today, to say thanks…

Huh? You’ve never done that before, why start now? Besides, turning this into some reciprocal relationship instead of just me doing you a solid feels way skeevier for some reason.

*yawn* Sorry… I need to take a break…

Like, this is exactly what I mean. If you’re tired, you should absolutely take a break. But don’t pretend you’re gonna do housework and then immediately give up on it. Just don’t try at all, I seriously do not care about your “services.”
Why, thank you Master!
Please stop calling me that.

Ughhh… I’m at my limit. Sooo exhausted… *cough* *cough* I’m beat… I can’t stop coughing…

Seriously, you okay? Take it easy.

Yeah, I’m fine. Thanks… *cough*

JIKOKUTEN: This woman is a terrible liar.
ARSÈNE: Yes, we have previously established this.

Haha, just kidding! I just wanted to slack off a bit. I mean, there’s nothing left to hide from you, so the truth comes out, you know? Now that I think about it… I’m glad you’re the one who found out about me being a maid.

Wait, what? You’re *happy* I found out? This entire ordeal seems like it’s completely mortifying for you!
Hm… Uh… Yeah, uh, you’re right, that’s… a weird thing to say, isn’t it? But anyway, are *you* going to be all right in this dusty attic? I worry about you up here sometimes… You need to eat better, too. Fresh vegetables, nothing instant. Eat your vitamins! They’re shaped like Fred Flintstone!
I was not aware that this could get weirder, but you acting like my mom is definitely doing it!

I guess I should get more sleep. I feel all achy…

Something going on?
Takase-kun’s guardians have been asking for more money… I’ve had to beg my boss for more shifts to cover what I need. He was pretty reluctant because I’m not very popular…
Just… take care. Really, I feel like *I’m* the one who should be worrying about *you*.

Oh, it’s fine! Nothing you should worry about. I feel more at ease, now that I have someone who knows about what I’m going through. …I’m talking about you.

One or both of us is absolutely going to prison.

I feel Kawakami’s trust in me strengthening…

ANZU: Wait, time’s up!? She just got here! All you did was talk!
KIN-KI: Talking is better than the alternative…
ANZU: Not what I meant!
KODAMA: Suuuuuuure.

*cough* *cough* I have to get to my next job, so I’m going to head out. Thank you for using our service…

For that event, we chose options 2 (+2), 1 (+3), 2.

I guess it’s a good thing I splurged at the doctor’s. I finally got some cough medicine that works. Hey, you gotta do some cleaning and ventilating on your own even when I’m gone, okay?

IZANAGI PICARO: Psh. She just wants her job to be easier.
NIGI MITAMA: You’re kind of an rear end in a top hat, you know that?
IZANAGI PICARO: I did know that.

If you neglect stuff like that, it makes you more likely to get sick.

Wait a minute, we’re supposed to be talking about you! Don’t change the subject.

Times like these are why we invented energy drinks… I just gotta chug one and push through! Okay, see you later…

Well, that’s all pretty worrying. Time for bed, though…

ARSÈNE: As you put your head to the pillow, you can feel your fractured mind healing… at least a bit. For now, the voices are being suppressed…
SHIKI-OUJI: Lame, I wanted to hang more. Well, keep me in mind for your next psychotic break!

Anon: Justice? Sounds sketchy
Anon: i dont buy into that stuff.
Anon: Don’t be fooled, everyone!
Anon: it’s fun, so whatever.

Looks like they’re searching the premises…
Another psychotic breakdown? I can’t handle this…
Does it have something to do with those posters we saw?
Did they arrest the Phantom Thieves?

Arist fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 4, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I decided at the absolute last minute (like, as I was starting to write it) that I wanted to make this update a reference to a different major LP I did, but it kind of turned into something else when I had the idea to use the protagonist's Personas instead of bespoke personality aspects. I'm of two minds on how it turned out, but I always like trying something new like this, so I don't regret it.

Anyway:

thanks all. together weve raised over $63 for raytheon to develop a brand new ITAS that can shoot down enemy prayers before they reach God .

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

which Persona is the one that wants to lick stains on the bar counter

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Hwurmp posted:

which Persona is the one that wants to lick stains on the bar counter

Jack Frost

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
your fans clearly demand more Disco Elysium posting

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
also are we back to dril posting, because i've been preparing for this day

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
ive never normalized a thing in my life

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh, by the way, here's a peek behind the curtain: I was originally going to have Izanagi Picaro not be a complete poo poo but instead be a play on, like, Fred from Scooby-Doo because Persona 4 is kind of vaguely similar to it if you really squint, but I couldn't figure out how to make it work.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:

S.D. posted:

This is true. I'm a fan AND I enjoy Disco Elysium posting!

And I thought that Izanagi Picaro was being lovely because he's the Picaro version. The normal one would probably be more Fred like.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

S.D. posted:

+1

Seriously though, your banter has been on point all LP (and in your prior ones too), and this was no exception.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

S.D. posted:

:emptyquote:

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Personally Joker's personas talking in his head reminds me of embarrassing Naruto fanfics where the nine tailed fox comments on everything he does

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

I guess it’s a good t hing I splurged at the doctor’s.

"t hing" should be "thing"

Arist posted:

I decided at the absolute last minute (like, as I was starting to write it) that I wanted to make this update a reference to a different major LP I did, but it kind of turned into something else when I had the idea to use the protagonist's Personas instead of bespoke personality aspects. I'm of two minds on how it turned out, but I always like trying something new like this, so I don't regret it.

I welcome more of it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SoundwaveAU posted:

Personally Joker's personas talking in his head reminds me of embarrassing Naruto fanfics where the nine tailed fox comments on everything he does

That's high praise

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Your additions to the narrative are the best part of the LP and having Joker turn into Harry was a highlight even by the standards of the rest of those.

It might get old if you bring them back often, but the variety in persona voices helps, and IMO it'd make for a better running joke than the kid brother one.

e: also I did not know you LP'd Disco Elysium and I'm gonna go look that up that because there is no such thing as having too much Disco Elysium in my life.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 16, 2022

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

If at all possible, could the personas get portraits in the future if they return? I'm terrible with names. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The reason I didn't use portraits was to emulate the style of my Disco Elysium LP, where I pretty much never used portraits (because the portraits, while good, were not terribly helpful for identifying your personality aspects, and they're most of the dialogue, so if I'm not doing portraits for them I might as well get rid of them entirely). I was aware that the Personas couldn't easily be identified from just their names here, but I decided I didn't want to waste time and belabor the actual fun part of the joke by giving pictures and listing them all. Also, the only Personas I did anything remotely relevant to their actual mythological depictions with were Leanan Sidhe for a line or two relating to her status as a muse and Pisaca's obsession with consuming corpses. Most of the others were just me playing around with "feel" and others were just me fabricating poo poo entirely. Like, I had no loving idea what to do with Kin-Ki, Anzu, or Nue, which is why I made Kin-Ki a relatively meek Persona (since I had too many aggressive ones already) and Anzu a narc.

Basically, I understand where you're coming from and I agree it's an imperfect presentation, but I'm not actually sure how to fix it without bogging things down or breaking the presentation style I was trying to recreate. Maybe in the future I can figure out how to bridge that gap, or just use portraits now that I've established the concept, assuming I ever return to it.