Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Annointed posted:

Mr Enter really needed their media manager to keep them of twitter. And if this is their media manager approving this, or the media manager themselves, good grief.

I... are you joking, or do you really believe that random youtubers have media managers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

If someone tried this with me, I'd call them a huge weirdo and would start sending them pings once a week, always claiming I'd "forgotten", that they don't want to get pinged.

Of course I watched Mr. Enter's videos enough that the chance of me showing up in a Discord channel frequented by him is stable at zero. Prevented from being a jackass by being smart enough to avoid jackasses: A lifehack to paradise

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Puppy Time posted:

I... are you joking, or do you really believe that random youtubers have media managers?

it can be hard to judge scale so they probably assumed the guy was a bigger deal than he was.

250k subs ain't nothing, but that only translates to 750 CAD/month on patreon, which isn't "has employees" money.

mind you, opening the description on one of his videos to see that he advertises his very own kiwifarms thread ALSO indicates that he wouldn't listen to a media manager even if he had one.

(god I hate it when I find out one of these ghouls is canadian :smith:)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

The all-seeing eye of Sauron has focused its attention on me. "This is it. The moment."

As its fiery gaze pierces through my mind and body, I take my diaper off and begin munching away at the contents within.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

egg tats posted:

it can be hard to judge scale so they probably assumed the guy was a bigger deal than he was.

Generally I find it safe to assume that nobody on the internet has any kind of manager unless they are, or are attached directly to, a corporation. It's all DIY hell these days.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I doubt the weirdo who is obsessed with making an animated series of himself has a media manager. Still, it's fascinating seeing a guy center his internet branding around being a screamy fedora-clad internet mad man in this day and age. It's like if a caveman was sealed in a block of ice in 2009, emerged just recently, and became outraged at how quickly we'd moved past 9/11 from his perspective.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Puppy Time posted:

his account description says it's a managed account and the end of that thread has his managers give their own thoughts so unless this is suddenly becoming a multiple systems situation i'm willing to bet he has managers :v:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s a Cool Cat Saves the Kids official account situation where sometimes it’s Cool Cat and sometimes it’s his “daddy,” the creator of Cool Cat, sharing his radical right-wing views.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
if you cant ping him then how is a manager supposed to get in contact with him

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

if you cant ping him then how is a manager supposed to get in contact with him

We should ping him and ask him

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

When Youtubers start making the big bucks on Patreon like Hbomberguy or the late Lindsay Ellis then yeah I assume they have at least some kind of paid help, even if it's just a producer and a regular editor. At that dude's level I'd kinda be shocked if he can afford a freelance editor

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Mr Enter very famously (for cartoon-tube circles at least) does indeed have staff because he's burned through a bunch of them being a weirdo who sucks to work with and now has I believe two different editors at least.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
@Mr. Enter

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The presence of Mr Enter implies the existence of Madam Exit.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I remember his cartoon pitch was called "Growin' Around" and involved a society where kids were adults and adults were kids. CodeName: Kids Next Door it ain't.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Amazing

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This is some Ambition poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLo4M1tlpv9ruM7k2Pr_0auqL8IveRE5gl

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I can't tell which is sadder and more hilarious; that this Mr. Enter dude is doing an unironic Puppet Master defense, or that it's his managers are trying to cover for him by doing said defense.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 16, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
mr enter is pretending to be his own manager imo

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 17, 2022

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

*tips fedora* m'renter

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/BladeRaisor/status/1515388713785872389?t=Yz3ckXIULKPReGL8gTxpvw&s=19

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/Wazzaldorp/status/1515294984563535876

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Someone should point this Mr. Enter dude to the loving Mr. Exit already, because he needs to get the gently caress outta here.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this art style has that 2000s webcomic look where at any point the cartoonist's fetishes could suddenly start taking over

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Max takes a look at a Watchmojo top 20 fighting games list, because he feels it's a good barometer for what casual fighting game players might feel. his comments are interesting, and he doesn't(well, mostly doesn't) criticize the choices made.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRU_VNmnmE0&hd=1

I love listening him talk about fighting game industry, history and culture stuff.

honestly the most surprising pick on that list I thought was skullgirls being #5, but then again that's one of the few fighting games I've bought in the last couple decades since it sported a basically unheard of(at the time) in-depth tutorial and practice mode, and definitely helped me learn some tricks even if I didn't stick with it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The 7th Guest posted:

this art style has that 2000s webcomic look where at any point the cartoonist's fetishes could suddenly start taking over
oh man, imagine what the cartoon about adults being treated like children would be like if the creator started inserting his fetishes into it

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ghostlight posted:

oh man, imagine what the cartoon about adults being treated like children would be like if the creator started inserting his fetishes into it

There would be diapers

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The 7th Guest posted:

It does bring to mind what I dimly recall The Wotch's art style looked like, which was basically crudely drawn fetish fuel.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

Isn't apparently the real weird twist to that genre's coming and going being that El Goonish Shive, the comic that created the "derailed by the artist's fetishes" genre wound up ultimately being incredibly tame and relatively wholesome in comparison to the imitators it spawned that just went full on depraved pervert mode as soon as they saw the green light?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I thought that was in reference to the cartoon dogs comic where they keep getting shaved

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Isn't apparently the real weird twist to that genre's coming and going being that El Goonish Shive, the comic that created the "derailed by the artist's fetishes" genre wound up ultimately being incredibly tame and relatively wholesome in comparison to the imitators it spawned that just went full on depraved pervert mode as soon as they saw the green light?
I read EGS when i was a younger enby in hatching, and I feel like a lot of it was probably the artist working out some identity issues through the comic, but they also were up for anything as far as commissions go, so there'd also be like, 'here's a donation art of a character that turns partly into an ant-furry'. but that was a loooong time ago (the 2000s basically). idk what it's like now, but i'm pretty sure a lot of it is just lengthy explanations of how the magic/technology works

a video essay on those comics would be interesting (also other comics from that era like something sparkle valkyrie or w/e it was called, or the one that then became a car racing comic) but you probably couldn't do it without being demonetized

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
https://twitter.com/R8dn_/status/1515147385747521538?cxt=HHwWhIC-3aGh8YYqAAAA

So does this mean that Duke's goal was to traumatize a red panda?

The 7th Guest posted:

a video essay on those comics would be interesting (also other comics from that era like something sparkle valkyrie or w/e it was called, or the one that then became a car racing comic) but you probably couldn't do it without being demonetized

Sparkling Generation Valkyrie Yuuki?

The Bad Webcomics Wiki is still running, though I think some of the reviews lean more towards roasting bad comics rather than in-depth analysis (reviews are done by different authors, so it varies based on what you're reading about).

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

The Bad Webcomics Wiki is still running, though I think some of the reviews lean more towards roasting bad comics rather than in-depth analysis (reviews are done by different authors, so it varies based on what you're reading about).

The problem with bad webcomics discussion in general is that there's a large contingent of people who are loving obsessed with how much they hate various webcomics, and only want the discussion to be about how bad the art/writing are, and how gross the fetishes are, and how terrible the creators must be because of those two things, and it has to be those three things, repeated like a Koyaanisqatsi of contempt.

Which like, yeah, the comics generally aren't good, but they're overall just middle-of-the-road nerd poo poo outsider art. At worst there's just some gross poo poo, generally because these were made by people of the 2000s, when it was considered good and cool to be as offensive as possible for some reason.

Anyway it'd be cool to see a video series about old webcomics, just because they had their own fascinating quirks and tropes, and it's a neat look into a bunch of nerds' ids.

(My favorite recurring trope is how so many started out as a slice of life comedy and then you skip to like page 500 and it's in outer space and people are dying and the main character has a cool gun or sword or swordgun. Just every time they run out of gag ideas, it turns into action madness.)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

(My favorite recurring trope is how so many started out as a slice of life comedy and then you skip to like page 500 and it's in outer space and people are dying and the main character has a cool gun or sword or swordgun. Just every time they run out of gag ideas, it turns into action madness.)

Matrix genre shifts

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

there's a difference between making fun of a bad internet thing because you find it fascinating and enjoy seeing what's at the bottom of internet rabbit holes versus making fun of a bad internet thing because you hate the person/people who made it and want to tear into them directly/have an excuse to harass people, and some of the bad webcomics people fell a little too hard into that latter category in the later years imo

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Puppy Time posted:

Penny Arcade got started doing gag-a-day strips and everyone wanted to be Penny Arcade. Then Megatoyko got started doing serialized narrative storytelling, and everybody suddenly wanted to be Megatokyo. 20 years later, all the wannabe strips are dead and Penny Arcade is still being Penny Arcade, and Megatoyko is still, somehow, amazingly, regrettably, Megatokyo.

(It was not specifically Megatokyo that inspired people to make the genre jump, it was just the only big narrative-driven comic I could think of from the era)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Oh, think Sluggy Freelance more than that.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

BU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I regret to admit that I was way into Megatokyo as a dumb teen.

Now the only comic I follow is OOTS, which helpfully reminds me of the glory days when 8bit theater still existed. (and to a lesser extent; Bob & George)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

megatokyo's a funny one for me because i discovered it not on the internet but at my local library as a preteen because someone had apparently requested the library try and get all the printed book volumes and i saw it while looking for the next few volumes of, like, rave master or whatever

like its just so loving funny in retrospect that my first big exposure to leetspeak was in loving paper form