Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

jacksbrat posted:

This poo poo country is also quite beautiful sometimes. Almost makes you think better things might be possible.

I do appreciate how many walking routes and beaches are open to the public in this country & I'm grateful to the workers who fought for the right to roam.

The country is quite lovely, it's just the people are poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Personally I'm a big fan of forests and perpetually sad that this island is no longer mostly temperate rainforest. I think it would be lovely.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Reflood the Fens imo.

Now you could do it as a phased ecological development over several decades, or you could wait 5 years until all that land is institutional landlords and agribusiness and then go full Fen Tigers on the levees and pumps, and we need to be prepared to have a grownup cost-benefit discussion of the pros and cons of either option.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

More tempting to secretly re-plumb the pumps so they just pump the same water in a circle, and then see how long it takes to figure out why the fens are underwater.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:hmmyes: Like that big pump near twisto that circles all the dock water around while being disguised as an online business school.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mourning Due posted:

Seeing this gave me a thought:

Has anyone put it to the Tories, that if shipping asylum seekers to Rwanda is the loveliest thing we can do for them: will they be sending Ukrainian refugees there as well? Or do they recognise that it's a hosed up thing to do to anyone?

No, they'll just say that the Ukrainians are legal immigrants. It's only illegal immigrants who get shipped off to Africa.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Reflood the Fens imo.

Now you could do it as a phased ecological development over several decades, or you could wait 5 years until all that land is institutional landlords and agribusiness and then go full Fen Tigers on the levees and pumps, and we need to be prepared to have a grownup cost-benefit discussion of the pros and cons of either option.

As a Fenland resident of 10 years this year, I find the whole history and geography of the place really interesting. The idea of the pre-draining Fens just fascinated me - a strange semi-independent region of England that's nominally owned by a bunch of aristocrats and bishops but largely left alone because it's mostly impassable malarial swamp, but dotted with 'island' cathedral cities in between shallow meres and reed beds, inland ports on the bigger river courses and wandering networks of rivers, dykes, drains and creeks with some semi-abandoned Roman and medieval canals. A weird semi-rural Venice. Acres of alluvial marsh which disappears under floodwater in the cold part of the year but is fine pastoral grazing in the warmer bits, with the fringes stringed with parishes which are very narrow but very very long, fanning out from the fens like the sectors of a dartboard, so each village has summer grazing and growing lands on the lower parts and permanent pasture on the higher bits.

The draining is a really interesting tale of civil engineering, as well as a tragic tale of environmental destruction and proto-genocide for the profit of private corporations. plus all the Fen Tigers and Powte's Complaint stuff. It's a strange artificial and relatively modern landscape, like some bit of the American Midwest plonked into East Anglia with straight roads, lines of wonky telegraph poles, grain elevators and hamlets with oddly un-English names derived from the size of the nearest drain, the daughter of a Georgian draining engineer, the power of the local pumping engine or some long-vanished landscape feature now buried under black soil.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

The right to roam is one of the things I miss most about the UK. It doesn't exist in Australia so everyone walks the dogs and jogs along the main road and it is weird.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Wanted to watch "The Commons" on my roku but had to sign up to STV Player first.
To do that you have to provide a Scottish postcode so I randomly googled and it satisfied them.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I remember being astounded years ago when I had to get a bus from Chester into Wales to go to the dentist and the Arriva bus had wifi, really nice comfy seats and didn't smell of pee and desperation.

Having lived in London for a decade I'd become convinced that it was the only place with good public transport, and that it was also terrible.

I'm still entirely unconvinced I need a car due to the insane costs. Once I start spending 4k a year on Uber I'll start thinking about it, but it seems to me that a car is just going to let me go out and spend MORE money.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hey if you get a car then you stop using public transport because you're already paying for the car and the more you use the car the more worth you're getting out of the insurance and MOT!

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Yeah see that's the kind of poo poo where I'm entirely unconvinced. Not to mention everyone having half their lives consumed by parking!

I do feel loving guilty that all our friends are constantly offering us lifts everywhere, we try to pay for petrol and they're always like "nooooo" so we just sneakily make them food all the time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you can get by without one it definitely is the better choice, I need it for work but if I didn't then I wouldn't have one, it's handy sometimes to be able to get places that are awkward on the bus, and to move stuff around occasionally, but using the bus is much more relaxing and also you don't have to worry about the car when you are where you are going, no parking as you say, no ticket timers, nothing, helps a lot to focus on where you are.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Cars are the natural enemy of the Londoner and can be a powerful ally to the simple country folk outside zone 6... but that power comes at great cost.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Tomberforce posted:

The right to roam is one of the things I miss most about the UK. It doesn't exist in Australia so everyone walks the dogs and jogs along the main road and it is weird.

That's only Scotland sadly, England and Wales have no right to roam.
It does have lots of historic trails and footpaths although they are slowly being lost, stealthily reclaimed by private owners. We have until 2026 to mark them officially or they're gone for good.

https://dontloseyourway.ramblers.org.uk/guides/submission-guide

https://youtu.be/3dYc0Ouxhx0

Mebh posted:

Yeah see that's the kind of poo poo where I'm entirely unconvinced. Not to mention everyone having half their lives consumed by parking!

Maybe if you live in a major city, but anywhere else a car is much faster.
It takes me 30 minutes to get to my parents by car, by public transport that's 2 buses and a train, so about 3/4 times that.
I'm currently thinking about getting rid of mine, I now work from home and having two cars is a bit of a waste but unlike other goons I just find public transport slow and annoying, so even though I probably get in my car once a week at this point I'm struggling to get rid of it.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Apr 17, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
The pandemic highlighted the value of a private car over public transport - not having to mix with all the other plague havers.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I drive a car to work because there's no bus line and I live rurally and my work place is even more so. But it's basically 25km of straight mostly empty road and where I live & work I don't have to worry about parking or parking fees or stuff like that, hell I don't even lock the car... So I don't really have an antagonistic view towards cars, their main issue for me is they cost a lot of money. It sure is more stressful driving in a city though.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Wanted to watch "The Commons" on my roku but had to sign up to STV Player first.
To do that you have to provide a Scottish postcode so I randomly googled and it satisfied them.

Reminds me of times past when US websites needed a zip code to access, so I would use the most commonly known zip code, 90210.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Mega Comrade posted:

That's only Scotland sadly, England and Wales have no right to roam.

Yes we do. Nowhere near enough, obviously.

https://www.gov.uk/right-of-way-open-access-land/use-your-right-to-roam

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Is so little it might as well not exist though

If we adopted Scotlands model it would open up thousands of acres to public access.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Apr 17, 2022

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Cars are bad but I have to drive one, as I have to work in the lead mine for tour guiding stuff.

Didn't help that yesterday after a lovely day out I had to go onto a dual carriage way and had a bloke on a bike cut very close to me. I had checked and rechecked the road but it's left me pretty shaken up and angry at myself for not seeing him.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I cycle everywhere and enjoy the moral high horse that doing so grants me

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

kecske posted:

I cycle everywhere and enjoy the moral high horse that doing so grants me

Valid tbf. I just wish there was a separate system like the c2c in the North so folks can get everywhere by bike without ever needing to be near cars. I am very aware I drive a thing that can kill people and I hate it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I don't trust myself driving a car ever. It's not a fear, I just know my attention span will let me down and I don't want that to be when a cat/dog/person is going underneath.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

you could kill someone with a bag of nuts.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I can cycle into and out of Manchester pretty safely and my workplace has secure cycle facilities, but after 8pm or on weekends I'd have to lock up in town somewhere and lol, you might as well just accept you're losing a wheel as some kind of bike tax. I might have to look into one of those folding bikes I can carry with me.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yes, but not that many people die every year to nuts. Whereas far too many die to cars.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Yes, but not that many people die every year to nuts. Whereas far too many die to cars.

But cars are much more useful than nuts. So death versus utility I reckon theyre about level.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

NotJustANumber99 posted:

True. Brother is highly alergic to nuts, so we have to watch everything we eat.
And Dry Roasted > Salted.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

But cars are much more useful than nuts. So death versus utility I reckon theyre about level.

You’ve clearly never seen me drive

Or how I use nuts :biglips:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
No nuts here, just birds chirping. I was sitting at the firepit behind my shed and started recording, it has a kinda ASMR vibe. Finally the snow is starting to yield and spring is here for real. My shed survived the winter too, now I need to work on getting it some panelling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiQkWWLRC2U

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Disagree, cars suck, nuts are a good source of protein.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

forkboy84 posted:

Disagree, cars suck, nuts are a good source of protein.

But cars are a great source of iron and magnesium

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
What about truck nuts

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

deadly

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Nuts rarely explode or drive into crowds of people because they were confused by the moon though, so depends on the car probably.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i like the right to roam people with their colourful anoraks and very narrowly-focused yet fearsome anti-establishment views

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
I live in zone 2 and during the pandemic without a car I felt pretty trapped.

However during normal times it takes longer to drive out to places in outer boroughs than it does to get a tube there. Unless you live in south london in which case rip.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ravel posted:

I live in zone 2 and during the pandemic without a car I felt pretty trapped.

However during normal times it takes longer to drive out to places in outer boroughs than it does to get a tube there. Unless you live in south london in which case rip.

I live 15 miles from a town that the bus takes nearly an hour to travel. Still don't need a car baybay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Sorry for the stupid huge post, this kinda got out of hand...

Cars are super useful i get that. Especially if you commute. What I'm taking about is all the other uses.

Right now our best friends are in Barnsley, and we're east of Sheffield. So it's 1.5 hours on public transport or a 30 min drive to go hang out.

We have a Costco about 10m drive away that obviously you need a car for, to bring back all the random oversized blocks of cheese you end up buying there.

There's various nice stores about 15 to 20 mins drive around Sheff like a huge Asian supermarket to the south or various cheap places to get house stuff.

I'd love to start doing driving trips with the wife to show her random parts of the UK I went to as a kid as well. She worked on Dark Age of Camelot so all the landmarks from Tintagel to Stonehenge to Hadrian's wall.

All of this needs a car... But I'm still unconvinced a car is necessary until i have to commute.

It's stupidly hard to work this out from calculators so if anyone could help...

Small car fuel cost would be like £2k a year (est 10k miles)
£500 / year for insurance
£150 per month (£1800/y), to pay off the price of a small 2nd hand automatic
Road tax, £200?
Maintenance and servicing? Around £1300 per year on average.

So total "budget" for public transport and taxis etc per year is £5800 not counting random parking costs everywhere.

Not to mention learning to drive one off cost of about £1400 or insuring my partner.

Trip to our friends is £60 return in a taxi at peak. Say we do that monthly is £720.
Say every other week we go somewhere in Sheff to get food that is near, and taxi every other week for docs/hospital etc. That's £26 return at peak every week for £1352 a year. Say add 50% more for random trips etc. £2028

That still leaves us £3052 per year for random train trips to go see poo poo. Not as handy as just driving to a nice landmark but still.

Not even considering most couples i know have a car each so double all those costs.

Am I absolutely crazy? Or is a car only needed if you can't live without it. Eg kids or daily commute? There's no way it's more economical if you live near a city and can call a cab.

Even if i got a taxi at peak to and from work every single day with 255 working days a year that's £18 x255 = £4590. Which is mad. There's car pool options everywhere to reduce that.