Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Danaru posted:

During a Lower Decks themed mission, Boimler asks us to help him sneak away to check on a previous mission site, when Mariner koolaids in and asks if we're playing section 31, and demanding to play Luther Sloan

:allears: Sloan was such a loving loser

I think what makes jokes like this annoying is that they give these supposed nobody losers an implausible amount of detailed knowledge about events they weren't anywhere near. It makes them look like they just watched the show. Star Trek characters can be basically anything you like, but the one thing they really loving shouldn't be is Star Trek fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Freecs work to better themselves and the rest of humanity

What does that mean, exactly?

The Dominion should have burned that planet to the ground. It's like everyone forgot the huge galactic war that killed billions of people.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

*in a haunted Nog voice* Not me.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

O'Brien: There was a war on? No wonder everyone got so lenient about killing Spoonheads!

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

:words:
Freecloud

Weren't the Ferengi already a stand in for unfettered libertarian capitalism?

Unless NuTrek writers never bothered to watch TNG/DS9.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbRMbiqZrko

I like to think NuTrek writers are this guy.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Dabir posted:

I think what makes jokes like this annoying is that they give these supposed nobody losers an implausible amount of detailed knowledge about events they weren't anywhere near. It makes them look like they just watched the show. Star Trek characters can be basically anything you like, but the one thing they really loving shouldn't be is Star Trek fans.

I don’t think it’s particularly unusual for a starfleet officer to know details of Bashir’s discovery of a super secret organization in the Federation. I think that would be big news.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I'm not entirely sure why people have such a problem with the existence of Freecloud. Its a big galaxy, and there are probably all sorts of colonies out there settled by people with their own philosophical beliefs. I mean, we've seen that in previous series....the Luddite planet in DS9, the clone society and the other Luddite society in TNG.

Why wouldn't there be an anarchist/libertarian colony out there? And from the writeup, there isn't even any evidence that they're not post-scarcity or that there are any major wealth disparities on the planet. So I'm not sure why people are that worked up about it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Epicurius posted:

I'm not entirely sure why people have such a problem with the existence of Freecloud. Its a big galaxy, and there are probably all sorts of colonies out there settled by people with their own philosophical beliefs. I mean, we've seen that in previous series....the Luddite planet in DS9, the clone society and the other Luddite society in TNG.

Why wouldn't there be an anarchist/libertarian colony out there? And from the writeup, there isn't even any evidence that they're not post-scarcity or that there are any major wealth disparities on the planet. So I'm not sure why people are that worked up about it.

I'm laughing at the superior intellect

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Endless Trash posted:

I don’t think it’s particularly unusual for a starfleet officer to know details of Bashir’s discovery of a super secret organization in the Federation. I think that would be big news.

i don't think anyone would have publicized anything that happened with sloane. if it was well known then there would be the danger of s31 becoming a real thing and not 5 guys in a used shuttle with pretensions. it's like if mariner started an extended unprompted monologue about the time sisko murdered a romulan ambassador to bring the romulans into the war.

but it's a comedy show, so who cares? no, not even that. it's a mobile game tie in to a comedy show.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i don't think anyone would have publicized anything that happened with sloane. if it was well known then there would be the danger of s31 becoming a real thing and not 5 guys in a used shuttle with pretensions.

The danger of S31 becoming a “real thing”? Pretty sure they’re legit. Been around since before the Federation, if Enterprise is to be believed.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Endless Trash posted:

I mean, aside from the fact that Starfleet either didn't take it seriously at all or was actively covering it up, this joke hinges on a tiny little detail of Sloan's exact word choices. I doubt that's the kind of thing that ends up in reports.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Dabir posted:

I mean, aside from the fact that Starfleet either didn't take it seriously at all or was actively covering it up, this joke hinges on a tiny little detail of Sloan's exact word choices. I doubt that's the kind of thing that ends up in reports.

Bashir wrote a book after the Dominion War called “My Dinner with Sloan” that went into excruciating detail of all his mannerisms.

Best seller, made $0 in profit

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, that i could believe.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Endless Trash posted:

Bashir wrote a book after the Dominion War called “My Dinner with Sloan” that went into excruciating detail of all his mannerisms.

Best seller, made $0 in profit

See that's a much better joke already

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

How long did freecloud last before being overrun by space bears?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Epicurius posted:

it's true look at all the weird socities they discover in star trek. in tos season 1 most of them had no make-up either so if you are looking back now and don't know any better you might assume those are all human planets.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the really implausible aspects of freecloud are that it lasted more than a week and is a place anyone would ever be willing to visit.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Endless Trash posted:

Especially given she apparently spent some time station on DS9 while Worf was stationed there (I'm guessing as a cadet, a la Nog).

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I thought it was funny :smith:

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

MikeJF posted:

Speaking of Picard Season One, did we all get to read the notes from the season one head writer about the vegas-esque planet they visited?

Thankfully, all of the stupid loving ancap/libertarian fantasy bullshit didn't make it onscreen and we can throw it in the trash where it rightly belongs.

oh but it did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPnqsS1VZT4

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Picking up Disco after I left it off at the straight-up disastrous end of Season 2.

Season 3 doesn't necessarily have a bad premise though. I like the idea of a galaxy that's harder to get around and everyone is back to scrapping; I just wish it wasn't Star Trek. I hate hate hate the idea that Federation hit a big speed bump and just fell the gently caress apart.

The first two episodes are quite good though. Georgiou as an evil wild card is great. Too overdramatic as usual, but that's just Disco.

The whole universe revolving around Michael Burnham is still annoying. She's gotta have a big music swelling emotional speech about how she's gonna let Saru be the captain. Yeah, loving of course he's the captain he outranks you. Do this in a conference room scene! Just shoot it flat! Do it like you're a Star Trek show with one camera angle and no orchestral score and everyone acts like loving military officers and not an emotional support group.

Soniqua Martin-Green looks a million times better without that stupid loving haircut though

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 17, 2022

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Epicurius posted:

We can laugh at it without being “worked up” about it. But to answer seriously it’s because it’s not a piece of fiction it’s the societal equivalent of a Mary Sue. All problems are written out as “they don’t happen because the place is just so great and everyone knows it and don’t want to hurt it.” It’s overrun with criminals but they don’t do anything bad and just help everyone because they respect the place so much. It’s in the middle of Klingon and Romulans but they wouldn’t dare attack because the tech and soldiers are just so badass. They run their economy on cryptocurrency.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I read that description as more like the 'travel brochure' description of Freecloud.

Maybe if it were succinct enough, it'd be worth laughing at.

edit: It just struck me its another one of those mid 2000s era things like, "Those POTC film was big... What if we had pirate cove trading post planet, in STAR TREK?!"

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 17, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Naturally they needed to reinvent a currency-based economy, they needed something to serve as a token of wealth, so they settled on an something artificially scare that had held its value for centuries: WoW gold.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dabir posted:

One of the things that Lower Decks establishes, and you may not like this but it makes well enough sense, is that people in Starfleet are actively excited about cool space stuff and follow the wierd stuff that happens, and in particular the Enterprise's legendary exploits get spread around the fleet. Mike McMahan has said part of the universe he imagines is people reading ship's log entries and forwarding the cooler ones to each other and gossipping about them.

Personally I think it makes plenty of sense that people in Star Trek are Star Trek fans, especially the ones on the dull ships like Cerritos.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Apr 17, 2022

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Epicurius posted:

The issue is not that libertarians made a colony, it's that his description is of the ridiculous ancap wet dream society where there are no taxes or laws but everyone has a gun and the gubbment stays out of yer affairs and it just works and everyone is afraid to mess with them, that everyone who isn't a balls-to-the-wall libertarian fetishist knows is absolute nonsense, slapped down into the middle of the star trek setting without a moment's critical thinking or even an attempt to integrate it into the setting in any kind of sensible way but instead just goes 'and the rest of Star Trek is intimidated by them and they have big economic influence and are super-cool'.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 17, 2022

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

MikeJF posted:

One of the things that Lower Decks establishes, and you may not like this but it makes well enough sense, is that people in Starfleet are actively excited about cool space stuff and follow the wierd stuff that happens, and in particular the Enterprise's legendary exploits get spread around the fleet. Mike McMahan has said part of the universe he imagines is people reading ship's log entries and forwarding the cooler ones to each other and gossipping about them.

Personally I think it makes plenty of sense that people in Star Trek are Star Trek fans, especially the ones on the dull ships like Cerritos.

That's a fine idea, but there's a thin line between that and characters having just watched the episodes.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Rynder posted:

I'm on The Inner Light and it's a great episode as always, but I never thought about how horrible people from the destroyed planet were. Hey let's lock some poor future person in an O'Brien-esque mind prison for an entire lifetime, then permanently traumatize them by ripping it all away. Hopefully they'll like the flute!

What's always been hilarious to me is that it's the exact same premise as the classic Alan Moore Superman story "For The Man Who Has Everything" except there it's explicitly a villainous act and Superman drat near kills the dude over it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

The issue is not that libertarians made a colony, it's that his description is of the ridiculous ancap wet dream society where there are no taxes or laws but everyone has a gun and the gubbment stays out of yer affairs and it just works and everyone is afraid to mess with them, that everyone who isn't a balls-to-the-wall libertarian fetishist knows is absolute nonsense, slapped down into the middle of the star trek setting without a moment's critical thinking or even an attempt to integrate it into the setting in any kind of sensible way but instead just goes 'and the rest of Star Trek is intimidated by them and they have big economic influence and are super-cool'.

remember the 80's when libertarian fans got run out of pocket books' star trek novels after including screeds against collectivism in them instead of being put in charge of writing the actual shows? good times

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

MikeJF posted:

Speaking of Picard Season One, did we all get to read the notes from the season one head writer about the vegas-esque planet they visited?

Thankfully, all of the stupid loving ancap/libertarian fantasy bullshit didn't make it onscreen and we can throw it in the trash where it rightly belongs.
lmao welcome to freecloud, the lawless planet. sorry i mean, the planet with no laws. we solved economic incentives to create crime by just deciding not to be greedy - and crimes of violence are exceedingly rare! which is made even stranger because there's no laws to create crimes that can be commited!

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Worf buys a condo on freecloud beach because property taxes are dishonorable

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I think it's funny how he pretty much independently reinvented Heinlein screeds. The only thing missing is the leader of Freecloud being Professor-President Coolguy, who has tantric sex all day and looks and sounds exactly like Michael Chabon

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Clark Nova posted:

I think it's funny how he pretty much independently reinvented Heinlein screeds. The only thing missing is the leader of Freecloud being Professor-President Coolguy, who has tantric sex all day and looks and sounds exactly like Michael Chabon

Professor-President Coolguy also has some innovative ideas about group marriage and age of consent laws

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ghostlight posted:

lmao welcome to freecloud, the lawless planet. sorry i mean, the planet with no laws. we solved economic incentives to create crime by just deciding not to be greedy - and crimes of violence are exceedingly rare! which is made even stranger because there's no laws to create crimes that can be commited!
No laws is how you end up with a woman named Vajazzle running the place

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Remember that one episode of Deep Space 9 that was all about Morn?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Wouldn't Libertarian Planet just be that Mobster Planet from TOS?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Asterite34 posted:

Wouldn't Libertarian Planet just be that Mobster Planet from TOS?

Not really, unless the Mobster Planet also had strong opinions on age of consent laws.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Imagine a planet full of Neelixes. There’s your libertarian paradise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Not really, unless the Mobster Planet also had strong opinions on age of consent laws.

aka Battlestar Galactica Black Market