Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Jose Oquendo posted:

I've been using MagSafe wallets (official and third party) for over a year now and I've never had issues with the wallet coming off the phone.

Do they work well with third party Magsafe compatible cases? I mostly use the Apple leather one but I have a dbrand Grip in the mail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i like the idea of a phone wallet -- simplifying/minimizing what's in my pocket -- much more than the actual experience of using one. after a few months i went back to carrying a separate slim wallet. it really doesn't take up much more space.

this was all before magsafe, but i can't really see how that would make the experience better (except that you can throw away just the wallet instead of the whole case when you get sick of it... but a magsafe wallet costs as much as a case anyway)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Soul Glo posted:

Do they work well with third party Magsafe compatible cases? I mostly use the Apple leather one but I have a dbrand Grip in the mail.

I honestly don't know because I never used my wallet with a third party case.

Bad Purchase posted:

i like the idea of a phone wallet -- simplifying/minimizing what's in my pocket -- much more than the actual experience of using one. after a few months i went back to carrying a separate slim wallet. it really doesn't take up much more space.

this was all before magsafe, but i can't really see how that would make the experience better (except that you can throw away just the wallet instead of the whole case when you get sick of it... but a magsafe wallet costs as much as a case anyway)

It's not a mind blowing change or anything but I would say it's a slight QOL upgrade since most of the time all I need for cards fits in the MagSafe wallet.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m a minimalist with most things but phone in right pocket and normal wallet in left pocket just feels right to me and never bothers me. Having them together just seems like it would make me like holding my phone less. Not saying the all in one approach is bad or whatever just my thoughts lol.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I hate the idea of extra junk attached to my phone, so I keep a separate wallet, but a lot of the time these days unless I specifically know I'm going somewhere where I'll need actual physical cash or the various cards in there It ends up being left at home and I just use apple pay on my phone.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Stupid Home Depot still doesn’t take Apple Pay :mad:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FCKGW posted:

is Apple Pay some really convoluted thing to set up on a merchant's end in the US? up here in Canada you just add your bank card* and wave your phone at the machine instead of the card itself to pay. it's really painless.

*some credit unions do not use the national standard called interac

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Arivia posted:

is Apple Pay some really convoluted thing to set up on a merchant's end in the US? up here in Canada you just add your bank card* and wave your phone at the machine instead of the card itself to pay. it's really painless.

*some credit unions do not use the national standard called interac

No, it's always some kind of stupid brinksmanship to negotiate percentages. They seem to think Apple will blink before they do. For both retailers and banks that don't have Apple Pay yet.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

No, it's always some kind of stupid brinksmanship to negotiate percentages. They seem to think Apple will blink before they do. For both retailers and banks that don't have Apple Pay yet.

https://9to5mac.com/2021/10/05/apple-pay-fees-banks-visa-report/

huh okay, yeah, banks in the us are stupid i guess or something

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The US banking system is like 30 years behind the rest of the developed world.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

There's still major retail outfits that don't accept any sort of contactless payment in addition to smaller ones as well.

Basically at the end of the day, if you're in the US you still gotta carry some cash or plastic even if you have Apple Pay or some other contactless poo poo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Even the businesses that do take Apple Pay gently caress with it constantly, Walgreens had it working fine for years but they rolled out a new POS implementation and now it requires a watch scan plus a PIN.

Nothing is ever allowed to just work.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

There's still major retail outfits that don't accept any sort of contactless payment in addition to smaller ones as well.

Basically at the end of the day, if you're in the US you still gotta carry some cash or plastic even if you have Apple Pay or some other contactless poo poo.

Yeah it’s this, Home Depot has extremely customized terminals that don’t have any type of contactless payment options. It’s a matter of hardware, not percentages or whatever.

Pretty much every other place I go to has the same common POS terminals that do contactless just fine.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
As someone that works there its insanely annoying that we don’t have it. We even got brand new pin pads like two years ago and they’re exactly as limited as our ancient ones. With the added benefit of having jankier chip readers. I’ve had to replace my entire front end a few months ago because they decided they didn’t want to accept chips.

And at least once a day I get each someone trying to tap a card and trying to use their phone and I have to regrettably tell them we don’t

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
As always , the US is just a mish-mash based on where you are , etc, and of course nothing is setup efficiently because the US is just stupid about that poo poo.

There are plenty of places in the US that still only take cash. When I lived in Philly I had to adjust to start keeping like, $50-100 in my wallet just in case.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

when i was in germany and the czech republic in 2019 there were still times cash definitely came in handy tho i imagine that may have changed over the past few years.

otoh i was just in spain for my first international trip since covid and i never had to pull my physical card out once. i withdrew 60 euro from an atm and used them but honestly could've gone without cash at all aside from the time i had to buy a mask from a corner store for 1€ when i lost mine on a beach.

the only annoying thing was having to decline the sucker automatic conversion rate most of the time but that obv wouldn't affect locals

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Whoa shocking how the country with Silicon Valley in it is so behind on this stuff. I’ve been able to tap to pay or use chip and pin in Canada for basically everything for ages. One time I had to actually sign a receipt at a store because something was wrong with the POS terminal and the clerk was extremely apologetic.

Is this something that is limited to large chains in the states? Like even farmers markets here take contactless payment with Square pay or whatever that thing is.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
As an American in the southeast, I have never used contactless pay. Even my debit card still has to be swiped at this point, but I think one or two of my credit cards can be tapped now(?). I’m not sure how widespread Apple Pay is because I’ve not really hosed around with it since I’m back and forth between iOS and Android.

To answer my own question from upthread, the Apple Wallet does indeed magnetize to the dbrand Grip case itself, which, while it doesn’t feel as strong a connection as the Apple-branded cases feel, is still impressive considering how thin the back of that case is to allow skins to be applied to it without adding thickness.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
It’s always shocking as a European to hear about how behind American card payments are. I’m 36 and I’ve literally never seen the magnetic swipe on a card used outside of American movies.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Let's talk about the travesty that is our cellular network next!

America sucks.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wait til you hear about checks still being used.

Moving from UK to the US the banking stuff was definitely something I had to get used to in a ‘wait, you still do x?!’ way. The first week I got my debit card I checked my balance at another banks ATM and got charged $3 for the privilege. There’s been improvements at least, but yeah still messy.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

It’s always shocking as a European to hear about how behind American card payments are. I’m 36 and I’ve literally never seen the magnetic swipe on a card used outside of American movies.

those are p much gone now except for things like prepaid gift cards tho we were very late. when i visited toronto a decade ago i was unable to use my card in certain places because american cards didn't have chips yet. my first card that had a chip was an amex i got in 2017.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Question Mark Mound posted:

When I started my first job I opened a new bank account that came with a chip and pin card just when they were introduced here. I think I’ve had to use the swipe thing once very early on when the chip and pin machine didn’t work.

Nowadays the only place I use my physical card is for buying fuel, because the pay at pump machines don’t have contactless. Pretty much everyone takes apple pay as a contactless payment and the limit is higher than using contactless on the actual card itself.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I was working retail when chip and PIN became a thing in the UK and we had to ask people if they knew their number, because a lot of people were still expecting to swipe and sign which we wouldn’t accept anymore.

So many people would just go “oh yeah it’s XXXX” and announce it to the entire store in response to being asked if they knew it.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
US never went chip and pin on credit cards. Still chip and signature. I remember visiting home in Canada with my American cards and the young clerks being completely puzzled, apologetic, and uncertain about the machine asking for a signature.

As if it was asking me to provide a wax seal.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Does anybody else have problems with reactions in the latest Fastbook app update? It's really weird and I can't record it because you can't see touch inputs on a screen recording :P

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

xzzy posted:

Let's talk about the travesty that is our cellular network next!

America sucks.

On that case you have Canada far, far beaten.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

I was watching some youtube review of Magsafe stuff and the wallet just doesn’t seem like it would be reliable enough. Seems to slide off way too easy.

Which sucks because I would love to consolidate down to one.

My PopSocket MagSafe wallet grabs on like a vice grip - I've never had any issues with it "sliding" off too easily.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

FCKGW posted:

None of the home DIY stores do - I've been in the self checkout on a few ocassions where people had to leave shopping carts full of items in the store because they only had Apple Pay. Its funny, almost every self checkout kiosk I see has giant handwritten signs that say "NO APPLE PAY". I can only hope the executives at these retail chains realize how bad it is for overall customer experience in their stores. My girlfriend would legitimately switch to whatever home DIY store first accepts Apple Pay.

Hopefully the Walmarts/Home Depots/Lowes/Menards adopt it eventually.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Apr 18, 2022

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I am honestly surprised that Walmart does not have it. Then again, they would prefer you to use their Walmart pay system through their app.

One time I I forgot my wallet with $150 worth of groceries at the checkout. I luckily remembered Walmart pay and was able to pay for the items.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

America experimented with chip cards in the early 2000s but it got abandoned after fundamental Christians complained about the Anti-Christ. :911:

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
One nice thing about apple pay in foreign countries is that at least for the cards I've used it on, cards that would normally be chip and signature don't have any additional auth beyond touch/face ID on apple pay.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
at least one major midatlantic chain (Giant Food) had Apple Pay for a while and ended up getting rid of it, afaik. It's also still not very widespread period, at least (or maybe especially) in the suburbs

i haven't had a magnetic strip use since a couple years ago, except one time when the chip reader on a shop's Square device was broken

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Aldi in the US has the best implementation of Apple Pay that I've ever seen. You are able to scan as soon as they scan your first item. They then finish scanning all items and hit the transact key and it immediately prints out a receipt.

Way, way faster than systems that must wait until after the checker has finished scanning all items before powering up the card reader.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yep that was a mind blown thing when I first saw it, and I'm pretty sure when I tried it at Publix it worked there too.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

emdash posted:

at least one major midatlantic chain (Giant Food) had Apple Pay for a while and ended up getting rid of it, afaik. It's also still not very widespread period, at least (or maybe especially) in the suburbs

i haven't had a magnetic strip use since a couple years ago, except one time when the chip reader on a shop's Square device was broken

Giant near me still has it, so it might be state-by-state or some other issue?

I see contactless payments all over the place, personally - definitely not to the point of “stop carrying a card” but to the point where it throws me when I don’t see it.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Are lightning to USBC adapters a) a thing and b) safe? It’d be for charging only. I’d like to charge my PS5 controller using my phone cable instead of either having to buy a 6ft USBC one or continue swapping with a fully charged one attached to the console

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Are lightning to USBC adapters a) a thing and b) safe? It’d be for charging only. I’d like to charge my PS5 controller using my phone cable instead of either having to buy a 6ft USBC one or continue swapping with a fully charged one attached to the console

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BMTPYN1?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_Q71ARZV8ZCSK8JDWF8MX

edit: Personally I wouldn't use those. No idea on how reliable they are or if there's any possibility of damaging the controller. If it were me, I'd get either just swap cables or get a brick with two ports and run two cables.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 18, 2022

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Home Depot and sit-down restaurants are the only places I frequent that don't take Apple Pay. And poo poo, went to lunch yesterday that was pay by QR code that let me pay via Apple Pay. And yeah, every Giant I go to still takes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Something like this might work?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KXRF8ZB/