Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Poached haddock, potatoes, and rainbow carrots. Just added a little melted butter and it was perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Clean food

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

Clean food

That’s the idea. My wife has a had a crazy bad sore throat and can’t handle anything spicy, acidic, or textured.

Seemed like a good night for something soft and simple.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Seemed like a good night for something soft and simple.

I’d eat it no questions asked. That’s a great and delicate flavored plate. I love the multi-color carrots too.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Poached haddock, potatoes, and rainbow carrots. Just added a little melted butter and it was perfect.

Very aesthetically pleasing.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I know I'd feel really healthy after eating it

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Was just thinking about chicken fried steak. Nice.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Had nothing to do and the house to myself today so I just smoked a bunch of weed, and at some point I tried making beef and broccoli for the first time. Came out a little saucy, but was really tasty. Haven’t had it it years.

Could have used a couple of those crinkle-cut carrots that they do at the Chinese place down the street. But I was fresh out of carrots.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

that's a nice looking green bean cassarole, did you fry your own onions or are those bought ones?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Country fried chicken thighs and the bottle of fried shallots are from the Asian market.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Had nothing to do and the house to myself today so I just smoked a bunch of weed, and at some point I tried making beef and broccoli for the first time. Came out a little saucy, but was really tasty. Haven’t had it it years.

Could have used a couple of those crinkle-cut carrots that they do at the Chinese place down the street. But I was fresh out of carrots.

This came out nice

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Grilled up some portobello mushrooms

They seemed to have shrunk and lost some structure

Is it more ideal to grill them less and keep more of their structure or is it a preference thing

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

How much or little you grill them is purely up to you. I'd probably grill less but I'm also not a huge fan of mushrooms to begin with.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Grilled up some portobello mushrooms

They seemed to have shrunk and lost some structure

Is it more ideal to grill them less and keep more of their structure or is it a preference thing

It’s a personal preference. They definitely shrink a good amount because there’s a shitload of water in them. I like to get them so that they’re just soft enough to not have any crunch to them.

I love throwing portobellos on the grill. It’s a super easy way to have a vegetarian meal. Most of the time I end up turning them into burgers.

I just marinate them in a little balsamic vinegar, olive oil, minced garlic, oregano, salt, pepper. Toss them on the grill on medium heat, then flip them over and add cheese to melt and let them go another 10 minutes or so.

Put them in a burger bun with lettuce, tomato, onion, and whatever you like on a burger and it’s a pretty satisfying vegetarian meal.

On that note, I feel like smoking ribs tomorrow.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Learning experiences today. First, I made some sablefish with homemade aioli with roasted sweet potatoes, then forgot to add the pickled red onions to the potatoes. But I have them for leftovers, at least.

Beer braised pork belly (the recipe included throwing an egg in there, don't @ me) and sichuan green beans. Pretty good, but I have yet to braise anything that's wow'ed me.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Bit of a Japanese day today.

Nasu dengaku made with agave syrup for sweetness and kohitsuji teriyaki with crispy chilli panko and charred vegetables.

Fire, and whisky.

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 30, 2022

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Salad, breadsticks, fettuccini and meatballs.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Totally forgot we had our third Monday public holiday in a row so had to scrounge dinner together, including quick baking a bread roll. Made a beef casserole with mash.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

iajanus posted:

Totally forgot we had our third Monday public holiday in a row so had to scrounge dinner together, including quick baking a bread roll. Made a beef casserole with mash.

That bread looks especially great, and would demolish that casserole.

Today i made a chicken, bacon and mushroom pie with triple cooked chips. (semi-rough) puff pastry from scratch because I'm a masochist. (folded and layered, but very lazily)

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
Baked aubergines with a tomato chilli jam and lime yoghurt. So many flavours in the jam. I'd say the joys of having bank holiday time to cook, but actually it all came together pretty quickly.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

So, this was my dinner a couple nights ago and definitely one of the tastiest things I’ve cooked, I think… (Please excuse the rusty tea kettle in the background, I’ve bought my roommate a new tea kettle but he refuses to throw the old one away!)

I dry-brined the filets with salt/pepper for about 12 hours in my fridge, then took them out an hour prior to cooking. I got my pan at a fairly high heat and added grapeseed oil, and as I seared the filets I added to the pan the following: some sprigs of fresh thyme and fresh rosemary, a few cloves of garlic smooshed with my hands, and a fairly big shallot chopped into quarters. I left the shallots/garlic in their original wrappings somewhat to keep them from scorching too much, and after adding all that to the pan I also added about 4 TBSP (half a stick) of unsalted butter to the pan, melting it into the herbs/aromatics as I lightly seared the sides of the filets.

After that I tipped the pan slightly and basted like a crazy person for about 90 seconds with the foaming butter, flipped them and basted for another minute. Then I put the whole pan in the oven at 350 degrees for about 7 minutes - the above picture was taken just after the 7 minutes were up and I took the pan out of the oven. Turned out REALLY tasty, steaks were perfect medium-rare and bursting with flavor. Even the shallots were incredibly delicious (it was my first time trying them in this mix). I think I’m going to add mushrooms next time.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 4, 2022

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Keeping it vegetarian this Cinco with fried plantains, rainbow chard, and rice.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Olpainless posted:

Fire, and whisky.

Good good stuff. Here's some stuff from this week:

Deconstructed lettuce wraps with a bunch of kale thrown in

Green beans and tofu with chraimeh sauce (it looks just like pad prik king, but isn't)

I was going to make oyakodon. But my ingredients for dashi didn't come in today, and I didn't want to run to the store. So I used the main ingredients for lazy bourbon chicken

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Omurice

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

It's what I point to in the eternal "do you put ketchup on eggs?" debate, looks awesome!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Leftovers

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

I don't normally cook for myself and prefer to cook for other people, but tonight I was in a mood and made(slightly overcooked) steak and an omelette with cabbage and onion topped with cheese and mustard, alil mayo inside the fold.
It was all pretty good.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

nesamdoom posted:

I don't normally cook for myself and prefer to cook for other people, but tonight I was in a mood and made(slightly overcooked) steak and an omelette with cabbage and onion topped with cheese and mustard, alil mayo inside the fold.
It was all pretty good.

The omelette is sort of like a low-carb knish with eggs instead of potato.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

The omelette is sort of like a low-carb knish with eggs instead of potato.

Never heard of knish so I looked it up and this is pretty accurate. The egg was mostly involved to tied everything together.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I think I’ve perfected my rather basic (but delicious) bacon—wrapped filet mignon dish, at long last… the bacon makes the mushrooms taste so incredibly good. Think this plate still needs a potato of some sort to really be complete, though….

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It looks good except the bacon looks pretty raw. Maybe it's just the photo, but you might want to try cooking it partway before wrapping it around the filet.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

This looks amazing.

kaworu posted:

I think I’ve perfected my rather basic (but delicious) bacon—wrapped filet mignon dish, at long last… the bacon makes the mushrooms taste so incredibly good. Think this plate still needs a potato of some sort to really be complete, though….

I'd think a quarterd baked potato would work.and could be set nicely when plating. Centered filet and mushroom for the gaps between potato. Looks super yum regardless of me having simple thoughts on putting things on things.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Grilled Bream, butterflied, deboned and stuffed with aromatics and homemade Thai green curry paste. Rice and stir-fried sesame/ginger pak choi.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

It looks good except the bacon looks pretty raw. Maybe it's just the photo, but you might want to try cooking it partway before wrapping it around the filet.

I’ve found a good way to do bacon wrapped anything it to partially cook the bacon the microwave until it’s just barely bendable enough to wrap something in.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Thanks guys! And the bacon was a little undercooked, but definitely not dangerously so. Besides, for me the point of doing the bacon wrap is absolutely for flavor and not just adding a slice of bacon to everything - it makes the filet even juicier and tastier, and the crust where the bacon had been wrapped goes from being a less desirable part of the steak to maybe the tastiest. It also makes the mushrooms and scallions (and anything else you want to put in the pan) WAY tastier… just lifts up everything else in the dish IMO.

I don’t know that I would want to cook it beforehand, because it’s the process of the bacon being cooked on the filet and all that fat being rendered in the pan that makes everything so much tastier, I think.

If I were really dedicated to making the bacon perfectly cooked, I’d probably unwrap it in the pan after the filet was fully cooked and crisp it up a bit more in there while the steak rests for a few minutes on the plate. Might be a cool thing to try, but to be honest I kinda like chewy bacon rather than crispy, so it works for me :)

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Oyakodon

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.
Thank you for reminding me that oyakdon exists and that I haven't made it in a long time.

Looks good.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Made some Korean Mexican-American style tacos. Not bad but could probably use a little work.

Flour tortillas
Bulgogi ground beef
Melted jack cheese
Asian romaine & cabbage slaw
Tomato kimchi salsa
Garlic pickled gochugaru peppers
Gochugaru honey hot sauce
Sesame seeds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003