Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I never said they were planned to have a purpose after the crusades. Only that during the crusades part of their role was to act as inspirational figure heads, similar but lesser than the primarchs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
While it's an interesting thought experiment most of the superficial cosmetic effects of massive hormone treatment can easily be avoided especially if you account for 30k super science (magic)

You'll still look like. 300 pound gorilla on steroids at the end of it but having a perfectly chiseled face and a full head of hair isn't an impossible ask.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Z the IVth posted:

Having a perfectly chiseled face and a full head of hair isn't an impossible ask.

Sir, astartes pattern baldness affects a large part of the astartes population and not even Cawl can entirely fix it.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Z the IVth posted:

While it's an interesting thought experiment most of the superficial cosmetic effects of massive hormone treatment can easily be avoided especially if you account for 30k super science (magic)

You'll still look like. 300 pound gorilla on steroids at the end of it but having a perfectly chiseled face and a full head of hair isn't an impossible ask.

Or if you're lucky enough to get that sexy Fulgrim geneseed which apparently gives you a much more aesthetic greek god body instead of the "barrel-torso slab of grox meat in a scowling sack" classic marine look (at least I vaguely remember that from The Outcast Dead).

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
Little behind everyone but just finished Penitent. What a loving wild ride. Great read. What was up with the random Malleus inquisitor though? Interested to read more.. from the big Valdor reveal, to 5 craftworlds bearing down, the Immaterium Collage. I missed a bunch of HH books because they were so bad but have the College been covered before? This feels like a huge game changer that doesn't seem reflective in the TT yet though.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
sci-fi is descended from the gothic novel, not from actual science anything. the first scifi novel was frankenstein. given that, the bequin series goes hard into the gothic aesthetics of the gothic novel and turns down the spaceships even harder than the rest of 40k, which is already heavy on the gothic and light on the science.

one of the gothic themes that feature less often than expected in 40k stuff compared to ordinary gothic novels is drunken dissolute drug-addled failure as a constant aesthetic theme (outside of depictions of slaneesh stuff ofc), so they put some in there. also great heaping helpings of irrational behavior, Stuff Man Was Not Supposed To Know, that drat seance, etc etc.

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 17, 2022

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it is probsbly worth reading robert chambers's 1895 book the king in yellow before the bequin books, specifically, despite that book having nothing to do w warhams

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am interested in the Kragnos and Witch Hunter Books.

Not saying the books were bad or anything, those were just the last two AoS novels I remember releasing. After that it's been 30k and 40k and even Black Library open was disappointingly thin on AoS.
But then I also agree with Track of Words article I found that talked about that event being disappointing as a whole.

There was also Gothgirl Gothghul Hollow that came out recently-ish. But that one is a Warhammer Horror book so doesn't really count in this case since that's a separate label.
Haven't seen all much traction there either for that part. And Crime only recently got kicked back to life.

Probably talking out of my rear end here but it feels like there's something going on that GW/BL doesn't really want to talk about. Which is annoying considering how forward they have been about other stuff in the past.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think they need to devote a couple more authors to AoS.

I thought they did but apparently something seemingly happened and they all said "no" and I guess decided to go write for Aconyte or something. v:v:v

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Pentinent Ending Spoiler Discussion

I think Valdor being the King in Yellow and having hosed right off after the closing of the Heresy to start a fallback/back up plan at direct instructions from the big E would be pretty cool. Assume Terra will fall, which immediately after the Heresy future lookin pretty dicey I'd bet, fully appreciate the zerg rush of daemons coming out of the Palace, figure you won't ever be able to hold them, let big E hopefully reincarnate and make his way to a safe place to regroup. That's a really cool and suitably epic arc for someone who is still nominally alive in 40K.

to Ed balls balls man's point I really wonder how they're going to or if they're going to have a nice big let down at the end where this apparently massive and powerful splinter faction dies quietly in the dark. Hell maybe they were responsible for the Great Rift and trying to give big E a jolt and they all got wiped out doing that.

Alternatively, given how close to the chest they played the squats, maybe we're going to get an entire Imperium 2.0 refresh or ~another~ new faction but I kind of doubt they'd release anything that significant without letting squats have the market for a year or two.

We've also got apparently the Lion slated at coming back soon-ish (what was the origin of this?) and a host of new Emperor inspired daemons flying around (whats up st. celestine) so from a meta perspective, I'm expecting the resolution of this trilogy to be a big old let down, but I hope its not.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The stakes and implications of what Abnett wrote seem so large to me that I can't imagine they'd ever relegate that kind of reveal to a book

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

The stakes and implications of what Abnett wrote seem so large to me that I can't imagine they'd ever relegate that kind of reveal to a book

This tbf.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i think it can just be a tack on thing for custodes or sisters or whatever

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

wiegieman posted:

Lots of characters, even good old Rowboat, spend a lot of time convincing themselves that the Astartes were made for some kind of constructive purpose, some sort of grand design leading towards a bright future for humanity.

All of them are wrong.
It was always amusing in the Night Lords series when one of them would say something like: "We built the Imperium, so we get to destroy it." Except that everything they have direct control over (like their ships) is worn down and decrepit. They never built anything, they just destroyed everything so that others could build.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Plucky Brit posted:

It was always amusing in the Night Lords series when one of them would say something like: "We built the Imperium, so we get to destroy it." Except that everything they have direct control over (like their ships) is worn down and decrepit. They never built anything, they just destroyed everything so that others could build.

The self-deception is my favorite underlying theme in the Night Lords trilogy. I think it's explored best in book 2, where somebody shows them incredible respect, makes a bargain incredibly in their favor, and they still manage to gently caress it all up.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The Night Lords trilogy is full of poo poo like that. The other big thing is that their main criticism of the Imperium is that they arent big enough fascists.

Edit: say what you will about the World Eaters and Thousand Sons but at least they have real reasons to hate the Imperium

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 17, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well the World Eaters probably have more of a beef with Angron, but the point stands.

The perpetual bitter assholes of the Iron Warriors definitely have a legitimate beef that they managed to undermine with their own lovely behavior.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Waroduce posted:

Alternatively, given how close to the chest they played the squats, maybe we're going to get an entire Imperium 2.0 refresh or ~another~ new faction but I kind of doubt they'd release anything that significant without letting squats have the market for a year or two.

We've also got apparently the Lion slated at coming back soon-ish (what was the origin of this?) and a host of new Emperor inspired daemons flying around (whats up st. celestine) so from a meta perspective, I'm expecting the resolution of this trilogy to be a big old let down, but I hope its not.

[/spoiler]

Given Abnett's track record with the Bequin novels (and he's still got to do the Royal Rumble on the Vengeful Spirit!), Valdor's golden boys will make an appearance in time for 11th Ed.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Waroduce posted:

Pentinent Ending Spoiler Discussion

to Ed balls balls man's point I really wonder how they're going to or if they're going to have a nice big let down at the end where this apparently massive and powerful splinter faction dies quietly in the dark. Hell maybe they were responsible for the Great Rift and trying to give big E a jolt and they all got wiped out doing that.

I didn't reread Pariah before diving into this - so I could be talking poo poo.

But Pariah was written in 2012/2013 when GW was peak arse - a backwards looking company nickle and diming everything with BL churning out poor value limited editions, crap HH and a million shorts.. I don't think originally Abnett was going to go so hard with this storyline originally. Might be because I haven't reread but I don't remember any hints of the Blood Angels before - but now Valdor has potentially legion strength in the warp.

Now - the SoT books have started to add to this thread with Valdor and the geneticist. Now GW is back, advancing the story, squats are back, primaris, Eldar refresh. Covid hits causing delays across the launches - but I really feel this is the next big storyline like most others have said.

Only thing that I really need exploring is

A) The Malleus inqusitor who just, gave up being an inquisitor.
B) Eisenhorn/Ravenor was set before the Nids were even about - and if Valdor is close to completiing his plan - does that mean it was all finished and it isnt the next big thread? Or stuck in the warp shenanagins etc.
C) If Alizibeth was one of the templates for Pariahs used by Valdor - then the Graels, big plan can't be that old surely - however it was noted a few times how decoding enuncia took a long time and its nearly over, discarding of the Cognitae etc.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The College is abnett only I’m pretty sure

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

euphronius posted:

The College is abnett only I’m pretty sure

I'm also pretty sure I've never seen anyone else mention it or the Cognate (spelling) but Enuncia was a core foundational piece of the Eisenhorn trilogy which i never saw mention anywhere until it became a foundational piece of the Siege of Terra (although not the Heresy series at large i believe, nor has it been mentioned in 40k i dont think)I'd be interested in giving some thought to tracing what's made it out of the core Eisenhorn/Ravenor trilogy into the buckets of the Bequin Trilogy, the Heresy, the Siege and the new 40k timeline

Perpetuals were not mentioned in the Eisenhorn/Ravenor trilogy, but a day one Heresy deal as early as Abnetts Legion (book 7) and integrated into the wider Heresy books by other authors. I've always very much expected them to wrap all those characters up through various means by the time or shortly after Big E bites it mostly because I've not seen any of them mentioned in anything taking place after the Heresy.

I don't recall Petinent stuff ever seeing those weird blood angles under the Pentinet planet anywhere else either

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Waroduce posted:

I don't recall Petinent stuff ever seeing those weird blood angles under the Pentinet planet anywhere else either

:ssh: They're Sanguinius clones. Being not-Chaos clearly does wonders for your ability to make functional not-mad Primarch clones.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Z the IVth posted:

:ssh: They're Sanguinius clones. Being not-Chaos clearly does wonders for your ability to make functional not-mad Primarch clones.

I apparently totally missed this or interpreted similarly to Little Horus back in day lookin like big Horus

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Grammaticus is from way back in 2008.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

euphronius posted:

Grammaticus is from way back in 2008.

Nah he's been around forever, he's a perpetual

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Z the IVth posted:

This is how I interpreted it. However, the more I think about it, the more I think they might be something between a full Sanguinius and a space marine, perhaps implanted into a blank.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Waroduce posted:

I apparently totally missed this or interpreted similarly to Little Horus back in day lookin like big Horus

Nothing is outright said in the text so I could just be horribly wrong. However, Camus was wrestling and beating fully armed and armoured, psychically gifted Chaos Marines whilst wearing naught but his perfectly wrought pubes. I don't think even Custodes could make that claim.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Penitent Oh, Sanguinius clone, never even thought of that. Maybe some nods to Fabius Bile then, I know he's pretty into cloning the big guys

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

OPAONI posted:

This is how I interpreted it. However, the more I think about it, the more I think they might be something between a full Sanguinius and a space marine, perhaps implanted into a blank.

I thought they were a sort of space marine 2.0, kinda like the primaris.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Khizan posted:

I thought they were a sort of space marine 2.0, kinda like the primaris.

yeah from what we see of the other side, they're the mass produced footsoldiers for Valdor's armies, thats speaks more to being some sort of upgraded space marines rather than full on primarch clones

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I assumed they were basically just blood angels but crafted using a more bespoke, Custodes-like process and incorporating more of Sanguinius’s traits. Valdor famously disliked Astartes and saw them as soulless, mass-produced things.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

My assumption was that they were the end result of Black Raging for several millennia, then getting snapped out of it. If Mephiston became the Lord of Death after a week trapped under a trapped church, then these dudes are what happens if you let the process just keep going.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bob dobbs is dead posted:

it is probsbly worth reading robert chambers's 1895 book the king in yellow before the bequin books, specifically, despite that book having nothing to do w warhams

Inquisitor Rustin Cohle

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I wish they’d pay abnett to write more hams. Maybe it doesn’t work that way idk.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

IshmaelZarkov posted:

My assumption was that they were the end result of Black Raging for several millennia, then getting snapped out of it. If Mephiston became the Lord of Death after a week trapped under a trapped church, then these dudes are what happens if you let the process just keep going.

Yeah, this was my take too. The gene seed flaw basically makes beserkers, but normally they're pushed into suicidal combat before they reach full on wing spouting crazy vamp territory so tend to die off. Similar to the Wulfen (if I remember them right - not really a Space Wolf fan). Being in the presence of a blank switches off the warp voices and Horus flashbacks leaving you with a super roided up winged astartes slab with some nasty extra tools and more than a chunk of Sanguinious in there.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I assumed they were basically just blood angels but crafted using a more bespoke, Custodes-like process and incorporating more of Sanguinius’s traits. Valdor famously disliked Astartes and saw them as soulless, mass-produced things.

Wasn't Valdor's issue with Space Marines was not them being soulless but too emotional and too loyal to their primarch?

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

it is probsbly worth reading robert chambers's 1895 book the king in yellow before the bequin books, specifically, ESPECIALLY because that book having nothing to do w warhams

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Also re spoiler from the Abnetticus

I think they're going to be the holy emperor equivalent to Chaos pure demon armies. Trapping fragments of the power of virtuous traits being projected into the ether by humanity and jamming those into some special clones.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Angry Lobster posted:

Sir, astartes pattern baldness affects a large part of the astartes population and not even Cawl can entirely fix it.

keep my battle brothers name out ya fuckin mouth

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I remember someone posting about one description of marines having horse like facial structure.

And the sisters of battle generally think of marines as idiotic ugly mutant bastard children.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Apr 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

I remember someone posting about one description of marines having horse like facial structure.

And the sisters of battle generally think of marines as idiotic ugly mutant bastard children.

There was Inquisitor Heldane who literally had a face like a horse and for the life of me I can't remember why that was. Possibly reconstructed after some massive wound?

And I think right back in the first HH novel the narrator is talking about Loken and how he'd be classically handsome if he didn't have the giganticism in his features that comes with the process of being turned into an astartes. I think it might have been where the horse-like description came from