Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

TheWorldsaStage posted:

The grass? It streams and is beautiful and makes me wish for a ridiculous draw distance. With those hills in the back it would be so freaking amazing.

The grass glows in a diamond pattern on this planet rather than big flows.

As for the lights in the sky that's just how the stars look from the planet. Planets gain an odd glow from it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

had the ui been updated to make staying in 3rd person in your ship work yet?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My game has crashed more in the last couple of days than it ever has.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Oh hey, the cargo glitch works for nanites too. Cheers to tipping me off to that

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Even with the money exploit upgrading a ship's storage is some rough stuff with last couple of dozen slots costing 300 million units a piece. :pwn:

So if I install the exocraft summon room on my freighter and have the exocrafts near my base somewhere (so I "own" them) does that mean I can summon any of them to any planet I'm on as long as my freighter is in the same system, or only in the same system as my base is?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

You need the exocraft somewhere, anywhere. Then you can summon them on any planet in the same system as your freighter. So summon freighter = summon exocraft to be clear.

On expeditions, other players exocraft buildings might also count as yours. Happened to me once.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Okay cool, thanks! Finally exocraft are worth investing in then.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Zodack posted:

Oh hey, the cargo glitch works for nanites too. Cheers to tipping me off to that

Wait, how? I’m always running out of nanites.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

Wait, how? I’m always running out of nanites.

Same way but with upgrade modules (placed on ship’s cargo). Sell to upgrade merchants.

I found a sail ship on the first station I parked and now I’m upgrading it to S-Class and buying more cargo for it while tanking the local economy :getin:

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 17, 2022

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ok these pirate attacks are a little much. Putting the expedition on hold and gonna find some proper weapons/upgrade for my ship.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Figured the twitch drops out. Even though I had everything linked on Twitch, I had to go through Hello Games' website and link things there again to make it work.

I kept getting webpage errors, but with repeated reloads it worked.

Now - where the hell do I get storm crystals? I can't make a warp hypercore without them, but I can't seem to find a planet that has them.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

They only really appear when there is a storm going. When there is no storm going, they just blend in like any other rocks, but will open up and glow bright blue once a storm starts. Gather as many as you can if you need cash as they sell for a decent amount.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Dunno-Lars posted:

They only really appear when there is a storm going. When there is no storm going, they just blend in like any other rocks, but will open up and glow bright blue once a storm starts. Gather as many as you can if you need cash as they sell for a decent amount.

Is there a way to tell what kind of planet will have them though?

Also...money isn't really a big deal with the sell bug. I love this bug.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Vasler posted:

Is there a way to tell what kind of planet will have them though?

Extreme weather planets, I usually find them on ice worlds.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I mean basically every paradise planet has them. They never fixed it that whatever pleasant world you find it'll have occasional hell storms. 150 hours of this game and I haven't found a nice grassy planet that doesn't turn into an oven every 10 minutes.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
If I haven't played for a couple of years and just want to start over on a new save, is doing the expedition and then keeping it as my 'main' save fine? Or are there still issues of messed up quests and I'd be better off also starting a normal non-expedition game?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Danith posted:

If I haven't played for a couple of years and just want to start over on a new save, is doing the expedition and then keeping it as my 'main' save fine? Or are there still issues of messed up quests and I'd be better off also starting a normal non-expedition game?

The latter, just do the expedition for unlocks and make a 'real' main save.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Danith posted:

The purpose of the expedition seems to be to speed run through the main bits of the game to catch your save up to where up it should be to play the new content. So I would suggest making it your main save. You'll still have the main campaign available at any time. Plus if it's been a few years, there's a good chance the old save will have bugs.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Stare-Out posted:

I mean basically every paradise planet has them. They never fixed it that whatever pleasant world you find it'll have occasional hell storms. 150 hours of this game and I haven't found a nice grassy planet that doesn't turn into an oven every 10 minutes.

The system I've made my home has one paradise moon and one green swampy planet, both of which have no storms and no Sentinels. Of course, since they're in a high-conflict system, that no longer matters because every two minutes a fleet of pirate ships will appear out of nowhere to murder you anytime you're on a planet's surface.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Same way but with upgrade modules (placed on ship’s cargo). Sell to upgrade merchants.

I found a sail ship on the first station I parked and now I’m upgrading it to S-Class and buying more cargo for it while tanking the local economy :getin:

Oh fantastic! 500,000 nanites should do me for a while. Might farm a bit more later, make it a million

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

CaptainSkinny posted:

The purpose of the expedition seems to be to speed run through the main bits of the game to catch your save up to where up it should be to play the new content. So I would suggest making it your main save. You'll still have the main campaign available at any time. Plus if it's been a few years, there's a good chance the old save will have bugs.

A lot of people suggest that you'll face worse bugs if you make the expedition your main save, including main quests not working as intended.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

If I want storage that I can dump anything into and pull anything out of at any time is the freighter with the cargo teleporter upgrade the best option? I only just got to the point where I now have a freighter with storage onboard and I'm trying to figure out the most optimal storage solution now that I have it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

explosivo posted:

If I want storage that I can dump anything into and pull anything out of at any time is the freighter with the cargo teleporter upgrade the best option? I only just got to the point where I now have a freighter with storage onboard and I'm trying to figure out the most optimal storage solution now that I have it.

100%. Freighter, cargo teleporter, the storage boxes and an indium drive will mean you can summon the freighter to you in any system and access all of it from anywhere.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I just bought this game yesterday and spent about 4-5 hours figuring stuff out / playing through the opening mission stuff. I got the the Anomaly and did the weekend mission to kill a bunch of plants. I also followed some youtubers guide and got a basic base built and am making chlorine from oxygen and chlorine and quickly made a few million doing that.

So, today I found this thread and had a few questions since this game has been redeveloped so much.

1. How out of date is the stuff in the OP?
2. What is this money exploit / cargo glitch and is it a problem to be using as a new player?

There's a lot of stuff to figure out!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

100%. Freighter, cargo teleporter, the storage boxes and an indium drive will mean you can summon the freighter to you in any system and access all of it from anywhere.

Awesome, thank you!

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Vasler posted:

Figured the twitch drops out. Even though I had everything linked on Twitch, I had to go through Hello Games' website and link things there again to make it work.

I kept getting webpage errors, but with repeated reloads it worked.

Now - where the hell do I get storm crystals? I can't make a warp hypercore without them, but I can't seem to find a planet that has them.

If you're trying to repair the tech on the freighter for the expedition, I did that by taking a mission at the Nexus that rewarded 3 repair kits. I already had the quantum computer part installed, so I just used a repair kit for the warp hypercore part and one for the Cadmium that I was having a hard time trying to find too. I figured there'd be one planet with it along the expedition path, at least to the first rendezvous but I didn't see one.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

That Works posted:

I just bought this game yesterday and spent about 4-5 hours figuring stuff out / playing through the opening mission stuff. I got the the Anomaly and did the weekend mission to kill a bunch of plants. I also followed some youtubers guide and got a basic base built and am making chlorine from oxygen and chlorine and quickly made a few million doing that.

So, today I found this thread and had a few questions since this game has been redeveloped so much.

1. How out of date is the stuff in the OP?
2. What is this money exploit / cargo glitch and is it a problem to be using as a new player?

There's a lot of stuff to figure out!

The OP was made from info circa ~2018 so it might be a bit old but skimming through it I think most of it still applies. The money exploit is up to you, really. Having effectively infinite units has allowed me to quickly get a freighter going and buy a new weapon/slots for the backpack but I'm still gated by nanites anyway so it doesn't feel super cheap (although there may be a way to do the same glitch with nanites? I haven't looked into figuring out how and might just keep it at duping credits anyway)

The exploit:
Place goods in the cargo hold on your ship, then at a space station go to the trade terminal on the wall, switch to your starship inventory, and sell the items in your cargo hold. They don't ever leave the inventory so you can just keep re-selling as many times as you want. Do this enough to buy a shitload of Wiring Looms then shove them in the cargo hold and do it again for even more/quicker money.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

explosivo posted:

The OP was made from info circa ~2018 so it might be a bit old but skimming through it I think most of it still applies. The money exploit is up to you, really. Having effectively infinite units has allowed me to quickly get a freighter going and buy a new weapon/slots for the backpack but I'm still gated by nanites anyway so it doesn't feel super cheap (although there may be a way to do the same glitch with nanites? I haven't looked into figuring out how and might just keep it at duping credits anyway)

The exploit:
Place goods in the cargo hold on your ship, then at a space station go to the trade terminal on the wall, switch to your starship inventory, and sell the items in your cargo hold. They don't ever leave the inventory so you can just keep re-selling as many times as you want. Do this enough to buy a shitload of Wiring Looms then shove them in the cargo hold and do it again for even more/quicker money.

Thanks so much!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

explosivo posted:

(although there may be a way to do the same glitch with nanites? I haven't looked into figuring out how and might just keep it at duping credits anyway)

The exploit works the same way with module upgrades which sells for nanites.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Also worth noting is the ship-cargo exploit is ostensibly fixed in the "experimental" build so whenever a new update hits (I'd put a non-zero amount of money on "today") that's gonna evaporate

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Also worth noting is the ship-cargo exploit is ostensibly fixed in the "experimental" build so whenever a new update hits (I'd put a non-zero amount of money on "today") that's gonna evaporate

Time to stockpile this morning

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I've got 3,000,000 nanites stored up on my main save, should be good for a while.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

e: nvm

That Works fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 18, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

That Works posted:

So just tried for the exploit and with the stuff in my cargo hold it doesn't show up on the trade terminal for the on-planet base I am landed at. It shows items on the ship inventory, but not the cargo hold itself. Does it need to be done at a space station or?

I've only done it at a space station, might not be do-able at an on-planet base?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I've never played this game before, and I think I'll be picking it up for Switch when it's released. I don't care about lower textures or missing shadows. :colbert:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This game is going to be great on the Deck

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I just started playing over the weekend. Stashed up 150m in space-dollars and 20k nanites with the exploit. Should be enough to get my feet off the ground.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Just getting into this as well, having fun but this pirate raid bullshittery needs to be toned down. I strayed too far from my ship when I started getting strafed by villainous spacepigdogs and sadly discovered that terraforming yourself into a cave 70u below ground gives zero protection from ship weaponry.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Government Handjob posted:

Just getting into this as well, having fun but this pirate raid bullshittery needs to be toned down. I strayed too far from my ship when I started getting strafed by villainous spacepigdogs and sadly discovered that terraforming yourself into a cave 70u below ground gives zero protection from ship weaponry.

The irritating but functional solution right now is to bring a manual save point with you, plop it down when the pirates show up and reload the save to reset the pirate attack timer (for another 10 minutes, at least)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
I guess that's better than nothing. From what I can tell everyone seems pretty optimistic about the devs being on top of this, so hopefully it'll get patched pretty quick.