Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Raine posted:

they have some of the heaviest armor in the game. also you can run past that dude unless you're trying to farm him

if you're set on murder, make sure you off the burst down the smaller guys first. then use your preferred summon to tag team him

I've tried killing his buddies then going in with a summon, but he smokes all my summons in seconds... then smokes me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Please give me some tips for killing Prelates in Mountaintops of the Giants. These are the fat fire enemies with the burning, uh, bowl thing on their head.

I'm at the very first one (near the long narrow bridge) and I've been just unable to kill it. I'm used to enemies which flinch when you hit them, but I haven't found a thing which delays or interrupts this enemy's attacks. As a result, the best I can do is dodge attacks until I land one hit at a time. However, I do so little damage to this enemy that I just can't perfectly dodge it for the several minutes straight that it would take me to kill it.

I'm a level 100-ish dex Samurai using a Katana.

Does it have heavy armor? Should I be using a Striking weapon? (But I tried one and did no better.) I'm confused why I do so little damage when I do do plenty to other normal enemies.

Spam magic arrows with your mimic, or just ride torrent.

You don't have to fight. Hit da bricks. Real winners quit.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Apparently you can’t get this sword if you’ve killed the fire giant already so that’s a non-starter

Ok then definitely do the black knife Tiche and lots of running strat.

Also, I've seen a ton of people do a bow with barrage ash of war and they just Legolas it while their ash holds aggro.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Hi again I got over my armour issues and made it to the end of the game, now what am I meant to do when the Elden Beast decides to go on vacation to the far end of the universe and just throw arcs of bullshit that move at five times the speed of light at me while I glacially waddle back towards it, tia.

Elden Beast does almost entirely holy damage so wear Haligdrake Talisman +2, Pearldrake Talisman +2, and use a holy resistance buff. Lord's Divine Fortification is the best, but if you can't cast it just bring some holyproof livers and chow down. You can easily get up to 75% damage reduction and just facetank everything while you close distance.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I've tried killing his buddies then going in with a summon, but he smokes all my summons in seconds... then smokes me too.

if all else fails try using the L2+R1 of the Death's Poker. that's how i farmed that specific prelate

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Finally at the end of the game, haven't beaten Elden Beast yet but I have to say, after the fun fight designs that are Malenia, Hoarah Loux, and Radagon; Beast is one of the most annoying and poorly designed fights in the game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
really hope someone eventually gets From to straightforwardly explain why Torrent was omitted from that fight, it's such an obvious and boneheaded move

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Torrent would kind of make the Beast a pretty easy fight.

Now he’s just kind of annoying which isn’t a good direction to go but I can understand the process

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

satanic splash-back posted:

If you think this game is tuned to be 100% beatable solo by an average player then you don't understand how bad the average "gamer" is at everything

It's probably just semantics over what I/you mean by "tuned". In my mind the bosses are tuned for solo play because they have attacks that are all avoidable through difficult execution, and also attack windows that are just wide enough to get a few attacks in. IMO if they were "tuned" for summons or coop then they wouldn't be designed this way, they'd have designed them to expect the bosses aggro to be split regularly, or for someone to be ranking while the other does damage, etc.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

my favorite part about the elden beast fight is watching streamers be locked on while the pillar of death attack is happening, their camera comically focused to the sky, and dying. then they don't know how they died and repeat this mistake

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Raine posted:

my favorite part about the elden beast fight is watching streamers be locked on while the pillar of death attack is happening, their camera comically focused to the sky, and dying. then they don't know how they died and repeat this mistake

Yeah, honestly locking in is almost always a bad idea for large bosses

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I can't stress enough that if you struggle with the game at all upgrade black knife Tiche.

"But I don't have the mind/FP to summon black knife Tiche. She costs 132 FP!" you might say.

Well, good news, there's a tear for your physick flask that makes everything cost 0 fp, so even if you have a mind of 1 you can still summon Tiche.

Ghost Glovewort for upgrading is all over the place in catacombs and cemeteries and the underworld.

Dump everything into Tiche. She is amazing if you need someone to hold aggro and tank hits for you because you're slow or not the best at evasion/parrying.

And if you want to be a little cheaty magoo, Seluvis has a puppet that spams sleep arrows which is absolutely incredible if you're kinda clumsy and have a hard time cycling flasks and weapons in the heat of battle. Pretty much everything can take sleep damage, and if they don't they at least get staggered by it. So you can buy yourself 30 seconds of respite where you get a free stagger attack, or a 2 second punish window.

Mimic Tear, Sleepy Puppet, and Tiche are all god tier.

If you're a mage, a good option is also Cleanrot Knight Finlay, who does excessive faith damage which you probably can't do, and so she makes a great companion. Especially in catacombs bosses and Liurnia where everything is extremely weak to faith attacks.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Raine posted:

Is that the golden laser beam that vertically comes down and smashes me dead sometimes when I’m right up in his business, with no visible tell that anything is coming because my screen is just the boss filling the whole thing and suddenly I explode?

Or is there another bullshit golden something that’ll kill me in a later phase I can look forward to?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

jisforjosh posted:

Yeah, honestly locking in is almost always a bad idea for large bosses

My favorite is the Ulcerated Tree Spirit, which moves at lightning speed in a writhing motion so if you lock on you might as well have your TV in a centrifuge while you blink rapidly.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

Is that the golden laser beam that vertically comes down and smashes me dead sometimes when I’m right up in his business, with no visible tell that anything is coming because my screen is just the boss filling the whole thing and suddenly I explode?

Or is there another bullshit golden something that’ll kill me in a later phase I can look forward to?

it's the one where you gotta parkour over closing golden rings to get outta the death circle

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Raine posted:

it's the one where you gotta parkour over closing golden rings to get outta the death circle

Oh I just assumed those rings were exploding when they go to the centre and I was never far enough away to avoid the aoe after a successful jump. I’ve never noticed a pillar of nonsense in the middle of them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean that attack seems simple to dodge? I saw a ring and my first instinct was to not be in it

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

The Anime Liker posted:

My favorite is the Ulcerated Tree Spirit, which moves at lightning speed in a writhing motion so if you lock on you might as well have your TV in a centrifuge while you blink rapidly.

the absolute worst enemy in the game to lock on to are the loving dragonflies

their ai is broken somehow and sometimes they'll comically zip around in every direction at a thousand miles per hour

one time i just stood still while locked on and had my wife come and look

probably the closest i've come to getting whiplash through a television

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

well i think the elden beast and astel had a baby

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I like the Elden Beast fight a lot, it's visually and thematically gorgeous and I didn't find it too hard, but then, I'd deliberately set up the Mimic to tank and cast spells to easily draw aggro so that when the bullet hell sun comes out I can just focus on booking it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i think astel and the elden beast, and the other astel, all had a baby together and it's going to be the elizabeth the mushroom lady of the first dlc

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

The big one to watch for is a thigh-high circle that's closing in on you.

Run outward, away from the center of the ring. Jump over the ring. Keep running because it's now going to explode outward from the center. Jump that, too, if you didn't run far enough.

You can roll the sword hits, jump the ring, and run from everything else.

He's basically a bigger Placidussax. He's using cheap AOE attacks to keep melee fighters away. Either use a meme build to kill him faster than he kills you, Legolas him with ranged spam, or learn which attacks mean jump, roll, or run.

If you're doing melee, 100% use Tiche, and EB's lightning requires careful evasive running, the ring is running away jumping, and the sword is rolling. After his attack, glue yourself to a buttcheek and go hog wild until he starts the next attack.

"Don't get greedy" and all that.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

elden beast should have had a mechanic where the boss full heals upon hitting 5% HP, then a cutscene plays where torrent falls from the sky and finishes it off. then you can ride around the empty boss arena on your horse.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
torrent should have been the final boss,

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Torrent should have died trying to jump across the bridge on the way to the last boss

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

final boss should have been malenia riding a scarlet rot runebear

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Here’s a brain teaser for the thread.

If Farum Azula is unstuck in time, is it before or after the rest of the Lands Between? The fallen ruins suggest after, but again, that’s from the perspective of Land Between time and not Farum Azula time.

Consider if Placidusax even exists in the main timeline as well as the implications on Makekith.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Well I assumed that all of the ruins were in the lands between because it’s crumbling. I would guess before, or during, but i have no idea.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Megasabin posted:

It’s space. Astel came on a meteor like the falling star beast.

It seems like a lot of the game can be broken up into two categories

1) there’s the stuff that has no influence behind it and 2) stuff that has influence behind it

Sorceries are magic that came from a minerals that fell from space. It is atheistic and has no will behind it other than the end-user. Incantations are religious magic powered by a god, And each God seems to have an agenda

Astel and the Elden beast are alike in that they are monsters who came to earth from outer space. The difference is that Astel does not seem to have much purpose other than to exist survive and kill. Elden beast on the other hand wants to project it’s influence on the planet.

The overarching theme seems to be about control. The outer gods are all colonizers, coming to the land between to colonize and control others. There is a huge ongoing motif across the game about puppets, a master and slave relationship. Many of the races you see in the game are created in order to be subservient. Many of the Npcs are having an identity crisis because they are born in order to be subservient to someone else or raised in order to have their existence revolve around someone else

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Was Magic in dark souls ever separated into sorceries/incantations?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The baby astel is the starscourge beast. Like actually, I think

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Blue Raider posted:

Here’s a brain teaser for the thread.

If Farum Azula is unstuck in time, is it before or after the rest of the Lands Between? The fallen ruins suggest after, but again, that’s from the perspective of Land Between time and not Farum Azula time.

Consider if Placidusax even exists in the main timeline as well as the implications on Makekith.

You can see Faram Azula off in the distance from the isolated divine tower, so unless that place is also unstuck in time I think it's just physically out there, no time weirdness beyond the actual heart of the storm where you fight Placidusax..

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah , unless I’m misunderstanding. Miyazaki also said that he originally wanted to make spells have more ‘types’ in Elden ring, other than sorceries and faith, but it became too convoluted, so they settled on having different categories within sorcery, like glintstone, or glintblade, or carian, etc.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Steve Yun posted:

Magic / Faith has been in every souls. And Faith has always been the ultimate jock power where you shove those magic nerds in a locker.

Especially Demon's Souls and Elden Ring where a low level faith guy can just go ham in Latria/Liurnia and all those spooky wizards trying to freak you out with their dark powers just get obliterated by a Sunday school teacher.

Bloodborne had Arcane and something else

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

The Anime Liker posted:

Bloodborne had Arcane and something else

Bloodtinge, which they seem to have merged together.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

bop bop perano posted:

Yeah , unless I’m misunderstanding. Miyazaki also said that he originally wanted to make spells have more ‘types’ in Elden ring, other than sorceries and faith, but it became too convoluted, so they settled on having different categories within sorcery, like glintstone, or glintblade, or carian, etc.

Elden Ring also has crossovers like the Radagon stuff like Law of Regression/Causality that require Faith and INT instead of one or the other, and the dragon and blood stuff that's Faith and Arcane, or beast which is Faith and strength, etc.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
suddenly remembering how the beastmen of farum azula are noted to be master potters but use them primarily as combat tools

wait

where did the jar warriors come from

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

suddenly remembering how the beastmen of farum azula are noted to be master potters but use them primarily as combat tools

wait

I watched a YouTube lore video that speculated their purpose is to bring bodies to the Erdtrees, because you see a lot of broken ones at the feet of the minor trees. That doesn’t speak to their source though.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Oxxidation posted:

wait

Jar Lore:

The jars exist to gather up the blood and guts of the dead and then take that gore soup to the Erdtrees.

That's why there's a zillion empty pots around the minor Erdtrees. They completed their missions.

And after the shattering they kinda lost that motivation, so you ended up with Alexander gather up guts and realizing the warriors made him stronger and then he independently went in search of the guts of the toughest soldiers and warriors so he could have their power instead of the Erdtree.

Extrapolating from that, the Farum Azula guys made incredible pottery, some kind of magic gave some pots life, whether it was Marika or EB or whoever, and they had a purpose to serve the greater will, and then a few just kinda went rogue and had independent thoughts like Al and Jar-Bairn.

And of course there's the implication of The Great Jar where who knows how many people came to him to fight the three champions, all of whom are previously killed players, meaning there's an enormous jar who just sits in front of people getting murdered in 3 on 1 combat all day.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Raine posted:

the absolute worst enemy in the game to lock on to are the loving dragonflies

their ai is broken somehow and sometimes they'll comically zip around in every direction at a thousand miles per hour

one time i just stood still while locked on and had my wife come and look

probably the closest i've come to getting whiplash through a television

they copied the ai from the bugs in monster hunter