Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

sweet geek swag posted:

I think he was saying that the legend was conflating events that were thousands of years apart, not that the events were actually contemporary.

Yes this, that the moogles legends of fleeing the Dragonsong War and fleeing Heaven are separate events. But being Oral Histories at best have become combined into a single tale of Good King Moggle Mog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Calling it an epilogue could also just mean that it's a story about dealing with the aftermath of the Zodiark and Hydaelyn situation, which... well, it is. While it's not clear exactly what the Twelve are doing, it is clear that it's a reaction of some kind to the power vacuum left by Hydaelyn's death.

FFXIV's writers love writing a 'see what people do the day after the final battle' kind of epilogue, that's what most of the .1 and .2 MSQs are. Maybe this is just that, but on a deific scale.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I thought they were auspices because when they show up in Rhalgr's Reach in animal form it plays that one song that always plays in the Doman Enclave. Was that song written for Stomblood or is it older and just happened to be used there?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Here's my current wrong theory about the gods. I think their animal forms are their true, original forms. They were either concepts or familiars created by ancients, and they managed to escape the sundering because the Elpis-like place where they were created got phase-shifted into its own little pocket dimension somehow. In the thousands of years hence, they evolved beyond their animal selves, gained sentience, and adopted idealized forms based on ancient people they remembered, like a dog or cat that gains intelligence and immortality would remember its long lost owner. And they've been watching the world, waiting for someone they recognize to return.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

Here's my current wrong theory about the gods. I think their animal forms are their true, original forms. They were either concepts or familiars created by ancients, and they managed to escape the sundering because the Elpis-like place where they were created got phase-shifted into its own little pocket dimension somehow. In the thousands of years hence, they evolved beyond their animal selves, gained sentience, and adopted idealized forms based on ancient people they remembered, like a dog or cat that gains intelligence and immortality would remember its long lost owner. And they've been watching the world, waiting for someone they recognize to return.

Man, especially after the isghardian role quest, it'd be loving hilarious to go to one of the priests and go "Yeah FYI your god was just some dude's pet cat."

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

CJ posted:

I thought they were auspices because when they show up in Rhalgr's Reach in animal form it plays that one song that always plays in the Doman Enclave. Was that song written for Stomblood or is it older and just happened to be used there?

IIRC it's Iroha's Theme from XI.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I wonder whether Twelve (each god representing some aspect of aether) are somehow related to Twelve Wonders (facility in Elpis tasked with balancing aspects of aether). Maybe they're some arcane entities or familiars used in Twelve Wonders for aether balancing that were post-sundering gifted soul and became 'gods' and started roleplaying Convocation.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Come to think of it, given that it's just like, a rule of the world that if an animal lives for a thousand years they get all sorts of crazy powers, I wonder if that applies to sentient people as well. The shades in fake amaurot thought we were plausibly ancient children. Perhaps the only reason we can't use creation magic (given a sufficient external source of aether) is that we're mortal and die before we hit the auspice level that marked ancient adulthood (since they're apparently unaging and would easily live a thousand years if nothing killed them).

Definitely in the realm of fanfic and I don't expect that connection to be explored but it just occurred to me.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Ibblebibble posted:

IIRC it's Iroha's Theme from XI.

Not that, this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxm50XrcPzM

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Krile can talk to animals, right? I was expecting something out of that when she met the baby opo opo

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
tbf if you're going to worship anything it might as well be an auspice

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Krile can talk to animals, right? I was expecting something out of that when she met the baby opo opo

I think she mentioned it as being a rumor that wasn't actually true.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I personally don't like the theory of the Twelve being auspicies because building this mystery around their true identity and then going "yeah they're just really old animals" would be quite a letdown.

There's also another detail: in the raid there's the trash boss Rhalgr's Emmisary, who is birdlike. And then we see Rhalgr in the form of a raven. I feel like they're both the same being, and the animal/monsters are just familiars they use to go incognito. Unless they explicitly said they were transformed, I kinda forgot the dialog already.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Me just now: "Oh hey! You're the 'Thal's balls' guy!"

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

readingatwork posted:

He (they?) even has a ball based attack in the fight :ssh:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Another thing to consider is that the Twelve might have something to do with the Allagans, since they make an explicit point of showing you that, wherever or whenever the Omphalos is, you can see the Crystal Tower from it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Fister Roboto posted:

Another thing to consider is that the Twelve might have something to do with the Allagans, since they make an explicit point of showing you that, wherever or whenever the Omphalos is, you can see the Crystal Tower from it.

they made the explicit point that twelve worship predated the allagan empire. If there's a connection, it's more likely to be to silvertear lake than the crystal tower.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

TheWorldsaStage posted:

She also has the Echo, so she can understand all spoken languages the same way the WoL can, but this would require the animal to be able to speak a language on its own. It also requires them to have a soul, because it works via soul-based shenanigans of some sort.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The geography of the zone doesn't really work. The Crystal Tower is to the North, and the big dome in Coerthas Central is to the West. The Crystal Tower in actuality is on the South end of Mor Dhona, and the entirety of Coerthas is North of Mor Dhona, but the dome in particular is to the North West of the Crystal Tower.

Another thing about being tied to the third era - there are basically no surviving records of anything before. Twelve worship could have been minutes after the sundering and we wouldn't know.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The geography of the zone doesn't really work. The Crystal Tower is to the North, and the big dome in Coerthas Central is to the West. The Crystal Tower in actuality is on the South end of Mor Dhona, and the entirety of Coerthas is North of Mor Dhona, but the dome in particular is to the North West of the Crystal Tower.

Another thing about being tied to the third era - there are basically no surviving records of anything before. Twelve worship could have been minutes after the sundering and we wouldn't know.

That dome is in northern mor dhona.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Failboattootoot posted:

That dome is in northern mor dhona.

Forgot about that one.

That would still put the Crystal Tower to the South, but it's basically straight Northward from the zone.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

the third era line seems to have confused more than it helped because I feel like about 50% of people I see citing it here and elsewhere read it to mean "started in the third era" when it pretty clearly means "was well underway by the third era."

e: also if the dome is to the west by the map, and the tower is to the north, then it seems like just an issue of how they oriented the zone in the minimap. If you treat the dome as north, which it ought to be, then the tower is to the east, which matches the mor dhona map. the physical positioning seems fine.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 17, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Guessing that the final boss members of the Twelve with Unique songs will be Llymlaen and Nophica as they are the Patron gods of the other two original city states.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah the first three eras are completely blank slates. Recorded history basically started with Allag.

Like scholars only found out for sure that the first calamity was wind after the events of HW when they were able to talk with the moogles at Moghome to get confirmation

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

readingatwork posted:

https://twitter.com/SaintNurse/status/1514724233166815252

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Guessing that the final boss members of the Twelve with Unique songs will be Llymlaen and Nophica as they are the Patron gods of the other two original city states.

Considering we almost certainly have Oschon walking around with us he's probably the final boss, and never underestimate this game's Ul'dah bias.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

yeah the first three eras are completely blank slates. Recorded history basically started with Allag.

Like scholars only found out for sure that the first calamity was wind after the events of HW when they were able to talk with the moogles at Moghome to get confirmation
The Encyclopaedia Eorzea's timeline begins with the First Umbral Era (cheekily, the time before this can absolutely describe the Ancients' time).

There are apparently cave paintings dating back to the First Astral Era (whether they're in-game or not), but that might be the extent of what's hard record left from that age. The scholarly theory is that it was essentially the Stone Age up to a point where where kingdoms rose and eventually widespread warfare resulted in the Second Calamity (of Lightning).

During the Second Umbral Era, the first spells are believed to have been used, born of faith in a higher power.

The Second Astral Era is said to be a time of widespread religious fervor, with construction, painting, and goldsmithing all reaching more formal discipline in this time. Theocracies eventually clashed, and all those nasty witch hunts and inquisitions and holy wars and such lead to the Third Calamity (of Fire).

We know plenty about the Third Astral Era, but the Fourth Astral Era we again don't have much of a record for - it seems that people went back to religion in this time period, but characterized more by willful ignorance and destruction of surviving texts and such from the Allagan age, with only holy scripture preserving information (this is actually the foundation of the Eorzean alphabet). But due to the lack of recorded history from the Fourth Astral, nobody's really sure how the Fifth Calamity (of Ice) got underway.

And then of course, the Fifth is the time of Amdapor/Nym/Mhach and such, and of course the Sixth is essentially modern history (since Bahamut didn't reset civilization like prior calamities).

Hogama fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 18, 2022

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Knowing exactly when they came from might help a bit. My hypothesis is that they, or some folklore version that got canonized later, existed in the First Astral Era. The Second Umbral calamity was lightning aspected, and it was more or less blamed on angry gods, so I think that's when Rhalgr got his Destroyer rep.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Hellioning posted:

Considering we almost certainly have Oschon walking around with us he's probably the final boss, and never underestimate this game's Ul'dah bias.
It's also kind of total Oschon-Final Boss-focus with the clockwise order - Nald'thal is Oschon's brother/son (the creation myth says Oschon created him, but Oschon's description says he's Nald'thal's brother) and Menphina is Oschon's divine lover (even if the creation myth says that Llymlaen loved him and is kinda mum on Menphina).

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
Part of me wants the explanation of the 12 just to be "They're gods. Deal with it". :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Itzena posted:

Part of me wants the explanation of the 12 just to be "They're gods. Deal with it". :v:

:same:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The dome is meant to be Carteneau I thought. Anyway whilst the actual compass directions are off, if Omphalos was floating above Silvertear, then the dome would be to the left of the Crystal Tower.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So is the creepy Reaper at the end Zemus, given the earlier showing of Golbez and the Archfiends.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Thus far, we've been given no inclination to assume there's a relationship between that Voidsent and Golbez, unless I'm misremembering where both scenes took place.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Thus far, we've been given no inclination to assume there's a relationship between that Voidsent and Golbez, unless I'm misremembering where both scenes took place.

Both took place in the void. So just guessing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

MonsterEnvy posted:

So is the creepy Reaper at the end Zemus, given the earlier showing of Golbez and the Archfiends.

From what someone has told me, their model does have an internal name.

It's Zero. Time to beat them up and get back our loving Ishgard houses!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://i.imgur.com/7GC3pOW.mp4

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah, that mechanic is rough.

Of course in my only attempt so far I was AFK at the time and my alliance just did it without me, so.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Huh, when I did it I didn't even notice the giant scales. I just thought we had to work it out by eye alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The party I was in just killed the adds on one side of the arena and then stacked on the other side