Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

This could probably go in the anime thread but i'm worried i'll inadvertently spoil something

So, Carmilla is obviously a lovely rear end in a top hat, but i wonder if this person

is one of Loid's co-spies who got busted. Maybe the system works! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Loid did mention other female spies got caught in the latest hunts.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The whole episode was a bunch of little connections between the two sides like that. Like how Franky was clearly the "pervert" who raided city hall for files on all the women. To show to Loid.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Clarste posted:

The whole episode was a bunch of little connections between the two sides like that. Like how Franky was clearly the "pervert" who raided city hall for files on all the women. To show to Loid.

Oh god I never made that connection at all :aaaaa:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, I think most people don't notice because they get distracted by Yor's reveal as an assassin between those two scenes.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
There's that one chapter about Frankie trying to impress a girl later on too, and for all we know those files are how he 'met' her.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think the funnier part is how they mockingly say "maybe that creep who stole the files will go to the party with her" and that kind of comes true if you extend it to Loid.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

how long until Lloyd and Yor drop the pretenses and actually admit their feelings for one another? Before or after the inevitable Mr. and Mrs. Smith arc?

I have no idea why I fell so drat hard for this manga but I’m 100% with it

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Carlosologist posted:

how long until Lloyd and Yor drop the pretenses and actually admit their feelings for one another? Before or after the inevitable Mr. and Mrs. Smith arc?

Oh we are 100% getting the Mr. and Mrs. Smith thing before they admit it. Neither of them has even begun admitting it to themselves yet.

I feel like that stuff, and Anya's reveal, has got to be the endgame. And it might get stretched out a hell of a long time before we get there.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
We're at what, one out of seven stellas and two out of seven tonitruses?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the mr and mrs smith thing will CAUSE them to admit their feelings probably

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

We are at least 20 chapters away from goodbye kisses as they head to work.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I kinda want to believe that, at some point, after everything's exposed and (presumably) a major fight ensues, they theoretically settle into a tenuous alliance/still can't admit feelings status quo for a while, if just for Anya's sake. If only because I think there's a lot of comedy potential in just them trying to work together and completely bumbling it up amidst their inner conflicts. I wanna see if that dynamic could play out well outside of just part of wrapping up the story.

If this happened, its like one hundred chapters or more away.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I think for that outcome to happen Yor has to be primed not to just instantly murder Lloyd. Twilight is more likely to be willing to cooperate for the sake of the mission but W.I.S.E is operating in another country and I can't remember if the Garden has a stance on Twilight, I remember the SSS want him dead or dead. Operation Strix is easily common ground between both parents though, the Garden wants peace and Desmond is supposed to be threatening the treaty between the East and West. So Yor continuing to play house in order to get close enough to kill Desmond seems a good bit of drama for Lloyd and Anya.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Not the character I thought would be showing up in this flashback.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
You know there's gotta be a least a couple chapters at some point where Loid and Yor know know each other's secrets but are working together comically to keep all this from Anya.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ZiegeDame posted:

You know there's gotta be a least a couple chapters at some point where Loid and Yor know know each other's secrets but are working together comically to keep all this from Anya.

Or you flip it the other way and they Loid and Yor learn Anya's secret but both of them remain oblivious to each other's actual jobs.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I think it says a lot that there's so many different kinds of interesting dynamics that can emerge from any fragment of any person learning more about the situation. It gives me the confidence that Endo will pursue that kind of dynamic eventually, rather than save it for an endgame thing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Information deficits like this are inherently very interesting, and dynamic shifting of who knows what is always a great time. It's just a great loving premise.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
yeah as long as the dynamic is anything other than "bullshit conflict over miscommunication that could be cleared up if they took five minutes to talk it over", information deficits have very high plot-length-to-shenanigans ratio

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Carlosologist posted:

As much as I support wife-kissing, I haven't quite gotten the impression that Lloyd and Yor are even quite at the having feelings part. Wasn't there a while back where Lloyd's first instinct was to manipulate her upon thinking she had developed feelings for him?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Rubellavator posted:

As much as I support wife-kissing, I haven't quite gotten the impression that Lloyd and Yor are even quite at the having feelings part. Wasn't there a while back where Lloyd's first instinct was to manipulate her upon thinking she had developed feelings for him?

Sure, but Lloyd’s starting to get the mission and the family mixed together in his head. Plus, Yor let her guard down when they were walking back to the ship after spending the day together. For as ditzy as she is, that probably wouldn’t have happened early on in the manga.

I agree with a lot of the posts above, the current status quo is a lot of fun to see just exist and do things together.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Rubellavator posted:

Was that the chapter where Yor got stinking drunk? Because I think that was more Loid invoking that as a defensive instinct rather than anything malicious -- or at least I don't recall whether he manipulated her into dong anything overtly harmful. He was used to having women developing feelings for him (for example, the woman he dumped in the very first chapter), but this was the first time (we've seen) where he was actually shocked. It was definitely a trained instinct kicking in, but I got the impression it was more to protect against a reckoning with his own feelings (a liability in his profession) and keep her at arm's length for the good of the mission.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Lloyd knows all kinds of state secrets. If he figured out Anya could read minds, it would get very ugly very quickly. At the very least, they would cease being family immediately.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Would be bad for Anya to accidentally leak secrets that in a very paranoid cold war conflict could get people killed.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nebrilos posted:

Lloyd knows all kinds of state secrets. If he figured out Anya could read minds, it would get very ugly very quickly. At the very least, they would cease being family immediately.

Letting Anya loose would be the worst possible option. It would be smarter to keep her close, at least until he could assess what she knew.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Letting Anya loose would be the worst possible option. It would be smarter to keep her close, at least until he could assess what she knew.

What I'm saying is that WISE would probably imprison her.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nebrilos posted:

What I'm saying is that WISE would probably imprison her.

WISE 100% would.

Would Franky, Nightfall, Twilight and the Handler though? Because they're basically the people who are going to be in a position to know and at this point at least half of them would be pretty categorically against it.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Biggest worry for me is how Anya can handle the stress of trying to get into the upper echelons in a matter of months. Feels like she might end up with max bolts and stars.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Annointed posted:

Biggest worry for me is how Anya can handle the stress of trying to get into the upper echelons in a matter of months. Feels like she might end up with max bolts and stars.

Aiming for the top on both lists at once? Truly, an elegant solution.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

tsob posted:

Aiming for the top on both lists at once? Truly, an elegant solution.

Perfectly balanced as all things should be. Loid gonna die from a heart attack at this rate.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Annointed posted:

I'm wondering if there's going to be a timeskip at some point (not anytime in the near future, but when it gets to the point in the manga that the status quo needs a big shakeup) as yeah, the way the Stella/Tontrus thing is set up and the pace the manga has been going it will take a loooooooong rear end time for Anya to get seven of either.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

I'm wondering if there's going to be a timeskip at some point (not anytime in the near future, but when it gets to the point in the manga that the status quo needs a big shakeup) as yeah, the way the Stella/Tontrus thing is set up and the pace the manga has been going it will take a loooooooong rear end time for Anya to get seven of either.

We got some narration early on that the Iron Wall falls 10 years from then and I could see that tying into the manga's resolution.

There's also an early scene with the Handler where she tells Twilight they budgeted 4 months for Anya to get the 7 Stellas which, lmao.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zore posted:

We got some narration early on that the Iron Wall falls 10 years from then and I could see that tying into the manga's resolution.

There's also an early scene with the Handler where she tells Twilight they budgeted 4 months for Anya to get the 7 Stellas which, lmao.

4 months... Namek time.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

They could fudge it by awarding her multiple stars or bolts at a time; she was supposed to get 3 bolts for hitting Damian

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Zore posted:

Translation differences there; the original translation was that the Iron Curtain falls in 10 years, while the current translation is that it went up 10 years ago.

...and if it's the latter, then that's interesting, 'cause Twilight's been a spy for about 10 years.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

She'll get all the remaining stars in one big lump for saving the day, as a gag.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Seven stars for preventing an all-out war between East and West

...but six stars for skipping final exams to do the first thing. Lloyd is despondent, and Yor nearly flips. Anya eats a peanut

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

six bolts for various misbehaviours, seven stars for raiding the star jar, and the seventh bolt because they keep them in the same jar and she puts it on by mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
Eight stars, eight bolts.