Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Vic posted:

Nobody's playing Diablo for the story, but we're specifically talking about the story. Somebody wrote tons and tons of 'ha ha puny nephalem' lines.

I loved the story in Diablo 1 and 2.

It was heretical and mind bending and very 90s.

Just that dark layer of anti-religion that PoE rips off so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
D1's story was top notch, just enough fluff to read through the manual in fascination as a kid, without any heavy handed exposition by ingame characters. I'd also argue that D1 had the better gameplay, but-- actually yes, this is the right thread to say so. Diablo1 best Diablo.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Serephina posted:

D1's story was top notch, just enough fluff to read through the manual in fascination as a kid, without any heavy handed exposition by ingame characters. I'd also argue that D1 had the better gameplay, but-- actually yes, this is the right thread to say so. Diablo1 best Diablo.

I can literally hear the sound of a potion dropping.

I'm fighting the Butcher right now. poo poo's iconic.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

You're aware The Room is enjoyed for exactly this reason right?

Yes, the point is that the source of enjoyment comes accidentally. You claimed the story was "brilliant", but you're really just laughing at how bad the story is while Blizzard's writers genuinely intended for it to come across as profound.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Blizzard did angels really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRXP5td0ZrA

D2 was just scary to kids raised on religion.

BaldDwarfOnPCP fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Apr 18, 2022

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Skeleton King?!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Devils Affricate posted:

Yes, the point is that the source of enjoyment comes accidentally. You claimed the story was "brilliant", but you're really just laughing at how bad the story is while Blizzard's writers genuinely intended for it to come across as profound.

Usually you wouldn't have to clarify with "unintentionally" when you're talking about all the horrible things a story does while saying it's brilliant, but here we are I guess.

But instead I'm going to now say yes, it is brilliant and completely intentional and also you're something of a literary Luddite for not appreciating the particular genius that is Diablo 3 by Blizzard.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Diablo 1 and 2 weren't the most compelling in terms of narrative, but they had entertaining stories that moved things along nicely and could be avoided if you didn't care for it

3 opted to have cutscenes for stupid bullshit like talking to random villagers and bandits and the entire thing was just dumb even by Blizzard standards

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

syntaxfunction posted:

You're aware The Room is enjoyed for exactly this reason right?

yeah and its not great tbh, consume good poo poo

im telling you arpg players, just try cookie clicker out for a bit, the cure is RIGHT there

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I disabled damage numbers in Diablo 3 and it got a lot better. Combined with the green arrow system on gear in the console version? It gets a lot better

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

yeah and its not great tbh, consume good poo poo

im telling you arpg players, just try cookie clicker out for a bit, the cure is RIGHT there

The Room is great to watch once with friends, same as Diablo. I played through it once with a friend, called it good and never went back.

I'm worse than ARPG players, I'm a dumb dumb looter shooter FPS dork. Big explode, pretty colours, whee shiny fell!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sekiro finished, all optional bosses taken on. Welp, yep, that sure felt like half a game and the final boss is the first enemy I was able to get into poise death without having to whittle them down.

Still better than Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Horizon Forbidden West is worse than Zero Dawn in every single way except graphics. I still liked it though.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Caesar Saladin posted:

Horizon Forbidden West is worse than Zero Dawn in every single way except graphics. I still liked it though.

I felt bad for them because my favorite part of the first game was the surprisingly well written lore explaining why they lived on planet robo-dino. I played the first 15 or so hours of the second one and I got far enough along to see what they were going to try instead so I was interested. But then Elden Ring came out and it was Breath of the Wild all over again. How unlucky can one game studio get?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I have talked a lot of poo poo about borderlands in this thread, but I think my problem is that I just like the first one more than the others. I played through it again and had a steady good time throughout. The second one is already not feeling as good

Barudak
May 7, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

I have talked a lot of poo poo about borderlands in this thread, but I think my problem is that I just like the first one more than the others. I played through it again and had a steady good time throughout. The second one is already not feeling as good

I think, in part, its the slag

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

McCracAttack posted:

I felt bad for them because my favorite part of the first game was the surprisingly well written lore explaining why they lived on planet robo-dino. I played the first 15 or so hours of the second one and I got far enough along to see what they were going to try instead so I was interested. But then Elden Ring came out and it was Breath of the Wild all over again. How unlucky can one game studio get?

It still has an entertaining core story, but the tribal quests and sidequests are pretty boring. Like, there are so many sidequests that are just "My friend went on an initiation rite where he has to climb a mountain and never came back." Just so many variations on that. The main plot is still interesting, although not as cool as the first one because you already know the entire backstory, but its still good and the setup for the third game is very intriguing. Also it doesn't have nearly enough Lance Riddick, he's barely in it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Barudak posted:

I think, in part, its the slag

Yeah, I have big hands and moving my thumb down to the d-pad to switch weapons constantly kind of sucks.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Barudak posted:

I'll use Owl (Father) who I just beat in three tries.

1) Never attack first, this causes the AI to do new and often button readingly rude responses. Owl Shinobi for instance seemingly can't use explosive powder unless you swing first.
2) Posture is irrelevant until a boss is at half or less HP, and in some cases it is never relevant, so any blocked attack is a waste of time
3) Bosses tend to not stagger, so attempting to interrupt combos is pointless, only at predefined "safe" points can you interact
4) Every boss has ~2 attacks that guaranteeably end in thing that lets you actually hit them for HP damahe

So fights are basically just zone position myself to the correct range to get the right moves, do my one hit, run away, repeat until dead. Owl Father was bait his unblockable sweep or overhead, with the mikiri counter move also a free hit then spend the rest of the time just running since. Phase 2 was... the exact same thing except I used mortal draw to make it take 1/3rd as many hits. It makes every fight feel like Im just waiting for the AI to choose to die rather than any sort of expression on my part.

Edit: To be clear this isn't all fights. Some miniboses don't have rule 3 so like the dude in the well miniboss and his ilk are all super fun to stunt on.

What made it click for me is figuring out you can cancel your attacks into blocks/parries provided you didn't already mash out the next attack. Slow down your attacks just a bit so that you have time to react before chaining into the next attack, then just get in everyone's face. Outside of a few monster bosses the neutral should basically be you stabbing a guy with delayed slashes. It's way more satisfying to fight this way, and parry timings are pretty forgiving.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

pentyne posted:

Following that up by charging $20 for the Necromancer class (which I absolutely bought day 1) shows that the people in charge really do get it. The cash shop was a weird misstep but everything after that was just them printing money.

Misstep? No it wasn't it was super profitable and they got out before anyone sued them or the government went "hey wait that isn't really legal". Not only that they got to blame everything on the cash shop. Oh the lovely drop rates are the cash shops fault! People still blame the cash shop instead of Blizzard's greed.

The cash shop was the only thing D3 had that was at all interesting to me, otherwise it was another watered down wrinkle free profit maximized Blizzard experience. Wait no I could chuck frogs at monsters with the probably offensive witch doctor class. That was neat the orange ones exploded.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 18, 2022

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Diablo 3 whips rear end :)

Season 26 just started too

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Caesar Saladin posted:

I agree completely although I would add that HFW managed to flesh out and make more interesting the current day tribes better than the first game,

but I'm also an outlier cuz that was what I was most interested in about the first game and was disappointed when it was mostly about Ted Faro (the back story and end of the world wasnt that interesting sorry)

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i dunno if it's an unpopular opinion or what but that Playdate thing looks like the shittiest, most boring waste of time and money I've seen in gaming for a while.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
lmao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdF3CnFvxg4

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The Playdate is another Teenage Engineering product. Extremely well-made but quirky to the point of uselessness. These things are designed to appeal to a very specific kind of person - a creative with parent money living in a gentrified neighborhood or someone who aspires to become one.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
ok but

who wants to play those games

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

it feels like it was made for games journalists because a lot of them seem to be loving it and i just don't get it at all.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
of course it had to be portland

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The Protagonist posted:

ok but

who wants to play those games

No one

Seriously take a look at Teenage Engineering's website. It's all beautiful, weird equipment with absolutely zero practical use and a fuckoff pricetag

No one buys anything from them because they actually want to use it. They sell a twelve pound, $700 bluetooth speaker for goodness' sake

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

is the screen reflective enough to scan with my cuecat?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Manager Hoyden posted:

No one

Seriously take a look at Teenage Engineering's website. It's all beautiful, weird equipment with absolutely zero practical use and a fuckoff pricetag

No one buys anything from them because they actually want to use it. They sell a twelve pound, $700 bluetooth speaker for goodness' sake

uh excuse me I composed this brilliant song using the teenage engineering PO-20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yioOMJ_BRXc

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Vic posted:

of course it had to be portland

i was about to say

they love making things

no shut up

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
The playdate looks cute and fun, and it might be interesting depending on the price tag. It's refreshing to see a new handheld device that isnt just "You can buy Mario 3 again for the four thousandth time"

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I thought that Playdate thing already came out and failed years ago. Has it still been in development all this time?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Doctor J Off posted:

The playdate looks cute and fun, and it might be interesting depending on the price tag. It's refreshing to see a new handheld device that isnt just "You can buy Mario 3 again for the four thousandth time"

How about if you get to play a game that isn’t fun and has less features, design, and gameplay than Mario 3 instead

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Devils Affricate posted:

I thought that Playdate thing already came out and failed years ago. Has it still been in development all this time?

yeah I definitly heard about that thing ages ago. I assumed we were talking about failed dumb things, like Ouya

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

it looks like the kind of dumb poo poo gimmick toy that someone with a marvel personality and a giant collection of funko pops will buy

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Rutibex posted:

yeah I definitly heard about that thing ages ago. I assumed we were talking about failed dumb things, like Ouya

I just checked their website. They're still taking pre-orders, which will apparently ship in 2023 :lol:

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Devils Affricate posted:

It did, they just don't know it yet.

The playdate is a nice idea and it's well executed but I think that the crank is a bad idea that they fell in love with and could've bene given over to some other form of control. The price point is too high for something that should be half of what it is. I like the LCD screen but I think that without color it's going to have limited appeal except for collector neckbeards like myself. They're going to sell maybe 1000-2000 units per year after the initial launch tops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Devils Affricate posted:

I just checked their website. They're still taking pre-orders, which will apparently ship in 2023 :lol:

i assumed it was out really soon as all the games press have them for review now lol