Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hellioning posted:

If nothing else all this drama has taught us is that the housing situation in FFXIV is hosed. I mean we knew that already but it's nice to have more proof I guess?

It's an admirable idea with some great upsides and terrible downsides. Really, a lot of the struggle could be ameliorated by the addition of large-size apartments or something similar for people like me who just want an opportunity to flex their creativity in a space that's at least a little larger than a shoebox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

they should just increase the price of all housing by like 500%. would alleviate a lot of the issues

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I can already see the "What's the point in saving up all this gil if there are no houses available" posts being made...

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

That's what the golden mikoshi mount is for.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
they should just add one really big house that everyone shares

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Countblanc posted:

The Gamer Mansion...

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

See, to me the solution is backwards. FCs have a bunch of necessary uses for houses that have entire gameplay behind them. But they don’t really need to have a neighbourhood. Instead of instances individual houses for single players. Make instances club houses for FCs that can be placed in a major city but all are accessed from the same place. The housing wards are then solely for individual players. Because every FC (after paying the appropriate Gil amount) has their own clubhouse wherever they want that would effectively be a large plot in size.

Neighbourhoods of individuals, FC guild houses as single instanced buildings without other houses around.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
There is a bug in the WHM kit that allows you to refresh your Cure II charges by canceling your second cast. WHMs running around infinitely healing. :negative:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My FC hangs out outside our house all the time. Several nearby houses belong to FCs and they also have people standing around chatting and dancing and doing whatever.

I've never seen a private house owner just hanging out in front of their home

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I usually idle on the roof of my house for when I'm queueing for stuff or waiting for people to get on or just. not doing anything but don't want to log out. But I don't ever see anyone else besides the FC brothel (FC tag <<Hoes>>) across the street sometimes, though they never wave back whenever I wave to them :v: Kind of a lonely neighborhood tbh

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

When does the glamour dresser increase happen? Getting real close to 400 and I don't know if I can make the hard decisions. :ohdear:

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

bi crimes posted:

Anyone play on PC in 4k without cooking their GPU? I plugged into a 4k TV and my 2080RTX hits 95c+

if you find out, please let me know.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

At what rank do your stars start going down on a loss? I know they don't for unranked.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

FuturePastNow posted:

My FC hangs out outside our house all the time. Several nearby houses belong to FCs and they also have people standing around chatting and dancing and doing whatever.

I do all my crafting on my lawn

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

Yeah I see this on Leviathan all the time, also the nightclubs and such are all mostly FC houses cause they take a lot of work and it would be a pity to lose those. I think instancing off FCs would hurt a lot of fun things. (Clubs wouldn’t work instanced due to the restrictions on people inside, most parties have a huge outdoor area for this reason.)

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I know there's some goons in my ward and I haven't seen them in years so this is now a callout post

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Bruceski posted:

At what rank do your stars start going down on a loss? I know they don't for unranked.

As someone who was 1 win from silver and am now starless bronze 3? Bronze

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Electric Phantasm posted:

When does the glamour dresser increase happen? Getting real close to 400 and I don't know if I can make the hard decisions. :ohdear:

6.2 iirc

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.
Getting an issue when I try to run two instances of FFXIV on my computer where the one that's not full screen will lag unless its brought to the front. Don't have this issue with any other window just two instances of XIV. Don't know if anyone's ever gotten this and been able to resolve it. My google fu has been weak about this.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Fiye posted:

Getting an issue when I try to run two instances of FFXIV on my computer where the one that's not full screen will lag unless its brought to the front. Don't have this issue with any other window just two instances of XIV. Don't know if anyone's ever gotten this and been able to resolve it. My google fu has been weak about this.

Try unchecking "Limit framerate when client is inactive" at the very bottom of System Configuration -> Display settings

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Why is everyone so bad at CC :negative: went from 1 win away from silver all the way back down to bronze 3 tonight

edit: It also makes me mad that I lose two stars when going down a rank :(

Kazy fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 18, 2022

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I just started up ranked tonight and yeah, CC quality is all over the place at bronze. Fortunately I'm getting some muscle memory and playing an OP class helps. Warrior chain drag is loving OP as hell

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Countblanc posted:

the big house everyone shares is Etherys

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

I can't find it in the thread, but what was that one housing preview website that let you import stuff into your game and/or preview housing items?

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

NachtSieger posted:

I can't find it in the thread, but what was that one housing preview website that let you import stuff into your game and/or preview housing items?

https://en.ff14housing.com ?
You can also preview items in housing mode

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
There's a second follow-up post from YoshiP about the housing issue. It was mostly to correct a vague phrase used in the initial post:

quote:

In the news announcement, I had mentioned "there are many patterns involved for the lottery conditions" to which we’ve received comments such as, “Are they manipulating the lottery method somehow?” I apologize for my vague wording, which came about from my haste to publish a follow-up announcement.

What I should have said was “there are many patterns involved for the lottery entry conditions”; my blunder was in writing this simply as “lottery conditions.” The housing lottery system implemented in Patch 6.1 uses a plain randomization method and conducts a simple process regardless of lottery entry conditions.

However, he also used it to talk about what they're seeing (it's not just a simple programming oversight):

quote:

While some plots underwent the lottery process and are displaying the results as intended, other plots are experiencing the following issues:
  • Cases where the lottery was properly conducted internally and a winner exists, but the results display the winning number as 0.
  • Cases where there was a single entry in the lottery, but the results display that there was no entrant or winner.
  • Cases where there is no winner despite entries being made by multiple friends or free company members.

And what data they have to use as a base when they figure out how to fix this:

quote:

We still have the lottery data, and it is possible for us to confirm the status of entry applications through our database server logs. These logs will be referenced to ensure that players who have accepted their gil refund from losing the lottery will not be negatively affected by the measures we will be taking afterwards.

The bulk of the post, however, was a semi-in-depth explanation of the lottery system and what they are looking at to try and find the root cause behind the problem. It's all interconnected and too much to quote, and I'd recommend you go read it yourself.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Xun posted:

Counter-counter point, I know for a fact that exact ward had plenty of bids. Dont know if the lack of claims is just due to people not building yet or if the bug is just that widespread but that reddit post was way sensationalist. Also, omega is one of the smallest servers in the entire game (outside of the new ones) so using it as an example of population is pretty silly
What reddit post? I was looking at it myself yesterday on Omega. Just went and had another look now:

Statistically and assuming worst-case (one bidder per plot i.e. 50% chance to get the "zero wins" bug, assuming its the off-by-one error everyone seems to think it is) that would mean that half the plots bid on would not be won. Multiple bids on the same plot would, of course, reduce the chance of the "zero wins" bug.

So that would make this particular ward&subdivision had, statistically, two plots which were bid upon.

I think part of the issue is that so many FCs didn't want to "settle" for a small so they've run around bidding on mediums and larges so you end up with wards/subdivisions with three/four/five plots bought & occupied - all larges or mediums - and all of the smalls are empty. In that case, I think leaving the smalls to sit empty while FCs stand around waiting for a bigger plot to open up is going to be an ongoing issue which Square will have to eventually sort out...most likely by just opening up the FC-only wards.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Itzena posted:

(one bidder per plot i.e. 50% chance to get the "zero wins" bug, assuming its the off-by-one error everyone seems to think it is)

That last follow-up post said it isn't this. At least, not only this, because they're seeing multiple situations that can't all be explained by being off-by-one.

bi crimes posted:

Anyone play on PC in 4k without cooking their GPU? I plugged into a 4k TV and my 2080RTX hits 95c+

Splash Attack posted:

if you find out, please let me know.

I don't have any temp readings from when I'm at load, but I run with a 4k PC monitor on a 2080RTX and idling in the Wolves' Den Pier I'm sitting at 86C.

Onean fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Apr 18, 2022

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I have worked my way up to Gold in ranked CC so far, and I wanted to shout some of my thoughts into the void:

- I have been playing Machinist exclusively. They feel pretty balanced although I haven't tried other ranged DPS. That said, chainsaw having a 3% chance to instakill is very stupid and doesn't have any place in a ranked pvp mode. It's very funny, especially when the target is an FC member you happened to queue against, but CC is a mode where 1 kill can swing a fight. Having that kill happen because the enemy rolled 20 is never going to feel good. Give it a healing debuff or something instead imo.

- I am used to snapshotting being a thing in raids and so on, but the game saying a big "Defeat" screen when you or a teammate are visibly standing on the crystal is hot bullshit and feels incredibly frustrating.

- The battle log not showing the name of the ability you took damage from is some real bullshit. I love to go 100-0 in one second and check my log just to see "you took a bunch of damage!"...not!!!

- Some LBs need to be way clearer that they are happening. Specifically I am loving sick of dragoon ult landing on me out of nowhere. Yes, I know you can keep track of enemy LB bars, and yes I know they leave a piddly glowing circle when they jump into the air, but trying to keep track of both when you're in the middle of a messy fight is a big ask for most players. Make it play the Heavensward main theme that gets increasingly louder as they're about to land.

- I've gotten used to the air launch gimmick of Cloud 9, but those little tornadoes that get left behind after and blow you away are nothing but frustrating for both sides.

-someone said purify is meant to be making you immune to debuffs for a few seconds after use? haha how did that bug get through testing

Overall I find the new PvP mechanics more satisfying than the old ones, the Dota-like approach of "lets just make everyone overpowered" makes me feel like I'm actually impacting the course of the game. Ranking up is still a frustrating process though. If you personally are playing well every game, but get matched with crappy teammates 50% of the time, you go nowhere on average. In practice you actually will rank up over a long enough timespan, but if not for the Garo gear I probably would get tired long before this happens.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Cicadalek posted:

-someone said purify is meant to be making you immune to debuffs for a few seconds after use? haha how did that bug get through testing
Please be careful to read all ability descriptions. Purify does grant immunity, but only when activating it actually purged a debuff in the first place. You can't just use it premptively.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Purify also doesn’t cleanse everything. I’ve definitely noticed that my reaction time is slow enough that I’ve pressed it but the debuff already expired, effectively wasting it. It should grant immunity whether it cleanses or not imo

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The one frustrating thing I've encountered, I think, is that there's a split second between the cleanse and the immunity buff going up, so if you manage to get stunned right after you press the button you can get totally screwed.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

the latency/snapshotting is great because i can line up a beautiful clutch zantetsuken and have the animation and sfx and everything go off only to fall over dead having done zero damage much less kill anyone. oh, but my lb charge is gone

i'm basically living that dril tweet in pvp

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 18, 2022

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Itzena posted:

What reddit post? I was looking at it myself yesterday on Omega. Just went and had another look now:

Statistically and assuming worst-case (one bidder per plot i.e. 50% chance to get the "zero wins" bug, assuming its the off-by-one error everyone seems to think it is) that would mean that half the plots bid on would not be won. Multiple bids on the same plot would, of course, reduce the chance of the "zero wins" bug.

So that would make this particular ward&subdivision had, statistically, two plots which were bid upon.

I think part of the issue is that so many FCs didn't want to "settle" for a small so they've run around bidding on mediums and larges so you end up with wards/subdivisions with three/four/five plots bought & occupied - all larges or mediums - and all of the smalls are empty. In that case, I think leaving the smalls to sit empty while FCs stand around waiting for a bigger plot to open up is going to be an ongoing issue which Square will have to eventually sort out...most likely by just opening up the FC-only wards.
Plenty of the FC only smalls had zero bids but all the larges/mediums on Excal had between 5 and 80 (EULA :laffo:) bids, wait with the doom and gloom until FCs actually had the opportunity to also bid on smalls, without bugs locking them out.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

SettingSun posted:

Purify also doesn’t cleanse everything. I’ve definitely noticed that my reaction time is slow enough that I’ve pressed it but the debuff already expired, effectively wasting it. It should grant immunity whether it cleanses or not imo

The white mage polymorph is uncleansible which is definitely a decision they made I guess

Also based on reading the pvp revival discord the meta and people's opinions have crystallized (pun intended) on the class meta. The honeymoon of wild craziness is over, RIP

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013
TBF, I can see how they came to that decision with Polymorph, given that it's an ability that does no damage and they were probably searching for some space for supports to fit in besides just healing and buffs. It just turns out that CC is hella OP in CC.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I think it's actually really important it can't be cleansed by Purify. Mostly because that lets it work against WAR when they pop their LB.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Itzena posted:

Because there was a reddit post being extremely hysterical about the same ward :v:

Anyway I literally know for a fact that the ward had more than two FC bids on houses because I literally looked through all of the wards to move my FC into and none of them had larges and mediums without bids. Hell even some smalls had a few bids, although I didn't check those for every ward.

And yeah after our FC lost our singlar chance at a large we are going to try again for a small and I doubt we're the only FC doing that on all of omega.

Xun fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 18, 2022

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Despite having a large personal house in my dream spot in Mist, I truly think that allowing personal houses in the wards at all was a mistake.

Personal houses should be instanced. Wards should be FCs only.

Hell, they could even have a progression mechanic to instanced personal housing. Everyone starts with a small, but you slowly level it up/expand it to a large or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Do people mad about the FC/personal split not know that the patch notes literally say that they're going to reevaluate the allocation on a per-server basis each patch? They are not going to let a bunch of wards just sit empty, but you're going to need some patience because they might not open them until 6.2. They will open them, though.