Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dienes posted:

Its worse than that. He is let go because he negs the goddess of sex on her sex skills and she falls for it.

Your'e right he negs her through song-and is like you need to go have more sex to see how great I really am and write me a better song

It's so bad.

Perestroika posted:

Look forwards to when he gets back home and he proceeds to gently caress his way though the university and creeps on basically every woman there, but a female character explicitly goes "Oh, it's not creepy when he's ogling you, it's totally hot and flattering actually!"

fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Don't forget the segment where he goes to train with the sex ninjas who gently caress so constantly that they haven't made the connection between sex and babies

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Hang on a second, I’m starting to get the feeling that fantasy authors are gross weirdos!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Qwertycoatl posted:

Don't forget the segment where he goes to train with the sex ninjas who gently caress so constantly that they haven't made the connection between sex and babies

Lol, I forgot that was from the same book. It's great that there's a big enough section full of laughably off-putting sex scenes that it completely overshadows a whole later section of laughably off-putting sex scenes

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Excuse me it's not loving it is making love, like playing a lute and if you think that's a tacky metaphor then you don't understand love or music or me

- Patrick Rothfuss, more or less

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The true crime of that second book, more so than any weird sex pest author stuff, is that it's a full length novel where the hero spins in small circles huffing his own farts. The world & character state is identical at the end of each book, and I felt it pretty clear that the author caught himself off guard by his own wasting of space and suddenly had to put in a half a sentence each about the big bad guys and the whole 'kingkiller' thing.

You can't even tell people to read the first book then stop, as unlike other stuff the first title isn't self contained. You just have to avoid it all.

----

I've also had the misfortune of starting two professional autobiographies which where aspiring to be the next James Herriot, but they where both written by terrible bores with no wit. I could transcribe stuff here if anyone is suffering from insomnia, ugh.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

Excuse me it's not loving it is making love, like playing a lute and if you think that's a tacky metaphor then you don't understand love or music or me

where is the bomb-rear end jergal symbol in your avatar from, please

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It's the crest for one of the necromancer houses from Gideon the Ninth - here! https://www.muddycolors.com/2020/07/the-skulls-of-gideon-the-ninth/

Mine's sixth, and I think someone is floating around with a seventh house av too

They're books whose extremely online memeyness should make them terrible, but instead helps them absolutely nail the desolate tone and unhinged characters.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

It's the crest for one of the necromancer houses from Gideon the Ninth - here! https://www.muddycolors.com/2020/07/the-skulls-of-gideon-the-ninth/

Mine's sixth, and I think someone is floating around with a seventh house av too

They're books whose extremely online memeyness should make them terrible, but instead helps them absolutely nail the desolate tone and unhinged characters.

poo poo I recognized it from the wrong fantasy series Gideon the ninth is great thank you

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

God I just love Gideon's aviator shades skull. Makes me crack up every time. :allears:

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

In his favour, correct fingering is very important when you're playing a lute

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The funny thing is that Patrick Rothfuss hasn't even been able to finish the third book for over a decade, presumably because he has written himself into a corner. Fantasy authors are so bad at actually finishing their series if they get popular.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The funny thing is that Patrick Rothfuss hasn't even been able to finish the third book for over a decade, presumably because he has written himself into a corner. Fantasy authors are so bad at actually finishing their series if they get popular.

The abrupt shift to weird sex stuff kind of makes me wonder if he had no idea how to finish and decided to deliberately try and tank the whole project.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Ambitious Spider posted:

The abrupt shift to weird sex stuff kind of makes me wonder if he had no idea how to finish and decided to deliberately try and tank the whole project.

More fool him if he thought that'd put off your average fantasy reader.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was funny how Rothfuss had his editor put him on blast about never turning in a draft of the third book.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I will never understand why these people don’t hire ghostwriters.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think they probably don’t want to deal with the hassle. A big corp can hire ghostwriters with iron contracts but probably a lot harder for moderately successful authors

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

AlbieQuirky posted:

I will never understand why these people don’t hire ghostwriters.

It's not like there's another author who can convincingly pretend to be Rothfuss

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Ambitious Spider posted:

Been reading Wise Man's Fear, the second King killer chronicle. Now, I know what's coming, but the majority of the book is more of the same. And then out of nowhere he's brought into the fae by the sex fairy queen. And he's super good at sex despite being a virgin. And makes her fall in love with him, because he's super good at writing songs and magic and also a virgin so she lets him go to see how good he'll be when he gets some experience. And then she keeps training him in the erotic arts because her greatest lover will never disappoint another...

And it goes on and on and on. Like chapters of it. It's way more egregious than I thought it would be.

It's been awhile since I listened to the audiobook; Or at least started, I don't think I ever finished it. Am I misremembering, or does he decide to go on this sidequest in the middle of a super important mission to recover stolen tax money for the Patron that's bankrolling his schooling, as if he knows that it's still on the quest screen, waiting to be ticked off as Completed when he's ready to turn it in?

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

maltesh posted:

It's been awhile since I listened to the audiobook; Or at least started, I don't think I ever finished it. Am I misremembering, or does he decide to go on this sidequest in the middle of a super important mission to recover stolen tax money for the Patron that's bankrolling his schooling, as if he knows that it's still on the quest screen, waiting to be ticked off as Completed when he's ready to turn it in?

Yea they get the money back and on their way home he’s spirited away by the sex fairy. He’s gone for a few days in non fairy time. He gets back and decides to tell everyone else to let his patron know he’ll return the money after he hangs out with the sex ninjas

Now to be somewhat fair in the book’s best and only interesting scene he’s been influenced into going there by that thing he meets in the tree that can’t lie and knows everything, but tells people only what will cause the most pain and suffering in the world. It’s a creepy and effective scene but it’s like a page long and certainly doesn’t justify the sex ninjas being sex ninjas

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think they probably don’t want to deal with the hassle. A big corp can hire ghostwriters with iron contracts but probably a lot harder for moderately successful authors

Nah, ghostwriting contracts are pretty standard and the publisher would be the one to draw up and enforce the contract. Rothfuss’s publisher is a subsidiary of Penguin Random House, the world’s largest English-language publishing house.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Ambitious Spider posted:

Yea they get the money back and on their way home he’s spirited away by the sex fairy. He’s gone for a few days in non fairy time. He gets back and decides to tell everyone else to let his patron know he’ll return the money after he hangs out with the sex ninjas

Now to be somewhat fair in the book’s best and only interesting scene he’s been influenced into going there by that thing he meets in the tree that can’t lie and knows everything, but tells people only what will cause the most pain and suffering in the world. It’s a creepy and effective scene but it’s like a page long and certainly doesn’t justify the sex ninjas being sex ninjas

That scene basically loses all of its impact thanks to how hyped up it is in combination with the fact that there's suppose to be a billion Fae Rangers with hyper bows just out of ear-shot of the tree that kills literally anything that gets close enough to the tree to hear its words. But somehow Kvothe just wanders up to it, has a loud conversation with it, and then wanders off without getting pincushioned.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Kchama posted:

That scene basically loses all of its impact thanks to how hyped up it is in combination with the fact that there's suppose to be a billion Fae Rangers with hyper bows just out of ear-shot of the tree that kills literally anything that gets close enough to the tree to hear its words. But somehow Kvothe just wanders up to it, has a loud conversation with it, and then wanders off without getting pincushioned.

Yeah, even when he stumbles upon a somewhat interesting concept he can't help but ruin it by making it all about how exceptional his Very Special Boy is. It's similar when he meets that one loan shark/fence in the university city. There's a potentially cool story there about operating on the sidelines of a deeply privileged institution, the intersection of magic and crime, and so on. Except almost all of that is ignored and she mostly just exists to give Kvothe money and offer to gently caress him.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Ambitious Spider posted:

Sounds like the type of behavior you'd expect in bed from someone that WASN'T trained by sex fairies:colbert:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean, the problem with writing one-handed is eventually you get the post nut regret, and can't go over your own stuff without getting it all over again.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean, the problem with writing one-handed is eventually you get the post nut regret, and can't go over your own stuff without getting it all over again.

Anne Rice first editions where all the pages are stuck together.

What happens to Lestat?!?

Oh.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, even when he stumbles upon a somewhat interesting concept he can't help but ruin it by making it all about how exceptional his Very Special Boy is. It's similar when he meets that one loan shark/fence in the university city. There's a potentially cool story there about operating on the sidelines of a deeply privileged institution, the intersection of magic and crime, and so on. Except almost all of that is ignored and she mostly just exists to give Kvothe money and offer to gently caress him.

There’s also a moment when he kills those thieves masquerading as his fantasy Roma group and rescues two girls who have been abused and tortured. One of them is like “ I hate men!” And he literally “not all men”s her

So glad I finished this stupid book.

I’ll definitely hate read the final one if it ever comes out though

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Ambitious Spider posted:

There’s also a moment when he kills those thieves masquerading as his fantasy Roma group and rescues two girls who have been abused and tortured. One of them is like “ I hate men!” And he literally “not all men”s her

So glad I finished this stupid book.

I’ll definitely hate read the final one if it ever comes out though

That section is amazing as that is actually just a short story plopped into the middle of the book with minimal editing. It was, in fact, the piece Rothfuss wrote first and won him super accolades and got him his contract for the books.

And that's why it is written in a completely different style and acts like it's a mystery what is going on (and doesn't make a loving bit of sense because he clearly murders the thieves before he even finds out about the kidnapped girls, and also gleefully murders the female thieves who he knows were kidnapped and forced into helping them just like the two girls he rescued.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

More fun unnecessary sex stuff courtesy of Dan Simmons! I'm 2/3 through The Terror and it's 95% good fun, kind of an eerie, claustrophobic story about a couple boat crews trying to survive a failed expedition in the remote arctic.

But that other 5%! You get flashback interludes spending paragraphs gushing over a teenager's body and how many people she's sleeping with on a ship, with a character becoming obsessed with her as a "15-year-old temptress" :ohno:
And then there's the flashbacks to his usual setup of the most beautiful woman ever being there to give the plot-relevant male character the best sex he's ever had. And now a character has wandered into meeting a handful of native folks out in the Arctic wastes. Naturally, their bonding moment is ripping the top off one of the women as a gag, with Dan Simmons there to helpfully let us know how astonishingly large her breasts are "for one so young".

It's like he gave himself the perfect story setup to not put in his pervy old fantasy author poo poo, and then just went "nope, well that just won't do!". gently caress you, Dan Simmons, I think I'm just done with you!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
As horrible as it is, it's probably at least accurate for the time period.

https://youtu.be/k_9CSr3nGqE

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

As horrible as it is, it's probably at least accurate for the time period.

https://youtu.be/k_9CSr3nGqE

Even if its appropriate for the time period you're writing about, its not really appropriate for the time period you're writing for.

I've been reading the Saxon Tales books because they're light reads at work. And since its a historical fiction series about Vikings conquering a lot of early medieval England and the English conquering them back, there's a lot of rape! This is appropriate because, well, there probably would have been a lot of raping. But Bernard Cornwell doesn't linger on the act or talk about how the women are boobily breasting around or secretly enjoying it or any of the other gross poo poo other writers feel compelled to put into their books. Its there because he didn't want to give some false impression of either side as moral paragons. Even consensual sex gets just enough description to make it clear that it happened and then he moves on.

Historical fiction isn't an excuse to put in all the gross details of your chosen time period, particularly if they have no thematic or narrative purpose.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Captain Hygiene posted:

More fun unnecessary sex stuff courtesy of Dan Simmons! I'm 2/3 through The Terror and it's 95% good fun, kind of an eerie, claustrophobic story about a couple boat crews trying to survive a failed expedition in the remote arctic.

But that other 5%! You get flashback interludes spending paragraphs gushing over a teenager's body and how many people she's sleeping with on a ship, with a character becoming obsessed with her as a "15-year-old temptress" :ohno:
And then there's the flashbacks to his usual setup of the most beautiful woman ever being there to give the plot-relevant male character the best sex he's ever had. And now a character has wandered into meeting a handful of native folks out in the Arctic wastes. Naturally, their bonding moment is ripping the top off one of the women as a gag, with Dan Simmons there to helpfully let us know how astonishingly large her breasts are "for one so young".

It's like he gave himself the perfect story setup to not put in his pervy old fantasy author poo poo, and then just went "nope, well that just won't do!". gently caress you, Dan Simmons, I think I'm just done with you!

It's like you're talking about a different show.

I saw none of this but totally believe you.

It was a story about an alcoholic sea captain getting the DTs, right?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Strategic Tea posted:

Yo (I'd have chosen 6th but you beat me to it)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

It's like you're talking about a different show.

I saw none of this but totally believe you.

It was a story about an alcoholic sea captain getting the DTs, right?

Was that the tv adaptation? I'd believe it. They're sitting around in a boat being crunched up by ice shelves for years on end, that rum's not gonna last forever!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Captain Hygiene posted:

Was that the tv adaptation? I'd believe it. They're sitting around in a boat being crunched up by ice shelves for years on end, that rum's not gonna last forever!

Oh, I'm so sorry I didn't realize I was in the bad book thread.

Yeah the TV one doesn't have any creeping.

Also the show goes in some different directions by season 2 and 3.

One is about a Korean woman who is a nurse and dates this american soldier.

But she has ghosts coming out of her.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Oh, I'm so sorry I didn't realize I was in the bad book thread.

Yeah the TV one doesn't have any creeping.

Also the show goes in some different directions by season 2 and 3.

One is about a Korean woman who is a nurse and dates this american soldier.

But she has ghosts coming out of her.

Haha no worries. I was actually wanting to check out the show anyway because the core setup was that interesting, regardless of whatever got changed along the way.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Please tell me if this isn't the right place to post it, but while on the topic of writers being terrible about sex/rape, I'm curious about other people's opinions on Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series.

The protagonist rapes a teenage girl early in the first book, and it's a thing that keeps coming up as the protag beats himself up about it and sees the lasting effects years down the line. It certainly is a... choice... to use that device in setting up an antihero, and the act isn't lingered on or anything, but it always makes me feel weird when describing and recommending the book to others.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I think they're compelling, interesting books, but by God they're an unpleasant read at times. Sexual assault and loss of body autonomy are themes he returns to often in his work, but I don't think it was ever portrayed as anything other than a traumatizing horror. As an author he's interested in the worst pieces of humanity, but he's not out to lionize or titillate.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Well-put. There's an lot of handwringing and anger and scolding about that rape scene, but it's never depicted as anything less than awful. It's more on point to say that it's narratively lazy and a bit cheap, like a girlfriend in a fridge moment, and uses the only rape in the book primarily as motivation for the male chatacter.

The books as a whole are a difficult thing. There's some really imaginative work in there, but the tormented hero who spends all their time moaning about their torment is seriously out of fashion now. Also, I'm 30 years older than when I read them first and enjoyed them ...

Thinking back, I feel there's a distinct similarity to Ender's Game - an unlikely anti-hero is somehow special and made responsible for Everything, spending large amounts of time in self-regret. Something of it's time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://news.ansible.uk/plotdev.html

"The Well-Tempered Plot Device", Nick Lowe, Ansible 46, July 1986. posted:

Clench Racing

This is a social and competitive sport, that can be played over and over with renewed pleasure. Playing equipment currently on the market restricts the number of players to six, but the manufacturers may yet issue the series of proposed supplements to raise the maximum eventually to nine.

The rules are simple. Each player takes a different volume of The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, and at the word "go" all open their books at random and start leafing through, scanning the pages. The winner is the first player to find the word "clench". It's a fast, exciting game – sixty seconds is unusually drawn-out – and can be varied, if players get too good, with other favourite Donaldson words like wince, flinch, gag, rasp, exigency, mendacity, articulate, macerate, mien, limn, vertigo, cynosure.... It's a great way to get thrown out of bookshops. Good racing!