Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

Darknet Diaries podcast had a really good episode going into all the behind the scenes paperwork to get the US to authorize offensive use of a zero-day.

https://podcasts.google.com?feed=aH...C1taXNoYXAubXAz

I have learned so goddamn much from this podcast. It's one of the best things I've gotten into in recent years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Blind Rasputin posted:

That’s insane looking. I’ve always wondered what the underside of the VLS launchers look like on our US warships? Are those things in a space that like, beltfeeds further missiles into place fro reload or are they manually reloaded from underneath?

US VLS tubes are reloaded externally. The earlier Arleigh Burkes have their own self-loading crane called a Strikedown to replenish at sea but this capability wasn't apparently very safe so they stopped adding them to later ships.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Blind Rasputin posted:

That’s insane looking. I’ve always wondered what the underside of the VLS launchers look like on our US warships? Are those things in a space that like, beltfeeds further missiles into place fro reload or are they manually reloaded from underneath?

The US design for VLS is fairly different from the Russian one, and each cell acts as both the launcher and magazine. They are reloaded with a crane from above, and it's quite difficult to do at sea so it's done at port. The Navy used to have more ability to do so by using smaller replacement missiles, but ultimately discarded the capability as expensive and unnecessary. The highly mechanical Russian revolver system looks like a reliability nightmare to me, and it can't be reloaded at sea either.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/navy-ships/a27205/navy-reload-missile-silos-at-sea/

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Lake of Methane posted:

The VLS for up to 64 S-300F missiles is on the back half of the ship, between the two superstructures. They appear to be undamaged on the Moskva, but I just thought this was ... something.

https://twitter.com/Saturnax1/status/1078263088116367360?s=20

I imagine this is assembly building and then the whole thing is craned into a sensible space (as noted previously, no compartmentalization).

Unless free surface effect's a capitalist plot to keep the proletariat oppressed?

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Blind Rasputin posted:

You don't reload a vls at sea, what happens is that cannisters containing the missiles are craned out from the tubes at port.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Blind Rasputin posted:

No, the only thing we had that was close to this were the "rotating arm" launch pylons. Those reloaded from a magazine below decks.

US VLS cells on ships are loaded from above into cells at ports. They use a crane to slip individual weapons into individual cells. The crew can't slip another weapon into a cell once it's fired from below, the VLS cell is just an armored "box" on the ship.

Russian VLS like this are more akin to a revolver than our "one use firework shell" cell system. Additionally, the S-300 is a cold launch missile, which means it has to use a charge to propel it up high enough and away from the ship before it's safe to ignite the booster engine. Russian ships also like to cant tubes slightly so missiles that fail to ignite generally fall in the water and not, say, on deck.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is this a new thing by Google?

https://twitter.com/dantes76/status/1516024444837322752?s=21&t=fJDyRvLX-K4Vcz_5qBZX4w

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I have learned so goddamn much from this podcast. It's one of the best things I've gotten into in recent years.

Oh for sure it's so good at helping me understand new info and has practical advice. Like the IRS episode taught me that you can register accounts with them to help secure your profile and I did that same day. Or the iPhone hacking episode was educational about how some of the tools are so good they could take control of phones without the user clicking any malicious links.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

I don’t know but wouldnt be shocked. Lots of random satellite photos are blocked around the world at the behest of governments.

Also as someone who works in tech, I can’t wait for this war to end, and some VP or product manager to rush around reimplementing a bunch of stuff the Russians want or lifting sanctions so they can juice their numbers and get a promo or bonus.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Mustang posted:

In my unit there were some enterprising young NCO's that noticed there was some equipment in the arms room that wasn't on the books and they wanted it for themselves. They roped in their platoon leader who also wanted some of it, even went up to his commander and was like "hey sir, want any of this poo poo from the arms room that's not on the books?".

The commander's response was basically "are you loving kidding me?". I don't know what happened to the NCO's but the LT was dealt with by the brigade commander.

That LT was too stupid for his own good and deserved everything he got.

The first rule of secrets is you keep them to yourself and nobody else.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Missile strike on Lviv, some bad pics online :(

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

The first rule of secrets is you keep them to yourself and nobody else.
It's amazing how many people don't realize this.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Woodchip posted:

Missile strike on Lviv, some bad pics online :(

Any idea on the scale or target?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/liveuamap/status/1516037482386763782?s=21

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Here in the west, a VP in a bank is not a big deal. Hell, I'm a VP at a bank. Is that the same in Russia? Is this guy actually important, or is he some flunky.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Cimber posted:

Here in the west, a VP in a bank is not a big deal. Hell, I'm a VP at a bank. Is that the same in Russia? Is this guy actually important, or is he some flunky.

Just tying up some loose ends... nothing to see here. :yikes:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Lake of Methane posted:

The VLS for up to 64 S-300F missiles is on the back half of the ship, between the two superstructures. They appear to be undamaged on the Moskva, but I just thought this was ... something.

https://twitter.com/Saturnax1/status/1078263088116367360?s=20

Varyag (another Slava-class) came to San Francisco a few years back and, while they wouldn't let tourists into the skin of the ship, just wandering around the main deck was eye-opening. Like, the number of things very obviously painted into immobility and the fact that the Russians still haven't invented non-skid yet.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Just Another Lurker posted:

Just tying up some loose ends... nothing to see here. :yikes:

Several windows were brought in for questioning.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Madurai posted:

Varyag (another Slava-class) came to San Francisco a few years back and, while they wouldn't let tourists into the skin of the ship, just wandering around the main deck was eye-opening. Like, the number of things very obviously painted into immobility and the fact that the Russians still haven't invented non-skid yet.

This isn't the first story where a Russian ship was docked, some folks walked onto it to check it out, and were impressed by how bad it was. The fact that they were inviting random Americans to come check it all out belies an institutionalized belief that they're doing a really good job.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Madurai posted:

You don’t even need special paint, just throw a handful of grit in there.

Barcley
Jan 26, 2004

---

Soiled Meat

FrozenVent posted:

You don’t even need special paint, just throw a handful of grit in there.

The grit was traded away for booze

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

cruft posted:

This isn't the first story where a Russian ship was docked, some folks walked onto it to check it out, and were impressed by how bad it was. The fact that they were inviting random Americans to come check it all out belies an institutionalized belief that they're doing a really good job.

Reminds me of the British Royal Navy in the late Victorian era; while the strongest at the time got complacent and super focused on pomp and being the coolest looking ship, officers even bought their own paint for the ships and the brasswork was polished to unusability.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Reminds me of the British Royal Navy in the late Victorian era; while the strongest at the time got complacent and super focused on pomp and being the coolest looking ship, officers even bought their own paint for the ships and the brasswork was polished to unusability.

They had masts and sails long past the point of uselessness so they could still practice drills.

Peacetime militaries are amazing.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

They had masts and sails long past the point of uselessness so they could still practice drills.

Peacetime militaries are amazing.

they are!

https://twitter.com/expatua/status/1516087197920813061?s=20&t=VY1xVCwoMTCg3KitJ4xYyw

lol

Agean90 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 18, 2022

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

How do you polish brass to unusable?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It might be hyperbole, but in theory you could wear threads or valves to the point where they're no longer water tight?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That was all I could think of

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Blistex posted:

It might be hyperbole, but in theory you could wear threads or valves to the point where they're no longer water tight?

Perhaps getting stuff so gummed up with polish that parts won't move - like a brass pulley or something of that ilk.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

More information on the Mosvka crew is becoming publicly available. At least 40 killed, 200 wounded (apparently a lot of burn victims), and many missing. A lot of conscripts, who weren't supposed to be involved in combat, were on board. All of this is reported by (understandably) hysterical family members, so nothing too concrete, but the bottom line is that a lot of people are dead or permanently disfigured due to Russian incompetence.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/18/moskva-warship-need-answers-relatives-missing-crew-russia

In other news, Ukraine's high command is reporting that the Russian offensive in the Donbass has begun.

https://www.facebook.com/100069073844828/posts/298835222428937/?d=n

psydude fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 18, 2022

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

psydude posted:

More information on the Mosvka crew is becoming publicly available. At least 40 killed, 200 wounded (apparently a lot of burn victims), and many missing. A lot of conscripts, who weren't supposed to be involved in combat, were on board. All of this is reported by (understandably) hysterical family members, so nothing too concrete, but the bottom line is that a lot of people are dead or permanently disfigured due to Russian incompetence.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/18/moskva-warship-need-answers-relatives-missing-crew-russia

It's sounding like the initial hit was bad enough that it overwhelmed the small number of properly trained DC personnel on the Moskva and the captain made the call to save as many people as he could, according to what survivor accounts have been hitting the media so far.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Considering how widespread the fire damage looks to be (all the way aft) it's pretty clear they didn't have bulkheads between spaces sealed very well.

I assume that in a rational navy patrolling within striking range of a hostile force all the bulkhead doors would normally be dogged down unless you are transiting between spaces?

Edit: ^^^ I thought the captain died? Or was that mis-reported?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Murgos posted:

Edit: ^^^ I thought the captain died? Or was that mis-reported?

Even if he lived, I would not be betting on the high side for his life expectancy in Russia after making a decision to save politically worthless conscript lives at the cost of an already-sinking ship sinking.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Cythereal posted:

It's sounding like the initial hit was bad enough that it overwhelmed the small number of properly trained DC personnel on the Moskva and the captain made the call to save as many people as he could, according to what survivor accounts have been hitting the media so far.

Wasn't that similar to Japanese fire fighting doctrine during WWII? Have a core group of sailors well trained, but with the downside if those guys are incapacitated there isn't any redundancy, and you wind up torpedoing the burned out hulks of your carrier group off Midway?

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The story goes at least that they were polishing brass watertight doors to the point where they were worn down by the polishing enough that they weren't watertight.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Isn't it standard practice in the US Navy (and I'm guessing most NATO navies) for every sailor to be proficient in damage control? I'm guessing just like compartmentalization, this is a 20th century lesson that the Russian Navy never bothered to learn.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Wasn't that similar to Japanese fire fighting doctrine during WWII? Have a core group of sailors well trained, but with the downside if those guys are incapacitated there isn't any redundancy, and you wind up torpedoing the burned out hulks of your carrier group off Midway?

It sounds like the reasons are pretty different, here it's sounding like most of the ship's crew were conscripts that were simply never properly trained in damage control, but the net result is the same where you have only a small cadre of actual professionals with proper training on the ship.

There's also been accounts that the ship's damage control equipment in general was, by Western standards, outdated and insufficient. And possibly under lock and key that could only be opened by senior officers to prevent theft if you believe that story.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Blistex posted:

Exactly that, also did it to hatches. :cripes:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Cythereal posted:

And possibly under lock and key that could only be opened by senior officers to prevent theft if you believe that story.

Did Triangle shirtwaist factory management design the Russian navy's firefighting procedures?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Cythereal posted:

And possibly under lock and key that could only be opened by senior officers to prevent theft if you believe that story.

I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Did Triangle shirtwaist factory management design the Russian navy's firefighting procedures?

Nah, the Triangle factory was great about securing all the doors.