Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I didn't feel like the base of my kickr core was particularly stable so I clamped it to a board with some leveling feet. Plus I put weights on the board. Solid and stays in place. Plus the floor is a little crooked and the trainer flexes a bit to the right so being able to fine tune that is nice.

and here is a power curve from intervals.icu. Although it only has the last two winters. I like to think I can do better when i'm riding outside and racing and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I have a Saris H3 and mainly use trainer road for indoor riding.

I also have a stages single sided crank power meter and a garmin.

With both calibrated fairly regularly, I appear to have a 40 or 50 watt ftp differential between indoor and outdoor riding.

Haven’t done an ftp test outside, but averaging 70 W higher than my trainerroad ftp tests seems odd.

And that disconnect makes Strava (with heartrate monitor and my ftp entered) report my rides as ~65% zone 7 or something.
Anyone else have this problem?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I can average about 30w higher outdoors.
I attribute this largely to lack of practice indoors, and lack of effective cooling. The latter makes a huge difference.

I don't use any training features on strava so I have no idea if it fucks up the zones.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
My indoor and outdoor numbers are close with indoors being a little higher because, I'm assuming:

1) Less external stimuli to bump my HR up (bad air quality, pollen, cars, bumpy road surfaces, pack riding, random hazards, etc.)
2) Better environmental control indoors with lots of fans and chillier temps.

I ride a shitload indoors though and people who only use their indoor trainers sporadically probably have only partial adaptation...

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I'm curious about opinions on bike frame sizes. I'm about to buy a Scott Sub Cross bike, I'm 175cm and the calculators, including Scott's own show that M size is the best fit for me with L being quite close by.
I just tried both sizes and M felt just like my current bike while L felt way more relaxed position wise. How do I tell when a frame is too big for me? Should I be concerned about picking L for any reason when calculators said M is the size for me? It's not very exact science is it?

Sininu fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 18, 2022

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

First half of last year, vs this year. Don't have a bad injury folks, it fucks up your power numbers!

Sininu posted:

I'm curious about opinions on bike frame sizes. I'm about to buy a Scott Sub Cross bike, I'm 175cm and the calculators, including Scott's own show that M size is the best fit for me with L being quite close by.
I just tried both sizes and M felt just like my current bike while L felt way more relaxed position wise. How do I tell when a frame is too big for me? Should I be concerned about picking L for any reason when calculators said M is the size for me? It's not very exact science is it?

This is the indoor thread, you probably want the general bike thread here.

That being said, have you had a bike fit? There is a lot you can do to adjust where the contact points are on a bike, it's not just set saddle and go.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

MrL_JaKiri posted:

First half of last year, vs this year. Don't have a bad injury folks, it fucks up your power numbers!

This is the indoor thread, you probably want the general bike thread here.

That being said, have you had a bike fit? There is a lot you can do to adjust where the contact points are on a bike, it's not just set saddle and go.

Oops! My mistake. I just read bicycles and entered the thread...

Development
Jun 2, 2016

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Don't have a bad injury burnout folks, it fucks up your power numbers!

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

This year's fitness is a struggle, but I'm happy to hold on to what I got so far.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Burnout squad :negative:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

long line crew

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

If I trusted my garmin to actually work all the way my line would be super long post LEL this summer

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Woof, solid 45w down on ftp from last year.
Worst part is, I don't think it's wrong. :(

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
eh he heh he mFTP 276W.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Very slow start to this year for me too

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
slowly crawling back from nearly 3 months off, catching little wisps of my old fitness levels :unsmith:

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008

Jackson Polack posted:

I bought the drat thing. For aussie posters there’s a 20% off sale for wahoo trainers on ozbargain at the moment.

Got a 20% sale on a Kickr Bike this week and just finished setting it up a few minutes ago. Wasn't through ozbargain, but through a local Melbourne chain that was having a storewide 20% sale.

I know the new freshness in this thread seems to be the Stages SB20, but I thought 20% was a hell of a deal and I was considering picking one up at full price in a few months when our Melbourne Winter sets in, so this was an early bargain. I've been lurking in this thread for months in anticipation...

Haven't had a real spin on it yet, but I'm very impressed so far with the build quality and setup process.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Joined a new, more serious cycling club in January, and have been getting much faster since, though sadly not much lighter.

Jackson Polack
Feb 13, 2018
The big chain store for bikes in my city is all out of 11-speed road bikes with dropbar handles in my size at every location. The sales rep emailed me a link to a facebook marketplace listing for a Scott Solace 20 with rim brakes. Can any one offer any guidance on whether this is good value. He dropped the price further in conversation to 1500$ . Otherwise there was plenty of bikes with just the flat handle in my size with disc brakes and the right cassette size in store. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1950626015128426/

If Im mostly using it with a kickr trainer (arrived today! wahoo!) Does the rim brakes make it harder to assemble and dissassemble? Any red flags about this bike in particular?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Jackson Polack posted:

The big chain store for bikes in my city is all out of 11-speed road bikes with dropbar handles in my size at every location. The sales rep emailed me a link to a facebook marketplace listing for a Scott Solace 20 with rim brakes. Can any one offer any guidance on whether this is good value. He dropped the price further in conversation to 1500$ . Otherwise there was plenty of bikes with just the flat handle in my size with disc brakes and the right cassette size in store. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1950626015128426/

If Im mostly using it with a kickr trainer (arrived today! wahoo!) Does the rim brakes make it harder to assemble and dissassemble? Any red flags about this bike in particular?

Rim-brake bikes are probably easier to place on a direct-drive trainer because the caliper is completely out of the way of the hub axle and cassette.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Crumps Brother posted:

If you scrub backwards you'll lose everything you did up to that point. Ask me how I know this!
Found out yesterday that tr now has a confirmation dialog for this exact scenario. There's some forward progress.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Did the stupid zwift mountain climb. Ended the ride.

I wanted a cool down so I did a putter around London or whatever.

Loaded that up too.

Oh, my 650m climbing effort didn't bother uploading to loving Strava but the 40m elevation in a 15 minute London ride did. How about gently caress you zwift/Strava

:comeback:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Loaded that up too.

Oh, my 650m climbing effort didn't bother uploading to loving Strava but the 40m elevation in a 15 minute London ride did. How about gently caress you zwift/Strava

Download it off strava and upload it manually?

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Loaded that up too.

you can usually do a manual upload.
Uploading Zwift Activities Manually
If your activity has not automatically uploaded to your Strava account, you can still upload it manually.

From a computer
Navigate to zwift.com/feed and click on Just Me.
Find your missing activity and view the activity page.
Click on the Gear Icon (Activity Settings) and under Fit File download the activity file.
Open this page on the Strava website, click Choose Files and select the FIT file.
From a mobile device (requires iOS10 and cloud storage service like iCloud, Dropbox, or Google Drive).
Navigate to my.Zwift.com in a mobile browser and log into your Zwift account.
Click the Download link under the activity you'd like to upload.
Follow the prompts to save the file to your preferred cloud-based service (requires cloud service storage such as iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive).
Open a new browser tab and navigate to https://www.strava.com/upload/select. Tap Choose File, choose the cloud service where you saved the file and select the FIT file.

Flipgrip
Feb 16, 2007

Hi.

I have a wahoo kickr core and I felt like I was always topped out in my gears on crit city races in zwift (2x9 kona rove DL).

I only train in zwift but I maxed out the wheel circumference setting through the wahoo app (from 2.06 m to 2.65 m) because I had read that it essentially "gave more gears" so I'm not always maxed out on gears when racing.

Does this affect power output or speed in zwift? Aka give me an unfair advantage? I've read that it doesn't and I can't think of how it would. It feels sorta like an actual difficulty slider has been turned up(not the silly zwift one) for me where I mash a little more now and spin less

Buuuut I also don't want to be a cheating turd. Thoughts?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Flipgrip posted:

Hi.

I have a wahoo kickr core and I felt like I was always topped out in my gears on crit city races in zwift (2x9 kona rove DL).

I only train in zwift but I maxed out the wheel circumference setting through the wahoo app (from 2.06 m to 2.65 m) because I had read that it essentially "gave more gears" so I'm not always maxed out on gears when racing.

Does this affect power output or speed in zwift? Aka give me an unfair advantage? I've read that it doesn't and I can't think of how it would. It feels sorta like an actual difficulty slider has been turned up(not the silly zwift one) for me where I mash a little more now and spin less

It most certainly does not affect power output. Power output is tied directly to actual flywheel acceleration and speed.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Flipgrip posted:

Hi.

This is a common fix that people do with Kickrs, especially when they have stuff like MTB gearing, and like Tobin said, it doesn’t impact your power.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

mikemelbrooks posted:

you can usually do a manual upload.
Uploading Zwift Activities Manually
If your activity has not automatically uploaded to your Strava account, you can still upload it manually.

From a computer
Navigate to zwift.com/feed and click on Just Me.
Find your missing activity and view the activity page.
Click on the Gear Icon (Activity Settings) and under Fit File download the activity file.
Open this page on the Strava website, click Choose Files and select the FIT file.
From a mobile device (requires iOS10 and cloud storage service like iCloud, Dropbox, or Google Drive).
Navigate to my.Zwift.com in a mobile browser and log into your Zwift account.
Click the Download link under the activity you'd like to upload.
Follow the prompts to save the file to your preferred cloud-based service (requires cloud service storage such as iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive).
Open a new browser tab and navigate to https://www.strava.com/upload/select. Tap Choose File, choose the cloud service where you saved the file and select the FIT file.

Slow to reply, but thanks to you both for your effort posts.

I managed to use the fit file tools to sort it out.

Flipgrip
Feb 16, 2007

thanks all, that's what I figured because of the above but it felt different and I happened to win the next race I was in so therefore was worried I'd given myself an invisible edge 😱

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Always the excuse to play with some power tools, I'm gonna build a rocker plate. What's the better option a) a 4' piano hinge or b) 2-3 of these bearing door hinges?

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

I'm picturing two 3/4" pieces of plywood with a channel on each formed by thin strips. A row of lacrosse balls down the middle would act as the fulcrum to let you rock side to side.

https://imgur.com/a/8ZGnAPn

Basically stealing the idea of this kids' chair.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I was mostly basing off of the GCN example. They used the bearing hinges, but I was thinking a 4' piano hinge would make easy work keeping the pivot in a straight line.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

The only thing I would be concerned about would be shearing the relatively smaller diameter pin in the hinge. But I definitely agree it would be easier to have one giant long hinge in a straight line versus the two or more of a normal hinge.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Come And See posted:

Could anyone recommend me a fancy indoor stationary bike?

I don't own a normal bike, I've finally moved into a house with space, this would be my first exercise equipment and I want to lose weight over the winter. I'm a big guy, 6'1", 280lb.

My budget could go as high as $4000. I rarely ever treat myself (I can afford it, I'm just crazy frugal) and I want to get something I can be proud of that will last me.

I want the best bike my budget can buy within reason, but don't need fancy software for entertainment (I plan on watching Netflix) and am averse to anything subscription-based. Tech for health tracking is fine but not a requirement.

I already own a large industrial fan.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Bit of a success story here. I went with the Stages SB20 in late November, rode while watching Netflix, before getting set up for Zwift during Christmas. Now I ride 3 - 8 hours per week.
My legs have never been so toned (it's kinda freaky actually), I've worked my way up to 200 FTP and a sustained 1.6 W/kg, completed the Ride California Challenge, and am now waiting for a Garmin Forerunner 745 to go on sale.

Yesterday I scaled the Alpe du Zwift for the first time.

Thank you to everyone here, in particular e.pilot and TobinHatesYou, I couldn't have made it this far without your sage advice!

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
Get it, get it.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Come And See posted:

Bit of a success story here. I went with the Stages SB20 in late November, rode while watching Netflix, before getting set up for Zwift during Christmas. Now I ride 3 - 8 hours per week.
My legs have never been so toned (it's kinda freaky actually), I've worked my way up to 200 FTP and a sustained 1.6 W/kg, completed the Ride California Challenge, and am now waiting for a Garmin Forerunner 745 to go on sale.

Thank you to everyone here, in particular e.pilot and TobinHatesYou, I couldn't have made it this far without your sage advice!

this is good as hell

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Come And See posted:

my man :toot:

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Come And See posted:

dude this rules so hard!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
My trainer tyre finally gave up and just degloved itself mid ride.

I think this is a sign to get a direct drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I'm thinking about giving TrainerRoad a try. What are the sessions like? Are you just staring at a power graph or is there something more to keep you engaged?