Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Can someone explain the senators wife to me. Like, why was she severed and for what purpose. I didn't get the point about the birth and why she doesn't remember and he mentioned something about her not wanting children?? What's her plot point?

amazing show, loved binging it. The acting is perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
The elite are being severed for things that are maybe unpleasant (birth) creating innies that people aren’t aware of generally and an entirely other crop of ethical questions Lumon is trying to get public support for.

Edit: it really ties back to the Eagan lines about spreading Kiers severance chips and how far Lumon is taking what they’re doing and suggesting they’re more far along infiltrating the decision makers than they let on publicly.

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 18, 2022

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
lol I'm dumb and suddenly realized why they didn't use the same baby name as she said she was going to

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

i am a moron posted:

The elite are being severed for things that are maybe unpleasant (birth) creating innies that people aren’t aware of generally and an entirely other crop of ethical questions Lumon is trying to get public support for.

Edit: it really ties back to the Eagan lines about spreading Kiers severance chips and how far Lumon is taking what they’re doing and suggesting they’re more far along infiltrating the decision makers than they let on publicly.

Oh okay. So basically they just have an innie for her when shes giving birth.

And the creators daughter created an innie just to publisize how "nice" a life the innies have?

Cool thanks. I'm more surprised that creating an innie basically doesn't replicate their brain development that has happened and therefore some of them are so different between their innie and outie. Like doesn't trauma, chemical abuse etc. shape your synapses or whatever they are called. People should still retain some of how they physically developed in their brain.
edit: oh good thing they kept christopher walken gay on the outside as well, that would have been a can of worms.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Lascivious Sloth posted:

edit: oh good thing they kept christopher walken gay on the outside as well, that would have been a can of worms.

Setting aside he might be bi, there's an easy road to take without being insensitive to representation. Burt could be unhappily married to a woman as a gay man who repressed his identity due to societal pressures and the like. Audiences would get to see a side effect of severance that might come as unexpected, that Burt can be more of his true self as an innie.

Incidentally the way the show went with it is great too, and the emotional drive of Irving in particular is great to watch.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I'm more surprised that creating an innie basically doesn't replicate their brain development that has happened and therefore some of them are so different between their innie and outie. Like doesn't trauma, chemical abuse etc. shape your synapses or whatever they are called. People should still retain some of how they physically developed in their brain.

as far as i understand, which isn't much but i've read a bit, yeah you would find yourself naturally behaving in ways which wouldn't have any experiential basis you could point to.

there are a couple of instances through the season, like irving just sort of knowing how to drive and being surprised at this, but i think the whole memory segmentation thing is done in a broadstrokes sort of way because the most important thing is to arrive at the strict division and then introduce overlap rather than try to account for all we know about how the brain works.

i'm not even sure how much of what we do and say can be said to be conscious. a lot of it is soft wired into your brain through things that happened before and created those neural pathways. you just say things, do things, and retroactively decide they make sense with the story you have in your head about who you are - or that they DON'T, and become very distressed. which we don't see much of at all in severance.

i don't think that's the level the show is operating on though, it's a social critique, not an examination of consciousness. they'll dip their toes into the latter but i think what they've done so far has already contradicted the way we think human brains work so much that it's probably better if they don't try and integrate it too much, because it'll just create more contradictions.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Oh okay. So basically they just have an innie for her when shes giving birth.

And the creators daughter created an innie just to publisize how "nice" a life the innies have?

Cool thanks. I'm more surprised that creating an innie basically doesn't replicate their brain development that has happened and therefore some of them are so different between their innie and outie. Like doesn't trauma, chemical abuse etc. shape your synapses or whatever they are called. People should still retain some of how they physically developed in their brain.

The two Mark’s aren’t very different personality wise. Outtie Mark seems like a pretty good guy when he isn’t wasted. Also, Helly and Helena are likely very similar personality wise. They just have different goals based on their circumstances.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Yeah, I’ve mentioned it earlier itt but I can definitely see Helly acting off a subconscious knowledge that people are supposed to do whatever the gently caress she says posthaste. And “you smug motherfucker” seems pretty on-brand for Irving’s outie from what we’ve seen. Wouldn’t be surprised if he has a deep, almost religious fixation on ending Lumon to mirror innie Irving’s reverence for the company.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

A theory about Irv:

In episode 1, when Devon makes the sandwich for Mark, she asks "Hey, how's the good doctor therapy man, with that weird little mustache?". Mark indicates he's not going to therapy.

There aren't throwaway lines in this show. I bet Mark's therapist is Irv. The two don't encounter each other on the outside because Mark repeatedly says that severance is helping him therapeutically. This also would be a way writers could solve Irv banging on Burt's door. He'll either be Burt's, or Burt's partner's therapist. Maybe he specializes in severed patients.

It would be very in the spirit of the show to have "Irv as artist" be misdirection. Moreover, Irv might have some connection to the severance process, possibly was seminal to its creation. He could then have undergone the procedure, with some idealistic intent that Lumon and the Eagans later subvert. Outtie Irv then sours on severance, and I think he knows innies can be psychologically conditioned. His art and sleep deprivation are attempts to recondition his innie. Prior conditioning could have made innie Irv embrace the Kier cult so fully. To undo that conditioning, he must be strident with consistent dark elevator imagery and the Ace of Spades. The song will, for sure, appear in a MDE at some point in season 2.

I think there's more to the black goo than Irv's paint, but don't have a theory there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I noticed the camera change focal length when they traverse the severance barrier, but my eye's not good enough to tell if they kept using different lenses for inside and outside. Jessica Lee Gagné says they used wide angle for inside because it creates a more surveillance-cam like feeling.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did use specific lenses to differentiate inside from outside but I do not personally believe they stuck to this exactly. There are plenty of outside shots with wide angles and inside shots with narrow angles.

Which reminds me of something I wanted to mention: As "That guy who wrote essays in the Mr. Robot thread" I would be remiss not to mention that Jessica Lee Gagné and Ben Stiller have made sure to not fall into the same trap that later Mr. Robot seasons fell into.

Shots like these:

And these:

They all have a purpose behind them. There's a specific feeling being conveyed, a meaning behind the shot, a story and a vibe without saying a word. Throughout the entire season this has been true, if not outright obvious, but at no point did it feel like it was done for the sake of doing it. That's the trap Mr. Robot fell into. The entire first season was shot and directed based on how the pilot was shot and directed, done well by a mix of different people ensuring they kept things crafted meticulously. This was the first season, they had to make an impression. Then the creator decided he would be the permanent director of the show and everything fell apart. Instead of putting effort behind these interesting shots, they were just thrown in wherever it seemed appropriate. It went into overkill and beat a dead horse. The off-center, out-of-focus shots were done so much that SNL ended up making a joke about it. What was once art became parody.

Of course there is still the possibility that Severance could fall into this trap as well, but considering the consistency of direction and cinematography in season 1 (even though Stiller wasn't there for "the middle part,") it seems like there shouldn't be any missteps along this show's journey of creation. Plus, Mr. Robot's pilot was directed by Niels Arden Oplev with cinematography by Tim Ives, neither of which worked on any other episode of the show. Consistent production for Severance practically guarantees that they'll stick to a consistent visual script and that... that has me excited.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

To anyone who enjoys the themes in this show I highly recommend the game Soma.

Totally doing a replay of it now because of severance.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Fyi, the SeveranceAppleTVPlus subreddit is hosting an AMA.with Dan Erickson on Thursday at noon PST.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
That Vulture article cites Lars Tunbjork's Office as a visual reference and you can really see the aesthetic in some of the cleaner shots being referenced in Severance. Definitely a cool influence of that and The Backrooms that gives the show it's eerie vibe.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

veni veni veni posted:

To anyone who enjoys the themes in this show I highly recommend the game Soma.

Totally doing a replay of it now because of severance.

I’m always down to +1 a SOMA recommendation. It’s such a good game. One of the best narrative experiences I’ve ever had.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Soma been in my periphery of "games that are probably my kind of poo poo, but strangely have no motivation to seek it out" but if it's a good dragon to chase between seasons of this, I should give it some priority.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I made a mistake in my social media actions and have ended up in the Tumblr Severance fandom and let me tell you they loving love Irving.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

You smug Irving lover

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Soma is absolutely the best horror game ever made, and it has a great story.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

No, Devon hands the baby to Cobel.

Edit: But before that, she confronts Mark and he says he needs to get to his sister and says "Thanks, Ms. Cobel."

I SCREAMED at my TV when that happened.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

dan erickson did an AMA on reddit, here's a link to his user page so you dont have to read the unimportant posts:

https://www.reddit.com/user/DanEricksonMDR/comments/

someone asked about the "I'm your best friend - you're my very good friend" line Petey says that always had me curious if there was some extra meaning, and the answer is - nope, doc, you dummy

quote:

Not really, it was just some Petey snark. I think Mark's his best friend too, but that's just me.

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 21, 2022

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Colonel J posted:

I SCREAMED at my TV when that happened.

I did a sharp gasp and my wife was like 'what?!- ooooooh shiiiit.'

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Aye Doc posted:

dan erickson did an AMA on reddit, here's a link to his user page so you dont have to read the unimportant posts:

someone asked about the "I'm your best friend - you're my very good friend" line Petey says that always had me curious if there was some extra meaning, and the answer is - nope, doc, you dummy

lol I thought this would mean something deeper too

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Aye Doc posted:

I knew it !!!! :marx:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/mradamscott/status/1517223202530881536

MyLightyear
Jul 2, 2006
A blindness that touches perfection,
But hurts just like anything else.
So I’m rewatching this masterpiece of a show after binging it over a few days and reading a pile of interviews and media.

The opening to episode 5 when Mark finds Helly hanging in the elevator is all the more horrifying when you consider that in some ways he’s effectively 5 years old. His wide eyed horror really got to me.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Yeah, the innies' childlike nature hits me way harder the second time through.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
That Reddit AMA gave me even more confidence in the show after such a wonderful first season.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
He also said that the ebook is canon.

demostars
Apr 8, 2020
drat, that pilot first draft that was linked in the AMA is super interesting: http://tvwriting.co.uk/tv_scripts/2021/Drama/Severance_1x01_-_Mister.pdf

Things I've noticed are

• Mark is actually the newest employee in the earliest version, with Helly being the most senior employee at 19 years old :stare: Seems like the Eagans wouldn't have even had an issue with child labor if she wanted to do that in the canonical version either. Irving is a new hire in this too, and Mark is still being hired to replace Petey.
  • Milchick and Cobel administered the new employee orientation for Mark, Cobel giving a variant of her speech about Hell. Instead, though, she talks about "finding new angels" instead of "creating new hells" at work. She related does use the "Hell speech in act 3 when kidnapping and forcing Mark to sever. Guess they swapped her treatment of innie and outie Mark for the final version.

• The original name of MDR was the "Culling Office," so with that plus the Apple Books thing they released, I think it's a pretty safe bet that they are killing people with their terminals (somehow).
  • Irving seems to be less of a naive Kier devotee in this and more... mentally challenged? Helly uses the word "different" to describe him, and also says he's a savant at culling [data].
  • They don't hide the innies' last names from them in this.
  • Mark gets access to the video archives room at Lumen in act 2, expediting a lot of the "discovery" in this. He gets the first outie video, about this being voluntary and that he should not seek information about himself outside of work.
  • Devon and Ricken still show up in act 3!
  • Mark apparently meets Cobel in this after killing her cat while driving to a job interview he's running late for. She then drugs him with a pickle when he comes back to apologize (???) and handcuffs him in her basement to tell him about Lumen and the rat she keeps in an eternal state of torture by severing it and branding it with a hot iron whenever it's in its innie form. hosed and glad this psuedo-SAW poo poo didn't survive the cutting room floor lol.
  • Mark goes to the cops, meets some weird Twin Peaks girl at the station (maybe the original version of Petey's daughter?), and the cops don't believe him because Lumen disassembles Cobel's home overnight (again lol what a way to do the "crazy story cops don't believe" trope)
  • Mark ultimately accepts the job because of the money, blackmail and.... that he's really sad that his wife DIVORCED him in this version. Honestly, though, it seems like Ms. Casey/Gemma is still employed by Lumen, and gave Cobel dirt on him about a suicide attempt and other things to force him to work there in this version. Seems like how they would have found that out in the long run but I might be contextualizing it too much with the final drafts.

Anyway, it was cool to see where it came from and that things like Dylan's characterization were still present, but it sure has come a long way.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha this is a trip to read.

Milchick being a marky-goober at the introduction, and crowned idiot king by cobel! Mark being the naked action man running through heavily populated cubicle labrynths and decking the security guard. Going on a walk with cobel, feeding apples to horses? The weird moonbrain Irving and fussing about the lights! teen helly? already interesting how they've rearranged the parts and ideas here, and how they remain. This draft quickly establishes the company is cool with severing teens(helly been there since 16), people who might have some vague disability or something. Little less opaque about the work, including some pre-training apparently on the part of the outtie. Catholic & angel OD on heroin chat with Cobel interesting. Wondering if they had planned a religious Kier angle yet or if maybe Cobel might have an ultierer faith in the show?

quote:

Dylan is 40, and despite a sense of swagger, looks vaguely diseased.

lol your classic vaguely diseased coworker. i know the type but dylan is so solidly dylan in my head already.

[spoiler]He stares at the computer screen in front of him. A series of green symbols, including letters, numbers and pictographs, moves across it in a single line.

Interesting, originally was a lot more variety than just scary numbers. While I would've been interested in the graphic designs they would come up with, the minimalist numbers is more effective.

quote:

The game is to turn the green symbols blue. You have to trick them. They’ll fight you.

MARK Okay. How?

HELLY Put your fingers on the keys. Your training will kick in.

Much more aggressive activity, department name. Plus the training aspect, less interesting if it's just "muscle/mind memory" of training done by the outtie. It being a more intuitive task done blindly allows for more runway to play with.

quote:

He notices a message scratched into the bottom corner of the stall: I’M TAKING ME WITH ME.

Weird takeaway, but in the show, I wonder who cleans the bathrooms.

quote:

HELLY
Because you’re more likely to accept it once they’ve broken you some.
This kind of circumstance and self-awareness would really stifle the overall vibe and build-up.

quote:

The narrow closet appears to stretch upward forever, with hundreds of levels of shelves stacked atop one another. The ceiling, if there is one, is not visible. Mark looks back at the word UP printed on the map.

I do like this kind of freaky space, gets a bit videogamey when he's sweaty crawling shelves so high he can't see the floor. Pretty cool to see how abstract of a space they were ready to jump to for this though, bodes well for future developments. Could they sneak some House of Leaves in the show?

quote:

Mark’s breath stops, but he keeps moving.

WOMAN’S VOICE (CONT’D) You can’t keep me here. They’ll come looking for me.

Mark stops inches from the cubicle. He notices an inch-wide gap between the frame and the fabric of one of the walls. He leans in to examine it.

Suddenly, a horrible, bloodshot EYE peers out.

WOMAN’S VOICE (CONT’D) I want to see my baby!

Panicking, Mark turns and flees the room.

2spooky2fast

quote:

MILCHICK I think the pants were a tertiary issue. The real problem’s my personality. I’ve been told I’m just awful.
[/spoiler]

All my homies friggin' hate first-draft "ol gill" Milchick

quote:

MARK What was in that pickle?

COBEL I won’t lie, there were drugs in the pickle.

quote:

COBEL It was specific, right? That’s the other thing I wanted to talk about. See, I work for an organization that’s in the business of specificity. We don’t like not knowing things.

Haha I really do not like this whole poison pickle/chained kidnapping/working for all-seeing-eye type org/rat torture/sadistic-lady-having-a-daughter deal one bit, not at all what the gently caress. I will grant them that the notion of Mark popping into a portapotty to talk to cobel about taking the job is funny.

quote:

Mark stands at the security station as a GUARD pats him down.

COBEL That won’t happen again. This one may fight for a time. But he will choose us as his home.

MAN’S VOICE And if he doesn’t choose us? The guard waves Mark to the door. Mark stares at his reflection in the glass, then pushes the door open and exits. Darkness.

COBEL Then he’ll have nothing left but the dark.

Wonder how much this translates to whatever is happening to Miss Casey when she's not awake and maybe what they've done to Irv before.

Very cool to read, interesting to see how much they reworked things and fleshed it out, making it more robust with less-is-more. Cobel and Milchick win award for most-improved characters.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

if anything from that script makes it into a future episode, I hope it's Patricia Arquette saying I won't lie... there were drugs in the pickle.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Apparently Ben Stiller really pushed back against the office being so absurd and more real, I think it works a lot better that way. Way more relatable, which is another great thing about this show.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Plus one scene with a handful of kids made the final version more surreal than the cavernous office spaces. Those were really cool in Control though!

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Aye Doc posted:

if anything from that script makes it into a future episode, I hope it's Patricia Arquette saying I won't lie... there were drugs in the pickle.

Do you think modern script writers are under (self inflicted) pressure to write things that would make great memes. Because that would be a pretty good meme.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

quote:

https://deadline.com/2022/04/severance-season-finale-ben-stiller-dan-erickson-tease-season-2-1234987043/
STILLER: I’m hoping to shoot Bag Man this summer, which would probably be as we’re gearing up for Season 2, but definitely plan to be involved in Season 2 very much and probably direct two episodes.
:sigh: I really hope whoever they bring on to direct are adept at their craft because this makes me sad.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
yeah it is a shame stiller won't be directing as many - looking at the episode list, the ones where i distinctly remember being impressed by the direction were all his. amazing at the start, then a kind of dip in the middle when he wasn't around, and a return to great stuff in the final three. not that any of it was even close to bad, it's just the episodes stiller directed had so many cool shots and sequences that i was really impressed many times.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
2 months ago I wouldn't have believed you if you said I'd be really bummed Mr. Fungus wasn't directing more eps of a show I loved.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I'm about to re-watch the season.

What are some examples of weaker mid-season scenes or directorial decisions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Really, it's the loss of Petey and the fun re-integration scenes that hits the most but also Irving's sleep deprivation hallucinations and strange Lumon rewards like the MDE.