Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Sometimes games change for the worse after hundreds or thousands of hours. My top played game on Steam is still Team Fortress 2 despite not having really played it in 9 years and I wouldn't wish it on anyone in its current state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah I think if you don’t like it why did you play for so long is perfectly valid.

I can understand whether I’m going to like a game or not within a couple hours. It ain’t hard

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You can hate a game that is satisfying to play, moment to moment. MGSV for example is a terrible game that feels really loving good to play.

I genuinely don't understand what this means. If it feels good to play, how is it a bad game?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah I think if you don’t like it why did you play for so long is perfectly valid.

I can understand whether I’m going to like a game or not within a couple hours. It ain’t hard

One's opinion can change over time.
For example, the quality of the game could go from "it's fine" to "pretty bad" after you pass the one chunk of content developers actually spent time polishing.

It's not a difficult concept to understand.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I wouldn't call mgs5 awful but it's unfinished and has some significant flaws. I still really love playing it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I wouldn't call mgs5 awful but it's unfinished and has some significant flaws. I still really love playing it

Yeah, despite it being unfinished MGSV has some amazing scenes and the moment to moment gameplay is very fun too.

That one Quarantine Platform scene will probably stick with me for ever.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Jack Trades posted:

For example, the quality of the game could go from "it's fine" to "pretty bad" after you pass the one chunk of content developers actually spent time polishing.

Similar to this, a game could be initially a lot of fun, but is incrementally ruined by the devs though various updates because the lead decided people weren't winning the correct way. :cough:Payday2:cough:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Jack Trades posted:

I have never played a game where this happened

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I have to ask on SA if a game newly out of early access is any good because I can’t tell if the reviews are up to date. Even then it’s a crapshoot because sometimes goons are really salty about something that was changed during early access and I have no clue what they are going on about

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I have noticed that you don't seem to play a lot of games or think much about the games you're playing, so I'm not really surprised.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

I have noticed that you don't seem to play a lot of games or think much about the games you're playing, so I'm not really surprised.

Oh wait this is you I’m replying to I shouldn’t be taking this seriously, your basically a more boring stux

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i miss stux whatever happened to that guy

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh wait this is you I’m replying to I shouldn’t be taking this seriously, your basically a more boring stux

Turn on your monitor.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ever tried Spelunky 2?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

i miss stux whatever happened to that guy

Stux got fuxed

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I genuinely don't understand what this means. If it feels good to play, how is it a bad game?

Movement and shooting feel slick as all hell. Everything feels right. Transitioning from a long range gunfight to CQC and then climbing onto your horse for a getaway is seamless. Then you do all that again. And again. And again. And it never gets harder, in fact it only gets easier. Then you realise that even from the start, you can literally just run from objective to objective without caring and get a higher score. And if you try to challenge yourself, go non-lethal, capture guys? Turns out that's even easier, because unlike going lethal, you remove bodies from the map and unlock even better guns.

Then again, do you even need better guns, when your silenced assault rifle can one-shot everyone with an easy bullet to the face? And poo poo, when you get Quiet, everybody's favourite bikini clad sniper who photosynthesises to make us ashamed of our words and deeds, you can literally just tell her to wipe out any enemy camp (and later she can tranquilise any enemy camp) with zero risk!

MGS1-3 were not terribly difficult games, but if you hosed up you had to do something about it. And to be fair to V, it has one of the best missions in the whole series. One good half hour section does not validate a 60 hour lot of nothing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah mgsv badly needed a high difficulty setting that wasn't a handful of missions in the second half

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

Ever tried Spelunky 2?

I didn’t even know there was a spelunking 2.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Bad Seafood posted:

Ever tried Spelunky 2?

what are you insinuating, spelunky 2 loving rules

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CharlestheHammer posted:

I didn’t even know there was a spelunking 2.

Spelunker was oddly popular in Japan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwzgPSKD5xA

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Remember Darwinia? It just got a free update to a "10000th Anniversary Edition" remaster for modern systems. Which is nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCr2_-hhG8

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
MGS V could be harder, but it's fairly easy to make it harder. Just play nonlethal and don't fulton guys until you've cleared the camp. It's still not that hard, but it does put more pressure on you.

I totally disagree that a game has to be hard to be good. If the mechanics are excellent at every level, it'll be fun. MGS V is easily the best stealth game ever made. It's just a shame that there isn't more of it. I don't think many people have played it and not enjoyed it, but if you play GZ and then TPP, it's clear that the effort that went into things like multiplayer, mother base/progression, and the open world would have been much better spent making more GZ-like content. Kojima mismanaged the enormous amount of time and money he spent on the game very badly, but the actual game design blows away all his prior MGS work.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Kins posted:

Remember Darwinia? It just got a free update to a "10000th Anniversary Edition" remaster for modern systems. Which is nice.

Christ, that sure is a blast from the past.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The Kins posted:

neat

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Darwinia owns but...I can't tell if anything's different about the remaster :kiddo:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

what are you insinuating, spelunky 2 loving rules
Spelunky 2 is great, casually. I had a lot of fun dying, learning, getting farther, eventually beating the game in one run. Then I tried to go for completion - encyclopedia entries, Cosmic Ocean, no cash runs, all that stuff - and the game devolved into tedium, frustration, trial and error. I spent about as much time trying to complete the game as I did trying to beat it, and it kinda soured me on the whole experience.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

dang that just reminds me i never turned in a single player eggplant world or cosmic ocean run, i'll have to get back to that some day

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Xander77 posted:

I've got 9000 hours in Team Fortress 2, and about 2000 of them are actual playtime. Still wouldn't recommend TF2 to anyone.

A friend of mine hunts rare achievements and we reinstalled it last fall to chase some down. Did the game always microstutter like a motherfucker, or was that added in the last 5 years? Game is unbearable now - we gave up after spending a few hours tweaking with settings trying to find servers that weren't garbage.

I have about 500 hours in the game and can't recommend the game at all now either.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

My last run I got all the way up to the Sunken City and an off-screen enemy broke the ghost jar and immediately summoned the ghost. Since I started at the bottom, to the far right, I had just enough time to register the warning when the ghost appeared and killed me. This was after several runs, in a row, where I got to the lava level of Tide Pool and got a dark seed where I couldn't find the Abzu exit (something I've since learned the dev has patched to prevent).

That was sometime last year. I'll admit, I was a bit upset.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

Darwinia owns but...I can't tell if anything's different about the remaster :kiddo:
The update page suggests that it's mostly technical overhauls for modern systems (new graphics engine, UI scaling at higher resolutions/high DPI displays etc.) and fixes for long-standing bugs in AI, level scripting, input etc.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Another thing: games get patched, and these patches aren't always improvements.

I put hundreds of hours into Civ V, but now that there's this new launcher-within-a-launcher that doesn't always work and asks your permission to sell your information, any review I'd leave would be a negative one.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Kins posted:

The update page suggests that it's mostly technical overhauls for modern systems (new graphics engine, UI scaling at higher resolutions/high DPI displays etc.) and fixes for long-standing bugs in AI, level scripting, input etc.

Fair enough.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Volte posted:

Sometimes games change for the worse after hundreds or thousands of hours. My top played game on Steam is still Team Fortress 2 despite not having really played it in 9 years and I wouldn't wish it on anyone in its current state.

I haven't played it in 10+ either, what did they do to it?

I didn't even really like it that much back then despite spending a few hundred hours on it, I was just trying to fill an Enemy-Territory shaped void in my heart.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The Kins posted:

I am just happy to know Introversion still exists.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
More people should try Necesse! It was recommended to me on some SA thread and I’ve had fun with it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1169040/Necesse/

It’s a bit like a top down Terraria in terms of the basic loop of exploration, crafting, fighting bosses, and slowly progressing through biomes. Multiplayer up to a whole bunch of people. However, it has built out the settler system to be much more involved with rimworld style UI. Unlike rimworld however, your settler’s needs are very easy to meet, so their role is mostly just to help you automate tasks. Eg right now I have a few chests I just dump all my loot into, and then my villagers automatically sort it into another set of chests and use it to craft adventuring supplies for me. Other villagers farm crops, manage livestock, and plant/cut trees to provide other basic resources. It’s a very nice twist on the usual formula I think, and all combines into a fun gameplay loop.

The world is divided up into a bunch (infinite maybe?) of map tiles you can go between, each of which is a biome (with a few layers). This means that each individual map isn’t that big, which is actually pretty nice for quickly navigating around. Some will be villages where you can go recruit more villagers to work for you in exchange for some resources. Different biomes have different bosses to beat, and give different ores etc which let you get tools that let you mine better ores etc etc.

It has been out in EA for two years and has probably ~25 hours of content if you’re pretty fast about it? I still haven’t beaten it. It’s received maybe ~350 reviews so far, all super positive, but I’m honestly surprised it hasn’t blown up more. It’s got quite a bit more going on than Corekeeper for example, but overall really has quite a similar gameplay loop. It might just be random or because its graphics are, in fairness, not super attractive. But I think it’s definitely worth checking out if you like any of the related games.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's worth remembering that even the granddaddy of "lol you played 2000 hours but left a negative review", the TrainSim review, was because they grandfathered the previous versions up into the new one, so it was likely a long time fan expressing displeasure over the most recent yearly version in specific.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's perfectly okay to play a game for 60 hours and even enjoy that time then suddenly realize that you're actually not having fun and quit and then write a critical opinion about the game.

I have 171 hours played in Skyrim and I even had fun during a lot of those hours. But there's nothing positive or glowing that I can say about that game, there's not a single thing I can point to that it did particularly well other than "have big world", and pretty much everything I can remember is at best "dull" in retrospect. I don't even remember any impressive mods (though I never played the two that got turned into full standalone games)

Just like any other media, I can point to games or movies or books that I do not think were "good" but I knew that they engaged me in a particular way that entertained me so I put the time into them anyway. That doesn't mean I'd say critically-positive things about them when asked, in fact I would be more likely to hone in on their flaws because they are the things keeping a wider audience from enjoying the thing.

e: Just look at VR :v: There's not a single VR game that would stand up against any of "the greats" or even "the goods" of traditional videogames because the technology just is not there yet, and there are people putting hundreds of hours into them anyway.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 18, 2022

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

shout out to one of my personal favorites on sale lowest price yet: fort triumph https://store.steampowered.com/app/612570/Fort_Triumph/ It's too short and I want a sequel.

approachable but challenging tactical fantasy combat with straightforward abilities and skill trees. It has my favorites: lots of push/pull enemies, vengeance, opportunist. Use them for combos!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Propaganda Hour posted:

A friend of mine hunts rare achievements and we reinstalled it last fall to chase some down. Did the game always microstutter like a motherfucker, or was that added in the last 5 years? Game is unbearable now - we gave up after spending a few hours tweaking with settings trying to find servers that weren't garbage.
Literally unplayable for me. Beyond everything else - balance changes, stutters, bugs - I just can't find any games, as the server browser was basically killed, while the simplified connection system doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

it's actually insane to spend 200 hours over two weeks doing sometihng you don't enjoy as a leisure activity.