Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Selachian posted:

Get Fuzzy 4/16/02

Awww, poor Bucky HOLY GOD THIS IS 20 YEARS OLD

I'M 20 YEARS OLDER THAN IT WAS WHEN IT ORIGINALLY RAN

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

"No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow." --Lt. Cdr. Susan Ivanova

Bizarro

The Family Circus

:raise: I'm almost certain there have been comics in which Jeffy has eaten chocolate. Keeping an eye out for it from now on.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Can I ask how? I came out to my mom in the mid 2000's (I kinda had to as my girlfriend sent me roses for Valentine's Day as a surprise) but there was a real fear of getting kicked out, and I was very worried about telling anyone I was a lesbian. FOOB has plenty of fuckups without us trying to make more.

I assume the "thin ice" is from where it's always been: that 15/16 year old Lawrence seems to have a 20-year old boyfriend. (Note: it has not yet been specified what Lawrence's relationship to the 20 year old)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Vargo posted:

I assume the "thin ice" is from where it's always been: that 15/16 year old Lawrence seems to have a 20-year old boyfriend. (Note: it has not yet been specified what Lawrence's relationship to the 20 year old)

Yeah pretty much. I don't know where it's going but there were some implications which weren't great.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
This Get Fuzzy storyline is kinda cute if only cuz it legit does make you feel bad for Bucky, despite him being a little rear end in a top hat. Though to be fair, he's a little rear end in a top hat who is not taken seriously so I don't mind him being a jerk. Either way, I second the "Aww Bucky.." sentiment.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ballard Street

I'm obviously biased but man, I love Ballard Street :allears:

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

BigglesSWE posted:

Ballard Street

Legit advice my dentist gave me

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

El Spamo posted:

Legit advice my dentist gave me

I've started just brushing my teeth as soon as the kids are in bed at 9-930. Discourages random snacking plus guards against saying, "eh screw it" at 2 am when I wake up sitting straight up on the couch.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Green Intern posted:

Yeah pretty much. I don't know where it's going but there were some implications which weren't great.

i tried digging through the archives but I couldn't find it, must be way later if at all. Lawrence ends up with a guy named Nick at the end of the strip either way.

and this is all Lynn says in the rerun commentary (which is sparse, and i just learned about today!)

ninja edit: ah.

guess we see him in a year

ninja edit 2: wtf lol the only other time this mf shows up is to show them break up and it takes like 2 years real time

https://fborfw.com/strip_fix/?s=ben&orderby=post_date&order=asc

riderchop fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 18, 2022

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

:raise: I'm almost certain there have been comics in which Jeffy has eaten chocolate. Keeping an eye out for it from now on.

Furiously updating Circuspedia

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Haifisch posted:

Computoon: Origins

Not today, satan.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Haifisch posted:

Johnny Hazard

Was Punch swapped for a duplicate in some strip I missed? Why does the evil guardian guy keep putting quotes around her name?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

The_Other posted:

Solver Spring Special

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics
drat that's a big box of tea.
  1. Funny the first strip sort of foreshadows the future successful "Yes, We Can" campaign slogan of Obama.
  2. I laughed at the Catwoman gag.

Huxley posted:

Not today, satan.
:lol:

F Minus

It's true. It's all true.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Does Ian beat Toby? That seems like an important story they're not covering.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

lol

Apartment 3-G

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Mister Sun

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's only a 240 box. It only get unwieldy when you buy the 480-600 packs that come in sacks.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

riderchop posted:

guess we see him in a year

I'm not sure what would happen if a high school student showed up at their prom with a college student as their date but I sort of feel like it wouldn't be "nothing."

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

Oh okay, yes, so the solution was something that was literally never in the strip whatsoever. We never saw the question Encyclopedia asked, so there's no way to know he didn't say "Scoops' typewriter was stolen from his basement, do you know anything?"

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oh boy this got really lovely because it comes way too close to a parallel of a trans person getting discovered by their partner and their partner getting angry over it.

And I know that would probably be a stretch in any other comic and just reading too much into it but this is Holbrook who uses predator'prey relationships as a metaphor for interracial marriage, so even if that's not what he intends, it's his own goddamn stupid fault for using situations like this as parallels to real world bigotry in the first place.

Considering how much he loves species as race/lbgt metaphors it really makes this one similar to the "if you don't come out to your parents it would be lying and bad" moment from the current FOOB arc, treating someone as in the wrong for being hesitant to come out to someone they know it would be unsafe to come out to.

In this case too it's entirely because the snake is a designated "antagonistic" character. His role is to be a Mildly Bad character to be foil to the protagonist crew adjacent mouse, so anything that he does or happen to him is either his fault or not a big deal because he is not a chosen Good character.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

Alvin: "You know, maybe if our names had been said in the comic, even once, revealing the name of Theodore in code might have been more impressive."

Simon: "Yeah, you asked us the same questions, twice."

Theodore: "Honestly, I didn't memorize my cipher. Why would you think I'd recognize my own name in it? I slipped in that detail about the basement because you were taking so drat long."

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Bruceski posted:

Was Punch swapped for a duplicate in some strip I missed? Why does the evil guardian guy keep putting quotes around her name?
They're slightly inconsistent in using the quotes, but they have been doing it from the start of the arc:

My best guess is it's the old timey comic way of indicating it's a nickname, but :shrug:

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

it's POZOLE you son of abitch

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Being a law upon himself and being a man of vengeance is exactly what every Phantom is.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Haifisch posted:

They're slightly inconsistent in using the quotes, but they have been doing it from the start of the arc:

My best guess is it's the old timey comic way of indicating it's a nickname, but :shrug:

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oh okay, yes, so the solution was something that was literally never in the strip whatsoever.

What has Slylock Fox been up to recently?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

goatface posted:

It's only a 240 box. It only get unwieldy when you buy the 480-600 packs that come in sacks.

Though there is the fabled 1150 bag pack as well.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Samovar posted:

Why the gently caress is this so funny?

It almost feels like a dirty trick, getting you to laugh at the first New Yorker cartoonist.

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

Should we be worried that the weird rectangles we used to run the Photoshop equalizer filters to pull out are hanging out in plain sight now?

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (July 18, 1934)

Peanuts (April 21, 1975)

Funky WinkaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

A high school student running into an old man she doesn't know who wants to hook her up with a boy I assume she's only vaguely aware of? What could possibly go wrong.

(I'm still assuming this is a hallucination brought on by the residual fumes in the helmet from Donna's 80s-vintage hair gel.)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 17, 1938)

Out Our Way (August 11-13, 1938)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 18, 2022

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

spookygonk posted:

My local grocery store stopped carrying PG Tips; I've had to resort to the little 40-count boxes on Amazon.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

oh no motherfucker you arent summarizing this shitshow again

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Funky WinkaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

A high school student running into an old man she doesn't know who wants to hook her up with a boy I assume she's only vaguely aware of? What could possibly go wrong.

(I'm still assuming this is a hallucination brought on by the residual fumes in the helmet from Donna's 80s-vintage hair gel.)

No worries: it looks as though the Westview version of Barney Fife is heading over to finally arrest the creep.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 18, 2022

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

spookygonk posted:

It features a monkey pulling down its pants?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Powered Descent posted:

My local grocery store stopped carrying PG Tips; I've had to resort to the little 40-count boxes on Amazon.

Just as well. Barry's is the superior cuppa.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Night Visitors

(Chaplin's birthday)

Monya the Grey

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "162 - Jucika Receives Compensation"

"163 - Jucika's Fashionable Skirt"

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The Continued Adventures of Murder As An Institutionalized Sport

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "162 - Jucika Receives Compensation"

"163 - Jucika's Fashionable Skirt"

everything in this thread post-1950 is poo poo except for calvin and hobbes and jucika. both of those are charming and sweet.

e: i guess i like ballard street too

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 19, 2022

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

everything in this thread post-1950 is poo poo except for calvin and hobbes and jucika. both of those are charming and sweet.

i will not hear this q-rais slander

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
You know, does anyone else just read Pooch Cafe and hear Daria's dad screaming, Why don't they just put Marmaduke to sleep!?!?

Bucky is an rear end in a top hat cat but we see him, once in a while, like Calvin, be sweet. Is Poncho ever, to his humans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

lol