Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Couldn't find the new episode the other day on youtube, but it randomly showed up last night, so if you're in the US and haven't seen it yet, look at the ozmartian channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Not sure why there's a thought that HBO would edit it to hell and back. I don't think I've watched an HBO reality series, but they've had a pretty well-earned rep for doing right by comedy from the Home Box Office days. Having watched a couple of their reality competitions, I also think that Apple TV would be a good home. I find that both Netflix and Amazon can be as bad as the networks when it comes to overproduction and to building up fake tension across (absent) commercial breaks.

I think the hardest part would be balancing the generally light and family friendly tone while still being "sharp" enough to allow for a stray f-bomb or double entendre. Once you open the door to "gently caress" on American television, the whole tone of your show tends to shift. Not really fleshed out in my mind, but it's hard for me to picture an American platform that could have Sophie's rap battle (with duck audience) sitting against her lipstick challenge with any sense of tonal consistency.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

NowonSA posted:

-Ben Schwartz in the Alex Horne/assistant to the taskmaster who's around to supervise the various tasks.

Even putting aside the functional role of the assistant/producer: I think he'd be a pretty awful assistant because he's far too foreground a personality. The assistant needs to be someone who enables the contestants and at most acts as a foil for them, but will never remotely come close to taking the spotlight off them. The assistant has to not have a hosting type of persona.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Pablo Bluth posted:

A Canadian TM has just been announced. Or should I say, a Quebecois TM has been announced.

https://www.lapresse.ca/arts/television/2022-04-12/le-maitre-du-jeu/un-nouveau-jeu-tele-anime-par-louis-morissette.php

Taskmaster with Quebec humour would sure be... well, something anyway. No idea if it would work or not.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Katherine Ryan is fine, but there's a touch of snobbery there that puts me off, similar to Natasha Leggero (she's okay on that new cooking show but her last sitcom was poo poo).

Her "make a mess and completely clean it up" and "buy a gift for the taskmaster" performances puts her in GOAT tier for me.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

itry posted:

Hmm... Based on past adaptations I assumed the US version will be terrible, but this isn't bad. For a pilot.
The second episode is weaker than the first. It's clear why they went with the Richard Kind one for debut.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Bridget Christie's interview is out. She was the only person I kinda knew going into this season, but she doesn't really seem like she's got the stuff to win. Very unconfident, not great with instructions.

My first thought of her outfit was that she was dressing up Amish, but she's got a holster in there, so I guess it's some kind of cowboy thing?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's kind of funny that Taskmaster US was one of the first offshoots, and also probably took the most stylistic divergence from the original show. Every adaption I've seen since seems to be 100% true to the design of the original show, in both relationship of TM and Assistant and literal wallpapers.

Hard agree that there's an incredible pool of people in LA (Comedy Bang Bang and College Humor's troupe come to mind), but have to figure at this point there's some weird rights thing going on. Like Comedy Central maybe still has exclusive rights or something.

SlothfulCobra posted:

My first thought of her outfit was that she was dressing up Amish, but she's got a holster in there, so I guess it's some kind of cowboy thing?

There was this fashion trend in the mid 2010's of hipsters wearing wide brimmed black hats. I... think her outfit is more cowboy themed, but I've always unfairly judged people in those because of the trend.

She seems like a delightful goofball so far with absolutely no chance of winning.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 18, 2022

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Bridget Christie's interview is out. She was the only person I kinda knew going into this season, but she doesn't really seem like she's got the stuff to win. Very unconfident, not great with instructions.

Pretty sure it's supposed to be Lee Van Cleef's character from For a Few Dollars More.

It felt like Alex was genuinely annoyed with her inability to follow instructions, and I wonder if it was the last interview they filmed after a long day.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Oh that's definitely it. Odd, but respectable choice.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

The World Inferno posted:

Hard agree that there's an incredible pool of people in LA (Comedy Bang Bang and College Humor's troupe come to mind), but have to figure at this point there's some weird rights thing going on. Like Comedy Central maybe still has exclusive rights or something.

College Humor would probably absolutely nail it but WAAAAAYYY too niche for a property that's been on mainstream TV everywhere else. Maybe in 2016 when they were doing their TV experiments that would have made sense.

(but I would def give anything to see Brennan Lee Mulligan on a season of Taskmaster).

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

enki42 posted:

College Humor would probably absolutely nail it but WAAAAAYYY too niche for a property that's been on mainstream TV everywhere else. Maybe in 2016 when they were doing their TV experiments that would have made sense.

(but I would def give anything to see Brennan Lee Mulligan on a season of Taskmaster).

Oh not like an entirely CH cast one. But like, throw Grant O'Brien (or really any of them) into a cast of 4 other people and they're gonna shine.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ayo edebiri is basically a dream US taskmaster guest imo, based on her podcast performances

really there's more than enough people for infinite seasons of a US taskmaster solely within the LA improv/standup/podcast scene

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

enki42 posted:

He would try to break every single task.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

When’s the last time someone really tried to cheat at a task? Full on hiding it I mean, Tim Key and Dave Gorman style.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

enki42 posted:

This is a tricky thing about American comedy really, there are a lot of people who are like, known, but not known enough to be on TV. Taskmaster UK does include a few lesser known comedians now but it's telling that the early series were almost all panel show regulars, they knew they weren't going to get anywhere with a cast full of people the audience had never heard of. In American comedy you kind of have the problem of people are either "YouTube famous" or "Movie famous", where the former is too small to draw in a wide audience to a brand new TV show, while the latter is just too big to do the show in general (the same reason why the UK show is never going to have like, Simon Pegg on it).

Honestly I feel like YouTube probably would actually be the natural home for an American version of Taskmaster, but yeah it's probably a thing where even the bigger channels would not be able to get the official license so they'd just have to do their own ripoff version.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Even putting aside the functional role of the assistant/producer: I think he'd be a pretty awful assistant because he's far too foreground a personality. The assistant needs to be someone who enables the contestants and at most acts as a foil for them, but will never remotely come close to taking the spotlight off them. The assistant has to not have a hosting type of persona.

Benny Schwa was also the only part of that list I didn't agree with. I offer Nathan Fielder as replacement. Despite hosting experience, the character he plays is not a domineering hosting persona and has the right balance of qualities to be the Alex.
This clip he almost breaks character being so understandably shocked, but the way he rebounds and responds to the absurd reality presented before him would work with the administering of tasks, as well as ready to roll with weird, in an understated manner.
https://www.youtube.com/6vbCKava_JE

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think she's going for a calculated destruction of the task, not an inability to follow instructions. I love the "Retina!" at the end. She got the step count nearly correct, but basically did so by wearing Alex down mentally and physically. It was brilliant.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

enki42 posted:

Game Changer scratches a lot of the same itch as Taskmaster, with some clunkers but also allowing for more creative freedom than Taskmaster allows.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Game Changer scratches a lot of the same itch as Taskmaster, with some clunkers but also allowing for more creative freedom than Taskmaster allows.

I think Sam(?) could carry the assistant/producer role as well.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

drunken officeparty posted:

When’s the last time someone really tried to cheat at a task? Full on hiding it I mean, Tim Key and Dave Gorman style.

Mawaan in Series 10 was a Sneaky Pasta Snake - he realised in the "Fit Spaghetti in the Grapefruit" task that Alex would not be weighing the fruit, but be weighing the pasta left over, and sneakily removed a lot of it from the task area.

He just neglected to dispose of it properly, and they found a lot of spaghetti in the bin later.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Joel McHale, Gillian Jacobs, Yvette Nicole Brown, Ken Jeong, Danny Pudi (just can't imagine Donald Glover or John Oliver showing up but they'd be great too)

...so basically a "Community" season 7, with a theme revolving around one of them going crazy and making others do crazier and crazier tasks and random stuff? :)

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Ken Jeong and Joel McHale have a fair deal of variety show experience.

Even then, the vibe wouldn't be the same unless you got Dan Harmon to write the tasks.

But McHale has the ego and Jeong can play straight, seems smart enough to understand task administration, would probably die laughing after the scene is wrapped. Those two would be interesting to watch, they're apparently good friends and have wonderful comedic chemistry.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

drunken officeparty posted:

Sian putting balls in the net after the whistle was particularly egregious.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Give me Will Arnett as taskmaster with a weird Nathan Fielder as assistant.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

the best chance for a us taskmaster would probably be built around twitch stars honestly. they're already all friends and comfortable with one another and they're the right level of famous to subject themselves to embarassment and humiliation for basically no reward

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

the talent deficit posted:

the best chance for a us taskmaster would probably be built around twitch stars honestly. they're already all friends and comfortable with one another and they're the right level of famous to subject themselves to embarassment and humiliation for basically no reward

same problem as college humour - it could work well but no distributors big enough to afford the license will want to take a chance on twitch streamers. Also comedians are probably a more natural fit, a lot of what makes Taskmaster work is the contestants / taskmaster / producer being funny in the in-studio segments.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I mean again this is why you don't pull people from just one collective. Have a cast that's one college humor person, one twitch star, one la comedian, one tiktok star, etc. etc.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That's one of the strengths of the original show. Drawing people from separate performing fields, but also putting them through competition where they use skills often totally unrelated to what they do normally in their jobs. Kinda like how the Muppet Show often was back in the day.

And half the time when they actually turn out to have related skills, that may actually harm their performance.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I couldn’t name a twitch personality for a million bucks

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Grant O'Brien would be a great Assistant. He has no shame so the contestants could rope him into doing the weirdest poo poo, he's an excellent improviser and can write very strange improv prompts.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Beerdeer posted:

Limmy is a twitch personality now

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Beerdeer posted:

I could, but not ones who would be good for television or vibe well with a random selection of other tier celebs, or even be that entertaining outside of the mild level required for their chosen game and audience. Twitch people especially lean into the weird parasocial stuff. Things're different when you know someone for being a media actor, character, or comedian, than when they're just some marginally entertaining person who can adequately provide background noise for hours at a time while playing videogames with comments and chat interaction.

That said, TM itself as a game format could be applied to Twitch cliques, wouldn't make for good TaskMaster TV but would definitely be a better entertainment effort for Twitch.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Grant O'Brien would be a great Assistant. He has no shame so the contestants could rope him into doing the weirdest poo poo, he's an excellent improviser and can write very strange improv prompts.

random twitch personalities are objectively more famous than anyone in the CH crew, i pay them to watch their content but unless some American taskmaster was insanely low budget no one would ever consider them

but if Sam made a show legally distinct from Taskmaster but with a similar concept, it would be good

eke out fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 19, 2022

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Beerdeer posted:

:same:

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

The_Doctor posted:

Sian putting balls in the net after the whistle was particularly egregious.

And in the same series, Lou pretending she didn't drop a book out of the hammock...

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

LesterGroans posted:

Tim Baltz would be a great assistant. More in a Paul Williams style than Alex Horne.

Just slot Lily Sullivan in as a pint-sized taskmaster and we could have an IRL partnership. She's hilarious on CBB (and as Baltz's sister on The Righteous Gemstones)

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

https://twitter.com/taskmaster/status/1517082603744022528

Eh, bring back Alex Horne, Bonus Fact Finder.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Pablo Bluth posted:

The second episode is weaker than the first. It's clear why they went with the Richard Kind one for debut.

Not unexpected I guess.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

exmarx posted:

sophie duker rules

not emptyquoting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
This cast is awesome. They are all going for it full bore.