Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

This (short) week is gonna be some poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Do you have low T?

Was about to have a coronary at my T before seeing the new WB shares.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
KLDO is up 150% today. They are delisting and ceasing operations in 15 days. What

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Limited time offer buy now before it's gone forever

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

cirus posted:

KLDO is up 150% today. They are delisting and ceasing operations in 15 days. What

Hmm. I suppose if you wind up and dissolve outside of bankruptcy and all your debts are paid, there will be some kind of residual there for the equity holders. But a quick glance at the balance sheet says it definitely won't be the 45c the shares are currently trading for.

Probably just pump crews pushing it around to smack shorts. There's no borrow available right now that I'm seeing.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Hell hath no scorn like what I have for Elon Musk, I absolutely loathe the man

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/14/elo...te-company.html

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Woodchip posted:

Do you have low T?

More of a topic for The Goon Doctor i think

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

orange sky posted:

Hell hath no scorn like what I have for Elon Musk, I absolutely loathe the man

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/14/elo...te-company.html

:same:

Is this what we’ve come to? The richest people in the world buying whatever they want so they can allow either themselves or whoever they want to say whatever they want without repercussions?

E: I mean, the trump presidency was essentially that, but at least he was (eventually, after much outrage) wrangled by social media. This just sounds like he wants to remove whatever minimal restraints Twitter has in place for vile speech.

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 14, 2022

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Cacafuego posted:

Is this what we’ve come to? The richest people in the world buying whatever they want so they can allow either themselves or whoever they want to say whatever they want without repercussions?

What we’ve come to? It’s always been this way, friend.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you think a billionaire buying a media company is at all strange you should go watch "the newsroom" immediately, this is a major subplot. Buying a media company is like bullet point number three or four of "how to continue being one of the wealthiest people in the world".

Bezos, our slightly less successful space overlord, bought the Washington Post about ten years ago and changed their slogan to "democracy dies in darkness"

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Cacafuego posted:

E: I mean, the trump presidency was essentially that, but at least he was (eventually, after much outrage) wrangled by social media. This just sounds like he wants to remove whatever minimal restraints Twitter has in place for vile speech.

It always has been. But this generation seems to lack SOME of the shame of previous generations of ultra wealthy. Or we have more visibility to it. Not sure how much of both but the rich being colossal shitheads is not a recent invention

https://twitter.com/DougBenson/status/1514615050052415492?t=mf-khpnCHbuEgCabRwQ9bQ&s=19

Tbt :toot:

Keep in mind tbt is the daily inverse so buying today might not be the best idea in the world. You might get a better price tomorrow.

Oscar Wild fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 14, 2022

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Hadlock posted:

If you think a billionaire buying a media company is at all strange you should go watch "the newsroom" immediately, this is a major subplot.

You can go back much farther, to literally Citizen Kane.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh yeah you can go back further than that, the main character in that move is based off William Randolph Hearst, which is a Wikipedia article worth reading. For West Coast goons yes that's the same Hearst as The Hearst Building in SF and further south Hearst Castle

Most first skyscrapers were newspaper buildings; times square is named after, you guessed it. World Series is named after? Media companies are Big Chess Pieces to buy and own, and have been since the very beginning. "Freedom of the Press" literally means to own and operate a printing press without having to buy and maintain a license from the government, because even from the very beginning government knew how powerful media was, and wanted to limit and control it

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
LOL the media is owned by like 6 wealthy sex criminals and social media is going to be owned by two dipshit freaks who are angling toward bringing back company towns and chatel slavery.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1514663203296493572

:chaostrump:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

What's to stop him from just consistently accumulating shares and eventually becoming majority owner?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Red posted:

What's to stop him from just consistently accumulating shares and eventually becoming majority owner?

...a poison pill.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
It would own if Elon leveraged himself to buy twitter, take it private and then everyone leaves it. Won't happen but a girl can dream

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Red posted:

As it stands the company charter won't let anyone own more than 9.2% or something like that.

So he'd have to get a majority of shareholders to agree to let him go past 9.2% to buy a controlling stake (50.1%)

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Nat gas still going nuts. Go sjt go.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Alright you all told me not to do it, so I did it. I got a HELOC. Just in time for a little market dip too.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

are you taking out a loan to gamble? This seems like a bad idea.

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

:yum:

The Fattest PI posted:

Alright you all told me not to do it, so I did it. I got a HELOC. Just in time for a little market dip too.

Oh boy, time to go to cash and wait it out.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Haha ok well it was something I brought up like 20 pages ago and everyone was like "don't be a moron" and I took it as good advice, but I still needed a HELOC regardless. I probably won't use it for investing because that's terrifying but functionally what's the difference between not paying off my mortgage with extra payments and instead putting the money to investments that beat my interest rate, vs already having my house paid off and using it for investments that would normally beat the interest rate.

Also loans for the purpose of investment have write-offable interest I've heard and I have no idea how to do that good god i'm stupid.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Elon I finally buy TSLA and this is how you repay me? I demand $1669 share price. I will protest your Ted talk until you fix the price.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Apr 15, 2022

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Agronox posted:

...a poison pill.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/15/twitter-board-adopts-poison-pill-after-musks-43-billion-offer-to-buy-company.html

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

:yum:

The Fattest PI posted:

but functionally what's the difference between not paying off my mortgage with extra payments and instead putting the money to investments that beat my interest rate, vs already having my house paid off and using it for investments that would normally beat the interest rate.

Beat the interest rate is doing a lot of work here.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

it was way simpler to handle capital gains on uvxy options and futures than I thought it would be. basically just entering a few numbers into a different section of turbotax.

anyone run into a complicated tax situation from their trading last year?

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Some of the Direxions ETFs still don’t report cost basis, what a pain to find.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Paid over 300 in foreign tax for the first time so I did form 1116 but it wasn't that bad

Jows
May 8, 2002

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Paid over 300 in foreign tax for the first time so I did form 1116 but it wasn't that bad

What triggered needing to do that?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

quote:

Dear Vanguard Client,

Beginning April 28, 2022, Vanguard will no longer accept purchases and transfers in of most over-the-counter (OTC) securities. This change allows us to better support a targeted, enduring suite of products and services rooted in Vanguard's time-tested investment philosophy and built to help secure the long-term success of investors.

According to our records, you either currently hold at least one of these restricted securities in your portfolio or have traded them in the past.

What does this mean for the securities I hold?

You can continue to hold and sell your positions in these securities. You can also make additional purchases of a small selection of global American Depositary Receipts (ADRs). Here's how you can determine if you hold an ADR that won't be restricted.

All three of the following criteria must apply to the ADR:

Consists of a five-letter ticker symbol that ends in "Y." This confirms it's traded OTC.
Has a market capitalization of over $300 million (in U.S. dollars). Market capitalization is the total market value of a company's outstanding shares.
Belongs to the top three tiers of the OTC markets (Pink Current, OTCQB, and OTCQX). These markets are up to date with disclosures and listing requirements.
Learn more about the OTC markets and individual securities at otcmarkets.com.

Thank you for investing with Vanguard.

That's annoying.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Jows posted:

What triggered needing to do that?

You don't have to. At least i don't think its required. Its just foreign tax credit, if you paid over 300

I have some mutual funds where the foreign tax added up

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 18, 2022

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Red posted:

That's annoying.

NDRA taking a hit? :v:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SoFi hit $7 today :slick:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hadlock posted:

SoFi hit $7 today :slick:

BACK THAT TRUCK UP BUDDY

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

nwin posted:

BACK THAT TRUCK UP BUDDY

Naw, wasn’t book value like under $6? It’s gonna keep dropping, you’ll get a better entry point eventually.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah book value is like $5.50/share. I'm picking up 10-20 shares occasionally but it still has further to drop

If SoFi hits $5.50/share would that indicate tech stocks have hit the bottom? Or just that investors are signaling that there's no profit to be made in this market segment

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Yeah book value is like $5.50/share. I'm picking up 10-20 shares occasionally but it still has further to drop

If SoFi hits $5.50/share would that indicate tech stocks have hit the bottom? Or just that investors are signaling that there's no profit to be made in this market segment

why do you continue to do this to yourself

do you even know the difference between sofi's reported book value and its tangible book value? do you really think it can be liquidated for reported book price if need be?

in their last annual report, they have $900m in "goodwill" and $410m in intangible assets. those are all worthless if you're looking for a floor in value. see "note 3" in their latest 10-K:
https://d18rn0p25nwr6d.cloudfront.net/CIK-0001818874/2533ab52-232a-47de-869b-8d771622cdee.pdf

this thread runs its meme stocks into the ground. sofi's only bull case is that a much bigger financial firm buys it out to get their customer list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

pmchem posted:

why do you continue to do this to yourself

do you even know the difference between sofi's reported book value and its tangible book value? do you really think it can be liquidated for reported book price if need be?

in their last annual report, they have $900m in "goodwill" and $410m in intangible assets. those are all worthless if you're looking for a floor in value. see "note 3" in their latest 10-K:
https://d18rn0p25nwr6d.cloudfront.net/CIK-0001818874/2533ab52-232a-47de-869b-8d771622cdee.pdf

this thread runs its meme stocks into the ground. sofi's only bull case is that a much bigger financial firm buys it out to get their customer list.

pmchem's original sofi post convinced me to sell for a profit instead of holding through massive losses a month later

listen to pmchem