Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

djfooboo posted:

IRT ColorBlindness and accessibility, I was very saddened when meeplelikeus went on hiatus. Their near academic deconstruction on accessibility was my kind of inside baseball as someone with lifelong color blindness frustrations.

They were/are really great. Here's an example for the unfamiliar. Their reviews include checks for physical dexterity, communication, cognition, emotion, and even checks for levels of representation and even the accessibility of price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion is great solo (two-handed recommended). OG is good too but JotL is a much tighter experience.

Also not mentioned yet (I think)
- Aeon’s End (any set will work, but Legacy/Legacy of Gravehold have ramping legacy campaigns that provide a gentler introduction and interesting mechanics, and New Age/outcast introduce a four-boss randomized campaign mode.

- Arkham Horror LCG / Lord of the Rings LCG / Marvel Champions

- Under Falling Skies

-Nemo’s War

- Comancheria / Navajo Wars

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

djfooboo posted:

IRT ColorBlindness and accessibility, I was very saddened when meeplelikeus went on hiatus. Their near academic deconstruction on accessibility was my kind of inside baseball as someone with lifelong color blindness frustrations.

I was actually in Mike's gaming group when he was doing MLU and got to see the process first hand - which isn't saying much as he mostly just took a few photos for analysis while it was someone else's turn. Unfortunately he moved to Sweden (IIRC) for a new academic post and doesn't have as much time any more. He does plan to come back to it if things ever get easier, though.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Magnetic North posted:

They were/are really great. Here's an example for the unfamiliar. Their reviews include checks for physical dexterity, communication, cognition, emotion, and even checks for levels of representation and even the accessibility of price.

MLU was very cool, and made me more concious the of design choices in various games that seemed arbitrary at the time but in retrospect were for greater inclusivity.

Its also worth keeping in mind a low rating from MLU was not an indictment against a game. Every dexterity game, every giant ameritrash box, every complex wargame, every social deduction game were inherently opposed to some aspect of inclusivity and no change to the game could improve the score without changing the nature of the game itself.

We only have one significant disability in our usual group, so we just don't play dexterity games when he's over. Terror in Meeple City, the various stacking games, even a number of games with many densely arranged small pieces; great games simply incompatible with neuropathy.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Radioactive Toy posted:

Pandemic Legacy S0 is earmarked to be played with some friends.

have you played seasons 1-2 already? I don't remember specifics but order of release made story beats in 2/0 much stronger.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
I appreciate everyone's responses about solo gaming! Looks like I have a decent amount of research to do today on all of these suggestions.

Fate Accomplice posted:

have you played seasons 1-2 already? I don't remember specifics but order of release made story beats in 2/0 much stronger.

We played through 1, but we never finished 2 due to a player flaking out 1/2 or 3/4 of the way through the campaign.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Radioactive Toy posted:

Due to a few medical conditions that popped up recently, I both am not working all that much and also cannot play any video games. I have never been a solo board gamer in the past, but I'm finally tempted to try out solo board gaming. So far I have played a bit of Mage Knight (still great) and did the solo mode of Pax Pamir 2nd Edition which I thought was decently well done. Both of these were a nice excuse to bust out some games in my collection that I haven't gotten to the table in years. So now I'm wondering, what are people's favorite solo games or official/unofficial solo modes for games?

I asked the thread similar a few months ago, if you sort by my posts with the little question mark, you can see some answers then too.

If you are willing to get into more wargame type stuff, there is a lot well-regarded solo games in that genre. Every solo game I have personal experience with was already suggested, but something like https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/159692/comancheria-rise-and-fall-comanche-empire I don't think I put up as i was skimming

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Slyphic posted:

Its also worth keeping in mind a low rating from MLU was not an indictment against a game. Every dexterity game, every giant ameritrash box, every complex wargame, every social deduction game were inherently opposed to some aspect of inclusivity and no change to the game could improve the score without changing the nature of the game itself.

I think that is what bothers me so much about colorblind inaccessibility. If you want tell me that Game X can't be played by a visually impaired person, a bilateral arm amputee or someone suffering from severe autism, I would immediately understand because I can easily imagine situations where a game could not be adjusted to accommodate them. (This is not to start some sort of pissing contest of "who has it worse" or whatever.) We already accept that board games are for everyone but not every game is for every person, so perhaps some games will unavoidably inaccessible to some. Or at least, they would require the individual owner to make some sort of adjustment, such as braille sleeves or card holders. Some businesses, such as 64 Oz Games, even exist to try and serve these needs, though you can see that kits exist for only the most popular games and are quite expensive. Mostly it will rely on each gamer group's ingenuity.

With colorblindness, I cannot imagine a situation where a person suffering from colorblindness is required to be excluded. If we have to distinguish by color, can we not also distinguish by something else? The closest thing I can think of would be a bag-building game like Automobiles where the cubes need to be tactilely uniform when they go into the bag so you can't sense what is different. That game has ten colors of cubes, so already that is going to be hard to make a complete pallete out of already. However, there is no reason they have to be cubes. Quacks of Quedlinburg instead uses cardboard tokens that have uniform shape. The advantage is they have art to make them more distinct rather than just relying on color. That would appear to be a more accessible way to present the same exact game.

edit: Not that Quacks has no colorblindness problems: MLU Teardown here which I missed when I first posted.

I have seen references to a few games that use Anaglyph 3D (which is the red-and-blue 3d glasses worn by the guy from Zombies Ate My Neighbors because he's so 90s cool) for some weird gimmicks, but I can't remember any specific ones. Most of us have probably seen same tech is used to hide the words in blobs of red in many old board games, like scanning the infection cards in Nemesis, though I do not know how those appear to those with different levels of visual acuity.

Even if we can find a counter-example, it will necessarily have to be so elaborately contrived that it will essentially prove the point that the games industry can do better.

Magnetic North fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 17, 2022

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Radioactive Toy posted:

I appreciate everyone's responses about solo gaming! Looks like I have a decent amount of research to do today on all of these suggestions.

We played through 1, but we never finished 2 due to a player flaking out 1/2 or 3/4 of the way through the campaign.

pay attention to my recommendations i will teach you how to slay monsters while the rest of this thread are mostly simps for cubepushing grain collecting games

good luck with your journey. i like taking a little kratom and doing solo gaming with some dungeon synth on. very atmospheric and fun

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm enjoying Gaia Project's solo framework but it's just a simulacrum ai of a second player so while I can tune my skills it does feel a little hollow. Still recommend though if you like that sort of game.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Magnetic North posted:

Anaglyph 3D (which is the red-and-blue 3d glasses worn by the guy from Zombies Ate My Neighbors because he's so 90s cool) for some weird gimmicks, but I can't remember any specific ones. Most of us have probably seen same tech is used to hide the words in blobs of red in many old board games, like scanning the infection cards in Nemesis, though I do not know how those appear to those wi

Decrypto, got it, played it a fair number of times. It suffers from both sides needing to be silent, just subdues the mood in the way games with only a silent portion of players don't. I like my game nights raucous and shouty. Codenames or Cptn Sonar do it better.

The anaglyphic effect is novel, but not a core necessity.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
The thing that blows my mind about the lack of colourblindness accessibility in the hobby is that given the average gaming group is predominantly men, and men have by far the majority of colourblindness in the population, something like a third of gaming groups have someone who suffers from some form of colour blindness in them!

This is a huge market share people, what are you doing?!?!?

I think it's important just to be inclusive but even if you are just 100% focused on the money there is probably a significant chunk of change riding on it. I suspect publishers can in part get away with it because big reviewers don't mention it either way, but if SU&SD and the dice tower made a point of mentioning accessibility issues you'd see the Pu sihers scrambling

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

I came in here tonight to ask about solo games, but I see I was very recently beaten to that punch and already have a bunch of helpful posts.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Would you guys recommend the 7 Wonders Duel expansions?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Siivola posted:

If you are bored with strategic horizons, yes. Otherwise it’s an easy pass to buy another small box game.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Siivola posted:

I like them fine (I slightly prefer Agora over Pantheon), but hardly ever play with them. They turn Duel into something where if I'm going to spend that much time and brainpower I'm probably going to play something else.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

What's the biggest, most game-affecting rule misread/fumble that you've done?

The first time I played Lost Ruins of Arnak, the assumption was that you need to pay the exploration compass cost for level 1 and 2 locations every time you visit them, even after they've already been revealed. Made reaching the top of the research track seem like a pretty much insurmountable task. Interestingly this happened while playing on Board Game Arena, and I genuinely thought I saw the game deduct 3 compasses from me when going to an already-revealed site despite that very evidently not being the case!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hempuli posted:

You can't trade Action Cards in Twilight Imperium, unless you're Hacan.
You also can't trade multiple Promissory Notes in a single transaction

This affected several battles and transactions during the game on the weekend. Didn't realise we had hosed up until we were chatting about it yesterday.

Durp :v:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Hempuli posted:

This wasn't my misread but years ago I was playing Alchemist with some college friends (notably, Alchemist, not Alchemists, the CGE game although I own both and it's not confusing at all) and there's a rule in that game that when you copy someone's potion recipe, you pay one ingredient from the recipe to the player who invented it, and the rest to the bank. Somehow, I have no idea how, my friend only heard the "pay one to the inventor" part and somehow thought that the cost of a potion was exactly one ingredient from the recipe paid to the player and nothing else. We weren't watching him that closely and just noticed halfway through the game that he was just ahead by a fuckload and were like "what the hell did you do?" followed by figuring out the mistake and wondering exactly how you can gently caress up a rule that obviously badly.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Pampas but we didn't realize both sides of the connections pay. It was a game with very little money.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Hempuli posted:

What's the biggest, most game-affecting rule misread/fumble that you've

Not doing the turn zero spirit Island bad things happen phase for 2 games. Was wondering why it was so easy…

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The worst we've ever done is rushing through the setup for Lords of Waterdeep and missing that the number of action markers was based on player count, so we played a 5 player game with everyone having way too many action tokens.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

djfooboo posted:

If you are bored with strategic horizons, yes. Otherwise it’s an easy pass to buy another small box game.

Resident Idiot posted:

I like them fine (I slightly prefer Agora over Pantheon), but hardly ever play with them. They turn Duel into something where if I'm going to spend that much time and brainpower I'm probably going to play something else.
So extra complexity and maybe not enough payoff? Good to know, thanks! We're still figuring out the good plays for the base game so I'll pass on those for now.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 18, 2022

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Hempuli posted:

The first time I played Lost Ruins of Arnak, the assumption was that you need to pay the exploration compass cost for level 1 and 2 locations every time you visit them, even after they've already been revealed. Made reaching the top of the research track seem like a pretty much insurmountable task. Interestingly this happened while playing on Board Game Arena, and I genuinely thought I saw the game deduct 3 compasses from me when going to an already-revealed site despite that very evidently not being the case!

The second time I played Goa it fell to me to teach; I'm not entirely sure how that happened because I only vaguely remembered it from my first game. I skimmed the rules and completely missed that when you win an auction you pay the player who put the thing up for sale instead of the bank. "The taxes action seems really strong, how can you even play without upgrading it first thing?"

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Hempuli posted:

not really a misread per se but I have to give it up for the classic “loving up the loyalty deck” mishap in battlestar galactica. the guy who accidentally ended up being the only cylon in a 5-player game was suprisingly chill about it, but still—not ideal.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Hempuli posted:

I once played a game of Cluedo where our host forgot to put any cards in the envelope. We played BSG where someone didn't put cylons in the loyalty deck. We still to this day refer to loving a loyalty deck etc as Cluedo despite it being 15 years+ ago.

We played Dominant Species, I want to say half a dozen times but maybe less, before someone did a rules audit and released that player order was reverse food chain order on the first turn. We just thought Monkeys were really really good.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I once had someone make the loyalty deck the other way with 4 cylons and 6 human in 5 player. We figured it out when someone did a good reveal after the midpoint and gave me a cylon card. Then the person after them also revealed, and also gave me a cylon card.

Everyone wanted me on their robot team :psylon::hf::unsmith:

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Played a bit of 1860 with my wife, refresher game since I hadn't played in like a year. Game played well, pleased with how quickly we were able to handle everything but two veterans can really chew through the game when they know (sort of) what they're doing. Map is so small and quite tight. You don't get double tokenable cities until the browns come out but you are allowed to bypass one tokened out station with a single train of yours once per run so that mitigates the pain a bit. Runs can get quite profitable quite quickly and the stock market allows double, triple, and quadruple jumps if you achieve corresponding pay outs.

60 is such a strange game because you can own 100% of a company, you can sell the presidency to the bank, and companies that go broke can be refloated again. I still have a long way to go with figuring out how to strategically bilk the good tax payers of England into best holding the bag of the companies I've run into the ground. I remember posting about the game a while ago and thinking it was a "run good companies" game but recall people chiming in saying that it looks like that on the surface (and even the rule book says so!) but in reality it's not really like that at all.

THAT SAID...

Hutton should be flogged for refusing to update the graphical design on the production. The game just looks ugly, frankly, and occasionally the ugliness turns into something that actually interferes with the visual fidelity to the extent that what you're trying to see and do is affected. And this is another subjective complaint but the calculation of halts kind of rubbed me the wrong way in the sense that it felt like additional annoying math/counting on top of the already sometimes confusing and overwhelming route calculation.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

Siivola posted:

So extra complexity and maybe not enough payoff? Good to know, thanks! We're still figuring out the good plays for the base game so I'll pass on those for now.

I think Pantheon is very good and freshens the base game once you know it in and out. Agora has too many moving parts for what they actually do, and can lead to runaway winner. But yeah, the base game is more than enough for a good while.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I misread the rule in Gloomhaven that said you’re not allowed to loot a chest within one movement card of your wife.

I couldn’t find it but was assured it was in the rules

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PRADA SLUT posted:

I misread the rule in Gloomhaven that said you’re not allowed to loot a chest within one movement card of your wife.

I need a wife to play?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Jedit posted:

I need a wife to play?

Depends if you're tired of two-handing

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

FulsomFrank posted:

Played a bit of 1860 with my wife, refresher game since I hadn't played in like a year. Game played well, pleased with how quickly we were able to handle everything but two veterans can really chew through the game when they know (sort of) what they're doing. Map is so small and quite tight. You don't get double tokenable cities until the browns come out but you are allowed to bypass one tokened out station with a single train of yours once per run so that mitigates the pain a bit. Runs can get quite profitable quite quickly and the stock market allows double, triple, and quadruple jumps if you achieve corresponding pay outs.

60 is such a strange game because you can own 100% of a company, you can sell the presidency to the bank, and companies that go broke can be refloated again. I still have a long way to go with figuring out how to strategically bilk the good tax payers of England into best holding the bag of the companies I've run into the ground. I remember posting about the game a while ago and thinking it was a "run good companies" game but recall people chiming in saying that it looks like that on the surface (and even the rule book says so!) but in reality it's not really like that at all.

THAT SAID...

Hutton should be flogged for refusing to update the graphical design on the production. The game just looks ugly, frankly, and occasionally the ugliness turns into something that actually interferes with the visual fidelity to the extent that what you're trying to see and do is affected. And this is another subjective complaint but the calculation of halts kind of rubbed me the wrong way in the sense that it felt like additional annoying math/counting on top of the already sometimes confusing and overwhelming route calculation.

Scott Peterson is now responsible for the graphics of the 18xx games he makes so blame him :)

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mayveena posted:

Scott Peterson is now responsible for the graphics of the 18xx games he makes so blame him :)

I heard Mike wouldn't let him change any of the graphic design, unless I'm mistaken...

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I had a 4 player BSG game where someone else made the Loyalty deck and somehow put 3 Cylon cards in it. I figured this out when I drew my second Cylon card at Sleeper and then got thrown in the Brig by another Cylon reveal.

One player was a Cylon Leader who could only win with the humans. He was very sad when I revealed in the Brig and Cylonized our last player.

I never let someone else make the Loyalty deck after that.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

scribe jones posted:

not really a misread per se but I have to give it up for the classic “loving up the loyalty deck” mishap in battlestar galactica. the guy who accidentally ended up being the only cylon in a 5-player game was suprisingly chill about it, but still—not ideal.

It's been 13 years, and my group still reference that time I hosed up a BSG loyalty deck by putting 0 Cyclons in. That we still lost.

We had two new players and four experienced, and we all kept dropping increasingly heavy handed hints that 'this is the ideal moment for a Cylon to reveal themselves', or 'oh man, if someone reveals we're screwed'. And the game carried on. We had the Pegasus expansion, and started airlocking people left and right until there were only two people left both screaming that the other one must the sneakiest/dumbest Cylon ever, and then the fleet starved to death and we found out there were never any Cylons and I got yelled at a lot (deservedly so).

13 years.

And every single time there's a deck to construct for a game, they bring it up.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Pretty fair tbh :v:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

FulsomFrank posted:

I heard Mike wouldn't let him change any of the graphic design, unless I'm mistaken...

Yeah.

Mike Hutton posted:

Chacun son goût. In practical terms when Scott first approached me many years ago, it was on the basis that he wanted to completely redesign all the graphics to fit in with his "standard" look. That would have made it look similar to the 2nd edition of 1861. Compare that with the first edition, which features my graphics, and you'll see a marked difference in preferences. I don't like drab-looking games unless that is necessary for easing play. It was also out of context for 1861 as (IMHO) it reflected the drab militarism of the communist period rather than the vibrant riot of colour which characterized Tsarist preferences. So I turned him down.

Last year when Scott came back to me it was on the basis that it would effectively be a reprint with the minimum number of changes. So all the artwork stays the same. The advantages for me are huge. I would have been looking at weeks worth of proof-reading at a time when I simply didn't have capacity to do it effectively. I do my own artwork so I can be sure that the physical design works for players. Too many games have been ruined by great but impractical graphics. A good 2 years worth of the design time for 1862/EA was me getting the physical design right. Even the reprint of 1862/EA took up an inordinate amount of time as they insisted on re-setting everything rather than taking what I had and copying the whole lot. They had their reasons, but leisure time in 2019 for me was largely occupied by proofreading and re-checking the GMT reprint.

So the long and short of it was that either you got what you're getting, original artwork or everything, or no reprint for at least 2 years.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

I had a 4 player BSG game where someone else made the Loyalty deck and somehow put 3 Cylon cards in it. I figured this out when I drew my second Cylon card at Sleeper and then got thrown in the Brig by another Cylon reveal.

One player was a Cylon Leader who could only win with the humans. He was very sad when I revealed in the Brig and Cylonized our last player.

I never let someone else make the Loyalty deck after that.

Similarly, but on the opposite spectrum: I've once accidentally created the loyalty deck with no Cylons at all. This created the most retroactively hilarious game of BSG I've ever played as several people spent several turns in the brig and paranoia was at an all time high, accusing people of sabotaging events and everything. I wish the game ended in a human loss, but alas, we were not *that* bad at the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

The best option to figure out a rule question we have for Apocrypha is this native LP. This dude won't stop over explaining everything, along with making up a story.

Edit: He took 10 minutes to do a turn!

Maigius fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 19, 2022