Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Ladytron sang, “they only want you when you’re seventeen, when you’re 21, you’re no fun.”

That could equally refer to NCAA recruiting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Also probably military recruiters to a lesser extent. I mean they'll still take you and all but I bet it's an easier sell with the 17 year olds.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Asterite34 posted:

I think we have to accept that every single male musician from the 70s that got within a mile of hitting the Top 40 hosed someone underage.

Thankfully, odds are they'll all be dead in another decade or so, so by that point there's no guilt in financially supporting them by buying their albums!

I vaguely recall hearing that Ozzy Osbourne of all people probably was an exception, mostly because thanks to all the drugs and alcohol he was usually unconscious, although I could have heard wrong.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I vaguely recall hearing that Ozzy Osbourne of all people probably was an exception, mostly because thanks to all the drugs and alcohol he was usually unconscious, although I could have heard wrong.

At the very least he’s a wife strangling animal murderer.

And if he ain’t a kid fucker he deffo hosed his own kids up.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

For those unaware, Ozzy Osbourne has numerous instances where he has shown himself to be British

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

quote:

In 1981, after signing his first solo career record deal, Osbourne bit the head off a dove during a meeting with CBS Records executives in Los Angeles.[186] Apparently, he had planned to release doves into the air as a sign of peace, but due to being intoxicated at the time, he instead grabbed a dove and bit its head off. He then spat the head out,[186][187] with blood still dripping from his lips.

quote:

On 20 January 1982, Osbourne bit the head off a bat[189] that he thought was rubber while performing at the Veterans Memorial Auditorium in Des Moines, Iowa.
How do you bite the head off of two unrelated flying animals unintentionally?! :psyduck:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Absurd Alhazred posted:

How do you bite the head off of two unrelated flying animals unintentionally?! :psyduck:

oldpainless posted:

For those unaware, Ozzy Osbourne has numerous instances where he has shown himself to be British

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Drugs are a hell of a thing

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

now that's what I call the munchies

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
*laugh track*

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The whiplash between intending to release the dove as a symbol of peace and then on a whim brutally murdering it in front of a crowd is a hell of a thing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Yeah animal heads sticking out of pies to be eaten whole is part of British cuisine going back centuries

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

Arivia posted:

Yeah animal heads sticking out of pies to be eaten whole is part of British cuisine going back centuries

“And now, as it’s a pigeon pie, I’ll just add some feet.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq8tj1uy1Gk

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Reminds me that they were really starting to scrape the barrel for Here We Go Again, so they did this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXpzPWwEFOI

I don't see this as too horrible especially considering real life instances of teachers and students. I'm sure plenty of girls have had crushes on their teachers.

ABBA did flip the narrative of dirty old men/young girls thing with this:

Does Your Mother Know
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkL7Fkigfn8

You're so hot, teasing me
So, you're blue, but I can't take a chance on a chick like you
That's something I couldn't do

There's that look in your eyes
I can read in your face that your feelings are driving you wild
Ah, but girl, you're only a child

Well, I can dance with you, honey, if you think it's funny
Does your mother know that you're out?
And I can chat with you, baby, flirt a little maybe
Does your mother know that you're out?

I can see what you want
But you seem pretty young to be searching for that kind of fun
So maybe I'm not the one

Now you're so cute, I like your style
And I know what you mean when you give me a flash of that smile (smile)
But girl, you're only a child

From the wiki:

quote:

Canadian pianist and ABBA scholar Arne Sahlén credits this song as an underrated gem. "Half Swedish, I know the tact-based culture. The singer is off limits from the start but can't just 'diss' the girl, so credits her charms; not slut-shaming, cites her feelings driving her wild...too young for that kind of fun. He could chat, dance, flirt a little but no more since "...you're only a child" with her Mother in focus. No hint that he'd cave, not just (or even mainly?) for his safety but in clear concern for her. Best, it lets the girl down with dignity. Like 'Stay Awake', Mary Poppins' great un-lullaby, it flips - here as a controlled seesaw against what could happen. To me, it stands up even in these Me Too days - especially in the 2020s as a counterpoint against many men now accused of crimes against underage girls.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

rodbeard posted:

He even wrote a sad breakup song about being dumped by a thirteen year old.
For what it's worth (not much), Look Away is the story of Sable Starr and Johnny Thunders and their hosed up relationship, not a breakup song. Of course, that doesn't really matter when Iggy informs us he slept with Sable when she was 13 in the first line of the song, not to mention the fact Iggy also wrote an angry breakup song about a different underage girl back in the 70s.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Mister Kingdom posted:

ABBA did flip the narrative of dirty old men/young girls thing with this:

There's some interesting research into Swedish pop music lyrics, since most Swedes working in music speak fluent English, but a lot of conceptual words don't have direct translations, especially around emotions and love. They also seem to be a lot more open to weird wordplay, as an industry and as individual songwriters.

We can probably blame Deniz PoP's broken car stereo for only being able to play Ace of Base's demo tape for a month for all of this.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Iggy Pop also played Michelle Trachtenberg's dad on The Adventures of Pete and Pete. The same Michelle Trachtenberg that Joss Whedon was not allowed to be alone in the room with. Six degrees of creeps.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oh... When she was a minor, you mean? Awesome. Cool.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Does mean that Iggy Pop is more reliable to leave with children than Joss Whedon, legally

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think Whedon bristled at the suggestion that he molested her because all he did was humiliate and terrorize her with carefully chosen abusive language and threats over a period of years.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

I AM GRANDO posted:

I think Whedon bristled at the suggestion that he molested her because all he did was humiliate and terrorize her with carefully chosen abusive language and threats over a period of years.

Yeah even by his own admissions there's a sexual component but he didn't grab her butt or whip his Angel out.

Just so far gone up his own rear end that he didn't realize he was being horrible.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I still love how people excuse Roman loving Polanski because he is such an "amazing director" and his victim was asking for it/knew what she was getting into/got famous from it. A high school acquaintance of mine once told me that his victim kept "being a victim" because people told her she was, not, you know, because she was raped.

Manson's goons got the wrong Polanski in that house.

poo poo, I don't get it, even talking to loving 18 year olds who are legal but far from emotional adults, I have about zero in common with them! There is nothing attractive about being with someone and having to ask if they've seen a movie you are referencing from the year before they were born.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Cowslips Warren posted:

I still love how people excuse Roman loving Polanski because he is such an "amazing director" and his victim was asking for it/knew what she was getting into/got famous from it. A high school acquaintance of mine once told me that his victim kept "being a victim" because people told her she was, not, you know, because she was raped.

Manson's goons got the wrong Polanski in that house.

poo poo, I don't get it, even talking to loving 18 year olds who are legal but far from emotional adults, I have about zero in common with them! There is nothing attractive about being with someone and having to ask if they've seen a movie you are referencing from the year before they were born.

And everyone wants to let Woody slide.

Like, nope I will punch you if I see you on the street.

And you know this.

It won't be a good punch but it comes from the heart.

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022

Cowslips Warren posted:

I don't think having deep conversations is exactly what the average perv is planning with their prey.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I've never heard of anyone who wasn't an actual movie star going to bat for Roman. Hollywood's got problems.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Volcott posted:

I've never heard of anyone who wasn't an actual movie star going to bat for Roman. Hollywood's got problems.

It's so weird.

I'm not gonna die on Kevin Spacey hill or Louis CK uncomfortable mound but that guy is beyond the pale.

Why would you lend him any favors?

His movies aren't even that great.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Volcott posted:

Gore Vidal, for one. It definitely happens and it's gross.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

His movies aren't even that great.

How much of any greatness in them would be directly attributable to him anyway? Auteur theory is bullshit.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Torquemada posted:

How much of any greatness in them would be directly attributable to him anyway? Auteur theory is bullshit.

For real. I like some of the actors but they don't need to go to bat for him.

Look at his lineup. It's not good.

Rosemary's Baby was iconic I guess.

Wait he had a film come out in 2019?

Send drone strikes immediately.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Torquemada posted:

A fair bit since he wrote the screenplays for almost all of the films he directed. Chinatown and The Pianist are two notable exceptions but Chinatown's ending was directly due to him against the wishers of the screenwriter.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Roman Polanski is a real lovely person but it's weird to act like he's not a talented director. He's made like 3 or 4 all-timers and a handful of minor classics, and he ought to be in jail.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Rochallor posted:

Roman Polanski is a real lovely person but it's weird to act like he's not a talented director. He's made like 3 or 4 all-timers and a handful of minor classics, and he ought to be in jail.

Yeah but those classics are old enough to vote.

Talk to normies they've not heard of 99% of his output.

Guaranteed average person may know of The Ninth Gate.

And maybe that he's a bad guy. Maybe.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Yeah but those classics are old enough to vote.

Talk to normies they've not heard of 99% of his output.

Guaranteed average person may know of The Ninth Gate.

And maybe that he's a bad guy. Maybe.

"normies" what's next, telling us to go poll "NPCs" about how many woody allen movies they like?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Arivia posted:

"normies" what's next, telling us to go poll "NPCs" about how many woody allen movies they like?

Okay, sorry.

No one under the age of 60 gives a gently caress about old Woody Allen movies or Roman Polanski movies.

There are still nerds out there that care about Akira Kurosawa though.

But mostly if you talk to people they can't name who directed the latest Marvel comics movie.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Someone can be an influencial and capable artist and a garbage person at the same time. Applying death of the author to them can be more or less easy or problematic based on personal taste/feelings, the gravity of their offense and the visibility of their involvement in the piece of art.

And it's not exactly new as a dilemma: Caravaggio was notoriously a murderer but no one can really say he wasn't a talented or influencial artist.

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 10:31 on Apr 20, 2022

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Take a poll for who actively likes Woody Allen movies, and whether they're alive or dead.

It's getting close to zero. And the ones who can barely understand he's a monster is a negative number.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Take a poll for who actively likes Woody Allen movies, and whether they're alive or dead.
I would argue people in their 40-60s are far away from being dead - not saying that most people in that demographic like his stuff, just that they were consuming it in their respective prime and are to date the people most familiar with his works.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I think with Polanski in Hollywood there's a bit of weird moral confusion because of the awful murder of Sharon Tate that gives people who yearn to make excuses for paedophiles something to point to.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I can name 2 polanski movies (chinatown and rosemarys baby) but i have no clue what woody allen directed or if it even had any cultural impact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

That Italian Guy posted:

Someone can be an influencing and capable artist and a garbage person at the same time. Applying death of the author to them can be more or less easy or problematic based on personal taste/feelings, the gravity of their offense and the visibility of their involvement in the piece of art.

I celebrate death of the author. I loved Louis CK's show. And his other one. I read a ton of books that were written by creepy perverts.

I enjoy some Tarantino. I think he's a dbag too.

I love Kubrick and Hitchcock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otx49Ko3fxw

But those guys fleeing to France, too on the nose.

That Italian Guy posted:

I would argue people in their 40-60s are far away from being dead - not saying that most people in that demographic like his stuff, just that they were consuming it in their respective prime and are to date the people most familiar with his works.

Yeah, my dumb. And again I love old movies and know a lot of people IRL who do.

Annie Hall or w/e is iconic.