Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jack Trades posted:

Sounds to me like Tanks aren't strong enough.

Nah, that's just the powercreep talkin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Tanks sound at least like they're getting a bit more murdery in OW2 which could make them more fun

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

The day they have to rework junkrat to have long range headshot is the day the game is over. Not sure what he is going to do without chokepoints and big tanky brawls.

headcase fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 18, 2022

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Junkrat is perfect, do not touch him

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

headcase posted:

The day they have to rework junkrat to have long range headshot is the day the game is over. Not sure what he is going to do without chokepoints and big tanky brawls.

To see what Junkrat looks like in a game without big idiot shields, please see: the Demoman, from Team Fortress 2

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TheKingofSprings posted:

To see what Junkrat looks like in a game without big idiot shields, please see: the Demoman, from Team Fortress 2

To be fair Demoman has a lot more power than Junkrat has due to the ridiculousness that is the Sticky Bomb Launcher, even if the latter is easier to play as(can't say for sure but I think Junkrat has a bigger hitbox for his grenade launcher than Demoman has for his)

If TF2 ever got meaningful updates again it would be cool if they stole Junkrat's mine for Demoman though, lot of cool things you could do with something like that in TF2

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

Pattonesque posted:

Tanks sound at least like they're getting a bit more murdery in OW2 which could make them more fun

Mostly off-tanks from what I've seen, Maintanks seem quite a bit underpowered, especially losing a person. will definitely be some interesting gameplay as a result.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Sakara123 posted:

Mostly off-tanks from what I've seen, Maintanks seem quite a bit underpowered, especially losing a person. will definitely be some interesting gameplay as a result.

I'm talking about stuff like Rein getting two firestrikes and Orisa getting that spear offensive ability. Oh and Winston getting a skillshot

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party
I’m cautiously optimistic about the move to 5v5 and replacing 2cp with push. I’m just not sure how some tanks will work well without synergy of their off tank. Will probably be very unbalanced at the start but I guess that’s why we have a beta and OWL to test it for us.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Now instead of yelling at two people when there isn't a shield against two snipers the team can tell at one!

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Malah posted:

Now instead of yelling at two people when there isn't a shield against two snipers the team can tell at one!

I don't think it will be like that. DPS are going to have to be roving playing corners tanks are going to be aggressively making people's lives uncomfortable. I imagine Winston style is going to be money with 2 healers trying to get ult charge off of him. I'll take winston/zen on day 1. Barrages to the face, and discorded zapping of some DPS trying to flank.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
As someone who sucks at most games but doesn't mind playing whatever the team needs I sure as gently caress am never going to want to be the only tank on a team and have all the blame thrown at me.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I thrive on negativity so I will absolutely be queueing tank on day one

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I want to see "bobby kotick fired' in the patch notes

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Malah posted:

I'm mostly a tank player and if anyone is going to be displeased by my character choices they can go suck it and/or play Tank themselves.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Here's an odd question. My spouse got another Xbox, Live account, and Battle.net account. She occasionally uses my Live and her first Battle.net account, but now she's mostly using the new Live + Battle.net. The issue is that cross-platform is apparently not working, and not an option on the Battle.net site. Any of this sound familiar? Apologies if this is really confusing.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/1516837758756548612

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://twitter.com/playoverwatch/status/1516839101462241283?s=21&t=O0R9PC5rGxHuseLzM72Lkg

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

More tanks is good.

Orisa is my main tank and the rework looks...promising? I'm cautiously optimistic about it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
honestly anything that lets tanks tank without relying too much on shields is cool and good (in theory)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Actually reading the blopost, I'm pretty hype for the new Orisa.

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/23798984/legend-of-talon-and-hero-of-numbani-doomfist-and-orisa-s-tank-overhauls/

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

That orisa sounds fun, but I would like it if her default runspeed were faster than any other hero. Not like a mobility ability, just generally for moving from cover to cover and closing distance.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

headcase posted:

That orisa sounds fun, but I would like it if her default runspeed were faster than any other hero. Not like a mobility ability, just generally for moving from cover to cover and closing distance.

Cover? Excuse you?
Orisa just holds W and LMB.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

Cover? Excuse you?
Orisa just holds W and LMB.

I really do wonder how that is going to work without a shield. like even if she is behind a corner, so much of her thiccness is hanging out to be shot at, and its not like hog where you step out, do a thing and step back, or sigma where you can shoot around a corner.

e: I guess with 3 denial or fortify abilities there might not be much down time.

headcase fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 20, 2022

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
game went downhill the moment they stopped letting you play as a team of 6 Zenyatta

just unplayable

Malah
May 18, 2015

Odd Wilson posted:

game went downhill the moment they stopped letting you play as a team of 6 Zenyatta

just unplayable
But we could go do that right now in Arcade!

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
New Doom is Winston 2.0 and I’m here for it

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Malah posted:

But we could go do that right now in Arcade!

Eh, fair.

I didn't even remember Arcade existed, but in my defense, I haven't played this game in like... 4 years apparently. Most of my memories of this game are foggy, but Casual matches in a full team of Zenyatta are for whatever reason what I remember most vibrantly. :shrug:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

hey another entirely new cc ability, nice. I thought they said they were moving away from cc abilities

at least this new cc ability is apparently a skill shot

headcase posted:

I really do wonder how that is going to work without a shield. like even if she is behind a corner, so much of her thiccness is hanging out to be shot at, and its not like hog where you step out, do a thing and step back, or sigma where you can shoot around a corner.

e: I guess with 3 denial or fortify abilities there might not be much down time.

Dead serious that OW is drat near impossible to balance with the current size discrepancy of characters. Orisa previously needed the 100% uptime barriers because otherwise she's literally the broadside of a barn. Her length also meant that she was particularly vulnerable to flanks due to being a large target cross-sectionally, which sort of worked with her being able to deny one direction decently. Now she's a fat target from 3 sides lol. I'm aware of zero other games that have managed to balance vastly larger characters against much smaller ones at a high competitive level. Or, hell, at almost any level

On a broader note, map-based cover is suddenly a much bigger deal: how much are they going to rework maps because the maps are extremely not set up around defensive/offensive cover. They're designed from the ground up with the idea that barriers will be generating the tactically necessary cover in most situations.

also lol it has sucked not being able to talk about these changes

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 21, 2022

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

hey another entirely new cc ability, nice. I thought they said they were moving away from cc abilities

Has anyone checked to confirm what Geoff thinks CC stands for? There might be a slight communication breakdown thanks to Geoff's notorious dislike of candy corn.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Father Wendigo posted:

Has anyone checked to confirm what Geoff thinks CC stands for? There might be a slight communication breakdown thanks to Geoff's notorious dislike of candy corn.

Yknow I thought this too, but there's currently a tank being tested in the alpha client that's a large piece of candycorn riding in an eight-legged pumpkin, so whatever he thinks it is, it isn't that either.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

it's so funny they're entirely murdering overwatch 1 for this. hope the fan base that stuck with the dying game long after everyone else stopped playing enjoys having that game entirely remade in favor of something with, in orisa's case, very little resemblance (beyond, of course, those terrible legacy choices it would be too tough to fix, like her giant hitbox).

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Valentin posted:

it's so funny they're entirely murdering overwatch 1 for this. hope the fan base that stuck with the dying game long after everyone else stopped playing enjoys having that game entirely remade in favor of something with, in orisa's case, very little resemblance (beyond, of course, those terrible legacy choices it would be too tough to fix, like her giant hitbox).

Yeah I'm really not sure I can enjoy it. I love Overwatch because of all the things that FPSers hate. I want to play a fast team game where rein exists and I want to try to defeat a tough choke point with team play. I want tanks and healers and don't really care if the DPS role is there or not.

Violet doing peak brig was the best part of the game.

headcase fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 21, 2022

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

at least this new cc ability is apparently a skill shot

Dead serious that OW is drat near impossible to balance with the current size discrepancy of characters. Orisa previously needed the 100% uptime barriers because otherwise she's literally the broadside of a barn. Her length also meant that she was particularly vulnerable to flanks due to being a large target cross-sectionally, which sort of worked with her being able to deny one direction decently. Now she's a fat target from 3 sides lol. I'm aware of zero other games that have managed to balance vastly larger characters against much smaller ones at a high competitive level. Or, hell, at almost any level

On a broader note, map-based cover is suddenly a much bigger deal: how much are they going to rework maps because the maps are extremely not set up around defensive/offensive cover. They're designed from the ground up with the idea that barriers will be generating the tactically necessary cover in most situations.

also lol it has sucked not being able to talk about these changes

The size is only part of the problem as well. Between latency and hitboxes the larger characters have a tendency to get tagged close to corners and barriers when there's absolutely no reason for it.

It's going to be interesting to see how they go with map design though, some of them are notoriously bad for being unpleasant without barriers.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

headcase posted:

Yeah I'm really not sure I can enjoy it. I love Overwatch because of all the things that FPSers hate. I want to play a fast team game where rein exists and I want to try to defeat a tough choke point with team play. I want tanks and healers and don't really care if the DPS role is there or not.

Violet doing peak brig was the best part of the game.

You and I have different idea of what we want from an fps, but yeah that's not in any way wrong at all and if anything, that's explicitly what the game always sold itself as and was designed from the ground up to be. In a vaccuum I'd rather dance around a tree or a rock as cover in an FPS than a shield, but that also doesn't mean that the shield stuff can't be interesting or done in a way that doesn't just feel like 25 minutes of shooting barriers. The current direction feels a lot like they just threw their hands up in the air and just audibled in an entirely different direction. IDK how this works when OW maps just look and play nothing whatsoever like maps for games where you can't compensate for the parking lot smooth objectives by throwing barriers everywhere

Sakara123 posted:

The size is only part of the problem as well. Between latency and hitboxes the larger characters have a tendency to get tagged close to corners and barriers when there's absolutely no reason for it.

It's going to be interesting to see how they go with map design though, some of them are notoriously bad for being unpleasant without barriers.

An orbital cargo vessel carrying 65 billion 1.5 meter cubic crates was blown up in low orbit and they are now everywhere. yeah idk

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
At this point if I bother at all with Overwatch 2 it's probably going to be only for the PvE content

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

They said they were moving CC away from DPS, which is entirely reasonable.
DPS should have all the damage and Tanks should have little damage (to not just be fat DPS) and all of the CC instead to be an actual threat.

At this point, I'm actually pretty optimistic about the 5v5 rework. It looks fairly promising so far.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

You and I have different idea of what we want from an fps, but yeah that's not in any way wrong at all and if anything, that's explicitly what the game always sold itself as and was designed from the ground up to be.

I don't recall the game being sold as "first person wow arena" :v:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Arzachel posted:

Lmao someone told me about the years of the wow pvp pillar meta and I still struggle to believe that was a real thing that happened for that long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Arzachel posted:

Well I don't remember it being marketed as an FPS and only 4/~30 characters have a somewhat traditional ranged hitscan so it can't be. It's more of a challenge mode "you can try to play an FPS in a non FPS game, but good luck with it."