Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ilitarist posted:

Today I've tried to get into Imperator Rome again and that UI is so clumsy and irrigating after Stellaris and EU4, not to mention CK3. Like you open army screen and try to disband it the button is there but it's disabled. Tooltip says use military screen to disband levies, and there the button is disabled too and the tooltip says you can't disable a levy during the war. You are constantly asked to do something for a character (scorned family modifier, senate agenda or events do that), usually give them office, and it means you have to remember the name of the character and to find him on the specific office selection character screen. CK3 and even CK2 had put those characters on top of the list.

In many ways EU4 is even worse but I'm used to it. Glad to hear Victoria 3 UI is smooth, looking forward to it.

I like Imperator and feel like it would be amazing if it got one or two more big patches. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The new population dynamics were great, sadly my joke about Carthage being prototype Austria-Hungary turned out true as the team was pulled to make it so

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
I really liked Imperator's empire building/pop management mechanics but I felt like the setting of the game was deeply flawed since you really had to race to expand as fast as you can before either rome/etc conquered you or the game ended because of the short timeframe. It felt like a game where you absolutely had to blob instead of just garden tending and ruling an empire at your own pace.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I like the idea of production methods becoming available before they’re feasible to implement for a couple reasons:

1) It gives the player a new goal to work towards. “I need to acquire a source of oil so I can upgrade this.” The goal is open ended; the oil source might be acquired through conquest, trade agreements, market access, or internal development if available. There’s a sense of discoverability here.

2) It allows a determined player to make a choice to switch to something costly if they’re executing an “out there” plan and are willing to take the trade off. Eg “I absolutely need this resource produced at max efficiency to prepare for the next war / max my prestige / dominate this market and prevent competitors developing their own domestic supply.”

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

MonsieurChoc posted:

I like Imperator and feel like it would be amazing if it got one or two more big patches. :smith:

I like it too. I agree that some additions would have made it great. UI rework is very much unfinished and untested. I can list dumb inconviniences but there are also objective bugs I've reported on the forums. They are not likely to ever be fixed.

...like seriously, what the hell with turn into city UI? Who thought people will realize this is a UI element you can click on? Why is the color scheme there puts green progress bar on top of a scenic picture with plants? Why are important buttons like province upgrades and government actions hidden in random places in the UI? Why is this whole thing with giving every family enough offices so hard to manage and relies on my memory and tooltips?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I tried to look up what exactly oil and other bottleneck resources get you, and what I've been saying seems true. For the most part you really don't need it.

For instance, if you run your mines with "condensing engine pump," which is the best coal engine, you get 500 iron. If you replace it with "diesel engines" it requires oil instead of coal and you get 600 iron. Your engine factories get a much bigger bonus with a production method that gives you 600 engines total, as opposed to the 350 you'd make if you're just using steel and not oil.

That's most of what oil gives you. Production bonuses to some extent. You can totally run your economy without oil just fine. Engines are still just engines. The most advanced farming method uses coal powered tractors (engines and coal), same with fishing industries using steamers and coal.

Where things are a bit more interesting is the synthetics plant, a building that always seems to require oil. But even that uses oil and fertilizer to make dyes (to start, I'm sure it makes other stuff with more tech- I think it makes Silk too later on). Dyes are surprisingly important and can only be grown in certain places, so that's a pretty big deal, but it's still just an open ended option to get around an issue that you have other tools to deal with: you could trade for dye or get a dye producing country in your customs union or colonial empire.

So the situation you're left with, as early as the 1860s if you're really good at tech, is where you've got a lot of tempting upgrades available if you find a way to get this resource. It's an additional reason to interact with the world, not a bottleneck.

Eventually you'll need oil for automobiles and airplanes and tanks, but that's not the situation you're dealing with when oil first starts becoming industrially relevant. You don't need oil, or any other difficult to get resource, for telephones or radios or electricity. But you'll be using a lot of coal, and it'll surely be good for your economy to substitute oil where you can.

Rubber is similarly something that gives a bunch of different bonuses (some pretty significant), but nothing fundamentally new until you're trying to get automobiles.

All of this is of course just how things are set up now, and probably gonna be tweaked a lot before the game comes out, but I think the principles are pretty sound. Nothing's fundamentally unbalanced with this system, at least when it comes to when things show up in the tech tree.

It might be a bit easy to make a b-line to certain techs now. It's a bit odd that I could research plastics as Japan in 1860 in just 4 years, but that's a lot of opportunity cost and I won't actually be researching it until I can properly use the modest bonus it gives.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

hopefully we have the option to power our machinery with either black gold or all natural whale oil

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Maybe oil is something that's mainly worth getting into if you have a lot of cash like the US?

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose
Or a lot of oil (also like the US)

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
If there isn't a plethora of ck3 style game-settings such as Randomize Heavy Industry Resourses so that sometimes Ireland is the Baku of oil, or Randomize State Bonuses (like the electricity output increase for Niagra Falls which they showed once) then I'll be disappointed.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

hopefully we have the option to power our machinery with either black gold or all natural whale oil
The game better have biodiesel.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Mass tree plantations, now we're cooking with wood gas

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

From what y'all are saying it sounds like V3 will be perfect for a cold war / modern day mod?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

It'll definitely do them better than HoI 4 does that's for sure. I really cannot wait to see what modders do with this game.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

VostokProgram posted:

From what y'all are saying it sounds like V3 will be perfect for a cold war / modern day mod?

You might be able to use the country rank system to sort out nuclear superpowers and have them interact with the diplomacy system differently from other countries. Like you could forbid nuclear powers from declaring war on each other directly but they would be able to invade smaller countries. There would be a lot of work that would need to be done to make proxy wars work but maybe with a bunch of scripting it could be done.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Question on becoming a recognized nation: I'm trying to get through the whole timeline as Persia. Was able to industrialize easily, have defensive pacts with Russia & the Ottomans, have conquered to the East, and am rank 11 but still unrecognized. It seems the way to become recognized is to start a diplo play with US or GB which devolves to a war that can only end in a white peace. Naval actions, including invasions, don't seem to work or maybe I need tech? Don't know if other people have become recognized in their plays yet? A super chill and enjoyable playthrough so far despite crashes. Waging war and managing the economy ended up feeling natural and enjoyable. I can't emphasize enough how great of a job the team has done designing V3. I'm definitely pre-ordering a deluxe version.

Also, I really hope the game loading quotes from the beta make it to the final version.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

VostokProgram posted:

It wouldn't do Vietnam very well

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019

VostokProgram posted:

The abstracted war system should also (in theory) be easier to port to other eras. Though I was hoping for more representation of COIN conflicts with fuzzy/nonexistent frontlines in Vic3, which you'd really want for a mod like that.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

You can model COIN through an attrition modifier and adding a stance for your armies whereby they defend occupied territory. The abstractions will be super helpful for modders. Haven’t seen anything like that yet, but I did notice that I took disproportionately large losses when fighting the Native Americans when conquering the USA.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Played a little bit today as Belgium, with the aim of trying to increase the standard of living for all my pops as much as possible. Granted I only played 20 years, but I got the distinct impression that my poor pops kept hanging around 9.9 and every time they got over the 10 threshold, something happened to knock them under the threshold again. the net result was that half of Flanders radicalized in 5 years and it felt a bit like a fruitless exercise. In particular my pops just couldn't buy grain nor cloth; both resources were perpetually like 30-50% more expensive than their base value, no matter how many farms and ranches I built (I guess maybe as Belgium I should import cloth from Britain or its colonies instead of trying to home produce it? Game wasn't entirely clear on how I could solve this).

The problem didn't seem to be limited to me, either. All of Europe had an average standard of living that dropped form the starting point of 10 to 6 or 7 and remained stuck there.

Eventually France offered me to join their customs union. Apparently this makes them my "overlord" ? Which is maybe revealing of how Paradox Interactive sees the EU, hah.

Anyway France was even hungrier than my Belgians and grain prices skyrocketed immediately because my embargo on grain exports seemed to not apply to France (which makes sense) so all of my grain went into the black void of île de France

EDIT: forgot to mention but I love the interest groups system, albeit it wasn't entirely clear why some IG's couldn't be added to my government but others could. The liberal party kept winning elections and industrialists' clout kept growing but I was unable to actually put them in government to pass any reforms they were clamoring for.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 18, 2022

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Deltasquid posted:

Played a little bit today as Belgium, with the aim of trying to increase the standard of living for all my pops as much as possible. Granted I only played 20 years, but I got the distinct impression that my poor pops kept hanging around 9.9 and every time they got over the 10 threshold, something happened to knock them under the threshold again. the net result was that half of Flanders radicalized in 5 years and it felt a bit like a fruitless exercise. In particular my pops just couldn't buy grain nor cloth; both resources were perpetually like 30-50% more expensive than their base value, no matter how many farms and ranches I built (I guess maybe as Belgium I should import cloth from Britain or its colonies instead of trying to home produce it? Game wasn't entirely clear on how I could solve this).

The problem didn't seem to be limited to me, either. All of Europe had an average standard of living that dropped form the starting point of 10 to 6 or 7 and remained stuck there.

Eventually France offered me to join their customs union. Apparently this makes them my "overlord" ? Which is maybe revealing of how Paradox Interactive sees the EU, hah.

Anyway France was even hungrier than my Belgians and grain prices skyrocketed immediately because my embargo on grain exports seemed to not apply to France (which makes sense) so all of my grain went into the black void of île de France

EDIT: forgot to mention but I love the interest groups system, albeit it wasn't entirely clear why some IG's couldn't be added to my government but others could. The liberal party kept winning elections and industrialists' clout kept growing but I was unable to actually put them in government to pass any reforms they were clamoring for.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the test build leaked was designed to test radicals and the like.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

guidoanselmi posted:

Question on becoming a recognized nation: I'm trying to get through the whole timeline as Persia. Was able to industrialize easily, have defensive pacts with Russia & the Ottomans, have conquered to the East, and am rank 11 but still unrecognized. It seems the way to become recognized is to start a diplo play with US or GB which devolves to a war that can only end in a white peace. Naval actions, including invasions, don't seem to work or maybe I need tech? Don't know if other people have become recognized in their plays yet? A super chill and enjoyable playthrough so far despite crashes. Waging war and managing the economy ended up feeling natural and enjoyable. I can't emphasize enough how great of a job the team has done designing V3. I'm definitely pre-ordering a deluxe version.

Also, I really hope the game loading quotes from the beta make it to the final version.
Yeah, you need to win your war against a great power to get recognized. Kind of fun that you can tack that war goal on a defensive war too.

The way this crazy world developed in my Japan game, Russia kept falling to revolution and so wasn't a great power. My only options were to fight an absolutely insanely huge independent East India Company (the UK fell to a bunch of rebellions), or fight distant France or the UK, or I could fight the United States.

California was independent so my my plan was to invade across the Pacific and fight my way through Mexico and the US for recognition. Everyone was so wracked by revolution that it was a totally viable plan, and I strategically took on a lot of the UK's debt so they owed me and hopefully wouldn't intervene. The world would have to recognize Japan if we pulled that off.

But, as you discovered naval invasions apparently just don't work at all in this build. Fortunately there's a really useful tool that helped me get around this issue: you can pause the game, click the "play as another country" button from the main menu, select the belligerent you're fighting, surrender, and then go back to playing your country, all without unpausing the game.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

You can!

Well, you can't select what type of oil in your production method. Oil is oil once you extract it from the ground or the animal. But you can build up a massive whaling industry and legitimately use that oil for industrialization. Have your diesel engines somehow run on whale oil if you want! Whale powered automobiles! Good thing there are infinite whales in the ocean.

Deltasquid posted:

I think if they're working up to do a civil war you can't add them to your government. Fortunately you can just say you'll enact whatever law they're threatening to overthrow you about and their insurrection will melt away... usually long before you enact said law. You can shuffle around your government and then cancel the law they were previously willing to kill for and they won't mind.

That whole system seems incredibly unbalanced and incomplete in the leaked built, but the principles behind it seem solid.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Eiba posted:

I think if they're working up to do a civil war you can't add them to your government. Fortunately you can just say you'll enact whatever law they're threatening to overthrow you about and their insurrection will melt away... usually long before you enact said law. You can shuffle around your government and then cancel the law they were previously willing to kill for and they won't mind.

That whole system seems incredibly unbalanced and incomplete in the leaked built, but the principles behind it seem solid.

Yep, I figured that out but the industrialists weren’t in that situation. I could add the ruralists of w/e they’re called (the ones representing farmers and peasants) to my government despite them having only 6% clout. But industrialists who seemed to be in functionally the same situation, according to the UI, not involved in any revolutionary shenanigans, I could not add

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Overheard conversation in Dishonored posted:

Have your diesel engines somehow run on whale oil if you want! Whale powered automobiles! Good thing there are infinite whales in the ocean.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Eiba posted:

Well, you can't select what type of oil in your production method. Oil is oil once you extract it from the ground or the animal. But you can build up a massive whaling industry and legitimately use that oil for industrialization. Have your diesel engines somehow run on whale oil if you want! Whale powered automobiles! Good thing there are infinite whales in the ocean.

:hmmyes:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Victoria 3: Good thing there are infinite whales in the ocean

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

The ocean is really big, it probably can fit lots of whales, I wouldn't worry about it

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Tomn posted:

Victoria 3: Good thing there are infinite whales in the ocean

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
baru cormorant mod

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Snooze Cruise posted:

baru cormorant mod

hmm, i can increase construction capacity in vultjag but itll cost 500 lumber, 200 steel, and my ability to discern the color red.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Snooze Cruise posted:

baru cormorant mod

I too hope they get into currency manipulation mechanics

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Is that the lesbian economy simulator or the other lesbian economy simulator but this time there's necromancers?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the first one. it's good. baru would probably love to play this game.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 19, 2022

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Okay.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Hellioning posted:

Is that the lesbian economy simulator or the other lesbian economy simulator but this time there's necromancers?

Sounds like an anime mod waiting in the wings!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

baru cormorant mod

drat, that would own.

Although to really fit that world it would need to eb a weird Imperator/EU4/Victoria3 hybrid.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Eiba posted:

Have your diesel engines somehow run on whale oil if you want! Whale powered automobiles! Good thing there are infinite whales in the ocean.

This is the plot to Dishonored

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Animal Horror of Macquarrie Island achievement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8pHcy5nG_8

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hellioning posted:

is the other one gideon the ninth or are there more lesbian economics and/or necromancy books than i realized

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

is the other one gideon the ninth or are there more lesbian economics and/or necromancy books than i realized

Looking it up yes it is Gideon the 9th.