Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

TheSlutPit posted:

As a PNWer I will never stop laughing at the idea of people growing blackberries intentionally instead of destroying them with extreme prejudice.

Depends what kind of blackberry it is. The PNW hosed up nightmare is a specific horrible hybrid called a himalayan blackberry. Most other blackberry cultivars don't have insanely fast growth and huge 1 inch thick canes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

they used to run rampant along the railroad tracks in England when I was little. we could go for a walk and come home with enough for jam and a pie

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Planting Rubus armeniacus in your own backyard is exceedingly foolish unless you live in such a marginal climate that it’s the only thing that will grow and just barely at that.

However, there are a great number of Rubus cultivars that have more desirable growth habits and fruits.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

That’s interesting and good to know! I remember crawling through the blackberry bushes picking fruit growing up in WI and now I have to deal with this poo poo in WA, I just assumed it was a climate difference where the plants got properly stunted by the deep freeze of midwest winters.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I grow morning glories for shade but it literally has not rained in two months here so they can't spread at all

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Saint Catherine’s Monastery in the Sinai was established A.D. 565. Among its many claims to fame is that it has the world’s oldest continually operating library.

It holds a great many artefacts other than books, and one of them is a plant.

Legend has it that this unassuming specimen of Rubus ulmifolius subsp. sanctus is the burning bush of Exodus.

I have long wanted a clone of it.

I’m not going to go there and take a cutting. That seems like the kind of thing that would get me cursed or at least in trouble with the Egyptian authorities.

Surely I’m not the first person to think of this, though. Someone has to have taken a cutting at some point in history, established it in their garden, and bragged about it. That is where I would get my cutting.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

TheSlutPit posted:

As a PNWer I will never stop laughing at the idea of people growing blackberries intentionally instead of destroying them with extreme prejudice.

im considering it because a small portion of the property is adjacent to a major road and public walkway next to an elementary school and i want to dissuade people from using that portion of the property for shortcuts without having to build a fence

blackberry will clone itself easy, to get your own you pretty much just have to plant the tip of a cane in a pot and wait for it to root and shoot up a new cane, then cut it off the old cane

Scofflaw
May 17, 2021
I've really appreciated reading the blackberry hate ITT, and put some of that spirit into action this weekend by tearing out some small starts of blackberry in my front garden "bed." I'm sure there are bits of blackberry root still left in the ground. And I now have bare, tilled ground that will be heaven for weeds unless I put something else there to shade them out. The bed is semi-shaded by some small trees on either end of it. I'm in the PNW, so considering planting some Oregon grape there. But I really don't know what I'm doing with that. I can grow vegetables, but have no experience with ornamental or landscape gardening. Is Oregon grape a good idea? Or, maybe some other species?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

TheSlutPit posted:

I live on the east coast and I'm currently in the process of clearing about a half-acre of blackberry occupied territory so we can expand our garden. My arms and legs are a bloody mess because these assholes will happily tear through thick leather gloves, a heavy hoodie, and jeans. The worst part is that tearing back the brambles is revealing some much scarier invasive weeds, but that'll be a concern for another year.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Scofflaw posted:

I've really appreciated reading the blackberry hate ITT, and put some of that spirit into action this weekend by tearing out some small starts of blackberry in my front garden "bed." I'm sure there are bits of blackberry root still left in the ground. And I now have bare, tilled ground that will be heaven for weeds unless I put something else there to shade them out. The bed is semi-shaded by some small trees on either end of it. I'm in the PNW, so considering planting some Oregon grape there. But I really don't know what I'm doing with that. I can grow vegetables, but have no experience with ornamental or landscape gardening. Is Oregon grape a good idea? Or, maybe some other species?

Depends on your soil, but salal is a good pnw native that does well in the understory.

Scofflaw
May 17, 2021

Schmeichy posted:

Depends on your soil, but salal is a good pnw native that does well in the understory.

Thanks for the suggestion! I just called the local nursery and got some great advice on how many to plant and what to expect with it. Just need to convince the landlord pay for starter plants, now.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Platystemon posted:

Saint Catherine’s Monastery in the Sinai was established A.D. 565. Among its many claims to fame is that it has the world’s oldest continually operating library.

Legend has it that this unassuming specimen of Rubus ulmifolius subsp. sanctus is the burning bush of Exodus.

I’m not going to go there and take a cutting. That seems like the kind of thing that would get me cursed or at least in trouble with the Egyptian authorities.

Surely I’m not the first person to think of this, though. Someone has to have taken a cutting at some point in history, established it in their garden, and bragged about it. That is where I would get my cutting.

Some adventuring party somewhere definitely has a quest in their logbook which says Recover the godbush.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Scofflaw posted:

If you want to know about ornamental or landscape gardening, my advice is to look to a local nursery. They're going to be stocking plants that do well in the area, and should be staffed up nicely to tell you what you need to know.

There are tons and tons of native, nativar and ornamental species you could be adding to that bed. I'm in the PNW myself and I'm growing anything from dahlias to japanese maples (multiple cultivars and nativars) to california poppies, cosmos, rudbeckia, various fruit trees/bushes and hardy citrus.

And let me double down on nativars a little bit there - if you're not familiar with the term, it's a combination of "native" and "cultivar", often quite colorful variations of otherwise native plants. A good example I have is Acer cincinatum - Vine Maple. You see these all over the PNW, if it's a smaller, bushy maple with a rounded habitat, that's it. You can get a plain one and they're certainly nice trees. Or you can get something like "Pacific Fire" or "Sunny Sister" which genetically are still Acer cininatum, but you also get brightly colored bark, multi-colored leaves, brighter colors in the fall and so on. Lots of native species are like this - Rhododendrons are a huge example of this - so you can open up your options here while still benefiting from reduced water use, pollinator compatibility and so on.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I finally gave in and bought a compost thermometer because im sick of how fuckin long it is taking for poo poo to break down and im gonna go for full loving optimization. I loving hate buying dirt.

Terraplane
Aug 16, 2007

And when I mash down on your little starter, then your spark plug will give me fire.

Solkanar512 posted:

And let me double down on nativars a little bit there - if you're not familiar with the term, it's a combination of "native" and "cultivar", often quite colorful variations of otherwise native plants. A good example I have is Acer cincinatum - Vine Maple. You see these all over the PNW, if it's a smaller, bushy maple with a rounded habitat, that's it. You can get a plain one and they're certainly nice trees. Or you can get something like "Pacific Fire" or "Sunny Sister" which genetically are still Acer cininatum, but you also get brightly colored bark, multi-colored leaves, brighter colors in the fall and so on. Lots of native species are like this - Rhododendrons are a huge example of this - so you can open up your options here while still benefiting from reduced water use, pollinator compatibility and so on.

Nativars can be great choices, but if you grow natives because you want your plants to be a part of the local ecosystem, some nativars may be less beneficial to native insects. Most are fine, but green leaves that have been bred to be red, purple, or blue tend to be less preferred by insects. If you just want a cool looking plant likely to thrive in your garden, that might actually be a plus for you. But if you like to see what sorts of native bugs you can attract and host, it's something to be aware of.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I currently have a small‐level whitebark raspberry infestation.

There’s a wine barrel in the area that is intended to contain it, but I have sprouts coming up all around.

It’s not clear to me if these are from seeds, from cane tips rooting, or from runners coming all the way down and out from the wine barrel.

I ought to dig them all up posthaste. I even have friends who would be pleased take them off my hands.

I supposed the main reason I keep putting it off is that I’m afraid of what I might find. :kheldragar:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

there any hot tips for doing leaf cuttings? wanna clone the poo poo out of my yerba matte

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

The Voice of Labor posted:

there any hot tips for doing leaf cuttings? wanna clone the poo poo out of my yerba matte

i would google how to propagate yerba mate from cuttings i guess

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

In general it’s just:

- cut at a part thats fully “wooded” (not a green stem) and trim off any leaves at the base. You want at least 3 inches of stem before the leaves start
- score or abrade the new root end a bit
- dip it in some rooting hormone powder
- place in a small cup full of very wet starting media with about 1-2 inches of stem buried depending on the size of the cutting
- keep moist for ~4 weeks and keep an eye on the leaves
- transplant

Pretty easy in my experience but idk if yerba presents any special challenges

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

TheSlutPit posted:

In general it’s just:

- cut at a part thats fully “wooded” (not a green stem) and trim off any leaves at the base. You want at least 3 inches of stem before the leaves start
- score or abrade the new root end a bit
- dip it in some rooting hormone powder
- place in a small cup full of very wet starting media with about 1-2 inches of stem buried depending on the size of the cutting
- keep moist for ~4 weeks and keep an eye on the leaves
- transplant

Pretty easy in my experience but idk if yerba presents any special challenges

seems like it worked for these guys
https://www.scielo.br/j/asagr/a/Kv5g3Ds5LG4pjVHRDJMLZWR/?lang=en

they tested some extra stuff but it didn't really matter

here's another paper looking at propagation of Ilex paraguariensis
https://www.ipef.br/publicacoes/scientia/nr128/2318-1222-scifor-48-128-e3087.pdf

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I saw some guys cutting up a tree up the road so I asked if they’d like to dump it at my place. They dumped a pile of logs bigger than a ford ranger. It’s punky dead wood so I’m thinking it’s gonna be good for a hugel bed.

Basically the plan is to put the logs in a swampy spot, cover them up with compost and soil, and get some roots growing to keep the pile tall.

I scored a bunch of spoiled hay if I can figure out what to to with all the plastic. Hay makes really good mulch because it makes that bacterial slime layer where nothing can really germinate. These wrapped round bales are a huge pain in the rear end to handle but I’m desperate so there.

I wanna do a walipini but I don’t know how

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

On a similar note, I work in a warehouse where we throw away a LOT of plastic pallet wrap. Can I use this stuff to wrap around some frames to make greenhouses? Or does the sun like immediately destroy the plastic and make sure that I get veggies that are mostly microplastics? I just hate throwing so much of this stuff away every week.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I use pallet wrap to seal around vents in my greenhouse for fumigation purposes, and it doesn’t break down that quickly in sunlight. I think it would get through the season, but it’s a pain to work with for anything larger than arms’ width.

Six mil polyethylene sheeting is like five cents per square foot and much better behaved for this application.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Speaking of native plants, I was going through my raised beds last night and found a nice, established thimble berry bush!

Who doesn’t love free plants?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I've been making it a point to bring back a few cuttings, seeds or plants every time I go out for a hike or take the kid to the river. after all the forests get logged down to the bare earth, the oaks and pines and manzanitas will rechaparralify the area from my backyard

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

The Voice of Labor posted:

I've been making it a point to bring back a few cuttings, seeds or plants every time I go out for a hike or take the kid to the river. after all the forests get logged down to the bare earth, the oaks and pines and manzanitas will rechaparralify the area from my backyard

So back when I worked with the local surface water management agency, they would look around the area for places that will have future development. They work with the owners to allow a day or two on the weekend for volunteers to harvest any native species that can be found. Volunteers can take home as much as they can carry, and the rest go to the county native plant nursery for habitat restoration. It's really a great program!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I think it is timely that we should be having an abortifacient discussion. this thread is where the knowledge base is, but I could also see it being utterly destroyed by....takes. if no one else wants to do an effort post op, I will, but it won't be very good

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

:yeah:

Just don’t let them become invasive.

Fabaceæ is OP.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Platystemon posted:

:yeah:

Just don’t let them become invasive.

Fabaceæ is OP.

gently caress honey locust

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It’s a good time to talk to your doctor about getting misoprostol for those stomach ulcers.

atriptothebeach
Oct 27, 2020

Platystemon posted:

oh how nice. I'd feel so much responsibility caring for one, but :same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVTyuP1O6lQ

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Microplastics are in all the threads.

https://twitter.com/CodysLab/status/1483095260355915777

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon posted:

I currently have a small‐level whitebark raspberry infestation.

There’s a wine barrel in the area that is intended to contain it, but I have sprouts coming up all around.

It’s not clear to me if these are from seeds, from cane tips rooting, or from runners coming all the way down and out from the wine barrel.

I ought to dig them all up posthaste. I even have friends who would be pleased take them off my hands.

I supposed the main reason I keep putting it off is that I’m afraid of what I might find. :kheldragar:

I took care of these.

They were all rooted cane tips.

DEFCON returns to 5.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There is an argument to be made that blackberries are in fact carnivorous plants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuzLXxbGc4c

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

have most of my stuff planted in now and am now focusing on succession plantings... so far have cucumbers, eggplants, peppers, tomatillos and a whole shitload of tomatoes

probably went a little overboard with 20 plants, but i wanted to trial a variety of strains to see what i like and what works well

here's a valencia, which is a heirloom orange beefsteak... gave all the plants a pruning last weekend to direct growth up onto the trellis

Scofflaw
May 17, 2021
So, about 4-6 months ago (time is weird and I'm bad at taking notes on my plants) I tried to grow some house plants and some trees from seed. The aloe vera and agave did pretty well. And as is to be expected, the trees had a low germination rate. No lemons for me. But two of my olive seeds germinated. And one of them has survived as a healthy sprout/seedling.

But I'm not sure what to do now. I'm going to repot it this week from 4in to a 1L pot. I've read that for other trees you should cut off the top at some point so they'll branch. But it's only about 7 inches tall and I don't want to kill it now after babying it for so long. I'm still extremely new to growing trees from seed and have no previous tree care experience.

So, should I wait to chop the top off to get it to branch? Is sooner better for long term health? Any other suggestions for a total tree noob?

Photo of the tree in question:

And also the agaves and aloes because they're cool:

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Erythrina flabelliformis that I just planted 4 days ago and is growing insanely quickly

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/khamenei_ir/status/1500408616800686082

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

borage is bee crack. I saw one carpenter bee hit every flower on every plant in the patch, then fly off a little, then hit every flower on every plant in the patch again. the pistils just fit the dude perfectly. the flowers are edible, but I'm p' sure they're all full of bee cum