Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

If the rumours are true it's sure a weird choice for Homicide to make up enough to have tagged with him and wrestled him several times a decade later.

I remember reading, but don't have a source, that Homicide later said that when he claimed "Maff is a pedophile," he meant "Maff is a philanderer," which if true, wow, that's a bad screwup to make but it would explain why it was comparatively easier for Homicide to forgive him. But, again, I can't find a primary source on that, and most Google results are for Maff getting named during Speaking Out and people being like "well, that's not surprising, remember Homicide saying he was a pedo?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Lid posted:

Why did Bobby Heenan and Tony Schiavone hate each other?

Schiavone was very protective of his job and would often hide story related things he knew about in advance. He also kept his chair slightly higher than the others. Pretty sure Heenan was miserable the whole time in WCW for the same various reasons that most people who hated WCW did.

I don't remember for sure if they made up before Heenan died but I feel like they did?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Tony def comes off on air as having more personality these days and having more humor. He didn't feel like he loved wrestling back in the day like he does now so I can only assume it was the way WCW was run. Because you don't find that love of wrestling when you're old it must have always been there

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Tony definitely seemed too far up his own rear end back in the day and like he could never be the butt of a joke or not look like a serious commentator. I remember an old show he was calling with Jesse Ventura from some Disney-adjacent location where Jesse tried to get him to wear one of those hats with Goofy's ears on it and he just refused like a curmudgeon.

I'm glad he's lightened up and found his joy in wrestling again because he's real loving good in AEW.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I liked that interaction a couple of years ago where Tony blocked some Twitter rando for saying he was a lovely announcer. When Tony realized that person actually said he sucked in latter-day WCW, he immediately unblocked them and said "Yeah, fair enough."

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Ganso Bomb posted:

I remember an old show he was calling with Jesse Ventura from some Disney-adjacent location where Jesse tried to get him to wear one of those hats with Goofy's ears on it and he just refused like a curmudgeon.

That was Royal Rumble '90 out of Orlando, one of the only two WWF PPVs Tony ever called.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
I think Tony was up for head booker in WCW at one point but ended up getting overlooked for Bischoff after which he just completely lost interest in the product

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Schiavone was very protective of his job and would often hide story related things he knew about in advance. He also kept his chair slightly higher than the others. Pretty sure Heenan was miserable the whole time in WCW for the same various reasons that most people who hated WCW did.

This reminds me of this long interview Heenan did with Wrestlecrap years ago where RD Reynolds asked him about the Ultimate Warrior in WCW. Heenan got up and told him to follow him and bring the recorder. You hear them walking for a minute or so with doors opening and closing. Finally, Heenan goes, "What were my thoughts on the Warrior in WCW?" Then he flushes a toilet.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Purple Monkey posted:

I think Tony was up for head booker in WCW at one point but ended up getting overlooked for Bischoff after which he just completely lost interest in the product

Yup.

The Death of WCW posted:

[F]ollowing the departure of Bill Watts, the company was looking for a new head honcho. At the time, many believed that the next boss would be Tony Schiavone, WCW’s lead announcer at the time. Schiavone had, after all, been with the organization since before it was even known as WCW. He’d worked for Jim Crockett, not only as a wrestling announcer but also as a baseball play-by-play man. If anyone was a lock for the job, many reasoned, it was him.

But it didn’t happen. Instead, Turner reps liked what they saw in Eric Bischoff. He was young, he was handsome, and he was aggressive. He had new ideas. And, perhaps most importantly, he also seemed to have a more corporate mentality to him, with an understanding of marketing that they found very appealing. In short, he knew more than just pro wrestling, and he was a far cry from the crotchety old ring warriors who had preceded him. Ole Anderson would start yelling at a moment’s notice … but Bischoff? No way. He was far too levelheaded, and perhaps for that reason more than any other, he was given the ball and told to run with it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Purple Monkey posted:

WCW fired Bill Watts in 1993 after Mark Madden(?) sent Hank Aaron Bill's interview with the Torch.

Jim Ross and Tony Schiavone both thought they were the lead candidates for the "executive producer" position, but Turner went with Eric Bischoff. Ross pretty much immediately quit/worked to get out of his contract to go to WCW, but Schiavone stuck around and from what I recall still cared/worked hard/was a pretty good announcer through at least until 1998 or so, so I assume "getting passed over for Bischoff" isn't what killed his love of wrestling, though eventually "Bischoff is in charge" helped a lot.

Ganso Bomb posted:

Tony definitely seemed too far up his own rear end back in the day and like he could never be the butt of a joke or not look like a serious commentator. I remember an old show he was calling with Jesse Ventura from some Disney-adjacent location where Jesse tried to get him to wear one of those hats with Goofy's ears on it and he just refused like a curmudgeon.

I'm glad he's lightened up and found his joy in wrestling again because he's real loving good in AEW.
Given the fact that Vince McMahon (and pretty much anyone who ran WCW 1992-2001) seemed to love humiliating people on-air, either as punishment or for the sheer love of the game, I can see how that work environment might lead one to never wanting to do anything too silly or "fun". First it's a Goofy hat, then it's Dr. Heinie or a dancing in your underwear gimmick.

The fact that AEW has (thus far) not traded in random humiliation to pop the bosses, it's not surprising he's looser now.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Edge & Christian posted:

Given the fact that Vince McMahon (and pretty much anyone who ran WCW 1992-2001) seemed to love humiliating people on-air, either as punishment or for the sheer love of the game, I can see how that work environment might lead one to never wanting to do anything too silly or "fun". First it's a Goofy hat, then it's Dr. Heinie or a dancing in your underwear gimmick.

I suppose I can see that. I just think of how much fun Gorilla, Bobby, and Jesse had with each other and each took turns looking a little silly from time to time (or in Bobby's case, a lot of the time) but they were never made out to be incompetent bozos. I guess it also felt like they were in on the joke and were fine with looking silly from time to time; definitely a far cry from how they'd treat commentators 20 years later.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why did Big John Studd win the '89 Rumble?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Because the Rumble didn't mean much besides the novelty at that point. The angle anyone cared about was Hogan/Savage, someone had to win it once they were out of the match, and Studd was a big guy and a believable winner for the crowd.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

If I recall correctly, it's because he was able to throw Ted Dibiase over the top rope while simultaneously avoiding anyone else doing the same to him.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I think they were also going to run back the Studd-Andre feud, with the roles reversed since Andre had turned heel while Studd was gone from WWF.
So he could come back and be the big babyface that wins the rumble and then challenges Andre.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I know it didn't mean anything, but at least Hacksaw made sense in '88 in that he was crazy over. Nobody gave a poo poo about Studd. A possible Andre feud makes sense though.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

He had just come back after a couple years gone, and came back as a face, so I imagine Vince was hoping to push him as one.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I'm watching through Nitro from the beginning while I get ready in the morning. Steve McMichael was already in the NWO and not in commentary anymore once I started watching as a kid. Please tell me he leaves commentary soon because he is loving killing me.

Bobb the Stain? Jesus Christ and that's one of his better ones.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I'm watching through Nitro from the beginning while I get ready in the morning. Steve McMichael was already in the NWO and not in commentary anymore once I started watching as a kid. Please tell me he leaves commentary soon because he is loving killing me.

Bobb the Stain? Jesus Christ and that's one of his better ones.

Good news he never joins the nWo and his commentary is the best.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

MassRafTer posted:

Good news he never joins the nWo and his commentary is the best.

Yeah I looked it up I was mistaken, it was the four horsemen.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Davros1 posted:

He had just come back after a couple years gone, and came back as a face, so I imagine Vince was hoping to push him as one.

I seem to recall Studd was also one of those guys Vince had his weird bouts of loyalty towards and it was a way to reward him but Studd just simply couldn't go in the ring by that point.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
As a child I remember seeing a battle royal that ended when in the final four or three a guy covered in, what I remember, giant tooth pick shaped spikes came in and threw people out. Is this a false memory?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lid posted:

As a child I remember seeing a battle royal that ended when in the final four or three a guy covered in, what I remember, giant tooth pick shaped spikes came in and threw people out. Is this a false memory?

What year would that be, roughly?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Gavok posted:

What year would that be, roughly?

I can't tell you as the match was on VHS but seeing it was would be roughly 1998.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Was it one of the Road Warriors?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Between the movie theater previews and the hellish dystopian gas pump advertisement screens, Maria Menounos is a woman who in my mind is exclusively famous for appearing in places where I'd rather not see her. It has come to my attention recently that she has wrestled in WWE. Does the same hold true for her there or is she actually good enough at it that her presence on screen is not irksome and vexatious?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Bluedeanie posted:

Between the movie theater previews and the hellish dystopian gas pump advertisement screens, Maria Menounos is a woman who in my mind is exclusively famous for appearing in places where I'd rather not see her. It has come to my attention recently that she has wrestled in WWE. Does the same hold true for her there or is she actually good enough at it that her presence on screen is not irksome and vexatious?

nearly all of her time at wwe has been as an event host and not a wrestler, and the brief time cagematch has her as performing in-ring is decidedly in the span of time where all a woman signed to wwe had to do was look pretty

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Ganso Bomb posted:

I mentioned it in one of the Dark threads, but Tony's a better commentator now than he's ever been, and a big part of that is because he's been working hard to learn the real names of moves - even the Mexican/Japanese named ones - from Excalibur. In WCW, Tony was calling tons of Cruiserweight matches featuring Mexican wrestlers, but I don't recall him ever calling a tornillo or tijeras until he started working with Ex.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Bluedeanie posted:

She shows up on Bar Rescue a lot and seems like a nice enough person.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bluedeanie posted:

She did well for a celebrity match.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I think she also worked a Mania or some show with a broken rib

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I think she's like Snooki in that she has an acrobatics background?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

IIRC, she was just inoffensively there. Her first appearance was as a celebrity guest host for Raw so she came in just as herself rather than any sort of wrestling personality.

So I guess if you don’t like her for whatever reason, you probably wouldn’t like her in WWE since she was basically just herself doing her regular celebrity interview job and just got out in a couple feuds because she was a name outside of wrestling that was willing to do it.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

What would be the most used move while a ref is distracted? I'm guessing the standard low blow. Distracted for example like a quick 5 or 10 seconds being tied up by a manager.

Low Blow
Illegal object/weapon (chairshot, brass knuckles)
Green Mist

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

closed fist, back rake

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

What would be the most used move while a ref is distracted? I'm guessing the standard low blow. Distracted for example like a quick 5 or 10 seconds being tied up by a manager.

Low Blow
Illegal object/weapon (chairshot, brass knuckles)
Green Mist

Illegal Man/Manager attacking opponent while legal man is distracting referee I'd guess.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Low blow
Foreign object
Vexatious glance
Astonished query
Gun

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

King's Ruling