Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Augus posted:

New PvP is...actually fun???

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I finally did it. :negative:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
goongrats, gamer

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

STEP AND GO

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Kazy posted:

I finally did it. :negative:

:hfive: What's up silver buddy

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Finally got around to doing the new alliance raid. Very fun set of fights, the end boss theme kicked rear end.
Cant believe we finally got to see Thal’s balls

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Has Nero always dropped these puns during his fight?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Has Nero always dropped these puns during his fight?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The stuff you miss when you don't have to think or pay attention.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

MechaX posted:

Tried CC again as SMN this time; still fun but some of y'all need to stop chasing the solo samurai off away from the crystal lmao. Teams can get absolutely demolished if people run in one or two at a time as opposed to trying to stay with a group, even if that means giving up some crystal progress. Also Bahamut/Phoenix can straight delete people and it's great.

And also tried Frontlines, and yeah, that still sucks rear end. But I'm down for more CC-related stuff!
SMN in CC is fairly fun, but it seems its AoE attacks might be even more useful in FL, but I need to try it in FL

I just stopped playing ranked, after a string of lost games where I saw my team mates playing 'meta' jobs revive one by one and then run alone into an enemy team to die, I just gave up.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Dwesa posted:

SMN in CC is fairly fun, but it seems its AoE attacks might be even more useful in FL, but I need to try it in FL

I just stopped playing ranked, after a string of lost games where I saw my team mates playing 'meta' jobs revive one by one and then run alone into an enemy team to die, I just gave up.

SMN in Frontlines is absurd. Press button, delete enemy team. The instant snare is also fantastic for ensuring immediate doom for people lagging behind their zerg.

parara
Apr 9, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

You can have some really good games as WAR for sure. My problem was I was completely at the mercy of my DPS, where if they were completely stupid I knew I was gonna lose. I switched to DPS to get me to gold, as I found as if I got a Tank that was at least half decent, me being half decent as a DPS would be a big boon. Now that I hit gold and might have better groups as far as tactics go I might switch back again.

Swapping to Warrior was a one way ticket to gold for me, and like you experienced afterwards you kind of have to pray your teammates capitalize on your setups. Incredibly powerful job in CC though.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Well, managed to get into Silver 1 for the first time in the most anticlimactic way ever. It was overtime and enemy team forgot to stand in the crystal.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The Draw system in CC is really bad.

If you haven't experienced it before, the way I got I draw was that our team pushed the crystal to 50% but didn't manage to get past the checkpoint and then, during overtime, the opposing team pushed the crystal to our 50% checkpoint, and then lost the fight there. My entire team was standing on the crystal, but instead of the crystal going back, the match ended and we got a draw instead. I'm not sure why they coded it this way. It should allow the team to push back and try to get past 50%.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Tekopo posted:

The Draw system in CC is really bad.

If you haven't experienced it before, the way I got I draw was that our team pushed the crystal to 50% but didn't manage to get past the checkpoint and then, during overtime, the opposing team pushed the crystal to our 50% checkpoint, and then lost the fight there. My entire team was standing on the crystal, but instead of the crystal going back, the match ended and we got a draw instead. I'm not sure why they coded it this way. It should allow the team to push back and try to get past 50%.

Overtime has a time limit. IIRC it's 3 minutes.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I don't remember who it was, but there was someone in here that was disappointed that the new glam set from the new treasure map materials showed men with pants and an open jacket and women with a skirt and closed jacket.

If whoever you were hasn't heard, it turns out there's six different items with zero gender locking in any of them. A hat, shoes, a skirt, pants, a buttoned jacket and an unbuttoned jacket.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Also things like the Frontier set is also ungender locked now

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Macaluso posted:

Also things like the Frontier set is also ungender locked now
you dang woke ungender people get all the cool stuff

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

HELL YEAH GOLD BBY

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'm getting to some reasonably high level games and it's definitely giving me flashbacks of my old Dota addiction. Super easy to keep playing "just one more game," but it's really nice that the game length is short and usually not subject to insane variation.

It's wild how spread apart the fights can get, and how chasing someone all the way across the map and deep into their base can actually be the correct move at times.

I've been focusing on MCH which people seem to generally agree is in a good place strength wise, but mostly I'm just impressed by the design of it. It really feels like the coolest version of what I imagine the Machinist to be, 'cause I've never really been impressed with how it feels to play in PvE stuff. It's so versatile, and hitting a boosted Bioblaster on a full enemy party is insanely satisfying.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Oh, hey, I missed that someone finally uploaded the CC music pieces. I love these versions of these FFIX tracks. I was a little sad they didn't do You're Not Alone for Endwalker, but this is a great use of two other key pieces from the game, so I'm happy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpoRaRimIsU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIU4XmZ64Xc

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Oh also I finally looked downward off the edge of the windy island CC map and it's a really amazing setting. Kinda dizzying.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Astroniomix posted:

Overtime has a time limit. IIRC it's 3 minutes.
I've had matches go on for like 10 minutes after overtime started. Someone from my FC had the same 50%/50% issue creating a draw as well. I can't find anything in the rules either that seems to indicate that overtime is limited.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Augus posted:

New PvP is...actually fun???

It is if you're good at it.

If you're bad at it like me, it's just series of frustrating losses occasionally broken up by opening up the season pass page to collect a reward for sucking.

Played 15 CC matches last night. I only won once.

Don't get me wrong, new PvP is good, I'm just bad at it, and I don't know how to get better. :smith:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Tekopo posted:

I've had matches go on for like 10 minutes after overtime started. Someone from my FC had the same 50%/50% issue creating a draw as well. I can't find anything in the rules either that seems to indicate that overtime is limited.
It will never end as long as the losing team is on the crystal, but I think the issue is when there is no "losing team" after some time limit. Honestly it's pretty weird and especially frustrating while ranking up because a Draw will end your win streak.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Both me and the other person that got the 50%/50% draw had the match end when the losing team was pushed off the crystal, and it ended immediately. I don't think it's time dependent. I think the issue is that the game sees that the "losing team" was pushed off the crystal (which is one of the victory conditions for the "winning team" according to the CC rules), but then sees that both sides have 50/50 control and since the game has already adjudicated that the match has ended, it's a draw. It's probably possible (albeit unlikely) to have the same thing happen if the losing team pushes up exactly to the same % as the winning team, it's just more likely to happen when the 50% checkpoint is involved. The Draw that I got had a very short overtime so I don't think some hidden timer is involved.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Overtime in general feels like it could be looked at in the future. I don't have any specific suggestions but basically every game once you reach a certain level goes to an extended overtime because people become really good at knowing when they can retreat to elixir. I've definitely had games that give me a fistpump moment after a cool overtime but I've had way more that are just really tedious. It also makes it difficult to judge how long a game will actually last - you can't really say "CC matches are only 5 minutes!" when most of them are twice that long now.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My average CC match is about 5 minutes if you aggregate all my games together. I've only had a very small handful of them go into extended overtime and in over 200 games I've never drawn. Maybe it's prevalent at the higher tiers. I probably never escape silver and I've come to accept that. This iteration of pvp is the best its ever been and if they give it any support in the form of tuning it will be cool for a while.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

SettingSun posted:

My average CC match is about 5 minutes if you aggregate all my games together. I've only had a very small handful of them go into extended overtime and in over 200 games I've never drawn. Maybe it's prevalent at the higher tiers. I probably never escape silver and I've come to accept that. This iteration of pvp is the best its ever been and if they give it any support in the form of tuning it will be cool for a while.

I had a 16 minute match recently where I was the lowest ranked person at Gold 2 (most of the enemy team was Platinum). It was unbelievably intense.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

W.T. Fits posted:

If you're bad at it like me, it's just series of frustrating losses occasionally broken up by opening up the season pass page to collect a reward for sucking.

Don't get me wrong, new PvP is good, I'm just bad at it, and I don't know how to get better. :smith:

try different jobs! I'm usually DRK in pve but I went samurai here because your can delete people with your LB sometimes.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Warrior definitely reminds me of playing Leona in LoL. Whenever I played her, I'd constantly be asking myself "why am I not diving the enemy team right now?" and as soon as I couldn't find a good reason not to, it was go time! Usually, I would click the healer's name to target them, cast bloodwhetting, jump, cyclone, purify, orogeny, walk back out to my team unless they followed me in, in which case the healer was immediately dead and we won the fight. I feel like people don't immediately realize that you can click the enemy team's names on the bottom right.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So, where are the floating island and volcanic CC maps even meant to be, as far as the game world goes? Neither of them quite resemble anywhere we've been.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Cleretic posted:

So, where are the floating island and volcanic CC maps even meant to be, as far as the game world goes? Neither of them quite resemble anywhere we've been.

They're nowhere. I don't think they mention where the battleground itself is, but the arenas themselves are glamours. A literal virtual arena a la the multiplayer in Halo 4.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Judging by being a floating island with the same color scheme, I assume they windy map is from the Sea of Clouds.

The volcano looks to match the one in the Ruby Sea, so that's where I assumed it was.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

SettingSun posted:

They're nowhere. I don't think they mention where the battleground itself is, but the arenas themselves are glamours. A literal virtual arena a la the multiplayer in Halo 4.

Oh? Where's it mentioned they're glamours? That's a cool bit of flavor.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Countblanc posted:

Overtime in general feels like it could be looked at in the future. I don't have any specific suggestions but basically every game once you reach a certain level goes to an extended overtime because people become really good at knowing when they can retreat to elixir. I've definitely had games that give me a fistpump moment after a cool overtime but I've had way more that are just really tedious. It also makes it difficult to judge how long a game will actually last - you can't really say "CC matches are only 5 minutes!" when most of them are twice that long now.

yeah I think a time limit on overtime would be fine, I'm running into this too where a non-trivial # of matches are like "5 minutes + 3-5 more with overtime"

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Onean posted:

Oh? Where's it mentioned they're glamours? That's a cool bit of flavor.

In the flavor text when you queue up.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

1) stick with your team, whether that's in a teamfight or while eveyones dead and respawning. For example, if someone goes down in a teamfight do not run away, stick around and try to even things out. If you run you've guaranteed a lost teamfight. Conversely, if everyone is dead try to wait for at least 3 other people being up before running at the enemy team. I feel like waiting in spawn is fine, but you can also try to regroup at the next checkpoint. If someone singles you out and starts chasing you, run towards your teammates, not away.

2) focus fire! This is an extremely important point and also extremely frustrating since you'll need to be paying attention. Ideally, you or someone else will be calling out low mp targets. Yes, low mana and not low health. Basically, if they've got mp they're not low health unless they're dumb and you know theyre not using their heals. After calling the target, everyone will focus fire that guy down and move on. Sadly, this rarely happens in low level matches, so you need to pay attention! Look at the enemy team list and keep an eye out for who is going down fast and pressure them. You might get a shot caller, definitly keep their calls in mind but double check to see if the rest of the team is listening. The shot caller wants people to kill the bard but your melee are focused on chunking down the gunbreaker? Hit the gunbreaker. It might feel annoying and counterintuitive but in the end actual kills > meta kill order.

3) use the field to your advantage. Keep an eye out for potions and try to snag them if you need one or you see an enemy heading towards one. Use all the annoying corners to LoS the ranged. Guard before the windstorms and try to silence people before it to stop them from guarding. Bind, stun, and knockback enemies into the explody fire bombs and pick up the damage up orbs that spawn.

4) Use your full heal potion well. Use it between team fights or when you can LoS the enemy team during a teamfight. Do NOT use it during fights when you still have mp and hp. You are taking yourself out of a fight and that could turn the fight against you. A good example of using the potion during a fight is if you're being focused down, heal up using MP while retreating behind your team and ideally around a nearby corner. Since they were focusing you, hopefully that means the rest of the team is not that damaged and they can keep the fight going while you recover. Also the enemy might have used their cooldowns on you already so your team will have an even easier time holding.

5) You cannot carry your team. Unpopular opinion maybe but getting out of bronze and silver is more up to team RNG than personal skill. Of course becoming more skilled helps, having one or two other good players makes a huge difference. But if you run into a team that refuses to focus, runs in one at a time, are unwilling to push the crystal, there is nothing you can do about it. The games literally get easier and less frustrating the higher up you go in the ranks because people become more willing to coordinate.

Xun fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 19, 2022

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Kyrosiris posted:

In the flavor text when you queue up.

Ahhh. I always think to read those but put it off to later and forget. Cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boloney
May 29, 2021

Xun posted:

2) focus fire! This is an extremely important point and also extremely frustrating since you'll need to be paying attention. Ideally, you or someone else will be calling out low mp targets. Yes, low mana and not low health. Basically, if they've got mp they're not low health unless they're dumb and you know theyre not using their heals. After calling the target, everyone will focus fire that guy down and move on. Sadly, this rarely happens in low level matches, so you need to pay attention! Look at the enemy team list and keep an eye out for who is going down fast and pressure them. You might get a shot caller, definitly keep their calls in mind but double check to see if the rest of the team is listening. The shot caller wants people to kill the bard but your melee are focused on chunking down the gunbreaker? Hit the gunbreaker. It might feel annoying and counterintuitive but in the end actual kills > meta kill order.

Can you see enemy MP?