Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/04/18/earn-the-favour-of-the-dark-gods-to-make-your-massive-killing-machines-even-more-unstoppable

More dark blessings for KAY-OSS!!! with a Chaos Knight preview that talks about earning favour of the chaos gods.

That's... actually really cool and a neat way to add uniqueness to the individual Knights. That being said... WHERE'S MY EPIC-STYLE SLAANESHI KNIGHTS YOU COWARDS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/04/18/earn-the-favour-of-the-dark-gods-to-make-your-massive-killing-machines-even-more-unstoppable

More dark blessings for KAY-OSS!!! with a Chaos Knight preview that talks about earning favour of the chaos gods.

That's really cool, I hope they are doing something similarly flavorful for Imperial Knights.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Randalor posted:

That's... actually really cool and a neat way to add uniqueness to the individual Knights. That being said... WHERE'S MY EPIC-STYLE SLAANESHI KNIGHTS YOU COWARDS!

quote:

Subjugator Machine Spirit binds the gluttonous soul of a fallen Subjugator Titan** into the confines of a Knight, saturating every piston and synapse with its overwhelmingly powerful ego.

quote:

** These crab-clawed God-Engines once existed in Titan Legions, an older game we’ve recently had cause to revisit…

:hmmorks:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Cooked Auto posted:

Blessing of the Dark Master is a house, gdamn.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Did some random bits of terrain and objectives that I have managed to collect previously. As a breather between bigger, or more involved, projects.
Still want the lasgun supply boxes, but last I checked those were only available via the magazine subscription so good luck with that.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Vespa 'Minx' Merdena

that hairdo is pretty great

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That model is pretty sweet. Period.
Probably the most voluminous hair GW has done so far.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Ms. Frizzle taking her gloves off.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Winklebottom posted:

Vespa 'Minx' Merdena

that hairdo is pretty great

Wow, Merida has seen some poo poo.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
That beer gut rules. I'm stoked for this

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Chaos Space Marine preview is up: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/04/18/two-wounds-are-only-the-beginning-for-chaos-space-marine-legionaries/

Giving CSM a baseline 3 attacks makes sense. On the other hand, bumping their leadership from 7 to 8 is heresy.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Maneck posted:

Chaos Space Marine preview is up: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/04/18/two-wounds-are-only-the-beginning-for-chaos-space-marine-legionaries/

Giving CSM a baseline 3 attacks makes sense. On the other hand, bumping their leadership from 7 to 8 is heresy.

If the rumours continue to be accurate I'm going to have to start apologising for using my word bearers

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I might have to subtly convert my knights to be slightly chaosey

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

it's really really not fun to play 40k casually at the moment. too much poo poo coming out all the time, way too many rules, a seasons model like it's call of duty and not a game where you spend hours painting a single model. it kills games for me if I don't want to bother learning something in depth because I know it has a fixed time limit

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

it's really really not fun to play 40k casually at the moment. too much poo poo coming out all the time, way too many rules, a seasons model like it's call of duty and not a game where you spend hours painting a single model. it kills games for me if I don't want to bother learning something in depth because I know it has a fixed time limit

Yeah it’s kind of weird I do wanna play the game, but right now I’m perfectly satisfied with just building models, reading lore, and following the new kits to come out. Then said I’m hopeful that it changes when I get to play an intro game using table top simulator with someone.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

There's so many entry points into 40k now that i don't think you even really have to play or even like the table top game.

You could become a fan through Black Library publications or because one of the multitude of video games. It could have been because of poo poo on YouTube or something else entirely. It'll all eventually lead to the models but then that's a different hobby world seperate but still obviously connected to the game itself. There's so many people who just build and paint models and GW is just as happy to have you as a fan as the competitive guy who chases the meta and goes to every tournament.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Do new codexes and datasleet balances really change stuff like Crusade?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Eej posted:

Well something like Armor of Contempt would effect Crusade if you were looking to play the most current rules (at least that's my understanding of it). Also PL value changes could effect crusade. But really those things could be easily hashed out with your play group of buddies beforehand. Like I have just played with my one friend and we did our own PL fix on the old-Avatar because house ruling things that make sense for what you're doing is the way to casual game.

I guess there could be a group of people who want to "play casual" but also be playing everything to the exact letter of the newest rules, but to me that's no longer casual so v0v

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I don't know, I think playing the current rules and points values is sort of implicit, even in a casual game.

In my friends and mine crusade campaign we've given my Word Bearers more PL to offset the fact Ad Mech are just so much better than CSM right now.

On the other hand I played a narrative game with a dude from the league I'm on using my Word Bearers and I just took as much good stuff as possible and he had custodes but I asked him to tone it down (no Trajann, no emperors chosen, he only had three bikes etc).

The guy in the last game suggested we play with 2W marines but I said no. It throws the balance and stuff off and I'd rather stick to the rules and just tweak our armies.

For casual 40K on the one hand the dataslate and stuff can be intimidating. It's like a patch for a PC game but instead of it just updating how the game plays you have to go into the settings and change the values. On the other hand, you could totally ignore the dataslate. If it's that casual you don't even need to use the FAQs or updated points.

Then again if you have the 40K app this is all updated automatically for you (lol its not).

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I think it's more like there's a sliding scale between super-casual up to top level tournament play.

Like in your example you've got a casual crusade game between friends where you adjusted PL values. So that's not playing to the current exact rules as the great GW sees it. Which is fine and good and casual!

Really all I'm going for with my point I guess is that a sufficiently casual game can choose not to be concerned with, "have any new PDFs been posted since last [unit of time]?"

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Also out of interest I put together a preservers GK list. Their "thing" is apothecaries and dreadnoughts and they get a strat to supercharge one dreadnought in your army be giving it M8, re-roll charges, and D4 attacks when it charges. Not bad for 1CP on a ven dread with a multi-Melta and fist. Their psychic power is a 6+ to get 6+++ or if you're within 3" of an apothecary a 5+++

So I started building a list around a dread, an apothecary, and 20 Terminators. Since there's a tide to let everyone cast the brotherhood power I was thinking like 20 5+++ Terminators with the dread casting Armoured Resilience for a 2+ save (1+ in Tide of shadows) plus armour of Contempt. To help with that you take a chaplain or brother captain for +1 to cast for 2CP (or both for 1+ maybe for free and +1 for 2CP).

Then I was like "might as well add in the GMDK as he is like, so awesome why wouldn't you ever take one". Then I thought about it and went "hmm might as well take a couple of dreadknights, they are pretty good still".

Then I thought about it some more and dreadknights are just too awesome, so I took three and since I have 5 vehicles a techmarine would be handy so binned the chaplain/brother-captain. I then dropped the apoethcary because he needs to be within 3" to trigger that psychic power and I'm not sure he can buff all three while I take the objectives I need, making him poor value.

I ended up with a list very similar to my "normal" list basically trading the strikes and interceptors for the durability of the Terminators:

quote:

HQ: GMDK (tricked out), Draigo, Techmarine

Troops: 3 x Five Terminators

Elite: Ven Dread w/ multi-melta (plus strat to super charge), servitors

Fast Attack: 1 x Five interceptors

Heavy: 3 Dreadknights

I honestly think this list has a lot of potential. It's basically the 5 dreadknight list via the back door. Can potentially switch out the techmarine for an apoethcary if the Terminators don't spread out a lot in practice but he's more expensive too.

I think a lot of armies would struggle to deal with 4 dreadknights, a ven dread that is hard to shoot and is pretty fast, draigo, and 15 Terminators quickly enough if you play aggressively. The interceptors are basically there to cheekily score points, but if they turn out to be useless it's more points to get the apothecary or even squeeze in an extra terminator in each squad.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 19, 2022

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Maneck posted:

Wild that CSM have better stats than primaris.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Play With Pals

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

raverrn posted:

Wild that CSM have better stats than primaris.

They're Veterans of the Long War, and favoured by the Dark Gods, besides. It makes sense they'd be better than the newbies.

Plus Primaris gets Transhuman Physiology & Gene-wrought Might.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Yvonmukluk posted:

They're Veterans of the Long War, and favoured by the Dark Gods, besides. It makes sense they'd be better than the newbies.

Unless they’re just some schmucks from an excommunicated normal space marine chapter who ran off to join the Red Corsairs, of course.

Edit: There’s been a focus shift here, from when GW didn’t really seem to care much about the original renegade legions and seemed to want folks to make up their own chaos warbands with more modern origins, with the Crimson-Slaughter-as-poster-boy-CSMs seeming like the height of that trend, to now when the focus is almost entirely on the renegade Legions from the Heresy. And the latter does seem to excite people—it’s a lot easier to get the audience fired up over whatever Abbadon or Magnus or Mortarion or Angron is up to lately than randos like Kranon the Relentless. But if one likes that era of the intent behind Chaos Space Marines seeming to be that they represent modern chapters who’ve fallen to chaos first and foremost, I can see how a shift in mechanics and nomenclature (“Legionaries”) wholly away from it might rankle.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 19, 2022

Mouse Business
Jun 12, 2019

Eej posted:

The dataslate actually says that it's matched play rules at the top, so only if your group decided to apply it to your crusade.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Cooked Auto posted:

Did some random bits of terrain and objectives that I have managed to collect previously. As a breather between bigger, or more involved, projects.
Still want the lasgun supply boxes, but last I checked those were only available via the magazine subscription so good luck with that.

I recognize the inspiration for those artillery shells.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Samovar posted:

I recognize the inspiration for those artillery shells.

That's a surprise because I just googled tank shells and then found some random picture to base the colour choices off. :v:

Then I added the red stripe as a splash of colour after looking at WW2 shells.

Did the same with the mortar shells for that part. But I should've picked brighter highlight colours since it blends in too much with the box.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Mouse Business posted:

The dataslate actually says that it's matched play rules at the top, so only if your group decided to apply it to your crusade.

To be fair I would 100% apply any balancing changes to crusade. The game is funky enough to keep balanced with all your upgrades to units and poo poo nevermind when you have a codex that is severely over/under powered. I didn't even notice it said "matched play only".

The crusade rules in general could do with a bit of a pass over to be honest, but I wouldn't expect that until 10e.

Things like "OK so you have a generic upgrades table which you can "pick or roll" on but clearly picking is better than rolling right? Why would I ever roll? ". The counter argument is many groups enforce rolling, but it leads to feel bad moments like the fact the my possessed got a "you shoot better" upgrade despite not having literally any guns.

Things like "There is a melee upgrade table and a shooting upgrade table. Everyone rolls two dice and picks the one they want. If you roll a double you get to pick any upgrade" would be a far better system.

Likewise the bonus for fighting a crusade army tooled up to the teeth just isn't good enough. The system is every crusade upgrade gives your unit 1 Crusade Point (CP) and if you have less Crusade Points (CP) than your opponent you get half the difference as Command Points (CP, wait what?).

Not only is this flawed from a hoarde vs elite army perspective. If my 8 unit custodes army has 8 crusade points, your 25 unit astra Militarum crusade army has 12 crusade points, I get CP. In reality though 100% of my army is benefitting from an upgrade whereas only less than half of yours is. Fundamentally the problem is a PL12 unit with an upgrade is 1 CP and a PL4 unit with an upgrade is 1CP. I'm not sure if there is a clever way to fix this if I'm honest.

Even if you do fix it or decide to ignore it, giving me 6CP at the start of a game is OK but people forget that in narrative play you can use stratagems multiple times. Since a lot of players play both competitive and casual play I doubt they want to balance their army by spamming Veterans of the Long War on every unit when in a competitive game you can't do that.

Instead I think there needs to be stratagems clearly designed to help the underdog. Things like "You can bring 5 extra PL to this game" or booby traps, or some sort of bombardment, or even a basic "score extra victory points".

A mechanic from Blood Bowl would also be good which is the retirement mechanic. Essentially after X number of games there's a chance your player retires. This means you are forced in long leagues to keep a funnel of new players levelling up. No one in 40K retires per se, but maybe Guardsmen muster out and settle down, Tyranids are eventually redigested to learn their successes, Orks wander off to start their own war band, Space Marines are moved on to a new front where experienced Veterans are needed etc.

Something like when your unit reaches the max level, after each game you roll 2D6. If you roll a 13 the unit retires, if you roll less then add +1 to your next roll.

If we get stuff like this we might start approaching something that is actually remotely balanced.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

JBP posted:

This update speaks to why I absolutely can't be hosed with this game any more

What? You don't want to buy hundreds of dollars of models, assemble and paint them, play a few games with them and then shelve them and buy hundreds more in new models to chase the meta? You are no true gamer.

The scale and constant flux of 40k has kept me well away for years, even after amassing a sizable Ork army I can't be arsed to play as all my stuff is old and I lack many of the current hotness (which has just been nerfed anyway apparently).

I enjoy the models and the fluff, but the game just doesn't work for me.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

On one hand it's kind of weird to make a huge sweeping change like giving everything -1 AP against half of the factions in the game in a online balance datasheet, on the other hand I do like that they are trying to fix their game.

If something like the original Drukhari codex or the Harlequins came out ten years ago, the game would just be irredeemably busted for years until the next edition would roll around.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Come play Kill Team m'lords

Just 1 squad worth of minis required per ~1hr game, you can spend ages painting or customizing each one

Also while the rules diverged completely from big 40k now, I find the game has a much more interesting flow once you get over the initial learning curve (outcomes are still very swingy depending on dice rolls, but you are constantly making decisions compared to all the downtime in 40k)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Kill team is way more engaging and fun compared to 40k now. I like the alternating activations instead of standing around and picking up models every once in a while during my opponents turn.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Also always play with friends and play narrative or otherwise casual games. Balance isn't as big of a deal when you're playing to a theme instead of in a tourney.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Also always play with friends and play narrative or otherwise casual games. Balance isn't as big of a deal when you're playing to a theme instead of in a tourney.

I only play casual games with a club and I feel like I don't know the rules every time I go. It makes for slow play, confusing readings of rules or wildly out of balance armies even on points because you're not staying up to date.

Like if it fired all this poo poo into an app that was easy to use it would probably be ok since I could just take that with me. It's just a massive hassle and I think it feeds into GW wanting the hobby to be all consuming more than anything else. I've just made a choice and stick to videogames and paint the odd model now.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Hobby/fun money I would have spent piecemeal finishing up my Tyranid army is being saved up for a bit until I get a resin printer then I'll give close to zero fucks what GW does with unit/meta nerfs. I'll spend more time and money painting my armies than I will buying them. Already planning on having entirely "for fun" armies just to mess around once it's not high 3-low 4 figures to get them.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/04/19/heres-how-ash-wastes-nomads-conduct-insectile-drive-bys-with-their-trusty-dustback-helamites/

I know this belongs more to the Necromunda thread, but I just want people to be aware of the utter cheekiness of rules writers for doing this:

Edit:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/04/19/honourable-imperial-knights-gain-glorious-benefits-for-following-the-code-chivalric

Now the Space Knights can take oaths to uphold their honor.
Or else bring dishonor to your family.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 19, 2022

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/04/19/heres-how-ash-wastes-nomads-conduct-insectile-drive-bys-with-their-trusty-dustback-helamites/

I know this belongs more to the Necromunda thread, but I just want people to be aware of the utter cheekiness of rules writers for doing this:

Edit:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/04/19/honourable-imperial-knights-gain-glorious-benefits-for-following-the-code-chivalric

Now the Space Knights can take oaths to uphold their honor.
Or else bring dishonor to your family.

Huh, if nothing else, that article confirms that Armigers are supposed to have Obsec still, despite the last update removing it.

Padical
Nov 29, 2004
I have to say, after burning out heavily last year on trying to paint two armies and playing Goff orks 2-4 times a month, I am excited for my chaos boys to come back this summer (or fall or whenever). The previews and leaks are looking fun so far and all those CSM troops (I think I have 40) I accidently ended up with might be good with embedded sorcerers, -1 to wound and 4 chainsword attacks.

On the subject of too many new rules, I agree. I like the regular balance changes, but coupled with the rush of codexes and monthly changing meta, I think right now is a good time to chill out and paint and wait for the next few codexes to come out and.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Randalor posted:

Huh, if nothing else, that article confirms that Armigers are supposed to have Obsec still, despite the last update removing it.

It turns out that when a new codex comes out it usually has things in it that weren't in the old codex.