Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

As an aside it is absolutely jawdropping how pivotal a Demi-Phoenix summon can be in CC. Sure, Bahamut is Hella Damage, but if your team is on the brink, Demi-Phoenix can end up being stronger due to the massive HoT and emergency heal.

Plus, a timely Scarlet Flame can save lives with the 50% damage penalty it puts on enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

boloney posted:

Can you see enemy MP?
It's on the enemy party list.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

boloney posted:

Can you see enemy MP?

yes

Note that you can also see each person's LB charge, both on your team and the opponents. Very useful to realize that the dragoon who just had full bar and went untargetable might be Up To Something.

boloney
May 29, 2021
Man, I am stupid

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I posted my UI setup a couple of days ago but the big thing I can recommend is that, even if you're playing a healer, to make your enemy party list bigger or your own party list smaller. You really want the enemy's info accessible and easy to click on via the party list if you can't do it on the field or with a macro.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's hosed up that they make you use the GARO titles to unlock the mounts. I just unlocked <Khloe's Best Friend>, Yoship, how dare you do this to me.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

gotta slap it on your plate

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I do wish you could move the pvp map and party lists. Feels like an oversight.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

You can. They're under Duty in HUD Layout.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kazy posted:

I just had a game where we lost because our DPS ran ahead to the other team's base when the crystal was on our half being actively pushed. :negative:

I had one of those where I was the pusher. Some of our team dies, the rest fall back, their team follows, and I'm just standing there on the crystal wondering what was going on.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Rap Game Goku posted:

I do wish you could move the pvp map and party lists. Feels like an oversight.

Vitamean posted:

You can. They're under Duty in HUD Layout.

You do have to be in the Wolves' Den Pier, otherwise just the PvE stuff shows up.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I've noticed that AST is maybe the least fight-y healer. Like I was 1v1ing with a friend to help them test stuff out and wow, I do basically 0 damage. I don't think I can out-damage people's MP regen. During team fights, I'm throwing out Aspected Benefics and double casts, using cards on cooldown, using Macrocosm on cooldown, making sure to know where my teammates are and try to shield whoever is currently being focused, being with the group so I can buff them with cards/macrocosm/limit break, and if I ever have a break from all that, I'll Gravity+double cast to put a heavy on the enemy team. If fights drag on, since you won't let your team die, but they're not very good at killing, you might eventually run out of charges of everything and get a chance to cast Malefic, but it doesn't feel good, even with the cooldown refund on double cast.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Whilst the arenas being glamours is true, they're also based on real places.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Onean posted:

Judging by being a floating island with the same color scheme, I assume they windy map is from the Sea of Clouds.

The volcano looks to match the one in the Ruby Sea, so that's where I assumed it was.

The thing that threw me out of the Ruby Sea was that Hell's Lid is only one volcano on an island, but the arena has three attached to a mainland.

And what actually interested me was the floating island, because it doesn't look like the Sea Of Clouds but does look like some promo art you see sometimes (specifically I'm thinking of one with the manacutters that I can't find right now).

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Xun posted:

4) Use your full heal potion well. Use it between team fights or when you can LoS the enemy team during a teamfight. Do NOT use it during fights when you still have mp and hp. You are taking yourself out of a fight and that could turn the fight against you. A good example of using the potion during a fight is if you're being focused down, heal up using MP while retreating behind your team and ideally around a nearby corner. Since they were focusing you, hopefully that means the rest of the team is not that damaged and they can keep the fight going while you recover. Also the enemy might have used their cooldowns on you already so your team will have an even easier time holding.

If you somehow end up against a single enemy who has just popped guard (happens all the time when people are trying to drag things out), immediately use the elixir. You either get a free full recovery, or the enemy gets greedy and tries to hit you, dropping the guard.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Onean posted:

You do have to be in the Wolves' Den Pier, otherwise just the PvE stuff shows up.

Ah, I went looking and didn't see it. I'll try it there.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Tamba posted:

If you somehow end up against a single enemy who has just popped guard (happens all the time when people are trying to drag things out), immediately use the elixir. You either get a free full recovery, or the enemy gets greedy and tries to hit you, dropping the guard.

Oooh, I'm going to try this. Thanks.

Is there some trick to dealing with the wind event on that map? I prefer the purity of the map with no map effects, and the bomb one is pretty straightforward, but I have no idea what the gently caress to do in order to not get catapulted into oblivion with the wind event.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

A Moose posted:

I've noticed that AST is maybe the least fight-y healer. Like I was 1v1ing with a friend to help them test stuff out and wow, I do basically 0 damage. I don't think I can out-damage people's MP regen. During team fights, I'm throwing out Aspected Benefics and double casts, using cards on cooldown, using Macrocosm on cooldown, making sure to know where my teammates are and try to shield whoever is currently being focused, being with the group so I can buff them with cards/macrocosm/limit break, and if I ever have a break from all that, I'll Gravity+double cast to put a heavy on the enemy team. If fights drag on, since you won't let your team die, but they're not very good at killing, you might eventually run out of charges of everything and get a chance to cast Malefic, but it doesn't feel good, even with the cooldown refund on double cast.

I was thinking about rocking a bunch of casual games to help level my AST since I don't generally like healing in PvE as much, but are they actually good at keeping their team alive and debuffing the enemy, you think? That's good enough for me to try it out.

e: They seriously should add some of the PvP MCH stuff into their PvE toolkit. Heat blast sucks and should go away imo

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

kung fu jive posted:

Is there some trick to dealing with the wind event on that map? I prefer the purity of the map with no map effects, and the bomb one is pretty straightforward, but I have no idea what the gently caress to do in order to not get catapulted into oblivion with the wind event.

Guard

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

S.J. posted:

I was thinking about rocking a bunch of casual games to help level my AST since I don't generally like healing in PvE as much, but are they actually good at keeping their team alive and debuffing the enemy, you think? That's good enough for me to try it out.

e: They seriously should add some of the PvP MCH stuff into their PvE toolkit. Heat blast sucks and should go away imo
btw, CC gives very little leveling exp

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

kung fu jive posted:

Either have Guard active when the event activates, or position yourself over one of the Chocobo ground markers before you get flung up in the air. The latter will prevent fall damage and also briefly grant you a buff to combat effectiveness.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

kung fu jive posted:

Oooh, I'm going to try this. Thanks.

Look for a chocobo marker. It moves around and gets smaller over time, but if you're standing on it when the knock up occurs you'll catch a feather that negates the fall damage. If you happen to be very far away from the action at the time the wind hits you may avoid it entirely, but that also means you aren't participating in the fight.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Sometimes the feather just doesn't loving work though

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Thank you all. I can't believe I never tried guard lol

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I still don't know where the countdown is for the loving wind lmao

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So how do you set up custom portraits so that they show up at the beginning of a CC match? I’ve made a couple, but they never appear

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Chillgamesh posted:

Snapshotting and delay are very pronounced in pvp right now. I’ve gotten mad being clearly in the circle and getting killed for it. I feel like a king when it does work though.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So how do you set up custom portraits so that they show up at the beginning of a CC match? I’ve made a couple, but they never appear

Right Click -> Set as Instant Portrait

SettingSun posted:

Snapshotting and delay are very pronounced in pvp right now. I’ve gotten mad being clearly in the circle and getting killed for it. I feel like a king when it does work though.

Ahh I should've figured why the reason it was failing to register was that simple. Still feels like they should make it the timing on it a little more generous though.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

You have to set them as your instant portrait - but there's also a bug where if you tie them to gearsets and switch gearsets, it checks to see if the gear portrayed is valid before the gear actually swaps (so you get a default portrait instead). It works if you double-tap the linked gear set though.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

S.J. posted:

Pretty light on the debuffs. As far as I can tell, the only one you have is if you cast Gravity, and then copy it with double cast, which puts a 75% Heavy on the main target and any others in a 5y radius, so you won't be locking anyone down, though it is good if you either get someone separated, or hit multiple targets before they engage on you, to give your team time to engage on your terms.

The shield from double casting Aspected Benefic is pretty chunky and can stop someone from getting focused down, at least long enough for them to Purify + Recuperate, and sometimes you want to cast it on yourself then follow it up with recuperate.

Because of your cards, Macrocosmos, and LB, you want to stick close to the fight, but you don't want to be in front of your team getting focused, so your positioning matters a lot.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Honestly I would love for the next FF MMO to have smaller kits with less overall buttons to press in PvE but much faster paced (akin to Guild Wars 2). I will dream about 2030 when Yoshi finishes the 9th and final expansion for XIV and moves on to the next one.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Cleretic posted:

So, where are the floating island and volcanic CC maps even meant to be, as far as the game world goes? Neither of them quite resemble anywhere we've been.

The wind map is designed after the floating islands of Nym in Outer La Noscea and the bomb map after the volcanic hot springs of the Kobold region.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Chillgamesh posted:

Only one person can get the feather from each spot

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

S.J. posted:

Should be a notification on the lower right of your screen.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
The chocobo circle always dashes around too fast for me to follow or predict, I always just guard it.

Someone asked, the wind countdown is on the left under your party list.at least on PS5 default ui.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Immediately before the wind hits sounds like a funny time to use a war lb.

Especially if it also makes the war immune to the wind (does it?)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Xun posted:

5) You cannot carry your team. Unpopular opinion maybe but getting out of bronze and silver is more up to team RNG than personal skill. Of course becoming more skilled helps, having one or two other good players makes a huge difference. But if you run into a team that refuses to focus, runs in one at a time, are unwilling to push the crystal, there is nothing you can do about it. The games literally get easier and less frustrating the higher up you go in the ranks because people become more willing to coordinate.

I don't play Ranked. I stick to Casual because I don't want to drag down people who are making an earnest effort to be competitive.

That said, thank you for the advice, I'll try to work on following it as best I can.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

S.J. posted:

It's the same UI element that announces the kills. You should move it somewhere where you can actually see it.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

there's a notice and countdown that appears in the killfeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

hazardousmouse posted:

The chocobo circle always dashes around too fast for me to follow or predict, I always just guard it.

Someone asked, the wind countdown is on the left under your party list.at least on PS5 default ui.

If you pop Sprint it makes getting to the circle a lot easier, especially since it slows to a crawl for the last two seconds.