Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maybe it's a size thing, if you're big enough it's like fighting a moose with your car, yes you might gently caress the moose up but you're gonna come off worse, moose are free in the woods, your car cost you money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Gwaint posted:

At the rate things are going I will not be voting Labour in any upcoming elections. I will spoil my ballot as a way to broadcast, in a very minor and controlled sense, the absolute rage I feel that there is no credible left option.

Same. I've been voting 'tactically' for most of my adult life and the tories are still in power. At least I'll feel less lovely spoiling.

Maugrim posted:

Going by the house I live in a lot of the remaining uninsulated stock is because they are rented out by landlords who don't give a poo poo about their tenants' energy bills. If the govt came up with a scheme to somehow force the issue rather than just giving "incentives" that would probably score a good few easy wins.

The majority of places are actually under insulated. Mine is for example. I could pay out of pocket but it would take atleast 5 years to recoup the cost, I'm not planing on being here that long.

The tories tried their little system but made it so annoying to use most Labourers backed out, not a single insulator with the scheme was in my town.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Borrovan posted:

Don't they also have the rule that pedestrians have priority at junctions? Turning on a red light kind of relies on motorists respecting that.

I think trying to tell most drivers there that would go about as well as most discussions about cyclists on roads here.

I like my car for hiking and holidays and so on but It’s absurd that it’s cheaper for me to drive it to work (and get a chunk out of my payslip for parking) than to take the bus. And I’d still prefer to take the bus, except 10% of the time on my route it flat doesn’t show up and then oops you’re late for work. In conclusion 420 nationalise it.

Thanks for the SDL education, i was obviously ignorant!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

kecske posted:

there's a parenting thread for actual parenting stuff and a cspam parents thread for when you want to talk about the joys of painstakingly wiping poop out from babbys individual nutsack folds

Sweet! Going to bookmark and read this. Going to absorb all sorts of parenting advice by habit reading a thread. You know, the Goon way of doing things.

OwlFancier posted:

Now you have me wondering if everyone being locked up in 2020/21 just meant you all started shagging and there is some sort of quarantine baby boom happening.

I remember back around the start of Lockdown, people were debating about having kids. (Since me and a few other posters were talking about partners/gf/wives being Up the Duff.)
I remember there were a number of posters going "now is the wrong time to bring a kid into the world" and "it will cause a huge strain on the future health service."

In fact, thinking on it, it was partly inspired by some goon or preper talking about how to survive Lockdown and the Pandemic and plan for the future and their list was floating around.
It had a point about "don't be getting pregnant. It will cause too many problems in the future."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Question IRL posted:

It had a point about "don't be getting pregnant. It will cause too many problems in the future."

IMO this has been true for hundreds of thousands of years.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"To the regret of pessimists, our primitive ancestors could not see that theirs was not a time in which to produce children."

Late capitalism seems to be doing a better job though.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

IMO this has been true for hundreds of thousands of years.

Except now we also have to be afraid of our descendents developing Tenet technology or Terminators to kill us for the injustice of bringing them into being

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Except now we also have to be afraid of our descendents developing Tenet technology or Terminators to kill us for the injustice of bringing them into being

If your children aren't killing you for that reason I don't think it is reasonable to expect your robots to do it, which after all are just high maintenence children.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Usually leave the backdoor open so the cat can come and go as she pleases but today a seagull came in, ate all the cat food, went into the living room and either barfed or shat on the floor and the couch and then proceeded to fly into the window enough times to presumably give itself brain damage rather than just go back the way it came.

And it flew into the window hard, only reason I knew anything was up was hearing random banging while in my room. And then I come through to check and get a surprise and the stupid oval office still wouldn't let me near the window.

So now I have sick to clean up and greasy smears all over the window. This has ruined my mood. Seagulls loving suck, moron animals

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm defending myself against potential future time-travelling descendants by simply making the planet too hosed up for them to live on. Putting my newspapers in normal waste rather than recycling, not turning off my lights when I leave the room, developing world-ending doomsday weapons, using plastic straws, and so on.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Maugrim posted:

Going by the house I live in a lot of the remaining uninsulated stock is because they are rented out by landlords who don't give a poo poo about their tenants' energy bills. If the govt came up with a scheme to somehow force the issue rather than just giving "incentives" that would probably score a good few easy wins.

A combined rent cap of energy costs and rent. So a home that is expensive to heat eats into the potential rent a landlord can charge.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Usually leave the backdoor open so the cat can come and go as she pleases but today a seagull came in, ate all the cat food, went into the living room and either barfed or shat on the floor and the couch and then proceeded to fly into the window enough times to presumably give itself brain damage rather than just go back the way it came.

And it flew into the window hard, only reason I knew anything was up was hearing random banging while in my room. And then I come through to check and get a surprise and the stupid oval office still wouldn't let me near the window.

So now I have sick to clean up and greasy smears all over the window. This has ruined my mood. Seagulls loving suck, moron animals

One of them smacked me in the face last week trying to steal the ice cream out of my mouth, rat bastard didn't get it though.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I've never opened my bedroom window since the time I found a pigeon sitting on top of my wardrobe. Took nearly an hour to get the brainless gently caress out the same way it came in rather than flying directly into the ceiling.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Has anyone got experience of rehoming a cat that's used to being able to go outside into an indoor only cat?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Runcible Cat posted:

God almighty I can actually feel my soul trying to crawl out of my ears to get away from this broken world:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2022/apr/18/piers-morgan-compares-himself-nelson-mandela-free-speech

It's amazing how this man keeps landing on his feet, I don't think he's ever had something interesting to say.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

bessantj posted:

It's amazing how this man keeps landing on his feet, I don't think he's ever had something interesting to say.

He mastered the disgust/outrage machine long before that was widely recognised as the moneymaker of the attention economy. Probably because he is inherently disgusting and his continued existence is an outrage.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Cohen would be saying boo-urns.

bessantj posted:

It's been my theory for years that he's only getting work because he's got dirt on others in the media

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He slathers himself in his own feces professionally, not enormously surprising that people will pay him to do that.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Lungboy posted:

Has anyone got experience of rehoming a cat that's used to being able to go outside into an indoor only cat?

honestly, my opinion is: don't

the cat will be very upset about not being able to go out and will let you know about it as often as possible

it'll probably get used to it eventually but it won't be a quick or pleasant learning experience

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

OwlFancier posted:

He slathers himself in his own feces professionally, not enormously surprising that people will pay him to do that.

Yeah now that you mention it I feel like I floated my theory before somewhere and the response was 'senseless to assume media people would have the taste and decency NOT to employ him'

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Basically some people like to watch him do that because they think he is a troglodyte, and some people like to watch him do that because they think that being covered in feces is cool and good and wish that they could do the same.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

These people are ill.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I could not even remotely be assed with having a kid. Why would you do that to yourself. I'm not even being edgy, I completely earnestly cannot think of any positives bar the warm fuzzy 'can't quite describe it' unconditional love thing people describe, which I'm doing just fine without and kinda sounds more stressful than anything else tbh, like a cigarette addiction. I genuinely do not really understand people who want children, they're tamagotchis but you go to jail if they die. I wish I did, but eh. Admittedly this is probably up there as one of my goonier opinions but I've been struck by how little it has changed throughout my life despite every busybody going pulling the 'you'll understand when you're a bit older' line for as long as I can remember.

E: sorry this came off as way more aggro than I intended it to. This is purely a personal thing and I didn't intend any shade towards anyone else. Congrats to any new parents and I'm happy for you all, even if I don't understand you at all and think you're a little bit mad!

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 19, 2022

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Nah I totally understand that viewpoint. There are lots of upshots* to having a kid and my wife and I talked through it a lot before going ahead with it. There's a lot of obvious drawbacks (time, money, sleep :( ) and I could happily have continued life without a kid. If we didn't have the income and savings we have now we probably wouldn't have had a kid. But I believe there's a lot of fun to be had being a parent and I'm glad I'm having that experience.

Sometimes though, sometimes, when I'm running on zero sleep and he's crying, i am jealous of the childless

*I spent all my life thinking "upshot" meant "benefit" and learned last week that it just means "result". If the person who invented that word is reading this: why did you put "up" in it, you idiot, you complete moron

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Before you go ahead with such a large change, you have to consider the updog.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ThomasPaine posted:

Admittedly this is probably up there as one of my goonier opinions

My good bro have you considered becoming a mod on /r/childfree? It has its upshots and downsides

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Lungboy posted:

My cat didn't seem to care when I moved into a flat.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Julio Cruz posted:

the cat will be very upset about not being able to go out and will let you know about it as often as possible

it'll probably get used to it eventually but it won't be a quick or pleasant learning experience

Beg to differ.

Bobby, our tuxedo-boy, lived completely outside when we first took him in (in a Wendy House in next door’s garden), spent most of his time outside when we lived in London (there was a lovely older man down the road who he’d hit up for extra meals- he was getting so far we called him Bobstopher Jones) and then was transitioned to completely inside when we moved to the country (foxes, dogs, badgers and a fast if not busy road just outside our drive). Aside from the occasional walk on a harness he’s been entirely confined to quarters and quite happy with it.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Can't wait for Kieth to whip to abstain on the Johnston liar vote

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

On local elections chat are TUSC still mostly okay or have they gotten poo poo and I haven't paid attention? Not voting labour and the greens and lib dems are doing some weird pact where they don't get any votes but claim it's a victory so gently caress that.

On child chat I got the snip last year so I never have to care about having kids. Best decision I made.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Julio Cruz posted:

Angrymog posted:

My cat didn't seem to care when I moved into a flat.

So a coin flip between happy and upset? Argh.

For context, it's my cat but when my wife and I moved out of mum's we left the cat with her as mum is elderly and disabled. Mum's now gone into a care home temporarily and is likely to be in there for a minimum of 6 weeks so we'd like to bring the cat back to live with us. However, she's massively territorial and there are loads of cats around here already so we'd like to keep her in.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Flayer posted:

Can't wait for Kieth to whip to abstain on the Johnston liar vote

He can't be seen to be 'playing politics'.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Lungboy posted:

For context, it's my cat but when my wife and I moved out of mum's we left the cat with her as mum is elderly and disabled. Mum's now gone into a care home temporarily and is likely to be in there for a minimum of 6 weeks so we'd like to bring the cat back to live with us. However, she's massively territorial and there are loads of cats around here already so we'd like to keep her in.

The pet forum has a cat thread, you can probably get solid advice there

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The pet forum has a cat thread, you can probably get solid advice there

But other fora are scary and full of terrors! (thanks, i'll have a look)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Lungboy posted:

Cats are individuals so yeah, you don't know what you're going to get. I imagine they'll adjust eventually but it's going to depend on the specific cat. I've avoided this problem by always having had indoors cats, that being the norm back when I lived in the US anyway and I've kept it up since. Better for local wildlife, better for the cat's life expectancy, better for my peace of my mind, and they've never seemed too fussed as long as they have somewhere they can gently caress off to when they don't want to deal with humans.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

I could not even remotely be assed with having a kid.
I think I'm kind of coming at it from the opposite direction in that I'd love kids, and I want a family, but I just don't think I'm strong enough. I can't hold down a job, I'm exhausted all the time, my wife and I struggle to look after ourselves and the dog let alone another incredibly vulnerable human being. Like I think about being a dad and it's all I want for life goals, but then I think about what I have to do to get there and I just can't see it.

Maybe if the basics of existence - food & safe housing - were taken care of we could think about it but as it stands she's worn out from work and I'm just constantly exhausted, and the NHS don't seem to give enough of a poo poo to diagnose me with anything, and the DWP are in full gaslight mode about even the disabilities that I do have objective proof of.

haakman
May 5, 2011
Just watched BJ in the Commons.

I'm usually a lurker (I think I've posted 10 times since 2011). My dad died of Rona on 19th June 2020, coincidentally the same day of one of the parties. I was allowed to see him wearing full PPE and through a window for the majority of the time. He wasn't ventilated (he was a walking co-morbidity) but it was not a good death - I've been left with images which will stay with me for the rest of my life, despite 2 years of therapy. We had 8 people at the funeral - we couldn't invite all of his brothers and sisters, as there are 13 of them.

I know, rationally, that this party stuff is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, given the cost of living crisis and climate change gigafucking us like a 1st run on Radahn, but it makes me so angry - I genuinely think anyone who votes for the Conservatives is a monster, regardless of whether it is through ignorance or malice now (whereas before I may have given them some leeway for ignorace). gently caress the lot of them, I wish only bad things on them (I'd eat a probe for saying what I really think at the moment).

Just an anecdote about why this party stuff might matter to a lot of people I guess.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
It's the most consequential thing in the world, man. I'm so sorry for what happened to you. Your feelings are valid. Your rage is valuable.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I think I'm kind of coming at it from the opposite direction in that I'd love kids, and I want a family, but I just don't think I'm strong enough. I can't hold down a job, I'm exhausted all the time, my wife and I struggle to look after ourselves and the dog let alone another incredibly vulnerable human being. Like I think about being a dad and it's all I want for life goals, but then I think about what I have to do to get there and I just can't see it.

Maybe if the basics of existence - food & safe housing - were taken care of we could think about it but as it stands she's worn out from work and I'm just constantly exhausted, and the NHS don't seem to give enough of a poo poo to diagnose me with anything, and the DWP are in full gaslight mode about even the disabilities that I do have objective proof of.

Yeah this is pretty much exactly where I'm at too. That and I can do the 'be kind' of the advice given earlier, but I'd really struggle with the 'be present' part. Oh, and also I fear I'd turn on the kid, especially if it was a boy, especially if he reminded on me.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

feedmegin posted:

Cats are individuals so yeah, you don't know what you're going to get. I imagine they'll adjust eventually but it's going to depend on the specific cat. I've avoided this problem by always having had indoors cats, that being the norm back when I lived in the US anyway and I've kept it up since. Better for local wildlife, better for the cat's life expectancy, better for my peace of my mind, and they've never seemed too fussed as long as they have somewhere they can gently caress off to when they don't want to deal with humans.

yeah it'll absolutely vary from one cat to the next and depending on the circumstances involved, I was probably too generalising in my original post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Julio Cruz posted:

yeah it'll absolutely vary from one cat to the next and depending on the circumstances involved, I was probably too generalising in my original post

Yeah, I once rented a first floor flat and moved in with 2 cats who were used to garden access. The younger lad couldn't have given less of a poo poo but the older girl spent most of her time at the back window trying to scrabble her way out.

They'll let you know their opinions quick enough...

Ed: and they were both garden users when they had the opportunity, it was just one wasn't bothered either way and the other definitely was.

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 19, 2022